Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Strange Bedfellows with A Good Idea - OTC Birth Control Pills - A Winner IMO

Message 1 of 29

Yeah and while you're at all that - trade the XYZ for the TBD and then one of your local Pharmacies might offer a PDQ - if not - Sams Clubs has a ROFL and Very Large Shopping Carts

See this is the problem

People learn by doing, give them universal health care of some sort and they will learn how to use it.

Take the ACA as an example, since we already have it.

You can buy a HSA on the exchange, I have one.

You can put $ 3500 personal and $ 7000 family in it, I do it.

Poor people can't do that because they don't have money, but don't imagine poor people are stupid, they're not, give them a pre charged HSA account and they'll lean how to use it.

True Story

When I was a kid growing up I knew a poor dirt farmer, Italian immigrant, old woman living alone, she always said she was 58 but she was probably 78. Spoke broken English, couldn't read or write, but she knew how to count money.

She had a little truck farm, grew vegetables, went to the market in Baltimore and bought fish, in her 1/2 cargo van which she hired some local kid to drive for her. Took that stuff to poor neighborhoods in Baltimore and sold fresh fish and vegetables.

She would ride though those neighboods shouting  , Fish, Fish, Fresh Fish. People would come out and buy her fish and vegtables. Always carried cash, a big wad of cash, and far as I know was never robbed in the worst part of town. 

Inner city food deserts and organic farming are something we talk about today, but they were something she did something about fifty years ago.

She was illiterate, and hardly ever took a bath, but she wasn't stupid.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Strange Bedfellows with A Good Idea - OTC Birth Control Pills - A Winner IMO

Message 2 of 29

@MaVolta wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

So if they are covered under ACA (insurance must cover at 100%) and covered under Medicaid, then what's the big deal? If they went to OTC drugs rather than scripts from their doctors, I don't see how that would improve anything, and could potentially make it worse.

Women of childbearing years should be seeing their doctors on a regular basis for other screenings not just scripts. They adjust the guidelines periodically based on patient's age, health, and risk factors. I think it's worth an occasional co-pay to have preventative care in place. If they quit going because OTC is available, then I suspect we might start to see an increase in cancers or other health issues that were not caught early on.

Also, I noticed that while Medicaid covers conventional birth control, it does not cover the morning after pill. Maybe that's what needs to change. Since it isn't covered by Medicaid, then it may explain why it isn't used more often, or perhaps that option isn't being explained to patients as it should be. 

The whole thing with Cruz and AOC sounds like a political solution in search of a problem.

Yes  that is a  big concern, if we make those pills OTC how many women will not go to a doctor and see if they should continue taking  birth control pills or not. that is why terminations should always be available to be able to deal with those presidencies that arise for other causes that have nothing to do with neglect. but of counse what to men know about that.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 29

@GailL1 wrote:

@MaVolta wrote:

I thought that ACA had mandated coverage for contraceptive birth control. What they need is mandated coverage (low cost or free) under Medicaid for women who are on that program. 

The hangup on the right stems from the Catholic church, and maybe a few evangelicals, that "forbids" the use of bc. My personal opinion is that it's none of their business.

Medicaid covers birth control of choice -  it has been that way for a very long time - before the ACA actually.  If religious reasons are a concern, it is because of the beneficiary's preference - not Medicaid or the government.

Medicaid.gov - Contraception in Medicaid: Improving Maternal and Infant Health

Longstanding Medicaid regulations at 42 CFR 441.20 specifically require that beneficiaries must be free to choose the method of family planning to be used and must be free from coercionor mental pressure in making that choice. This requirement applies to all aspects of an individual’s decision, including the decision to start or insert a method and the decision to stop or remove a method. Additionally, states must ensure an individual’s decision to use any contraceptive method does not impact their ability to access other medical services

So if they are covered under ACA (insurance must cover at 100%) and covered under Medicaid, then what's the big deal? If they went to OTC drugs rather than scripts from their doctors, I don't see how that would improve anything, and could potentially make it worse.

Women of childbearing years should be seeing their doctors on a regular basis for other screenings not just scripts. They adjust the guidelines periodically based on patient's age, health, and risk factors. I think it's worth an occasional co-pay to have preventative care in place. If they quit going because OTC is available, then I suspect we might start to see an increase in cancers or other health issues that were not caught early on.

Also, I noticed that while Medicaid covers conventional birth control, it does not cover the morning after pill. Maybe that's what needs to change. Since it isn't covered by Medicaid, then it may explain why it isn't used more often, or perhaps that option isn't being explained to patients as it should be. 

The whole thing with Cruz and AOC sounds like a political solution in search of a problem.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 29

@rker321 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

@GailL1- IMO -that's a distortion of the facts to support your position... I don't buy that...

Does your argument support having the cost of Erectile Dysfunction medication and a vasectomy be entirely paid for by the individual male, and not by employer funded insurance?

Good for the goose is good for the gander - will republican males go along with paying for their "issues"?

Well Alferd, you just gave me an idea. lol  perhaps it would ok fo pay for those services, and make sure that they have the responsibility  to be able to deal with their actions regarding the pregnancies they they are part of.

Republican/conservative males have been ducking responsibility for their actions for well over a century - there's no reason to believe they will suddenly start acting morally and ethically and start paying for the results of their actions - unless multiple penalties result from their being and acting like stereotypical conservative males...

Isn't it a wonderful thing that when DNA identifies a male as the father of a child, and he fails to pay ordered child support - he loses his driver's license as well as all other professional licenses?

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 29

@MaVolta wrote:

I thought that ACA had mandated coverage for contraceptive birth control. What they need is mandated coverage (low cost or free) under Medicaid for women who are on that program. 

The hangup on the right stems from the Catholic church, and maybe a few evangelicals, that "forbids" the use of bc. My personal opinion is that it's none of their business.

Medicaid covers birth control of choice -  it has been that way for a very long time - before the ACA actually.  If religious reasons are a concern, it is because of the beneficiary's preference - not Medicaid or the government.

Medicaid.gov - Contraception in Medicaid: Improving Maternal and Infant Health

Longstanding Medicaid regulations at 42 CFR 441.20 specifically require that beneficiaries must be free to choose the method of family planning to be used and must be free from coercionor mental pressure in making that choice. This requirement applies to all aspects of an individual’s decision, including the decision to start or insert a method and the decision to stop or remove a method. Additionally, states must ensure an individual’s decision to use any contraceptive method does not impact their ability to access other medical services

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 29

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 29

@GailL1 wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

When I pay my Triple A - Automobile Association of America (AAA) Bill - I don't feel Guilty when my car breaks down and I call AAA for a FREE tow

Same Thing When I pay my Car Insurance Bill & I pay extra to have Windshield Coverage & when my Wifes Windshield becomes all pitted because of all the Highway Driving she does - I don't feel Guilty calling to have the Windshield Replaced for FREE

Insurance Premiums are not Sky High because people use the Coverage they pay for

Insurance Premiums are Sky High because of Corporate Greed & Shareholders Interests

HINT: - Here is a link to just the Top 83 Propoerty & Casualty Insurance Companies Dividends

https://www.dividend.com/dividend-stocks/financial/property-and-casualty-insurance/

I'll be happy to get you the Life Insurance - Car Insurance - Health Insurance - listings as well - their Dividends are even higher

As far as -

"Sex and birth control should be a woman's choice and responsibility - both are a normal course of life and should be handled as such; especially in this day and age"

Unfortunately Sex & Birth Control are No More Solely A Womans Choice & Responsibility Than The Choice of Crops or Live Stock For Soy Bean & Pig Farmers in the Midwest

There are more Outside Forces applied to all these areas then ever B4

No I'm not for other people picking up the Tab

I'm for Honest Debate - Fairness & Equity

Just Like Rep Cortez

Always thought that FREE towing was a perk of membership on Triple A - What do you think would happen to the size of your bill if millions of people with the same coverage as you started to call the towing company to use this benefit ONCE A MONTH instead of just occassionally?

