Medicare open enrollment ends Dec. 7! Get the information you need from AARP’s Medicare resource center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Stephen Paddock: Another white terrorist

Message 61 of 137

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Get rid of semi-auto long guns and you eliminate the ability to convert them into full-auto.

NOBODY needs a semi-automatic rifle to do anything EXCEPT kill the most people in the shortest period of time.

It is not needed for hunting big game, it is not needed for shooting targets, it is not needed for self defense.

There is only ONE way the semi-auto is superior to bolt,  lever or pump actions - the way it kills many people quickly.

Then restore the Fairness Doctrine and get rid of hate-speech on OUR bandwidth.

The unfairness doctrine is dead as well as thinking that we return to pre-Reagan tax rates. You are wasting your time as it ain't happening!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 137

Which well-regulated militia did Paddock belong to?

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 137

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/empirically/videos/399013477179761/

Obama on the gun control issue..and we see it here continually.

Any "brilliant" ideas as to how we might have prevented this event?. I agree that the bumpstock has to go (but how). But that reduces the casualties, it doesn't prevent the killings in toto. 

It may be time to think beyond the simplistic partisan short term "solutions" - time to think of what in our society causes a person to want to go out and massacre a group of flag waving, America loving "deplorables" or try to kill Republican Congressmen at a ball field. In other words, it might be time to look at the violence being preached by the left.

While I disagree with the last sentence in your statement (this is really a completely NON-partisan issue), I agree with the rest of it.  I have noticed, and have been pointing it out to people for several years that the current "solutions" to this problem have all failed and we need to rethink our positions.

Today it seems that anything with the potential for misuse (and often things that simply annoy some groups) produces the same 'fix'.  If you don't like it, just BAN it and things will be all better.  But this society spends no time trying to understand WHY some people do these horrific things.

This guy  Paddock is a great example of the need to try and understand what causes people to do these things and spend less time and effort on just eliminating the tools they use.  Paddock was hardly an example of a mass murderer yet he apparently came off his spool and went on a killing spree.  He was by all accounts a quiet rich man with an affinity for gambling.  I would guess more than half the people who come to Vegas fit that description.  He could afford to amass a collection of guns, but a LOT of people do that.  They just don't USE them like Paddock did.  The overwhelming percentage of gun crimes are committed with unregistered handguns, and that's not even close to him or what he did.

We first need to find out what pushed this man to commit this crime, and THEN we need to look at these causes and how they affect everybody ELSE in this country who are potentially affected by these things.  Are there internal or EXTERNAL forces at work here?

Are these causes the political situation in this country?  Was he 'off his meds' or was he on some NEW meds?  Perhaps it could be the endless 24/7 news channels that tend to over-hype any and everything in this country?  These things, and others are what we must study, and then HEED the results of those studies to get a handle on what causes otherwise normal people to go insane.

And then ACT on these causes.  If the politicians on both sides are the reason for the deterioration of the country, get rid of them all regardless of which party they're in, and elect people who will address our problems rather than ignoring them (or making them worse).  If it's the Media, change their sensationalistic methods.  If it's the new, untested drugs we pump into these people, eliminate  these drugs or at least closely monitor the patients they give them to.

We can't just fall back on the idea of banning everything we don't like, as this has never worked.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 137

Get rid of semi-auto long guns and you eliminate the ability to convert them into full-auto.

NOBODY needs a semi-automatic rifle to do anything EXCEPT kill the most people in the shortest period of time.

It is not needed for hunting big game, it is not needed for shooting targets, it is not needed for self defense.

There is only ONE way the semi-auto is superior to bolt,  lever or pump actions - the way it kills many people quickly.

Then restore the Fairness Doctrine and get rid of hate-speech on OUR bandwidth.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 137

@MIseker wrote:

Any "brilliant" ideas as to how we might have prevented this event?. I agree that the bumpstock has to go (but how). But that reduces the casualties, it doesn't prevent the killings in toto. 

It may be time to think beyond the simplistic partisan short term "solutions" - time to think of what in our society causes a person to want to go out and massacre a group of flag waving, America loving "deplorables" or try to kill Republican Congressmen at a ball field. In other words, it might be time to look at the violence being preached by the left.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 137

@MIseker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@jims730656 wrote:

Besides, if someone is traumatized by the mere sight of a word, perhaps they shouldn't be ON the Internet, or listen to hip-hop music, or go to movies where they actually HEAR those words.

But in any case, this website doesn't need defending and I'm fine with whatever they want to do.  It's their site and I am merely a guest who can decide whether to stay or leave.

I don't know who dreams up these "traumatized" rules. But the alternate name for a cat is a no-no while calling the President a "turd" and fellow posters "Nazis" is acceptable does make one wonder.

Telling the truth is not against TOS.

Yet "don't call anyone a commie" while being a pussycat is bleeped if the words are split. Go figure.

As I said though, it is probably an automated system and uses the "one size all" approach for economy.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 137

@MIseker wrote:

@jims730656 wrote:

As for the 'bleeps', I have a problem with the heavy-handedness of it all.  Some words or phrases are considered offensive to many people, so I get that.  But if that collection of letters is merely contained inside a perfectly acceptable word that automatic censorship crosses a line.

Unfortunately, it appears that I can't delete my forum account (login) without deleting my entire AARP account, which I do not want to do having been an AARP member for several years.

Like jimc said about badmouthing PR..lighten up its ust a joke.

What is the joke in the crazy word monitoring under discussion.

You know, if you really do not have a thought on a subject, there is no requirement that you post something anyway. You may have to switch to green.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 137

@MIseker wrote:
IRC in 96. talk about wild and woolly. Met my wife of 22 years in one of "those" chat rooms. foreign hackers took over my old network..and many others. Now there are too many for profit forums for people to put up with the unsteadiness of some connections.

The Internet has grown up.  Good in some ways and not-so-good in others.  But back then, as today a good discussion is too often ruined by witless trolls.  The early AOL, as I recall (when they switched from Q-Link) had more than their share of immature creeps.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 137

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 137
IRC in 96. talk about wild and woolly. Met my wife of 22 years in one of "those" chat rooms. foreign hackers took over my old network..and many others. Now there are too many for profit forums for people to put up with the unsteadiness of some connections.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs