Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Starburst Outburst

Message 3 of 6

As a kid in Chicago, I witnessed a similar incident when a man in a very nice wool overcoat dug deep in his pocket and tossed a couple "lifesavers" candies to a panhandler. Even as an 8-year-old, I could tell this was NOT intended as an act of charity or friendship.

END THE DISGRACE

VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP IN NOVEMBER.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

But I thought he was supposed to be on a diet.

starburst diet.png

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

There's no hope for his (lack of) manners.

But I thought he was supposed to be on a diet.  What's up with carrying candy around?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Starburst Outburst

Message 6 of 6

starburst.jpg

Trump Tosses Starburst Candy
President Trump reportedly tossed a Starburst toward German Chancellor Angela Merkel during the G7 summit in Canada.

The candy diplomacy took place during a tense exchange that was caught in a memorable image of Trump with arms folded while surrounded by European allies, according to CBS News.
“Trump was sitting there with his arms crossed, clearly not liking the fact that they were ganging up on him,” Eurasia Group President Ian Bremmer said on “CBS This Morning.”

“He eventually agreed and said OK, he’ll sign it.

And at that point, he stood up, put his hand in his pocket, his suit jacket pocket, and he took two Starburst candies out, threw them on the table and said to Merkel, ‘Here, Angela. Don’t say I never give you anything.’”

Later, Trump criticized Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau and then removed his name from the communiqué.

The CBS host Gayle King then asked Bremmer whether it was possible the "Starburst outburst" was just a friendly gesture and an attempt at humor on Trump's part.
"It's hard to, keeping in mind that Trump didn't want to go to the G7," Bremmer said.

"He was convinced by his advisers the day before that he needed to go.

And one thing we know about Trump is when he's told to do things that he doesn't want to do, he doesn't respond to them easily."

During the G-7 Summit, Trump showed a lack of interest when he took his translation piece out of his ear while French President Macron was actually giving a speech.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.