What do you think would happen to your auto comprehensive coverage premium if millions of people with the same coverage started getting their windshield fixed ONCE A MONTH instead of just occassionally?

Yes, ALL insurance premiums escalate because of people using their coverage to fix something - health, homeowners, auto. 

I do not understand your comment about sex and birth control not being a woman's responsibility.  They are about as major as you can get in priority in a woman's life - If you are active in one (SEX) you had better take care of the other (birth control) or reap the consequences which could be life changing.  It is so much easier to have a plan already in place and then there is always the backup plans of Plan B (emergency conraception) which is already OTC or RU486 (pharmaceutical abortion) available up to about 10 weeks.  Believe me, I know.

A Bunch Of Predominently White Men In The US Congress Make The Decisions For All Americans When It Comes To 

A Womans Rights 

What Farmers Can Grow 

What Farmers Can Raise 

What Insurance Can & Cannot Cover 

What the Rates & Charges Can Be 

As far as your other comments - is a Womans Healthcare Requirements Part Of The Price I Pay For My Own Male Healthcare Insurance Premiums?

I've had Healthcare Insurance my entire life & I've had 3 or 4 wives & 5 children - my Healthcare Insurance Premiums Didn't Ever Fluctuate Based on Whether or not my wife or my Daughters were Sexually Active 

On one hand your saying - well if every AAA member had their car towed every month -  equating that to monthly birth control costs - ok well what about all those months that I never bought birth control for myself - or when my wives had their tubes tied or a hysterectomy 

Shouldn't we be owed a Big Credit? 

Bottomline - dont pick & choose where you want Government involved 

Leave the American Farmer alone - let him grow whatever he wants & sell it to whomever he wants - get the Government out of it 

Leave the American Man & Woman Alone - Stay Out Of Their Bedrooms & their Hearts & Wombs -

Get the Government out of the business of rigging the system based upon what Trump Proctor & Gamble & The Religious Finatics Want 

The GOP used to be for small Government - Fiscal Responsibility - National Security - Tort Reform 

Now all of a sudden along comes Trump & the GOP is as Maleable in Principle as Silly Putty - now they want to regulate everything & have the Courts decide everything else 

Keep the Government out of our Bedrooms Our Wombs & Our Economy 

You support Capitalism 

It's the 21st Century - the World is too small for us not to think & act Globally 

It's the 21st Century - the US Government should have more important things to concern itself with then regulating Tampax & Ortho-Novum

Q

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 29

@alferdpacker wrote:

@GailL1- IMO -that's a distortion of the facts to support your position... I don't buy that...

Does your argument support having the cost of Erectile Dysfunction medication and a vasectomy be entirely paid for by the individual male, and not by employer funded insurance?

Good for the goose is good for the gander - will republican males go along with paying for their "issues"?

Well Alferd, you just gave me an idea. lol  perhaps it would ok fo pay for those services, and make sure that they have the responsibility  to be able to deal with their actions regarding the pregnancies they they are part of.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 29

@GailL1 wrote:

@mickstuder 

Sounds like you would be all for it as long as some other entity picks up the tab.

Sex and birth control should be a woman's choice and responsibility - both are a normal course of life and should be handled as such; especially in this day and age.

Perhaps we should ask somebody else to buy menstrual products each month?  Better yet, why not just package them together - menstrual products and birth control pills.

This is a great example of why health insurance premiums are out of sight high.  We look for somebody else to pay for everyday type health items - I am surprised that they weren't mandated to cover menstrual items too.  Health insurance should have better uses.

BTW, AOC did put in her tweet on support for OTC birth control pills that they should also be . . . . WAIT FOR IT ...................... The favorite Democrat word ................................ FREE !

I hope you understand my unhappiness to talk about anything like  this  with men, As you can see by their replies They have no idea as to what are women's needs and only open up their mouth and shout stupidities.

If I could I would make a law to simply not allow men to speak about women reproductive system. unless they could prove that they know what they are talking about.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 29

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors