Staying Sharp empowers you to take control of your brain health as you age. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Sorry, Alarmists, Climate Chaos Is Not Here

Message 71 of 89

@nctarheel wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

BY David Harsanyi

We all have to remember where @jimc91 is getting his information.

It's THE FEDERALIST again, folks.

Let's review.

(1) THE FEDERALIST is published by a guy that is a serial plagiarist.

(2) THE FEDERALIST published articles that RATIONALIZED CHILD MOLESTATION by agreeing that older men should IMPREGNATE young girls to increase the U.S. population.

(3) THE FEDERALIST has published multiple articles where their sourcing was from hoax information.

So, who are you to believe?

Is it the 97% of climate scientist who agree that there is climate change?

Or a SERIAL PLAGIARIST that publishes an often DEBUNKED rag that prints articles about, "It's just funky weather, folks.".

1. What exactly do the climate scientists agree on?

Usually, the person will have a very vague answer like "climate change is real."

Which raises the question: What is that supposed to mean? That climate changes? That we have some impact? That we have a large impact? That we have a catastrophically large impact? That we have such a catastrophic impact that we shouldn't use fossil fuels?

What you'll find is that people don't want to define what 97% agree on--because there is nothing remotely in the literature saying 97% agree we should ban most fossil fuel use.

It’s likely that 97% of people making the 97% claim have absolutely no idea where that number comes from.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepstein/2015/01/06/97-of-climate-scientists-agree-is-100-wrong/#62f...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 89

@jimc91 wrote:

BY David Harsanyi

We all have to remember where @jimc91 is getting his information.

It's THE FEDERALIST again, folks.

Let's review.

(1) THE FEDERALIST is published by a guy that is a serial plagiarist.

(2) THE FEDERALIST published articles that RATIONALIZED CHILD MOLESTATION by agreeing that older men should IMPREGNATE young girls to increase the U.S. population.

(3) THE FEDERALIST has published multiple articles where their sourcing was from hoax information.

So, who are you to believe?

Is it the 97% of climate scientist who agree that there is climate change?

Or a SERIAL PLAGIARIST that publishes an often DEBUNKED rag that prints articles about, "It's just funky weather, folks.".

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 89

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

Richva:   Regardless,  Miami is spending millions and racing against time.  Why don't you call them to tell them they only need a "few feet" of sea wall to keep the ocean away? They will be thrilled. 

Really not funny, but not much to do but laugh at the level of denial and ignorance about climate change since facts don't seem to matter.

I think you are missing the point of this thread...

Our climate is always in a constant state of change, remember we have had several ice ages.  Today in 2019 we are not in the state of "Crisis" proclaimed by the likes of politicians such as AOC.

My wife and I are heading down to beautiful Panama City Beach tomorrow for a terrific red snapper lunch.  It's going to be great, having a great meal while looking at our sugar white sand beach and crystal clear blue water.

Enjoy your day...

It's just not all about you.   Being able to go to Panama City Beach for a red snapper lunch is wonderful .................. but it is not a legitimate reason to deny the urgent need to address Global Warming and Climate Change.

After the left addresses "climate change", the best suggestion is to forget about it since you can't change the climate or even the weather!  The weather forecasts are wrong a lot of the time so do you think the long term weather (climate change) can be more accurate?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 89

@jimc91 wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

Richva:   Regardless,  Miami is spending millions and racing against time.  Why don't you call them to tell them they only need a "few feet" of sea wall to keep the ocean away? They will be thrilled. 

Really not funny, but not much to do but laugh at the level of denial and ignorance about climate change since facts don't seem to matter.

Our climate is always in a constant state of change, remember we have had several ice ages.  Today in 2019 we are not in the state of "Crisis" proclaimed by the likes of politicians such as AOC.

My wife and I are heading down to beautiful Panama City Beach tomorrow for a terrific red snapper lunch.  It's going to be great, having a great meal while looking at our sugar white sand beach and crystal clear blue water.

Enjoy your day...

It's just not all about you.   Being able to go to Panama City Beach for a red snapper lunch is wonderful .................. but it is not a legitimate reason to deny the urgent need to address Global Warming and Climate Change.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 89

@Panjandrum wrote:

Enjoy your day...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 89

Where did you get your information of 6 feet of rise?  6 feet by when?  How could you possibly know that?  You can't... That is a guess and it is intended to alarm people.  It's not working anymore because all of the previous "guesses" by alarmist have not come true.

National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019/05/14/1817205116

Ice sheet contributions to future sea-level rise from structured expert judgment

Future sea level rise (SLR) poses serious threats to the viability of coastal communities, but continues to be challenging to project using deterministic modeling approaches. Nonetheless, adaptation strategies urgently require quantification of future SLR uncertainties, particularly upper-end estimates. Structured expert judgement (SEJ) has proved a valuable approach for similar problems. Our findings, using SEJ, produce probability distributions with long upper tails that are influenced by interdependencies between processes and ice sheets. We find that a global total SLR exceeding 2 m by 2100 lies within the 90% uncertainty bounds for a high emission scenario. This is more than twice the upper value put forward by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in the Fifth Assessment Report.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in the Fifth Assessment Report was published in 2014.

90% certainty of exceeding a 2 meter rise by 2100

2 meter = 6.56 feet

So if anything I'm understating.

Maybe you should stop posting  

Image result for music notes Don't worry, be happy.

There is hope though, that is for a high emissions scenario, we might be able to mitigate that, IF enough people start to believe science and we take action now.

Take action it's going to cost money.

Don't take action it's going to cost a lot more money.

If you love money, then mitigate man made climate change to save money.

If you don't love money,  then mitigate climate change, just to save the planet and every living thing on it.

I'm pretty sure cockroaches and crocodiles are going to be OK regardless.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 89

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 89

@Richva wrote:

I don't know about a six foot rise.  I did say that Miami was six foot above sea level.  On the other hand, sea levels are rising faster based on a  25 year study by NASA. It looks like the Conservatives are claiming victory as long as there is no ocean front property in Ohio.  The paragraphs below outline some of the (massive) costs the rising sea levels are causing.  I just don't understand why Conservatives love their air pollution so much. 

I don't recall any conservative talking about their love of air pollution, could you be specific?  Who said that?

Before Hurricane Michael destroyed our main greenhouse here on my homestead, I used a CO2 generator to enhance the growing process of plant growth.  Maybe it would be helpful for me to better understand your definition of "Air Pollution".  In my opinion China has a major air pollution problem.  The USA not so much.

Could you provide your definition of air pollution?

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 89

I don't know about a six foot rise.  I did say that Miami was six foot above sea level.  On the other hand, sea levels are rising faster based on a  25 year study by NASA. It looks like the Conservatives are claiming victory as long as there is no ocean front property in Ohio.  The paragraphs below outline some of the (massive) costs the rising sea levels are causing.  I just don't understand why Conservatives love their air pollution so much. 

As a result of these risks, many coastal cities are already planning adaptation measures to cope with the long-term prospects of higher sea levels, often at considerable cost. Building seawalls, rethinking roads, and planting mangroves or other vegetation to absorb water are all being undertaken.

In Jakarta, a $40 billion project will aim to protect the city with an 80-foot-high seawall. Rotterdam, home to the Global Center on Adaptation, has offered a model to other cities seeking to combat flooding and land loss. The Dutch city has built barriers, drainage, and innovative architectural features such as a “water square” with temporary ponds.

Of course, communities vulnerable to rising seas can only go so far in holding back the tide. In the Marshall Islands, where rising sea levels are forcing a choice between relocating or building up the land, residents will need help from other nations if they decide to undertake the expensive latter option.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/sea-level-rise/

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 89

@gruffstuff wrote:

I hope you all have your coastal evacuation plans ready. If this unprecedented rate of sea level rise per year continues, our children’s children might have to deal with 2ft of additional sea level by the end of this century. How will our grandchildren or great grandchildren cope with economic burden of constructing an extra foot or two of sea wall?

Sea level rise was projected to be one foot thirty years ago, that is what they expected.

Latest projections are six feet, that is what we are going to get.

Just looking at that, six foot sea level rise, plus a storm surge.

Current storm sure allowance in building codes is eight feet to the top of the foundation from mean high tide.

That is probably not going to be enough, storms are stronger, storm surges bigger.

That should be at least twelve feet, maybe sixteen.

So what to do?

Change the codes now, top of the foundation should be twelve feet, plus six feet, eighteen feet.

Start raising road beds, start raising railroad tracks, start raising bridges, start buying land, installing utilities, new water systems, new sewer systems, all the infrastructure needed to pick up a population and move it.

All of that is going to take money, and lots of it, how do you tax people displaced, without jobs or possessions? 

The answer is tax the people who do have jobs and possessions. 

OR

We could try to mitigate the damage by doing everything we can to stop burning fossil fuels and sequestering carbon in the ground.

Truth is we'll probably have to  do both, it's not a question of if there will be damage and people will have to move, it's a question of how much damage, and how many people.

Where did you get your information of 6 feet of rise?  6 feet by when?  How could you possibly know that?  You can't... That is a guess and it is intended to alarm people.  It's not working anymore because all of the previous "guesses" by alarmist have not come true.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors