Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Socialism Caused Czechoslovakia 40 Years Of Misery

How Voting For Socialism Caused Czechoslovakia 40 Years Of Misery

 
Americans should heed the lessons of Czechoslovakia, a democracy that voted for a socialist utopia only to wait four decades to win its freedom back.

 

BY:  Carina Benton

 

Democrats are now stooping to seduce voters with neo-Marxist promises to end “systemic racism,” “reimagine” policing, guarantee “free” health care, and “pay” for higher education. The lure of a socialist utopia in which the individual finds ultimate fulfillment in the state has deceived countless people throughout the 20th century. Yet in the end, that promise has delivered nothing but unprecedented atrocities and abuses of freedom.

 

In 1946, Czechoslovakia became the only European nation to bring communism to power through a legitimate democratic process. Czechoslovakia boasted a successful interwar democracy between 1918 and 1939. But after six years of Nazi occupation, a disillusioned, war-weary, and idealistic people fell prey to the false messianic promises of the communists.

 

Popular aspirations for a better, fairer society became conflated with the Communist Party mantra, and individual freedom and dignity were substituted for the oppressive power of the State.

Making The Same Mistakes

 

Today, Americans are witnessing a forecast of such horrors, as Democrats leverage Antifa terror tactics to threaten opponents and foist the radical left’s ideology on a bewildered population. As one Black Lives Matter insurgent recently proclaimed, “It’s time for revolution.”

 

Don’t expect Democrats to change tactics once in office. Vice-Presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) threatened as much, insisting the rioters weren’t going to stop. “Everyone beware,” she proclaimed, “they’re not going to stop until election day and they’re not going to stop after election day … They’re not going to let up. Nor should they. And nor should we.”

 

The social justice quest of today’s Democratic Party is a barely disguised power grab. Unfortunately, the disastrous course they’re charting won’t be easily redirected. Instead, Americans should heed the lessons of Czechoslovakia, a democracy that voted for a socialist ideal and would have to wait more than 40 years before they won their freedom back.

 

Socialism, the fool’s gold of political systems, assumes that the world’s moral well-being can be guaranteed through structural change. This is what radicals like Rep. Ilhan Omar mean by “dismantling the whole system of oppression” or when Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez advocates “reimagined systems of immigration and foreign policy” and “deep systemic solutions to our crises of eviction and unemployment.”

 

The socialist promise is intoxicating. It has been craftily adapted by cunning and power-hungry politicians throughout history, to varying conditions and diverse peoples: only through the state can the individual become a happier person, living a better life in a fairer world.

 

The Democrat crusade for the progress of humanity may sound enticing. But there is nothing progressive about using Marxist hate groups to impose radical left groupthink and destroy competing ideologies and viewpoints. Democrats are exploiting class and race antagonisms while lecturing Americans on the inherent evil of their country.

The Lessons of Czechoslovakia

 

When the people of Czechoslovakia voted the Communist Party into office in 1946, they too believed they were building on the ruins of a failed system. Czechoslovakia had functioned as a successful democracy from its founding in 1918 until it was occupied by Adolf Hitler’s Third Reich. It emerged from the war with a thirst for freedom but a loss of faith in the old order.

 

Communist Party propaganda convinced people that the free-market economy and the democratic political system had caused the economic crisis of the 1930s, the rise of Nazism, the Second World War, the deportation, imprisonment, and mass murder of Jews, and the defeat and destruction of Czechoslovakia. Marxism was heralded as the only solution for and safeguard against injustice, racism, violence, and war. The Communist Party urged a transformation of the system and a change within the individual if they were to progress toward fairer, better humanity.

 

The people willingly embraced a culture of martyrdom, sacrificing individual freedoms for the collective good and personal redemption. The Party fostered a pseudo-religious zeal in which people purged themselves of their shameful middle-class values and capitalist mentality and devoted themselves to the New Order.

The Lie of ‘This Time It Will Be Different’

 

People were aware of the Bolshevik terror that had been unleashed in Russia but naïvely believed that their bespoke, national road to socialism would be different. Although ethnically diverse, Czechoslovakia was relatively unified and had experienced stable democracy. It was industrially and culturally advanced with an educated population. The idea that a communist dictatorship would ever be imposed was unthinkable.

 

In 1946, the Communists won a decisive victory, promising a progressive, moderate, and inclusive sort of socialism. In 1948 they staged a coup and established total control. Elections would not be held again until 1990.

 

Democratic traditions were swept aside as political opponents were ousted, basic freedoms relinquished, and rule of law eroded. Arrests, beatings, interrogations, “reeducation” camps, and “disappearances” became a matter of course. Businesses were privatized and farms were nationalized. A planned economy run by a corrupt and inept state led to shortages in housing and basic materials.

 

But the Party was beyond reproach. It concocted its facts, reality, and set of behavioral norms. Faith in the system became more important than truth. Václav Havel, a writer, dissident, and first president of post-communist Czechoslovakia, explained that because the main pillar of the system was living a lie, the truth had to be suppressed more severely than anything else.

 

Political disobedience, real or perceived, was punished by persecution, torture, and death. It wasn’t just ordinary people who suffered. During the Slanksy show trials of the 1950s, 14 senior party officials were arrested on fabricated charges of conspiring against the Party. They were interrogated, tortured, and all save one were executed.

 

Some found it easier to doubt themselves rather than accept the truth that the socialist system they had devoted their lives to building was corrupt to the core. Before he was hanged, the last words of Rudolph Slansky, former general secretary of the Communist Party, were: “Thank you. I’m getting what I deserved.”

 

One of the other men executed was Rudolph Margolius, former cabinet chief in the Ministry of Foreign Trade, whose wife Heda Margolius Kovály details the experience in her haunting memoir “Under a Cruel Star.” The story is a must-read for anyone deluded enough to believe that socialist regimes are concerned with improving conditions for the average person. They’re interested in consolidating power for themselves. As Margolius Kovály observes, vast power reinforced by the fear of losing it is a deadly combination.

A Long Night of Tyranny

 

Czechoslovakia’s experiment in pursuing a socialist utopia entailed 41 years of one-party rule. Only after the collapse of the Soviet Union and a peaceful revolution was democracy restored. The fear, lies, envy, persecution, and oppression that characterized the regime followed the same pattern as every society that has suffered at the hands of socialists.

 

What distinguishes Czechoslovakia’s experience is that a people who had thrived under a superior form of government, and should have known better, unwittingly voted this evil into power.

Today, the Biden campaign is dangling its brand of socialist candy in front of voters, as politicians like Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders offer straight-faced lectures about the mission to “preserve” democracy and decency. But the chaos and violence in our cities paint a more accurate picture of what we can expect under a Biden administration. It bodes very poorly, indeed.

 

From Democrat Rep. Ayana Pressley calling for “unrest in the streets” to Marxist mobs chanting “death to America,” nothing about the left’s platform evokes the safeguarding of democratic principles. It is about reengineering the country at the expense of anyone who rejects this radical movement.

 

As Kamala Harris warned, this isn’t going away. With God’s grace, it will. But four decades would be a long time to wait.

 
Carina Benton is a native Australian living in Washington state. She is a practicing Catholic and has taught for many years in Catholic and Christian schools. She is a mother of two young children. 
 
 
 
 
 
VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

And in Iceland, mothers leave their baby's in carriages on the front doorsteps because that Democratic Socialist country is so safe. 

0 Kudos
435 Views
1
Report
Social Butterfly

Communist Russia caused the whole world misery for the last 90 years.

0 Kudos
425 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Socialism Caused Czechoslovakia 40 Years Of Misery

 

How the fear and demagoguery of leftist led to the rise of Nazis in 1930's Germany,  the war that followed to defeat the Nazis  killed sixty million people and led to the Eastern Bloc after WWII.

 

Hitler was elected to power,  the same tactics used in 1930s Germany to bring Hitler to power are being used now to keep Trump in power in 2020 America. 

 

 

Honored Social Butterfly

119147685_4603248599700310_5340287387030401239_n.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Of course, Democratic Socialism has also given Norway one one of the best standards of living in the world. 

Social Butterfly

The Evidence Shows a Biden-Harris Win Will Lead America Into Socialism & We Will Probably Never Recover

By Steve Baldwin

 

I have little doubt this coming election is a tipping point in American history. I believe the evidence shows that a Biden-Harris victory will lead America down a socialist road from which we will probably not recover.

 

I say this because the Democrats will likely stack the Supreme Court with at least two more justices in order to obtain rulings such as the legalization of all illegal aliens physically within the U.S.A., thereby creating millions more likely Democratic voters.

The Dems will also push for a court ruling that abolishes the Electoral College, claiming it is “racist” because it protects rural areas from being dominated by urban area voters.

 

Moreover, assuming the Dems also take control of both houses, they will vote to make Puerto Rico and Washington, D.C., states, giving the Democrats four more U.S. senators.

These actions are not imagined by the right; rather, they are commonly discussed at conferences and in blogs by the same hard-core leftists who now surround Biden and Harris. Combined, these actions would give the Dems permanent control of the U.S.A.

 

A Biden-Harris victory will ensure that the Republican Party will never win the presidency again and America will gradually be transformed into a socialist semi-dictatorship in which opponents will be spied on, censored, harassed and even jailed based on trumped-up charges and bogus claims of “hate speech.”

 

People who scoff at this have no idea how common such a scenario is throughout world history. Moments of freedom and liberty, undergirded by a Constitution that guarantees us a slew of rights, are actually quite rare in human history and such moments almost always come to an end.

 

It really is in the hands of the voters and whether independent and undecided voters will drink the Kool-Aid or break from the dominant phony media narrative and vote to re-elect Trump.

 

But if you are still undecided about who to vote for, I urge you to take a hard look at how the Biden-Harris ticket will act on four critical issues that will dramatically affect America should they win this November. (go to link posted at bottom)

Crime and Defunding the Police

One of the biggest issues of this campaign is law and order.

If our government can’t maintain order in our cities, then many other issues become moot. You can’t have a strong economy if people fear going to work.

But it appears that Biden and Harris have sided with the looters and thugs who have brought devastation to our inner cities, destroyed thousands of businesses, injured over 700 police officers and killed dozens of people, most of them minorities.

 

The Biden-Harris campaign desperately wants the support of the far left, which includes the Black Lives Matter/antifa anti-police movement, but does not want American voters to know they support much of its agenda, such as the abolition of bailcuts to the police and restrictions that will make it almost impossible for law enforcement to maintain order.

Biden’s own “unity task force” with Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders issued a paper containing all the buzzwords the far left embraces that will have the effect of dramatically weakening law enforcement in the USA.

But there are other clues where Biden actually stands on this issue.

It was recently revealed that Biden staffers were pouring money into the Minnesota Freedom Fund, a fund that pays off the bail of those rioters arrested for property destruction and other crimes.

In fact, Biden now opposes the entire notion of bail, which is part of the BLM agenda. This means, of course, that potentially dangerous criminals will be released immediately after being arrested. A Biden staffer was also caught smearing the police in a social media post but was not fired.

Needless to say, staff members who are anti-police and pro-rioter would not be working for Biden unless he agreed with them on this issue.

As a former prosecutor, Harris claims to be pro-law and order but she also promoted the Minnesota Freedom Fund, which, by the way, has paid for the release of an actual sex offender.

So much for Harris standing up for the safety of women.

And Harris said that “we need to reimagine how we are achieving public safety” because “we have confused the idea that to achieve safety, you put more cops on the street.” This, of course, is all code for cutting police budgets and regulating the police to the point they are no longer effective. She has also marched with protesters.

This is why many of the national policy unions and associations are now endorsing the Trump-Pence ticket.

A Biden-Harris victory will mean rewarding cities that cut their police budgets with federal aid. It will mean that protesters convicted of crimes on federal property, such as courthouses and national monuments, will be released. It will mean we will witness a slew of congressional legislation and presidential initiatives that will regulate police to the point they will no longer be able to control violence in our cities.

Illegal Immigration and Border Control

Unlike Trump, Biden supports health care benefits for illegal aliens and opposes Trump’s border wall. Clearly, Biden has no “core values” and changes his views to whatever his consultants tell him to. Indeed, just a few years ago he enthusiastically bragged about his support for a 700-mile wall and stopping illegal immigration.

Harris also supports a wide range of benefits for illegal aliens including education, welfare and health care. As San Francisco district attorney, she even oversaw a program that allowed “illegal immigrants to stay out of prison by training them for jobs they cannot legally hold,” according to the Los Angeles Times.

When the “caravans” full of thousands of illegal aliens started to flood into the country, Harris opposed beefing up border security. She also says she wants to “decriminalize border crossings,” which essentially means we will no longer have a border. Furthermore, she’s compared ICE to the KKK.

The Biden-Harris view of the concept of citizenship and border security will send a signal to the world that America no longer enforces border security and will reward those who trek northward with an array of free benefits.

The result will be a tidal wave of millions of illegal aliens that will overwhelm our health care system, our schools, our criminal justice system and our welfare system. This mentality will eventually cost our country trillions of dollars and it will not be sustainable.

Economic Freedom and Prosperity

First, people need to be reminded that the Obama-Biden years did great damage to our country economically.

 With a Biden-Harris victory, some of the biggest tax hikes in history will have to occur in order to pay for a socialist domestic agenda.

Every American who owns a house or has a job will be dramatically affected. Those who work hard will be punished with new taxes and fees, while those who don’t will be rewarded by a massive expansion of welfare programs. The biggest wealth redistribution in history will transpire with the result being the return of America to a permanent recession, even worse than what we suffered through during the Obama era.

 

Of course, there are many other issues that demonstrate the danger of a Biden-Harris victory, such as Biden’s support for communist China, a country that has been working to destroy the USA for decades, his support for gun control, his support for reversing Trump’s abandoning of the Iran nuclear deal and his long history of lying and plagiarism.

Then there is Harris’ failure to prosecute child molesters in California, her support of abortion up until birth, her bigoted attack on Catholics, her unconstitutional attack on gun stores as a prosecutor and her support for biological males competing in female sports.

This is the most far-left ticket to run for the presidency and vice presidency in American history and a victory by Biden-Harris will have severe consequences on the future of America and upon the quality of life for our children and grandchildren.

 

https://www.westernjournal.com/steve-baldwin-evidence-shows-biden-harris-win-will-lead-america-socia...

You can lead a Liberal to knowledge, but you can't make'em THINK! 😞
Trump 2020!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

sunluvngal:    The Evidence Shows a Biden-Harris Win Will Lead America Into Socialism & We Will Probably Never Recover

 

 

 

It would be nice if you could share this "evidence", so would you please? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
501 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@sunluvngal wrote:

The Evidence Shows a Biden-Harris Win Will Lead America Into Socialism & We Will Probably Never Recover

By Steve Baldwin

 

 


Another bogus article with bogus misinformation from a highly biased right wing conservative publication =  "0" credibility!!!

 

 

 

 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Super Contributor

Please define socialism, because, as I'm sure you know, there are at least 8 different forms: Utopian, Social Democratic, Christian, Libertarian, Market, Anarco, National, and State. I believe you are resorting to meaningless emotion-laden labels that you truly do not understand. There are many forms of socialism in American, some of which I'm sure you approve of:

(1) NFL football (the worst teams get the first shot at the best new players. TV revenues are shared by all teams, whether they're playing that week or not).

(2) The US has the Federal Reserve, which is a form of a national bank and a cornerstone of a socialist government.

(3) The government's right of Eminent Domain - Rights of private property are restricted by laws and regulations.

(4) Most of the transportation infrastructure is owned or controlled by the state.

(5) Subsidies to farmers, Industry bailouts.

(6) Ban on Child Labor, and Labor Laws (Equal Pay for Equal Work, Definition of a Working Day, Vacation Pay, Overtime, Minimum Wage). 

(6) Public everything: Education, Parks, Toliets, Parking, Universities, Hospitals, Fire, Police,      Libraries, Drinking Fountains, Jails, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, And All Branches Of The Military.

Social Butterfly

And Senator Joe McCarthy tried this tactic as a witch hunt in the 50s, and tried to kick the living daylights out of the Bill of Rights.  He failed.

Honored Social Butterfly


@sunluvngal wrote:

 

A Biden-Harris victory will ensure that the Republican Party will never win the presidency again...

 

giphy (9).gif

 

Oh, the fear-monering from the RIGHT!


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

This has to be the most important story of the day. I bet millions could not sleep last night because of this. Just one thing. Why this now? Why is every supporting article an opinion article being used as fact. Want to bet this is a deflection story to try and keep people busy so they will not hear the real news of the day.

How about Trump telling us that he never lied to all of us about the virus, but Woodward did. How about what Trump called his top military leaders and Woodward has that on tape. It proves once again what Trump thinks of our military, and vets. How about Trump telling Woodward about the new defense system we have that the Russia and and China does not know about. Well they do now and they will start to develop their own. Trump just restarted the Nuclear Arms race again. How many American Presidents worked so hard to end the race, and Trump in one interview reverses that. It once again proves Mary correct when she tells us he is treasonous.  

Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@sunluvngal wrote:

 

A Biden-Harris victory will ensure that the Republican Party will never win the presidency again...

 

giphy (9).gif

 

Oh, the fear-monering from the RIGHT!



@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@sunluvngal wrote:

 

A Biden-Harris victory will ensure that the Republican Party will never win the presidency again... and America will gradually be transformed into a socialist semi-dictatorship in which opponents will be spied on, censored, harassed and even jailed based on trumped-up charges and bogus claims of “hate speech.”

 

 

 

Oh, the fear-monering from the RIGHT!


sunluvngal:

 

dems and socialism Sept 2020.jfif

 

truth Sept 2020.jpg

 

You can lead a Liberal to knowledge, but you can't make'em THINK! 😞
Trump 2020!!!
Conversationalist

Cuba: a story of socialist failure

As Fidel Castro progressed slowly toward Havana in the first days of 1959, he was met by huge crowds of enthusiastic supporters. The ex-president, Fulgencio Batista, had fled in the early hours of New Year’s Day to the Dominican Republic, accompanied by various supporters and an estimated $700 million in cash, art and bullion. With a high degree of corruption, the brazen presence of the U.S. mafia, and the use of violence to ensure control, Cuba’s crony capitalism had little support, even from its previous backers in the United States. Batista had fallen and, for the cheering crowds, the revolution was a chance to replace a system that enriched a small corrupt clique with one that promised to deliver human progress to the Cuban people as a whole.

Castro had expressed little by way of an economic agenda other than his commitment to land reform, greater democracy and better education. It was a program that made it easy for him to ally with others. When he took control, he even appointed a liberal president and prime minister. Six months after the revolution (July 1959), Castro could assert, “I am not a communist and neither is the revolutionary movement.”

But Castro’s land reform was getting bogged down and Cuban government was splintering as varied interests within it diverged on policy questions. Escalating conflict with the United States highlighted the need for powerful friends. As a consummate politician, Castro knew he could not leave a policy vacuum. To create his new economic plan, he turned to an unlikely source – his deputy in the revolutionary army, Che Guevara. Better known as a revolutionary fighter, Guevara would run the land reform programme, be the President of the National Bank of Cuba, Minister of Industry, a member of the National Directorate for the Economy, member of the Council of Ministers, and chief negotiator with the communist bloc.

Guevara had no doubt as to the cause of Cuba’s lack of human progress. It was not a lack of natural resources, for the country had fertile land with leading sugar, cigar and rum industries. It was blessed with the world’s second largest nickel reserves, the fifth largest production of cobalt, and reserves of oil, iron ore, copper, mahogany and cedar. Having studied Marx, Guevara was sure that the problem rested with what he perceived as Cuba’s “laissez-faire capitalism.” It was capitalism, he reasoned, that had impoverished Cuba despite its rich natural resources, thus showing “how deeply a people can enslave itself by economic means without realising it.”

Guevara adopted several goals to direct human progress in Cuba. On prosperity he proposed doubling “the yearly income of each Cuban in ten years… [from] 400 pesos… to more than 900 pesos.” Unemployment was to be eliminated by 1962. Meaningful work, he reasoned, would spur human development rather than “alienating” workers from the product of their labor. Guevara launched initiatives to eliminate illiteracy, and to massively expand free education and health care. A “New Man” would emerge – informed, educated, healthy, gladly working to provide society’s material needs, and committed to socialism for all. It was, for many, an attractive vision.

For Guevara, the means to deliver these goals included an extensive program of state planning and control. He argued that “planning is one of the laws of socialism. Without it there can be no adequate guarantee that all the sectors of a country’s economy will combine harmoniously.” And that “the sine qua non for an economic plan is that the state controls the bulk of the means of production, and better yet, all the means of production.”

Virtually all of agriculture, industry and commerce were nationalised; output objectives and pricing were set centrally, as were wages and employment levels; food and consumer goods were rationed, down to the level of how many eggs each person could buy each month; most savings were seized; investment followed a central industrial policy; foreign exchange and trade was controlled. It was one of the most comprehensive attempts ever implemented to use socialist central planning to deliver human progress. That approach largely continues – six decades later.

As an economic approach, it has failed. It also failed to bring progress to the people of Cuba. GDP per capita has risen at only around 1 percent per year, and that includes (now ending) subsidies from Venezuela and transfers from Cubans living in the United States. Two million people have emigrated to the United States and elsewhere. Despite its fertile land, Cuba imports two-thirds of its food. When the USSR subsidy ended in the early 1990s, GDP fell by a third and there were widespread, severe food shortages. The inefficiencies of planning meant that Cuban productivity languished as other countries overtook even the previously competitive sugar industry. And planning also failed to direct investment to genuine economic opportunities. Instead investment has produced low returns and failed to deliver growth.

There has been some progress in healthcare and education, but not in housing. For example, Cuban life expectancy is reported to have risen from 64 in 1960 to 79 today. But similar improvements have occurred in other parts of the Caribbean. Unfortunately, Cuban “achievements” have come at huge opportunity cost, with education and healthcare each consuming around a tenth of GDP. In many other countries, the two are provided at less cost. Intriguingly, Cuban investment in human capital has not itself produced a better growth rate, indicating how important other factors – such as economic freedom – are in turning human capital into human progress.

Those who crowded the streets of Havana in 1959, hoping that the fall of Batista’s crony capitalism would usher in a period of human progress, have been sadly disappointed. Anyone interested in what prevents economic and human progress can learn many lessons from Cuba’s stagnation. Cuba joined the long list of countries where central planning and state ownership have turned out to be a detour on the route to progress and prosperity.

https://iea.org.uk/cuba-a-story-of-socialist-failure/

 

And then we have Cuba - another socialist failure 60 years in the making

Honored Social Butterfly

  That weird smell when the FarRight pen / nah, copy/paste nonsense if the flop-sweat they may be emanating as they see the road for them is ending in a very very deep hole.   

   As one Republican wrote:   They need to burn it ( Republicanism) down at every level of government, and then see what will eventually replace the rabid right that is busy attempting to destroy the constitution. 

 

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

Problem is for the last 70 years, the GOPerLords have told outrageous LIES about Socialism and made certain our public schools never were allowed to correct the lies with facts. But the facts are, here's the ten happiest countries in the World: Notice any similarities???

10 Happiest Countries in the World, Ranked
  1. Finland. For the third year in a row, Finland is number one when it comes to happiness.
  2. Denmark. Denmark remained in the number two spot this year. ...
  3. Switzerland. ...
  4. Iceland. ...
  5. Norway. ...
  6. Netherlands. ...
  7. Sweden. ...
  8. New Zealand. ...
  9. Austria
  10. Luxembourg

And the similarity? According to the GOPerLords, all 10 are SOCIALIST!

Why? Because the GOPerLords intentionally confuse SOCIAL JUSTICE with socialISM, with the only objective being to keep the UBERRich from paying a reasonable share of the tax burden necessary for living in a civilized country.

 

Not a single soul in any of those countries will ever lose everything because a child gets sick. Their Doctors will never have to flee the small towns because they can't earn enough to pay off their student debts. No one with a full-time job will ever live in poverty. Nobody needs a private elementary school to ensure their child receives a great education, nor do they worry about how their very bright child will ever pay for college or a trade school after they graduate high school. And for us Seniors the best is that nobody in any of those countries worries about having enough money to someday RETIRE and enjoy the fruits of a lifetime of labor.

 

Democrats want to do the same for all Americans.

 

Republicans want to make sure that never happens because the bottom 50% of Americans pay no federal income tax and the next 40% are too dumb to know what they COULD have were it not for Republicans, so they don't deserve it either.

 

And where does the Richest Nation on Earth - the US of A rank in 2019? 19th, down one from last year and down FIVE since 2017...Gee, wonder why that happened? (can you say "Psychopathic moron leader"?)

Conversationalist


@Olderscout66 wrote:

Problem is for the last 70 years, the GOPerLords have told outrageous LIES about Socialism and made certain our public schools never were allowed to correct the lies with facts. But the facts are, here's the ten happiest countries in the World: Notice any similarities???

10 Happiest Countries in the World, Ranked
  1. Finland. For the third year in a row, Finland is number one when it comes to happiness.
  2. Denmark. Denmark remained in the number two spot this year. ...
  3. Switzerland. ...
  4. Iceland. ...
  5. Norway. ...
  6. Netherlands. ...
  7. Sweden. ...
  8. New Zealand. ...
  9. Austria
  10. Luxembourg

And the similarity? According to the GOPerLords, all 10 are SOCIALIST!

Why? Because the GOPerLords intentionally confuse SOCIAL JUSTICE with socialISM, with the only objective being to keep the UBERRich from paying a reasonable share of the tax burden necessary for living in a civilized country.

 

Not a single soul in any of those countries will ever lose everything because a child gets sick. Their Doctors will never have to flee the small towns because they can't earn enough to pay off their student debts. No one with a full-time job will ever live in poverty. Nobody needs a private elementary school to ensure their child receives a great education, nor do they worry about how their very bright child will ever pay for college or a trade school after they graduate high school. And for us Seniors the best is that nobody in any of those countries worries about having enough money to someday RETIRE and enjoy the fruits of a lifetime of labor.

 

Democrats want to do the same for all Americans.

 

Republicans want to make sure that never happens because the bottom 50% of Americans pay no federal income tax and the next 40% are too dumb to know what they COULD have were it not for Republicans, so they don't deserve it either.

 

And where does the Richest Nation on Earth - the US of A rank in 2019? 19th, down one from last year and down FIVE since 2017...Gee, wonder why that happened? (can you say "Psychopathic moron leader"?)


How Socialism Destroyed Venezuela

Many in the media have blamed Venezuela’s worsening humanitarian crisis on corruption, mismanagement, falling oil prices, or U.S sanctions—anything but the rise of socialism in what was once the wealthiest country in South America.

Yet corruption and mismanagement were the direct result of increased government control of the economy—socialism—and in reality, lower oil prices and U.S. sanctions have little to do with the crisis. Instead, the mass starvation and exodus faced by Venezuelans are the natural consequence of the socialist policies implemented by dictators Hugo Chavez and Nicolas Maduro.

There are three main policies implemented by Chavez since 1999 that produced the current crisis: Widespread nationalization of private industry, currency and price controls, and the fiscally irresponsible expansion of welfare programs.

One of Chavez’s first actions was to start nationalizing the agriculture sector, supposedly reducing poverty and inequality by taking from rich landowners to give to poor workers. From 1999 to 2016, his regime robbed more than 6 million hectares of land from its rightful owners.

Nationalization destroyed production in affected industries because no government has the capacity to run thousands of businesses or the profit motive to run them efficiently. Instead, government officials face incentives to please voters by selling products at low prices and hiring more employees than necessary, even when that’s the wrong industry decision.

As economic theory predicted, as state control of the agricultural industry increased, Venezuela’s food production fell 75% in two decades while the country’s population increased by 33%. This was a recipe for shortages and economic disaster. After agriculture, the regime nationalized electricity, water, oil, banks, supermarkets, construction, and other crucial sectors. And in all these sectors, the government increased payrolls and gave away products at low cost, resulting in days-long countrywide blackouts, frequent water service interruptions, falling oil production, and bankrupt government enterprises.

Yet taking over the most important sectors of the economy was not enough for the socialist regime. In 2003, Chavez implemented a foreign currency control scheme where the government set an overvalued exchange rate between the Venezuelan currency and the U.S. dollar.

One goal of the scheme was to reduce inflation by overvaluing the currency, subsidizing imported products. But the currency control meant the regime had to ration available U.S. dollars to importers since, at an overvalued (cheap) exchange rate, there was more demand for U.S. dollars than supply. Naturally, a black market for foreign currency emerged and corrupt regime members and lucky individuals assigned cheap U.S. dollars obtained large profits. Even worse, the scheme actually increased inflation since overvaluing the currency reduced government oil revenues in Venezuelan currency, leading the regime to print money to cover the ensuing budget deficit.

The socialist regime also implemented price ceilings on hundreds of basic products such as beef, milk and toilet paper. At artificially low prices, more people were willing to buy these products but the few private factories left—not nationalized—could not profit at the government-capped price, so they reduced or halted their production. Instead of benefiting the poor, price ceilings predictably resulted in shortages that forced them to stand in lines for hours, while supermarket employees and the well-connected obtained the products they needed.

But perhaps the most harmful part of the Venezuelan socialist project is the part that the international media and leftist figures used to praise most frequently: welfare programs. The socialist regime created social “missions” aimed at tackling poverty, illiteracy, healthcare, and more. But despite enjoying higher government oil revenues due to a tenfold rise in oil prices from $10 a barrel in 1999 to more than $100 in 2008, the regime financed a growing deficit by printing more currency. Expansive welfare programs and massive public-works projects provided ever-growing opportunities for still greater corruption. Printing money to pay for endless state programs unsurprisingly led to high rates of inflation.

In this way, socialism run rampant—not cronyism, corruption, falling oil prices, or U.S. sanctions—caused the crisis in Venezuela. Welfare programs that were supposed to help the poor actually increased the cost of living. A foreign currency control that aimed to reduce inflation only increased it and allowed for massive corruption. And nationalizations that should have given “power” to workers only left them unemployed and hungry.

Corrupt regimes can certainly cause many problems, but without socialism, hyperinflation and widespread shortages are not usually among them. Moreover, even at today’s lower oil prices, Venezuelan oil sells for two to three times as much as in 1999 adjusting for inflation. And the only U.S. sanction with some chance of affecting regular Venezuelans, the ban on oil imports, has not been in effect for even two months while inflation and shortages have plagued the country for years.

So do not make excuses. As Venezuelans have learned over the past 20 years of socialism, “free things” come at a high price.

Daniel Di Martino (@DanielDiMartino) is a Young Voices contributor and Venezuelan expatriate studying economics in Indianapolis, Indiana.

https://economics21.org/how-socialism-destroyed-venezuela

 

But it worked so well in Venezuela....................

Honored Social Butterfly

Venezuela didn’t fail because of socialism but from falling to a corrupt dictator.

 

Cuba is another country that fell under a dictatorship.

 

Can’t anyone on the right tell the difference between a socialist country and a dictatorship?

Conversationalist


@Snoopy48 wrote:

Venezuela didn’t fail because of socialism but from falling to a corrupt dictator.

 

Cuba is another country that fell under a dictatorship.

 

Can’t anyone on the right tell the difference between a socialist country and a dictatorship?


History has shown that communism/socialism creates dictators:

Kim Jong-un

Joseph Stalin

Fidel Castro

Kim Jong II

Mao Zedong

Hugo Chavez

Vladimir Lenin

Nicolae Ceauescu

 

Absolute power corrupts absolutely - and Communism/Socialism creates absolute power for those in charge.

0 Kudos
509 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@AzRancher wrote:

@Snoopy48 wrote:

Venezuela didn’t fail because of socialism but from falling to a corrupt dictator.

 

Cuba is another country that fell under a dictatorship.

 

Can’t anyone on the right tell the difference between a socialist country and a dictatorship?


History has shown that communism/socialism creates dictators:

Kim Jong-un

Joseph Stalin

Fidel Castro

Kim Jong II

Mao Zedong

Hugo Chavez

Vladimir Lenin

Nicolae Ceauescu

 

Absolute power corrupts absolutely - and Communism/Socialism creates absolute power for those in charge.


Yet you support Trump who praises and worships ruthless Communist dictators .... and have no problem participating in out country's two largest SOCIAL programs .... SOCIAL Security and Medicare!

 

 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
444 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Snoopy48 wrote:

Venezuela didn’t fail because of socialism but from falling to a corrupt dictator.

 

Cuba is another country that fell under a dictatorship.

 

Can’t anyone on the right tell the difference between a socialist country and a dictatorship?


Clearly they can't.  They CAN support a leader that acts more like a dictator than a leader of the greatest Democracy on Earth.  I read trump said he saved the Crown Princes MbS' butt for slaughtering Jamal Koashoggi....ain't that PRECIOUS? 

 

The Right is in bed with Satan himself...


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Social Butterfly

Olderscout66 wrote:

Problem is for the last 70 years, the GOPerLords have told outrageous LIES about Socialism and made certain our public schools never were allowed to correct the lies with facts. But the facts are, here's the ten happiest countries in the World: Notice any similarities???

10 Happiest Countries in the World, Ranked
  1. Finland. For the third year in a row, Finland is number one when it comes to happiness.
  2. Denmark. Denmark remained in the number two spot this year. ...
  3. Switzerland. ...
  4. Iceland. ...
  5. Norway. ...
  6. Netherlands. ...
  7. Sweden. ...
  8. New Zealand. ...
  9. Austria
  10. Luxembourg

 And where does the Richest Nation on Earth - the US of A rank in 2019? 19th, down one from last year and down FIVE since 2017...Gee, wonder why that happened? (can you say "Psychopathic moron leader"?)


sunluvngal:

I haven't checked your stats, but any intelligent person can see why our country isn't  ranked up there in the 10 "happiest" countries, these days.  Not because of President Trump, but rather the psychopathic, moronic, insane radicals being allowed to run amuck because of the radical, cowardly democrats in positions of authority.

 

democratic socialism Sept 2020.jfif

 

dems and socialism Sept 2020.jfif

 

 

 

You can lead a Liberal to knowledge, but you can't make'em THINK! 😞
Trump 2020!!!
0 Kudos
405 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@sunluvngal wrote:
Olderscout66 wrote:

Problem is for the last 70 years, the GOPerLords have told outrageous LIES about Socialism and made certain our public schools never were allowed to correct the lies with facts. But the facts are, here's the ten happiest countries in the World: Notice any similarities???

10 Happiest Countries in the World, Ranked
  1. Finland. For the third year in a row, Finland is number one when it comes to happiness.
  2. Denmark. Denmark remained in the number two spot this year. ...
  3. Switzerland. ...
  4. Iceland. ...
  5. Norway. ...
  6. Netherlands. ...
  7. Sweden. ...
  8. New Zealand. ...
  9. Austria
  10. Luxembourg

 And where does the Richest Nation on Earth - the US of A rank in 2019? 19th, down one from last year and down FIVE since 2017...Gee, wonder why that happened? (can you say "Psychopathic moron leader"?)


sunluvngal:

I haven't checked your stats, but any intelligent person can see why our country isn't  ranked up there in the 10 "happiest" countries, these days. 


Yep, it's obviously because of tRump and the Republicans.  Republicans have had the overall majority in congress for 24 of the last 27 years.   And some try to blame Democrats, how ignorant that is.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

Trump supporters continually and erroneously equate ANY social program with Socialistic Communism .... but still participate in our country's two largest social programs  .... SOCIAL Security and Medicare!!!

 

So why don't they place their actions where their beliefs are and quit Social Security and Medicare?

 

And then they support Trump who worships and praises ruthless COMMUNIST dictators!

 

The epitome of hypocrisy!!!

 

 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
412 Views
0
Report
Social Butterfly

Yep and it will do the same IN OUR COUNTRY IF lyin' biden and his radical cohorts get elected.

 

Pandemic gives Biden and Dems an excuse to push socialist agenda

- - Wednesday, August 12, 2020

 

Coronavirus is giving the Democrats — and their presumptive presidential nominee Joe Biden — an excuse to radically shift the course of this country to socialism. 

 

Michelle Obama said the quiet part out-loud in a podcast last week. While talking to journalist Michele Norris, Mrs. Obama said that the coronavirus pandemic was actually an opportunity to think about “how wealth is distributed” in America. 

 

Scanning left-leaning websites, it’s also clear the most progressive, radical elements in the Democratic Party see coronavirus as an opportunity to pull Joe Biden leftward, and indeed, with his recent policy announcements, he’s moved away from the more moderate platform he once championed to a radically socialist one. 

 

After laying out his “Build Back Better” economic recovery package, crafted in part with now informal policy adviser Elizabeth Warren, Mr. Biden admitted, “if I’m elected and this passes I’m going to be good to go down as one of the most progressive presidents in America’s history.”

 

And he’s right. 

 

The policies he’s laid out post-coronavirus represent “the largest mobilization of public investment since World War II,” as his campaign has stated. The New York Magazine summed it up best with the headline “Biden is planning an FDR-Size Presidency.”

 

First, there’s the Biden-Sanders Unity Plan, which will set the agenda for the Democratic Party Platform next week. The radical-leftist plan includes support for a House bill that would study the issue of reparations to Black Americans, supports investments in non-traditional “community policing,” suspends all deportations of illegal immigrants, bans for-profit private charter schools, makes public college and university tuition free, and forgives all undergraduate debt for those making under $125,000. 

It’s “the most progressive platform of any Democratic nominee in the modern history of the party,” Waleed Shahid, communications director for Justice Democrats, a group that pushes progressive Democrats to challenge more moderate ones, told Vox.

Mr. Sanders himself agrees. On the Biden-Sanders Unity Plan he commented to MSNBC: “I think the compromise that they came up with, if implemented, will make Biden the most progressive president since FDR.”

 

Don’t be fooled. Mr. Biden is quietly changing course, and the socialists within the Democratic Party are cheering him on every step of the way, utilizing his middle-of-the-road persona as a way to palatably pass through their most radical agendas. 

 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/aug/12/covid-19-pandemic-biden-democrats-push-socialism/

 

You can lead a Liberal to knowledge, but you can't make'em THINK! 😞
Trump 2020!!!
0 Kudos
366 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

It is false to suggest Biden is a Socialist or supports Socialism.  The right can't be honest about much; can they? It doesn't serve them well.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly


@sunluvngal wrote:

Yep and it will do the same IN OUR COUNTRY IF lyin' biden and his radical cohorts get elected.

Pandemic gives Biden and Dems an excuse to push socialist agenda 

.... The policies he’s laid out post-coronavirus represent “the largest mobilization of public investment since World War II,” as his campaign has stated. The New York Magazine summed it up best with the headline “Biden is planning an FDR-Size Presidency.”

 

The Works Progress Administration (WPA; renamed in 1939 as the Work Projects Administration) was an American New Deal agency, employing millions of job-seekers (mostly unskilled men) to carry out public works projects, including the construction of public buildings and roads.
Founders: Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry Hopkins
Jurisdiction: United States
 
I have thought for a long time that another American New Deal should be activated and that Biden can get it done.  What is not the up-side of millions of people going to work?  I love seeing WPA markers throughout the country honoring this massive social program that worked hard and well to HELP right the ship.  What FDR accomplished was HUGE.   
Honored Social Butterfly

Agree,  It has costed Cuba 50 years of misery.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

Why is it that those who rant about failed socialism always chose a country ruled by a tyrannical dictator as their example? Don't they know the difference between a socialist government and a dictatorship?

 

How about using Norway, Denmark, Sweden. Great Britain, Canada, etc. as examples of socialism? Is it because that they are successful and the people are much happier than those in the US?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png