Honored Social Butterfly

Stop Airing Trump’s Briefings!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/19/opinion/trump-coronavirus-briefings.html

For over a month now, the White House has been holding its daily coronavirus briefings, and most networks, cable news channels and major news websites have been carrying all or parts of them live, as millions of people, trapped inside and anxious, have tuned in.

The briefings are marked by Trump’s own misinformation, deceptions, rage, blaming and boasting. He takes no responsibility at all for his abysmal handling of the crisis, while each day he seems to find another person to blame, like a child frantically flinging spaghetti at a wall to see which one sticks.

He delivers his disinformation flanked by scientists and officials, whose presence only serves to convey credibility to propagandistic performances that have simply become a replacement for his political rallies

Donald Trump doesn’t care about being caught in a lie. Donald Trump doesn’t care about the truth.

more at link...

Regular Contributor

i agree: they should stop Trump's briefings; they are always full of lies & hate filled. it is tearing this country apart in more ways than one!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Personally, I enjoy the daily briefings for several reasons.  It keeps me up to date on the trends and numbers.  I also find it very entertaining to watch the rabid MSM types compete with each other to see which of them can be the most offensive.  Add to that some of the incredibly uninformed reporters questions' that are completely irrelevant.  And finally, watch Trump beat them like a drum while outing them as the "off the rail TDS patients" just trying to land a punch, but failing...  TOO FUNNY!!

If you don't like the briefings, change the channel...  There are literally thousands of channels and content available to everyone.

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

If you don't like the briefings, change the channel...  There are literally thousands of channels and content available to everyone.

Indeed there is.  And if you recorded Fox you'll see the wise advice of Geraldo and the moron SENIOR ADVISOR to POTUS!!!  So revealing....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

MILLIONS are  sick of hearing T RUMP praise himself---exaggerate and LIE and some decided to petition the networks.  .   

Over 100,000 sign petition for networks to dump Trump ...

www.businessinsider.com/100000-sign-petition-for-networks-stop-airing-trump...
Nearly 100,000 people have signed a petition calling on news outlets to stop the un-edited airing of President Trump's coronavirus briefings, alleging he's using the televised White House briefings..for a  " LIVE DAILY RALLY"  "

The Trump conferences have been a mixed bag, containing both messaging from health officials and the president lashing out at opponents and journalists.

"Instead of enabling this behavior, major news media outlets need to stop airing these press briefings live, unedited on television," the petition reads..

Honored Social Butterfly

@JANMB wrote:

"Instead of enabling this behavior, major news media outlets need to stop airing these press briefings live, unedited on television," the petition reads..

Local stations here have started televising the opening minutes of the briefings, then after a few minutes when Trump goes into campaign mode, will switch to either regular news or regular programming.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

How do you propose stopping the briefings? and would that apply equally to other politicians using their platforms?

See Nancy Pelosi for reference

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly

Fishslayer:

How do you propose stopping the briefings? and would that apply equally to other politicians using their platforms?

Ok, I'm looking to Nancy Pelosi for reference and drawing a blank. If she's been conducting daily afternoon briefings, I seem to have missed them all. Making unfounded implications against someone without any basis in reality gets little traction.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Nancy Pelosi isn't the one under discussion nor has she engaged in such egregious campaigning for relection using government resources.   But of course when there is no valid rebuttal change the topic?  Right?

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

See NancyPelosii for reference

NancyPelosii isn't the one under discussion nor has she engaged in such egregious campaigning forrelectionn using government resources.   But of course when there is no valid rebuttal change the topic?  Right?

So what do you propose? That was the essence of the question... and equall application would apply.... right?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

So what do you propose? That was the essence of the question... and equall application would apply.... right?

Of course "equall (sic) application would (should) apply", but there are some who is not applying factual information equally.  If Trump (or his followers) was Pinocchio his nose would stretch from coast to coast.

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Of course "equall (sic) application would (should) apply", Of course; just like here.  but there are some who is (sic) not applying factual information equally.  If Trump (or his followers) was/were Pinocchio his nose would stretch from coast to coast. Egads!  The visual....

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

I would believe that the media is getting fed up with his incessant ramblings about how great he is.  This is evidenced by stations cutting away when he launches into them.  

But to answer your charge about Pelosi, can you provide evidence of Ms Pelosi carrying on a nonsensical dialogue about herself when supposedly giving briefings on a serious topic?  And using government time and resources to praise herself like Trump does?  

And no, there is no way there is a way for an equal application here, especially when Trump is obsessed with himself over country.

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

I would believe that the media is getting fed up with his incessant ramblings about how great he is.  This is evidenced by stations cutting away when he launches into them.  

But to answer your charge about Pelosi, can you provide evidence of Ms Pelosi carrying on a nonsensical dialogue about herself when supposedly giving briefings on a serious topic?  And using government time and resources to praise herself like Trump does?  

And no, there is no way there is a way for an equal application here, especially when Trump is obsessed with himself over country.

You believe? is that enough to stop the press conferences? Your TV has the ability to change channels so isn't that enough for you? I believe that's true.  I also believe there are others, including myself who watch the briefings. So you have no suggestion on how to limit the president news briefings. You do realize free speach is at stake here.  *If the dems wish to have an alternative briefing... have at it. The president is the boss and he's running the show. 

If the media did not want to participate I'd bet the the briefings would be less dramatic since the questions wouldn't be so stupid.

I did not charge Pelosi with anything. I was using her as a reference as another elected leader who uses her leadership position for political benefit. He role seems to be a constant negative message "against" the president. Who doesn't see that? That benefits her party. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

I did not charge Pelosi with anything. I was using her as a reference as another elected leader who uses her leadership position for political benefit. He role seems to be a constant negative message "against" the president. Who doesn't see that? That benefits her party. 

Not in the way to advance herself personally.  Of course you brought her into the discussion to sidetrack from criticism of Trump.  Can you show where she has used government resources to further her self-interests?  You keep accusing her, but won't show where she attempts to deflect from the fact that American citizens are dying from the virus.  Give some instances where she has used government employees and other resources to create a slideshow about her "accomplishments".  

Has she gone on TV attacking a political rival for public office, using her position to do so?  And in the role as as Speaker of the House.  

You posted that you watch these briefings so you must be aware where Trump has used them to attack Biden.  Not only Biden, but attempt to denigrate Democratic governors.  Even turning Republican leaders against him.  Trump has used these briefings for personal political gain.

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Not in the way to advance herself personally.  Of course you brought her into the discussion to sidetrack from criticism of Trump.  Can you show where she has used government resources to further her self-interests?  You keep accusing her, but won't show where she attempts to deflect from the fact that American citizens are dying from the virus.  Give some instances where she has used government employees and other resources to create a slideshow about her "accomplishments".  

Has she gone on TV attacking a political rival for public office, using her position to do so?  And in the role as as Speaker of the House.  

You posted that you watch these briefings so you must be aware where Trump has used them to attack Biden.  Not only Biden, but attempt to denigrate Democratic governors.  Even turning Republican leaders against him.  Trump has used these briefings for personal political gain.

Tex ...  again you moved from my question to the side show of politics. How would you propose we end the Presidents briefing? since that's the subject at hand.... end the presidents briefings. 

Give us a proposal... one thing at a time. How would you do it? 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Simple,  the media can quit broadcasting them and just give reports or condense to the facts he has to report about the virus.

Trump's coronavirus briefing casting keeps people guessing

President Donald Trump, despite claiming otherwise, has fixated on the television ratings of his daily coronavirus briefings, comparing the numbers to television shows such as ABC's "The Bachelor." And like the dating competition he's cited five times on Twitter to boast about his viewership, the casting of his program is key.

----

Still, for a President who now views the daily briefings as essential to his political future and insists on holding them even on weekends, the makeup of the cast has been a regular preoccupation.
Trump has told aides that he -- and not his underlings -- generate the biggest numbers, even more than the doctors or other professionals on the task force he assembled to combat the public health crisis.
And though he's boasted in private about making stars of his team, Trump has also bristled at suggestions he leave the medical advice and public health recommendations to doctors -- and in particular Fauci, whose candid management of the coronavirus crisis has earned him praise from many but scorn from certain Trump allies.
more at link

It is apparent that you are posting more from a political standpoint rather than of information about the Coronavirus and attempting to defend Trump.  You brought politics into the discussion when you attempted to bring Ms Pelosi into it to deflect from Trump making it about himself.  
Honored Social Butterfly

How?

My first option is to not hear trump at all, 

certainly his lies, political rally, and continued misinformation. 
My other option would be this: if he is going to continue to do these afternoon political rallies, then let's give Biden equal air time. 
Since the media will not discontinue the trump political rallies, then let's make it full political, and give equal time. Biden could interview Healthcare and Medical experts, Governors, Congressional and State representatives, along with giving his thoughts on what we should be doing. 
Remembering back to the 2016 election,

trump got way more airtime than he deserved, and more than his share...it's time for the media to level the playing field, and give equal time to both Candidates!

Maybe some real commentary, not just

the trump political circus. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@williamb39198 wrote:

How?

My first option is to not hear trump at all, 

certainly his lies, political rally, and continued misinformation. 
My other option would be this: if he is going to continue to do these afternoon political rallies, then let's give Biden equal air time. 
Since the media will not discontinue the trump political rallies, then let's make it full political, and give equal time. Biden could interview Healthcare and Medical experts, Governors, Congressional and State representatives, along with giving his thoughts on what we should be doing. 
Remembering back to the 2016 election,

trump got way more airtime than he deserved, and more than his share...it's time for the media to level the playing field, and give equal time to both Candidates!

Maybe some real commentary, not just

the trump political circus. 

I see it for what it is....good information by the health experts and when provided, REAL doctors and scientists surrounded by a moronically lying clown and his staff.  There can be some entertainment value for those with a dark sided humor.  Watching the demise of the trump administration is classic and historic!  It is shown live on Youtube each day....

I encourage those who feel differently, to watch something else or even better, stimulate your mind with a good book.

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Simple,  the media can quit broadcasting them and just give reports or condense to the facts he has to report about the virus.

It is apparent that you are posting more from a political standpoint rather than of information about the Coronavirus and attempting to defend Trump.  You brought politics into the discussion when you attempted to bring Ms Pelosi into it to deflect from Trump making it about himself.  

So ...  your beef is with the media airing the briefings? You can get filtered information from multiple web sites. You are not required to watch or listen... nor do you need to go on twitter or read newspapers. No one should promote shutting down briefings. Go ahead and dispute or disagree with the matters at hand ... but you're suggesting a boycott of the briefings. That isn't they way information is shared... right wrong or indifferent, we ALL get to decide for ourselves.  

Now...  have you listened to the questions from the media? They are asking questions political in nature directed at the president. How else would a political question be answered? 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

So ...  your beef is with the media airing the briefings? You can get filtered information from multiple web sites. You are not required to watch or listen... nor do you need to go on twitter or read newspapers. No one should promote shutting down briefings. Go ahead and dispute or disagree with the matters at hand ... but you're suggesting a boycott of the briefings. That isn't they way information is shared... right wrong or indifferent, we ALL get to decide for ourselves.  

And these are supposed to be briefings about the coronavirus pandemic but Trump wants to make it about himself and interrupting the period of the day when valid news is on.  Further, at the start of this discussion here you made it political by bringing up the Speaker of the House. Then you have attempted to blame someone else. 

