If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: States Should Determine Who They Incarcerate Carefully

Message 11 of 15

@GailL1 wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Perhaps their HEP C test results should be included in their trial - at least in the sentencing phase.

Or maybe just tell them, if you have it now, get treatment and then report back for your sentence.

Something has to be done or state taxpayers better just open up their pockets real wide.

State Prisons Fail to Offer Cure tom144,000 Inmates With Deadly Hep C

Sounds like that would be a great way for the sick to avoid prison. Would that apply to all diseases or only HepC?

I had an uncle who was a paraplegic - no functions from the waist down - he had had so many operations and skin grafts from here to there that he couldn't even sit in a wheelchair.  He rolled around laying on his stomach on a gurney type thing.  He had a huge amount of strength in his upper torso.

He was very mechanically oriented.  Built a car for himself out of an old jeep body - no seats, where he could just roll himself into the back and anchor himself into the drivers position.  Once he changed all the car workings to hand operated - gas, gears, brakes - he was good to go.

He did have a problem staying out of trouble - and my family had very frequent  calls from the police about all the crimes he had committed.  Some were actually violent with a gun and they were holding him UNTIL we arrived to pick him up.

Would they keep him in jail - definitely not.  No matter the offense or even the severity - he was never charged or booked.  They would just tell the arriving family member to take him home.  Then he would talk somebody in going to get his car wherever he left it and off to the races once more.  He was shot and killed in his mid-40's.

Now all this happened in the 60's and 70's but I guess back then the police knew who they should incarcerate and who not because there wasn't anybody around that wanted to perform my uncle's daily personal care - Guess that was back in the day when you knew you would get little to nothing in jail.

Since these new Hep C medications are a CURE treatment - of course they want it.  They weren't screaming for the old type treatment where you wondered which was worse - the illness or the treatment, which only actually cured a few.  I also doubt if the state paying the bills of an extremely sick Hep C patient inmate awhile back were adding them to the liver transplant list to save their life.

One way to solve the cost problem is Medi Care for all Approach. That way they could treat everyone. It looks like you are pushing Medi Care for all approach for the new US Health Plan. That is quite a switch, but nice to see you come around from the let them die in the Street approach.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 15

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Perhaps their HEP C test results should be included in their trial - at least in the sentencing phase.

Or maybe just tell them, if you have it now, get treatment and then report back for your sentence.

Something has to be done or state taxpayers better just open up their pockets real wide.

Sounds like that would be a great way for the sick to avoid prison. Would that apply to all diseases or only HepC?

I had an uncle who was a paraplegic - no functions from the waist down - he had had so many operations and skin grafts from here to there that he couldn't even sit in a wheelchair.  He rolled around laying on his stomach on a gurney type thing.  He had a huge amount of strength in his upper torso.

He was very mechanically oriented.  Built a car for himself out of an old jeep body - no seats, where he could just roll himself into the back and anchor himself into the drivers position.  Once he changed all the car workings to hand operated - gas, gears, brakes - he was good to go.

He did have a problem staying out of trouble - and my family had very frequent  calls from the police about all the crimes he had committed.  Some were actually violent with a gun and they were holding him UNTIL we arrived to pick him up.

Would they keep him in jail - definitely not.  No matter the offense or even the severity - he was never charged or booked.  They would just tell the arriving family member to take him home.  Then he would talk somebody in going to get his car wherever he left it and off to the races once more.  He was shot and killed in his mid-40's.

Now all this happened in the 60's and 70's but I guess back then the police knew who they should incarcerate and who not because there wasn't anybody around that wanted to perform my uncle's daily personal care - Guess that was back in the day when you knew you would get little to nothing in jail.

Since these new Hep C medications are a CURE treatment - of course they want it.  They weren't screaming for the old type treatment where you wondered which was worse - the illness or the treatment, which only actually cured a few.  I also doubt if the state paying the bills of an extremely sick Hep C patient inmate awhile back were adding them to the liver transplant list to save their life.

MY SIGNATURE: "It’s Always something" - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 15

@GailL1 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 15

oh my - people love laws that incarcerate people and especially laws that make it more and more difficult to avoid being stuck in jail because they are a) unable to afford bond and b) unable to afford a lawyer, so they plead guilty under pressure from the state to plead out.   And now, they are attempting to say that these people should now be evaluated as to whether or not they have a communicable disease before sentencing...but not before trial.     

Do people write this nonsense before they post it - or is this just another RW / Libertarian whine that no one should have to spend any of their taxpayer dollars on anything but what they deem justifiable - like the road outside their home and the street lights outside their home only. or anything else that they deem and inconvenience to them only.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

States Should Determine Who They Incarcerate Carefully

Message 15 of 15

MY SIGNATURE: "It’s Always something" - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Replies