Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Stephen Miller is an Immigration Hypocrite. I Know Because I'm His Uncle.

Message 11 of 17

@mickstuder wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

The anger and vindictiveness of you people and your sources is truly sad. 

The US in your stories is not the US of today. We had five less States. While the "land rush was over", we were still expanding. In other words, we needed people - the same concept that the Administration is trying to reinstitute, bring in people because we need them, not because they need us. Of course there will always be the compassionate "asylum" concept - but very limited.

Now let's examine the pettiness - Miller, I saw no "chain migration" in the sense we think of it today. The story had individual people all migrating and qualifying individually. 

Carlson's ancestor came from Switzerland and came under the rules of the time.

Tomi Lahren - are they not bleep countries? What is your point. As to her grandfather - he was found not guilty. What is it you want to blame her for?

Scavino - it does not sm that any of his ancestors arrives without qualifying because of any relatives.

Yeah -

5 less states - how many states were there when the 2nd Ammendment was created compared to 2018 

Oh & The land rush was over too..........was there a US Army Air Force Navy Marines Coast Guard or the FBI or the ACLU when the Second Ammendment was created 

How about the Bill of Rights and the Fourteenth Amendment...................

Does how they get interpreted depend on how many states there are or what kinds of people Microsoft or Apple needs?

How does any of that relate to the questioning of the words of people based on their ancestors?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 17

@rk9152 wrote:

The US in your stories is not the US of today. We had five less States. While the "land rush was over", we were still expanding. In other words, we needed people - the same concept that the Administration is trying to reinstitute, bring in people because we need them, not because they need us. Of course there will always be the compassionate "asylum" concept - but very limited.

Now let's examine the pettiness - Miller, I saw no "chain migration" in the sense we think of it today. The story had individual people all migrating and qualifying individually. 

Tomi Lahren - are they not bleep countries? What is your point. As to her grandfather - he was found not guilty. What is it you want to blame her for?

Scavino - it does not sm that any of his ancestors arrives without qualifying because of any relatives.

Yeah -

5 less states - how many states were there when the 2nd Ammendment was created compared to 2018 

Oh & The land rush was over too..........was there a US Army Air Force Navy Marines Coast Guard or the FBI or the ACLU when the Second Ammendment was created 

How about the Bill of Rights and the Fourteenth Amendment...................

Does how they get interpreted depend on how many states there are or what kinds of people Microsoft or Apple needs?

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 17

Scavino - it does not seem that any of his ancestors arrives without qualifying because of any relatives.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 17

Dan Scavino, Jr.

Let’s start with Dan Scavino, Jr., White House social media director, who tweeted an article about chain migration “choking” the United States. That’s the kind of charge that may have once been leveled against Italian immigrants like Scavino’s great-grandfather.

Scavino’s roots trace back to the Italian Piedmont town of Canelli, where his great-grandfather Davide “Gildo” Ermenegildo was born in August of 1884 to Giuseppe Scavino and his wife Carolina Giovine.

Gildo Scavino was part of a classic chain of immigrants that began with his older brother Vittorio (or Victor, as he would come to be known) who arrived at Ellis Island in 1904 with his wife Camilla. The records indicate that Vittorio had come on a business trip, but he apparently stayed on, because the following March, when brother Ettore (who would become Hector) arrived from Canelli, he listed brother Vittorio, at an address on E. 59th Street in New York City, as his point of contact. He also indicates that his brother paid for his passage.

Rep. Steve King - We can't restore our civilization with somebody else's babies.

Republican Congressman Steve King of Iowa has become notorious for making thinly veiled racist pronouncements about the threats of immigration. “We can't restore our civilization with somebody else's babies,” he lamented on Twitter in March last year.

But King’s own grandmother Freda Harm was one of those very babies, arriving in steerage at Ellis Island in 1894 from Germany at the age of four, according to passenger documents, with her parents and two little siblings in tow. The difference, of course, is that white European babies are likely not the kinds of “somebody else” King was referring to.

White House Senior Adviser Stephen Miller

Miller, an immigration hardliner who has helped craft Trump’s wish list on more restrictive policies, once warned in a college op-ed that “worshipping at the altar of multiculturalism” might lead to the “sacrifice of the one culture which binds us all.”

But Miller’s own Jewish family arrived from Eastern Europe with very little and spun their hard work into success, opening up businesses in Pennsylvania—the classic immigration success story.

In a White House briefing in August, Miller made clear that White House immigration policy would prioritize those immigrants who could already speak English. But by those rules, Miller’s own great-grandmother would not have passed muster.

In the 1910 census, she is clearly identified as speaking only Yiddish, four years after arriving.

Tomi Lahren - Fox News

Fox News’ Tomi Lahren has been especially unforgiving in her immigration stance, even going so far as to defend President Trump’s “s***hole countries” comment.

If they aren’t s***hole countries, why don’t their citizens stay there? Let’s be honest. Call it like it is.

But her tree yielded perhaps the most hilarious vignette yet:

Lahren’s Russian immigrant great-great-grandfather, Constantin Dietrich, was indicted by a federal grand jury in North Dakota in 1917 for forging his naturalization papers.

Such prosecutions were exceedingly rare; there were typically less than 100 annually out of about 105,000 naturalizations. But luckily for Lahren, the trial jury was apparently unmoved by the findings of the grand jury and acquitted him, making it possible for her to be here sharing her anti-immigration screeds on Twitter in 2018.

Tucker Carlson - Fox News

“Why does America benefit from having tons of people from failing countries come here?” Fox News personality Tucker Carlson asked on Twitter last year.

Well, though Carlson was apparently estranged from his biological mother, sketching out her tree led to the memoirs of Carlson’s great-great grandfather Cesar Lombardi, who wrote about how the “narrowness of opportunities” in Switzerland created a “violent desire” for him to “seek my fortune in foreign parts.” He landed in New York on November 1, 1860.

Source - https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/18/donald-trump-immigration-chain-migration-dan-scav...

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 17

Just another case of GOP hypocrisy....Donald whined about chain migration - and then approved his wives family to come to US.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 17

Oh  dear,  are you really related to Miller?    so very sorry.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Stephen Miller is an Immigration Hypocrite. I Know Because I'm His Uncle.

Message 17 of 17

Of course he is...

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/08/13/stephen-miller-is-an-immigration-hypocrite-i-know...

Let me tell you a story about Stephen Miller and chain migration.

It begins at the turn of the 20th century in a dirt-floor shack in the village of Antopol, a shtetl of subsistence farmers in what is now Belarus. Beset by violent anti-Jewish pogroms and forced childhood conscription in the Czar’s army, the patriarch of the shack, Wolf-Leib Glosser, fled a village where his forebears had lived for centuries and took his chances in America.

He set foot on Ellis Island on January 7, 1903, with $8 to his name. Though fluent in Polish, Russian, and Yiddish he understood no English. An elder son, Nathan, soon followed. By street corner peddling and sweat-shop toil Wolf-Leib and Nathan sent enough money home to pay off debts and buy the immediate family’s passage to America in 1906. That group included young Sam Glosser, who with his family settled in the western Pennsylvania city of Johnstown, a booming coal and steel town that was a magnet for other hard-working immigrants. The Glosser family quickly progressed from selling goods from a horse and wagon to owning a haberdashery in Johnstown run by Nathan and Wolf-Leib to a chain of supermarkets and discount department stores run by my grandfather, Sam, and the next generation of Glossers, including my dad, Izzy. It was big enough to be listed on the AMEX stock exchange and employed thousands of people over time. In the span of some 80 years and five decades, this family emerged from poverty in a hostile country to become a prosperous, educated clan of merchants, scholars, professionals, and, most important, American citizens.

What does this classically American tale have to do with Stephen Miller? Well, Izzy Glosser is his maternal grandfather, and Stephen’s mother, Miriam, is my sister.

Kudos
Views
Replies