Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Sorry, Alarmists, Climate Chaos Is Not Here

Message 21 of 89

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

So, bottom line, is if you want to give more credence to left wing government who loves taxes (any new ones) and the people who call themselves "climate scientists", go ahead with my blessing.  Don't count me as one of your followers.

I was kind of thinking I would give more credence to the scientists at 

• NASA
  • NOAA
  • NCAR
  • CReSIS
  • World Meteorlogical Organization
  • UNEP
  • UNFCC
  • NSIDC
  • IGBP

Feel free to Google any or all of them for their in depth studies on man made climate change by real PhDs who are experts in their respective fields. I always Google the references from those on the right because they tend to be misleading and incorrect. 

I find the "don't raise my taxes" argument similar to the guy who dumps his trash in the middle of the public park and then screams when the bill comes to clean it up.  I will never understand why the Right loves pollution so much. 

I believe I qualify for "Right" and i assure you I do not love pollution. However, I, like most people left Right or in between, enjoy that which is created by the pollution under discussion - a warm home in the winter and A/C in the summer, not having to peddle a 3 wheeler to Walmart for the groceries.

I further assure you that I do not dump my trash in the middle of a park.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 89

Meanwhile, in India...

Dozens of people are reported to have died in a heatwave across India that has seen temperatures reaching more than 122 degrees.

Scorching temperatures and water shortages have caused “heavy casualties, including dozens of deaths by sunstroke and other heat-related causes”, according to The Weather Channel.

Indian media said on Friday that 17 people had died in three weeks.

Meteorological Department officials issued an extreme weather event warning as the “severe heatwave” continued in northern and central areas for a third day in a row.

The thermometer hit 123 degrees in the city of Churu.

In May 2016, Phalodi in Rajasthan recorded India’s highest ever temperature, of 123.8 degrees.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/india-heatwave-death-toll-weather-channel-sunstroke-de...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 89

This topic like so seem to obsess with the word "big" Big OIl, big coal, big energy. Elsewhere it is big pharma or big bankers. The thing is though, do we not all enjoy the products of all the "bigs"?

I wonder how much of this one like other is about "big" -  representing money that some  would like to see taken from the "bigs" and given to them.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 89

@aruzinsky wrote:

1. Are all climate model computer simulations experiments in progress?  Yes or No?

No. The experiments were concluided long ago proving Man's direct involvement with Climat Change. Since then NEW studies and experiments have been updating that conclusion and  showing a constant increase in the rate of Global Warming and the disappearance of the icepack. Seems that "hockey Stick" GOPers have long poopooed was a serious UNDER-statement of the speed at which we are moving toward the tipping point where no human action will save us from a Global disaster of Biblical proportions.

2. Is it ethical to make decisions based on experiments in progress?  Yes or No?

Yes. As noted above, the experiments have produced conclusive evidence in support of Anthropogenic climate change, and waiting for our coastline to actually disappear beneath the waves before we act is sane only to Republicans who wish to shift the cost of the disaster from those causing it (Big Carbon) onto the backs of the American taxpayer.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 89

@aruzinsky wrote:

1. Are all climate model computer simulations experiments in progress?  Yes or No?

2. Is it ethical to make decisions based on experiments in progress?  Yes or No?

Man mad global climate change is, in fact a theory.  Much like the theory of evolution.  There is no way to prove the validity of such huge systems so the scientist continues to gather evidence to see if it fits the theory.  To date, all scientific evidence collected has supported the fact that the climate is changing more rapidly than any time since the dinosaur killer meteor hit us and that the cause of the change is man's activities.  

Obviously, if some piece of evidence comes forward which is counter to the current theory, we would have to rethink but every scientist in the field believes we have enough evidence to have complete confidence in the accuracy of the theory. Plus, we ARE talking about eliminating pollution so it is a win-win.

Does that help? 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 89

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 89

I keep reading the words "unprecedented", "record breaking", and "never before" when reading about rains, tornadoes, and hurricanes 

Oklahoma cowboys ride in to save hundreds of animals from unprecedented flooding

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oklahoma-cowboys-ride-in-to-save-hundreds-of-animals-from-unprecedented-f...

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 89

@rk9152 wrote:

Al Gore makes a living off this stuff and some here claim to take it seriously but have reduced it down to just a political vehicle to attack others. For example - comments about the "right", "deniers", GOPERLords, Uberrich and "the 99%", the snide comment about having Mexico pay for sea walls, Alfred E. Neuman, "I just don't understand why Conservatives love their air pollution so much.", "Oh...You mean like you guys do everyday with President Trump with your 10k lies in 4 weeks mantra?" "Bonespur", Big Carbon, and so on and so on.

It seems like to Gore it's all about money to others it's all about "discussion points" and "sticking it to the other guy".

It has accurately been stated that we, as a nation are a major consumer of energy. So, the answer is not an energy tax - it is less consumption. 

The unspoken main point here is simple: The bottom 99% must receive LESS so the 1% can continue to receive MORE.

Reducing consumption of energy can only be achieved by reducing or restricting the supply OR shrinking the economy.

And it's not ENERGY consumption that is destroying the environment, its how the energy is provided - by fossil fuels that emit greenhouse gasses. France gets 85% of their electricity from Nuclear, and has never had an accident BECAUSE they understand the process can be made dangerous by the Capitalist imperative to maximize profits, so they REGULATE it.

Big Carbon used the GOP to "go the other way" and allow the Nuclear power industry to develop with virtually no government supervision, and they got exactly what they knew they'd get - a HORRENDOUS safety record with unsupportable cost overruns and huge bankruptcies - all of which contributed to huge profits for the ones running the industry and pain and suffering for those using the industry.

Now 97% of actual scientists understand we have a very short window to prevent a global disaster of Biblical proportion, and one solution would involve using Nuclear energy to replace coal and gas by REGULATING and SUBSIDIZING, on a scale not seen since WWII, the construction of fail-safe reactors .

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 89

Al Gore makes a living off this stuff and some here claim to take it seriously but have reduced it down to just a political vehicle to attack others. For example - comments about the "right", "deniers", GOPERLords, Uberrich and "the 99%", the snide comment about having Mexico pay for sea walls, Alfred E. Neuman, "I just don't understand why Conservatives love their air pollution so much.", "Oh...You mean like you guys do everyday with President Trump with your 10k lies in 4 weeks mantra?" "Bonespur", Big Carbon, and so on and so on.

It seems like to Gore it's all about money to others it's all about "discussion points" and "sticking it to the other guy".

It has accurately been stated that we, as a nation are a major consumer of energy. So, the answer is not an energy tax - it is less consumption. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 89

Right now, we have 99 nuclear reactors producing about 20% of our electricity. We've known for certain how to build totally fail-safe nuclear reactors since April 26, 1986 when the Government invited the press to visit the new reactor at the Argonne Labs facility in Idaho, turned off ALL the cooling systems, watched as the reactor shut itself down, and then re-started it without incident. You may not have heard about this because that's the DAY a nuclear weapons factory at Chernobyl exploded. Another thing you probably didn't hear was there are two other identical reactors at Chernobyl that continued to operate until 1999 without incident.

Nuclear power is safe, efficient and produces ZERO greenhouse gases. The test reactor at Argonne Labs reuses 80% of it's "spent fuel", so disposal is not a problem - the long term storage facility at Yucca Mountain Nevada has not opened because of POLITICS, not physics.

The nuclear reactor is simply a clean source of heat to boil water to drive the dynamos that product the electricity. The dynamos themselves have a nearly indefinite life, and the coal plants that are closing because they help kill 13,000 Americans EVERY YEAR could continue to operate for another 50-60 years if the coal furnace is replaced with a fail-safe reactor.

We already have the fuel for several hundred reactors, thanks to nuclear disarmament, so all we lack to eliminate 30% of our greenhouse gases is the will to use nuclear energy to replace the coal and gas used to heat water in the plants we already have.

The reactor and containment facility (something totally lacking at Chernobyl) costs about $4B to $6Billion, and we already proved we can spend nearly $150Billion each year for useless war in Iraq, and unlike the GOPerWars, the power plants will generate REVENUE to offset the costs.

To make sure the companies do not let their greed screw the pooch as it has so many times in the past, the construction would need to be closely supervised and use a Government provided standard set of blueprints instead of letting each plant be a one-of-a-kind which maximizes corporate profits but is technically totally unnecessary.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors