Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 1 of 13

Oops, one libertarian type spilled the beans - the interest rates are rising - which is what Donald has been whining about and attempts to use his position to threatend the Federal Reserve.   His threat was about increasing the national interest rate.   

While some can and do say that they don't care about their retirement $$$ in Stock Market , then they are financially secure - good for them.    What this does do  is put those near to retirement in an uncomfortable situation, as it is those people who may be more vulnerable to the fluctuation in the market.   

It was Donalds direct threats about the FED Reserve raising rates that unsettled those in the market...for those who were not paying attention or not reading multiple business sites about the obvious disruptor.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 13

"....This downturn is a market phenonomon - I have had none of my funds or stocks reduce any dividends and it is the money which is my retirement.  Dividends are paid on shares owned, not the amount of a share.  I also have treasuries and CD's to round it all out....".

Yes. There is so much nonsense being posted about the cause of the market downturn showing how little investors seem to know. The markets are rattled for a number of reasons, the prez  only being a part of that. We may be at the end of the bull market, possibly starting a true bear market. In short, we may be at the end of the current cycle. Germany is close to  bear territory, and that has been the European powerhouse. Markets all over the world are going down. We depend on international business and profits are going to be squeezed this next year. The inversion of the yield curve is really spooking a lot of money managers (and by my readings, the general investing public doesn't even understand the terminology, as a generalization). 

Anyway, yes, there is a lot of uncertainty coupled with the fact that so few people even understand what they have invested in (according to numerous studies).

As you stated, the dividends and interest will keep coming. And, interest rates are rising which will be a big help to many people as far as income investing.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 13

The ONLY time when the price of a stock or fund should be a consideration is when you want to or have to sell it.

This downturn is a market phenonomon - I have had none of my funds or stocks reduce any dividends and it is the money which is my retirement.  Dividends are paid on shares owned, not the amount of a share.  I also have treasuries and CD's to round it all out.

Maybe some of you do need to invest in an independent fidicuary so that times like these don't get you all in a tizzy.

ANY  financial investment can go up as well as down - were you not disappointed in the low interest rates for the last several years for FDIC investments like CD's.  I certainly read a lot of complaints about them here. 

What did you do then?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 13

@Richva wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

We all need to use jimc's financial planner , who knows how to perfectly time the stock market , so you never lose. The only catch is you have to be a Trump supporter to use his service. LOL

Well Jimc did NOT lose 25% of his portfolio as you claimed you did...  

You may want to begin the process of interviewing financial planners other than the one that cost you 25%.  Just Saying.

The difference between liberals and conservatives is that the conservative motto is "I got mine, I am keeping mine, Who cares about you"

I have a tip for our liberals here that are losing money in their retirement accounts...

"Buy low and Sell high"  Works everytime.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 13

@jimc91 wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

We all need to use jimc's financial planner , who knows how to perfectly time the stock market , so you never lose. The only catch is you have to be a Trump supporter to use his service. LOL

You may want to begin the process of interviewing financial planners other than the one that cost you 25%.  Just Saying.

The difference between liberals and conservatives is that the conservative motto is "I got mine, I am keeping mine, Who cares about you"

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 13

@nctarheel wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

@jimc91,

Where did you get information that @mandm84 lost 25% in his portfolio?

It was nowhere in this thread.

Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 5.32.02 PM.png

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 13

@jimc91 wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

@jimc91,

Where did you get information that @mandm84 lost 25% in his portfolio?

It was nowhere in this thread.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 13

@mandm84 wrote:

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 13

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 13

The above comes from CNBC

So does my original post.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors