Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Strange Bedfellows with A Good Idea - OTC Birth Control Pills - A Winner IMO

Message 11 of 29

@mickstuder wrote:

When I pay my Triple A - Automobile Association of America (AAA) Bill - I don't feel Guilty when my car breaks down and I call AAA for a FREE tow

Same Thing When I pay my Car Insurance Bill & I pay extra to have Windshield Coverage & when my Wifes Windshield becomes all pitted because of all the Highway Driving she does - I don't feel Guilty calling to have the Windshield Replaced for FREE

Insurance Premiums are not Sky High because people use the Coverage they pay for

Insurance Premiums are Sky High because of Corporate Greed & Shareholders Interests

HINT: - Here is a link to just the Top 83 Propoerty & Casualty Insurance Companies Dividends

https://www.dividend.com/dividend-stocks/financial/property-and-casualty-insurance/

I'll be happy to get you the Life Insurance - Car Insurance - Health Insurance - listings as well - their Dividends are even higher

As far as -

"Sex and birth control should be a woman's choice and responsibility - both are a normal course of life and should be handled as such; especially in this day and age"

Unfortunately Sex & Birth Control are No More Solely A Womans Choice & Responsibility Than The Choice of Crops or Live Stock For Soy Bean & Pig Farmers in the Midwest

There are more Outside Forces applied to all these areas then ever B4

No I'm not for other people picking up the Tab

I'm for Honest Debate - Fairness & Equity

Just Like Rep Cortez

Always thought that FREE towing was a perk of membership on Triple A - What do you think would happen to the size of your bill if millions of people with the same coverage as you started to call the towing company to use this benefit ONCE A MONTH instead of just occassionally?

What do you think would happen to your auto comprehensive coverage premium if millions of people with the same coverage started getting their windshield fixed ONCE A MONTH instead of just occassionally?

Yes, ALL insurance premiums escalate because of people using their coverage to fix something - health, homeowners, auto. 

I do not understand your comment about sex and birth control not being a woman's responsibility.  They are about as major as you can get in priority in a woman's life - If you are active in one (SEX) you had better take care of the other (birth control) or reap the consequences which could be life changing.  It is so much easier to have a plan already in place and then there is always the backup plans of Plan B (emergency conraception) which is already OTC or RU486 (pharmaceutical abortion) available up to about 10 weeks.  Believe me, I know.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Strange Bedfellows with A Good Idea - OTC Birth Control Pills - A Winner IMO

Message 12 of 29

@rker321 wrote:

but that was not my question. it was about this new pill I imagine that if you can have birth control pills what is new about this one. and what this one can bring to you that others can't

and unfortunately, there is that group of women that cannot take birth control pills and their risk of a pregnancy is quite high

Again will anyone deal with the fact that presidencies are always the burden of females.?

and when there will be comprehension of that fact and so that we can sort of equal the responsibilities.

@rker321 

You have lost me - What "new" birth control pill ???

If they cannot take birth control pills then there is always the  IUD - many of them on the market - but those have to be inserted by a medical professional.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 29

@GailL1 wrote:

@mickstuder 

Sounds like you would be all for it as long as some other entity picks up the tab.

Sex and birth control should be a woman's choice and responsibility - both are a normal course of life and should be handled as such; especially in this day and age.

Perhaps we should ask somebody else to buy menstrual products each month?  Better yet, why not just package them together - menstrual products and birth control pills.

This is a great example of why health insurance premiums are out of sight high.  We look for somebody else to pay for everyday type health items - I am surprised that they weren't mandated to cover menstrual items too.  Health insurance should have better uses.

BTW, AOC did put in her tweet on support for OTC birth control pills that they should also be . . . . WAIT FOR IT ...................... The favorite Democrat word ................................ FREE !

When I pay my Triple A - Automobile Association of America (AAA) Bill - I don't feel Guilty when my car breaks down and I call AAA for a FREE tow

Same Thing When I pay my Car Insurance Bill & I pay extra to have Windshield Coverage & when my Wifes Windshield becomes all pitted because of all the Highway Driving she does - I don't feel Guilty calling to have the Windshield Replaced for FREE

Insurance Premiums are not Sky High because people use the Coverage they pay for

Insurance Premiums are Sky High because of Corporate Greed & Shareholders Interests

HINT: - Here is a link to just the Top 83 Propoerty & Casualty Insurance Companies Dividends

https://www.dividend.com/dividend-stocks/financial/property-and-casualty-insurance/

I'll be happy to get you the Life Insurance - Car Insurance - Health Insurance - listings as well - their Dividends are even higher

As far as -

"Sex and birth control should be a woman's choice and responsibility - both are a normal course of life and should be handled as such; especially in this day and age"

Unfortunately Sex & Birth Control are No More Solely A Womans Choice & Responsibility Than The Choice of Crops or Live Stock For Soy Bean & Pig Farmers in the Midwest

There are more Outside Forces applied to all these areas then ever B4

No I'm not for other people picking up the Tab

I'm for Honest Debate - Fairness & Equity

Just Like Rep Cortez

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 29

@mickstuder 

Sounds like you would be all for it as long as some other entity picks up the tab.

Sex and birth control should be a woman's choice and responsibility - both are a normal course of life and should be handled as such; especially in this day and age.

Perhaps we should ask somebody else to buy menstrual products each month?  Better yet, why not just package them together - menstrual products and birth control pills.

This is a great example of why health insurance premiums are out of sight high.  We look for somebody else to pay for everyday type health items - I am surprised that they weren't mandated to cover menstrual items too.  Health insurance should have better uses.

BTW, AOC did put in her tweet on support for OTC birth control pills that they should also be . . . . WAIT FOR IT ...................... The favorite Democrat word ................................ FREE !

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 29

@rker321 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

YaHoo News 06/12/2019 - Ted Cruz wants to join AOC to legalize over-the-counter birth control

Politics is making strange bedfellows again out of archconservative Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and far-left liberal Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y.

Two weeks after making headlines for a pledge to work together on legislation prohibiting members of Congress from becoming lobbyists, Cruz and Ocasio-Cortez are on the same side of another issue.

Cruz reached out to the freshman lawmaker Wednesday on Twitter in response to a tweet in which she called for birth control to be made available over the counter.

YES - Makes Sense.

. . . .  Proponents of making birth control an over-the-counter medication say that women face higher costs from doctor’s visits and insurance copayments than they would if the pill were simply available without a prescription. On the other hand, insurance plans with drug coverage may cover birth control prescriptions, whereas over-the-counter drugs are usually paid for out of pocket.

Cruz is adopting a position already held by some Republicans who want to make birth control pills easier to obtain in order to reduce the number of abortions. In April, Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, and Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Colo., introduced a bill titled the Allowing Greater Access to Safe and Effective Contraception Act, which would fast-track the process of converting the pill into an over-the-counter medication.

Planned Parenthood has opposed such legislation, saying on its website that it would “force women to go back to the days when they paid out of pocket for birth control — which can cost upwards of $600 a year.”

This sounds like they aren't so much for stopping un-intended pregnancies but for keeping subsidies for them.  Come on, Women, Step Up - take Control of your own lives !

Republicans have also sought to amend the Affordable Care Act so that patients could use flexible spending accounts and health savings accounts to pay for birth control. Some Democrats argue that such moves are designed to further undermine the ACA and would ultimately drive up costs for birth control.

A 2017 survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 74 percent of women favored making oral contraceptive pills available over the counter. In the same poll, however, 75 percent of women surveyed said that their insurance fully covered the costs of prescription birth control, up from just 45 percent in 2013.

Everything in this post makes sense to me. although I have questions. after making this pill over the counter, would it eliminate the doctors visits that would help indicate to a Doctor whether this pill is ok for that woman or not?

Follow up visits? will they be necessary? 

With continuous use, are they safe?

and just this question for you Gail. when will they invent a pill for men that will alleviate the burden of pregnancy for women?

EVERYTHING IN THE POST MAKES SENSE TO YOU?

But then after that conclusion you have 6 questions

Just Cruz Reaching Out To Cortez Should Be Enough to Raise Red Flags 4 Anyone

This is a Piece of Legislation that would only benefit - Rich Woman & The Shareholders of Pharmaceutical Companies - Again

Responding to a recent tweet by Ocasio-Cortez, Cruz proposed a “simple, clean bill” to do just that: increase access to birth control over the counter.

Yet, due to a quirk in federal health law,

Cruz’s proposal would do very little to actually expand access to birth control.

Though the Affordable Care Act requires insurers to cover contraceptive care, they only need to do so if the birth control is prescribed by a medical professional.

Thus, a clean bill that simply makes birth control available over-the-counter, without expanding the rules governing insurers, will not meaningfully expand access to contraception.

Patients would still need to go through the trouble of obtaining a prescription if they don’t want to pay for their birth control out-of-pocket.

At best, a clean bill would benefit relatively wealthy individuals who can afford to pay for the convenience of quickly buying birth control without first talking to a doctor.

Source - https://thinkprogress.org/please-aoc-dont-fall-into-ted-cruzs-birth-control-trap-72eb22cef154/

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 29

@GailL1 wrote:

@rker321 

For most people, birth control pills are safe but like I said, a woman needs to see her doctor before beginning any form of birth control to pick the best method for herself based on her body, lifestyle, age, perhaps family history. etc. 

https://www.choosingwisely.org/patient-resources/pelvic-exams-pap-tests-and-oral-contraceptives/

Before you get birth control pills, your doctor should always do a basic medical exam and:

• Check your blood pressure.
  • Ask if you’ve ever had blood clots.
  • Ask if you smoke.

High blood pressure, blood clots, and smoking are risk factors. If you have a risk factor, you should consider other forms of birth control. Birth control pills may not be a good choice.

After deciding on the best method, only an occassional revisit to doc would be necessary as long as everything is working as planned.  The woman and her doc could just review it at intervals, say with some needed preventive care visits.

In some states, right now, a pharmacist can prescribe birth control pills. 

Pharmacy Times 11/16/2016: Pharmacists Prescribing Birth Control: Improving Access and Advancing the...

Gail what you have stated is not new, we as women know about when birth control pills are safe for women and the causes and risk factors.

but that was not my question. it was about this new pill I imagine that if you can have birth control pills what is new about this one. and what this one can bring to you that others can't

and unfortunately, there is that group of women that cannot take birth control pills and their risk of a pregnancy is quite high

Again will anyone deal with the fact that presidencies are always the burden of females.?

and when there will be comprehension of that fact and so that we can sort of equal the responsibilities.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 29

@rker321 

For most people, birth control pills are safe but like I said, a woman needs to see her doctor before beginning any form of birth control to pick the best method for herself based on her body, lifestyle, age, perhaps family history. etc. 

https://www.choosingwisely.org/patient-resources/pelvic-exams-pap-tests-and-oral-contraceptives/

Before you get birth control pills, your doctor should always do a basic medical exam and:

• Check your blood pressure.
  • Ask if you’ve ever had blood clots.
  • Ask if you smoke.

High blood pressure, blood clots, and smoking are risk factors. If you have a risk factor, you should consider other forms of birth control. Birth control pills may not be a good choice.

After deciding on the best method, only an occassional revisit to doc would be necessary as long as everything is working as planned.  The woman and her doc could just review it at intervals, say with some needed preventive care visits.

In some states, right now, a pharmacist can prescribe birth control pills. 

Pharmacy Times 11/16/2016: Pharmacists Prescribing Birth Control: Improving Access and Advancing the...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 29

@GailL1 wrote:

YaHoo News 06/12/2019 - Ted Cruz wants to join AOC to legalize over-the-counter birth control

Politics is making strange bedfellows again out of archconservative Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and far-left liberal Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y.

Two weeks after making headlines for a pledge to work together on legislation prohibiting members of Congress from becoming lobbyists, Cruz and Ocasio-Cortez are on the same side of another issue.

Cruz reached out to the freshman lawmaker Wednesday on Twitter in response to a tweet in which she called for birth control to be made available over the counter.

YES - Makes Sense.

. . . .  Proponents of making birth control an over-the-counter medication say that women face higher costs from doctor’s visits and insurance copayments than they would if the pill were simply available without a prescription. On the other hand, insurance plans with drug coverage may cover birth control prescriptions, whereas over-the-counter drugs are usually paid for out of pocket.

Cruz is adopting a position already held by some Republicans who want to make birth control pills easier to obtain in order to reduce the number of abortions. In April, Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, and Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Colo., introduced a bill titled the Allowing Greater Access to Safe and Effective Contraception Act, which would fast-track the process of converting the pill into an over-the-counter medication.

Planned Parenthood has opposed such legislation, saying on its website that it would “force women to go back to the days when they paid out of pocket for birth control — which can cost upwards of $600 a year.”

This sounds like they aren't so much for stopping un-intended pregnancies but for keeping subsidies for them.  Come on, Women, Step Up - take Control of your own lives !

Republicans have also sought to amend the Affordable Care Act so that patients could use flexible spending accounts and health savings accounts to pay for birth control. Some Democrats argue that such moves are designed to further undermine the ACA and would ultimately drive up costs for birth control.

A 2017 survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 74 percent of women favored making oral contraceptive pills available over the counter. In the same poll, however, 75 percent of women surveyed said that their insurance fully covered the costs of prescription birth control, up from just 45 percent in 2013.

Everything in this post makes sense to me. although I have questions. after making this pill over the counter, would it eliminate the doctors visits that would help indicate to a Doctor whether this pill is ok for that woman or not?

Follow up visits? will they be necessary? 

With continuous use, are they safe?

and just this question for you Gail. when will they invent a pill for men that will alleviate the burden of pregnancy for women?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 29

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

It’s about making it affordable enough women that can purchase it.  They won’t use what they can’t afford. 

Think that goes without saying - the price often has to be competitive to succeed when introduced in the market.  But there are other cost that also must be considered - while a doctor check up should be done before choosing a birth control method - hopefully, if going on The Pill, repeated visits for an Rx renewal won't be required.  There also won't be any copays and the female consumer can shop around easily for the best price - then there is always "SALES" and coupons.

Plus I look at the cost it will save other (insured) consumers (premium cost) if it is not covered anymore under health insurance.  If they have a FSA, they most likely will be covered under that type of plan as other OTC meds are.

Convenience (saving time) is also a big deal to many younger women in today's busy society.

That degrades the whole concept of insurance, though. Spreading the risk among a large population, most of which aren’t heavy users. 

Remove BC from insurance plans. Why? Why not remove diabetes meds, cholesterol meds, high blood pressure meds? I don’t use any of those, so why should I have to pay for others who do?   Because it’s insurance.....

Oh Don't Worry - Folks like Gail and the other Pharmaceutical/Health Insurance Share Holders will be trying to boost their Dividends and Stock Values trying to eliminate all those Medications from Covered by Insurance to buy it OTC at Retail Instead

Lower Health Insurance Overhead but not Premiums

Increase Pharmaceutical Company Revenues - The Buying Public has NO PBM (Pharmacy Benefit Managers) Representing them

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 29

@GailL1 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

It’s about making it affordable enough women that can purchase it.  They won’t use what they can’t afford. 

Think that goes without saying - the price often has to be competitive to succeed when introduced in the market.  But there are other cost that also must be considered - while a doctor check up should be done before choosing a birth control method - hopefully, if going on The Pill, repeated visits for an Rx renewal won't be required.  There also won't be any copays and the female consumer can shop around easily for the best price - then there is always "SALES" and coupons.

Plus I look at the cost it will save other (insured) consumers (premium cost) if it is not covered anymore under health insurance.  If they have a FSA, they most likely will be covered under that type of plan as other OTC meds are.

Convenience (saving time) is also a big deal to many younger women in today's busy society.

That degrades the whole concept of insurance, though. Spreading the risk among a large population, most of which aren’t heavy users. 

Remove BC from insurance plans. Why? Why not remove diabetes meds, cholesterol meds, high blood pressure meds? I don’t use any of those, so why should I have to pay for others who do?   Because it’s insurance.....

Kudos
Views