The only information we seem to get from Trump is that he is more knowledgable than medical personnel and that he is more interested in promoting himself than giving out valid information about the pandemic.  

Have a good afternoon.

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

And these are supposed to be briefings about the coronavirus pandemic but Trump wants to make it about himself and interrupting the period of the day when valid news is on.  Further, at the start of this discussion here you made it political by bringing up the Speaker of the House. Then you have attempted to blame someone else. 

The only information we seem to get from Trump is that he is more knowledgable than medical personnel and that he is more interested in promoting himself than giving out valid information about the pandemic.  

Have a good afternoon.

That's your opinion... and you are entitled to that.

I mentioned Pelosi as a matter of "reference". Why? because she does the same thing ... politicians are political and we need to have a point of reference of what other elected leaders do to have an honest and forthright  discussion. I posted her ramblings too.

Thanks for a civil discussion

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Democrats say the pandemic has presented them with a powerful political hand to play.“This is a perfect storm of messaging,” said Steve Israel, the former congressman from New York who ran the House Democrats’ campaign arm. “The three defining issues in this campaign were Trump’s competence as president, the strength of the economy and health care — and those three issues have now collided spectacularly.” On Wednesday, Democrats rolled out their own $30 billion national testing plan — an implicit attack on Mr. Trump that Ms. Pelosi reinforced later in the day when she went on CNN’s “State of the Union.”  

So as you can see Pelosi/dems are using the pandemic for political gain. Who for a moment believes you can separate the politics from politicians? No can be that naive. Add to the fact the media and especially the White house press corp, intentionally needles the president with politically motivated "gotcha" questions.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
On Wednesday, Democrats rolled out their own $30 billion national testing plan —

That happened a week ago, not today.

.... an implicit attack on Mr. Trump
How is nationwide testing an attack on trump?  He doesn't want to see the numbers?

.... that Ms. Pelosi reinforced later in the day when she went on CNN’s “State of the Union.”
It's always good to cite sources for your claims.  It would help as I see nothing related to what you have posted re Pelosi, "later in the day"  What's up with that Mr.Fish?
Esteemed Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

So as you can see Pelosi/dems are using the pandemic for political gain. Who for a moment believes you can separate the politics from politicians? No can be that naive. Add to the fact the media and especially the White house press corp, intentionally needles the president with politically motivated "gotcha" questions.

Is the big bad media being mean to 'widdle Twumpie-poo'? 😥

He's a big boy now.  If he can't handle the heat, he can get out of the press room.

Honored Social Butterfly

MsStretch posted..

Is the big bad media being mean to 'widdle Twumpie-poo'? 😥

He's a big boy now. If he can't handle the heat, he can get out of the press

================================================

Yes, the press is doing their best, with many question were they are trying to get their "gotcha moment". They try and he handles it. I think he enjoys calling on reporters that do not like him.

Many of the question the press ask have been answered by the Medical experts....but they keep trying to change what they have heard into a answer to their political liking. You see it if you watch the briefings.

I like when the press asks questions were there is no answer...like what restrictions will there be on the July 4th celebrations?....or when will the virus deaths end?....etc., etc. OMG!

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Many of the question the press ask have been answered by the Medical experts....but they keep trying to change what they have heard into a answer to their political liking. You see it if you watch the briefings.

Medical experts answer the questions some of the time, except when IMPOTUS thinks he knows better.

Honored Social Butterfly

Lots of GOOD information tonight! Administration study finds high temperatures, humidity, and sunlight kill the coronavirus.

Go listen from the researchers! I know you like to hear good news.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Fishslayer:   Lots of GOOD information tonight! Administration study finds high temperatures, humidity, and sunlight kill the coronavirus.

This is already common knowledge. It's why the flu tapers off in summer.

Honored Social Butterfly

And why it might start becoming more active in the fall for another wave of infections...cooler weather, less humidity, and certainly declining UV radiation. 
But, I suppose trump already has that stopped and under control!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png