Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: States Using Most Coal & States With Fastest-Growing Clean Energy

Message 1 of 11

One of the problems the Paris Accord is having is with Third World Countries - they want to use coal - or they want the rest of the world to kick in a lot of $$$$.  Third wold countries feel like others have had their shot and they want theirs too. 

This is another one of the questions posed to the Democratic 2020 candidates by the Council on Foreign Affairs:

Question:

How would you discourage the proliferation of coal-fired power plants in developing countries?

I haven't digested all of this - but it seems to me there is a lot of double speak without actually answering the question by many of them.  If they did answer that they would fund them - how much? More than the rest of the countries??  That seems to be always what is expected.

What did your favorite pick of the day answer?

https://www.cfr.org/article/democratic-candidates-climate-change

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

@GailL1 wrote:

@MsStretch wrote:

It seems to me if coal is so inefficient and more expensive than natural gas and its usage is predicted to drop in the foreseeable future with no return on investment, why do we have a president so stuck in the Stone Age trying to save a doomed industry?  Is it just to cling to a few base besties still mired in coal mining?  It boggles my mind.

I don't think you read the whole link -

Screenshot_2019-08-16 States producing the most electricity from coal.png

For places that already have coal supplies readily available and their infrastructure set up for it - it is still more economical to use it.  This might even be more enforced if it is a state that has a sparse population; add to that a poorer population - i.e. the people that use energy usually pay for it, including any changes or infrastructure.

Then you have other areas where their energy company wants to change from coal to natural gas and this is supported by the state government.  But environmentalist ( Sierra Club, to name one) are fighting it because they want the company NOT to move from coal to natural gas but from coal to renewable energy, leaving out natural gas altogether because it is still a fossil fuel and does create emissions - abiet much lower than coal.  (Tampa Florida - https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2019/07/22/tampa-electric-power-plant-plan-still-draw...

Look at the states that are the highest:

1. West Virginia - 93.2%  Coal paid for a whole lot in this state in history - Is there any doubt as to why they have not moved faster or barely at all - What if tomorrow all of Wall Street decided to move to some other place than NYC.
  2. Wyoming - 85.7% They probably won't move to natural gas - they will move straight to renewable - they already have Wind as their largest non-coal source.  Just gonna take time and $$$$$$$$$$$$
  3. Missouri - 79.8% Lots of coal available
  4. Kentucky 78.2% Lots of coal available
  5. Indiana 73.2% coal available
  6. Utah 70.5% coal available but it is also the LARGEST producer of solar energy in the US

All of the states in the middle seem to have several types of energy sources - coal is just the biggest one right now - but natural gas is still a fossil fuel - how soon will it be pas·sé?

I did read it and yes, I know the biggest users are the states with the most coal available and vice versus, hence VT using 0% coal, but ranking last on expanding their clean energy production.  There are discrepancies, anomalies, contradictions.  $$$ is always the biggest factor, population, economy, infrastructure, etc., but bottom line is inefficient coal is not where it is at or will ever be in the future.  In April 2019, the U.S. got the most electricity from renewable sources ever, BUT we are still far behind the rest of the world.

It doesn't help we currently have an administration that extols the use of coal and has no intention of moving forward.  Frankly, I don't think any fossil fuel, natural or otherwise, is a good long-term investment.  Time to collectively look to the future, not stay mired with old, outdated sources that will eventually become less economical as renewable energy expands.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11
@MsStretch wrote:
It seems to me if coal is so inefficient and more expensive than natural gas and its usage is predicted to drop in the foreseeable future with no return on investment, why do we have a president so stuck in the Stone Age trying to save a doomed industry? Is it just to cling to a few base besties still mired in coal mining? It boggles my mind.

=====================================================================

Not sure that Trump or anyone is going to save the coal industry. But Obama was out to make sure that we do not have a coal industry,

We need coal until we convert to other sources.

FYI..

Colstrip Power Plant Units 1 And 2 To Close This Year
By CORIN CATES-CARNEY • JUN 11, 2019

Units 1 and 2 of the coal-fired power plant in Colstrip will permanently close at the end of this year. Plant operator Talen Energy made that announcement in a press release Tuesday, saying the company has been unsuccessful in making the units economically viable. Talen says the plant’s newer units, 3 and 4, will remain open.

The closure of Colstrip’s older coal-burning units is the latest ripple from changing customer demands, environmental laws, and economics that are all driving the West Coast energy markets — which the power plant primarily serves — away from coal-fired power.

State Sen. Duane Ankney, a retired coal miner from Colstrip, says the closure of the plant’s two older units was expected, but not until 2022. Ankney says it’s still devastating to the town and workers.

==================================================

Coalstrip gets it coal form strip mining.
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

@MsStretch wrote:

It seems to me if coal is so inefficient and more expensive than natural gas and its usage is predicted to drop in the foreseeable future with no return on investment, why do we have a president so stuck in the Stone Age trying to save a doomed industry?  Is it just to cling to a few base besties still mired in coal mining?  It boggles my mind.

I don't think you read the whole link -

Screenshot_2019-08-16 States producing the most electricity from coal.png

For places that already have coal supplies readily available and their infrastructure set up for it - it is still more economical to use it.  This might even be more enforced if it is a state that has a sparse population; add to that a poorer population - i.e. the people that use energy usually pay for it, including any changes or infrastructure.

Then you have other areas where their energy company wants to change from coal to natural gas and this is supported by the state government.  But environmentalist ( Sierra Club, to name one) are fighting it because they want the company NOT to move from coal to natural gas but from coal to renewable energy, leaving out natural gas altogether because it is still a fossil fuel and does create emissions - abiet much lower than coal.  (Tampa Florida - https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2019/07/22/tampa-electric-power-plant-plan-still-draw...

Look at the states that are the highest:

1. West Virginia - 93.2%  Coal paid for a whole lot in this state in history - Is there any doubt as to why they have not moved faster or barely at all - What if tomorrow all of Wall Street decided to move to some other place than NYC.
  2. Wyoming - 85.7% They probably won't move to natural gas - they will move straight to renewable - they already have Wind as their largest non-coal source.  Just gonna take time and $$$$$$$$$$$$
  3. Missouri - 79.8% Lots of coal available
  4. Kentucky 78.2% Lots of coal available
  5. Indiana 73.2% coal available
  6. Utah 70.5% coal available but it is also the LARGEST producer of solar energy in the US

All of the states in the middle seem to have several types of energy sources - coal is just the biggest one right now - but natural gas is still a fossil fuel - how soon will it be pas·sé?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@MsStretch wrote:

Maybe the left didn't notice but public utilities are investor owned NOT government owned and if coal is so inefficient and expensive than natural gas, then they are in the process of converting already to gas.  The President has no power to dictate what fuel powers your home electricity but stockholders want clean efficient use to make money!!!!!

It does boggle the mind.

Then, perhaps the president should shut up, since it isn't his call. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

@MsStretch wrote:

Maybe the left didn't notice but public utilities are investor owned NOT government owned and if coal is so inefficient and expensive than natural gas, then they are in the process of converting already to gas.  The President has no power to dictate what fuel powers your home electricity but stockholders want clean efficient use to make money!!!!!

It does boggle the mind.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

Maryland is a pretty heavy user. 25%. I know the default power company uses a lot of coal to bring electricity. The slide says it has to do with our “aging infrastructure.” I will have to research that more.  Thanks for the article.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

@MsStretch wrote:

Because the KGB and Cambridge Analytica conspired to insert a total moron as ToadPOTUS.

tRump has no clue about coal - all he knows is his FoxBot followers think 2,700 new jobs in coal for a short time are worth an additional 1,400 dead Americans EVERY YEAR.

That's in large part because Fox tells them the only people killed by coal are run over by a coal truck. since the Republican War on Education has left much of America with a total inability to think logically, the Bots believe and cheer.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

@MsStretch wrote:

Keep in mind over 100 experts have told us Trump has mental problems and it looks like it shows on this subject.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Call-in Event: Coronavirus: Maintaining Your Well-Being

Ask experts about the coronavirus, learn how to protect yourself, stay connected and cope with stress and anxiety brought on by the pandemic. Join AARP for a special call-in event April 9, at 1:00 pm (EDT).

You can participate by calling toll-free 1-855-274-9507.

Learn more about the event on our Tele-Town Hall page.

Top Authors