Social Security

Donald Trump publicly indicated he would end Social Security/Medicare. What is AARP and it's members doing about this?

Honored Social Butterfly

sr5989 posted..

Donald Trump publicly indicated he would end Social Security/Medicare. What is AARP and it's members doing about this?

==============================================================

As he did not say that AARP has no reason to comment on it.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

RS posted-Donald Trump publicly indicated he would end Social Security/Medicare. What is AARP and it's members doing about this?-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Trump never said it but Biden did-

A recent fact-check by The Intercept found that Biden has advocated cutting Social Security for the last 40 years. He even bragged about it on the Senate floor in 1995, saying:

“When I argued that we should freeze federal spending, I meant Social Security as well. I meant Medicare and Medicaid. I meant veterans’ benefits. I meant every single solitary thing in the government. And I not only tried it once, I tried it twice, I tried it a third time, and I tried it a fourth time.”

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

When I(BIDEN) introduced my budget freeze proposal years ago, the liberals of my party said, ‘It’s an awful thing you are doing, Joe. All the programs we care about, you are freezing them — money for the blind, the disabled, education and so on,’” Biden continued. “My argument then is one I make now, which is the strongest, most compelling reason to be for this amendment — or an amendment — that if we do not do that, all the things I care most about are going to be gone — gone.”

THE FIRST FEW months of 1995 were taken up with debate over another GOP-led balanced budget amendment, with Biden arguing forcefully to exclude Social Security from it.

“After the year 2014, we will be in deficit in the Social Security system,” he warned. “It seems pretty clear to me this is about two things: One, they need the Social Security dollars to make the deficit look like it is less than it is, and then the next step is they are going to need to try to deal with changing it to increase the amount of money they get in the trust funds to make the deficit look even less, which means that Social Security is going to get hit.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

TWENTY-FIVE YEARS AGO, Biden called for a TEMPORARY freeze on COLA for Social Security. Here's what he says NOW:

BIDEN: Right now, we pay about 6.2 percent out of our salary, up to roughly $130,000. I have been proposing for some time that we do the same thing for everybody making over $400,000. So, for example, you, in fact, make 60 grand, you get 6.2% taken out of your salary. If you make $130,000, you get 6.2%. If you're making a million, you pay the exact same amount as someone making $130,000. By moving to keep the tax at 6.2% for people making every dollar over $400,000, we can pay for everything I'm talking about. And we can make it solvent, for all of these kids here.                   Source: CNN N. H. Town Hall on eve of 2020 N. H. primary , Feb 5, 2020

Now, what does Cadet Bonespurs tRump say NOW about Social Security?

"In other words, I'll extend it (the elimination of payroll tax collection) beyond the end of the year and terminate the tax." businessinssider.com 8/6/20

Joe Biden will SAVE Social Security and Medicare for you, your kids and your grandkids and the Toad will take it away from YOU 34 months after he wins the election. Not what I say BUT WHAT THEY SAY. Republicans all say the same thing their ToadLord is saying.

VOTE THEM OUT

THEN

LOCK THEM UP

Honored Social Butterfly

sr5989 wrote: Donald Trump publicly indicated he would end Social Security/Medicare. What is AARP and it's members doing about this?

INDICATED! The gutless Toad DECLARED, SWORE, VOWED he would end Medicare in 4 months and Social Security in 37 months - that's how long the Trust Funds for each system could continue making current payments after the Toad stops the revenue coming in for those who aren't retired YET.

I'm making sure Toad's enablers on this blog do not get away with denying what he's sworn he'll do if re-elected and pointing out its not just tRump - ITS THE ENTIRE REPUBLICAN PARTY who are devoted to ending SS and Medicare.

VOTE THEM OUT

THEN

LOCK THEM UP

Just to make sure I'm clear on this you're saying that I've worked for the last 40 years depending on Social Security as part of my retirement budget and now it's just going to disappear, or is he saying he's going to fund Social Security from a different source?  You know at this point to me, he has no credibility left so I pretty much take everything he says as a lie, until proven otherwise. He's earned that.  He seems to want to or create massive civil unrest or start a  revolution.  Divide and conquer so the puppet master Putin can slide right in.  Is this just one more way he is pressuring the masses to revolt?  He can do as he likes but when he starts playing with my (our) stomach, things are really going to explode.

Honored Social Butterfly

M210 posted-Just to make sure I'm clear on this you're saying that I've worked for the last 40 years depending on Social Security as part of my retirement budget and now it's just going to disappear, or is he saying he's going to fund Social Security from a different source?----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Don`t sound  like your SS is about to disappear after 40 years. BTW- Who is on retirement for 40 years unless you are pushing or over 100?

Honored Social Butterfly

easyed wrote IP

Don`t sound  like your SS is about to disappear after 40 years. BTW- Who is on retirement for 40 years unless you are pushing or over 100?

No wonder you support tRump. This says the person WORKED 40 years depending on SS to be part of his/her retirement - Planning on SS being a part of their retirement package.

If the Toad Lord of the GOP is re-elected he has PROMISED to eliminate the PAYROLL TAX which funds about 90% of your SS benefits and 97% of Medicare. The chief actuary for SS has calculated IF tRump's PROMISE happens, SS will be GONE - not reduced, not delayed - GONE in less than three years and Medicare won't last one year.

This is what Republicans have wanted since SS was created, so a vote for ANY REPUBLICAN is a vote to DESTROY SS FOR EVERYONE!

OPh yeah, in case you missed it, he'll destroy the Post Office as well, so if you happen to live in a rural area that doesn't get UPS or FedEx, kiss your ability to buy anything and have it delivered good-bye.

VOTE THEM OUT

THEN

LOCK THEM UP

Honored Social Butterfly

@m210817k wrote:

Just to make sure I'm clear on this you're saying that I've worked for the last 40 years depending on Social Security as part of my retirement budget and now it's just going to disappear, or is he saying he's going to fund Social Security from a different source?  You know at this point to me, he has no credibility left so I pretty much take everything he says as a lie, until proven otherwise. He's earned that.  He seems to want to or create massive civil unrest or start a  revolution.  Divide and conquer so the puppet master Putin can slide right in.  Is this just one more way he is pressuring the masses to revolt?  He can do as he likes but when he starts playing with my (our) stomach, things are really going to explode.

@m210817k 

Trump will eliminate Social Security by eliminating the payroll tax which funds both Social Security and Medicare.

The Social Security Trust will fund Social Security for about 2 years when it runs out of money.

Your Medicare will stop 4 months after Trump eliminates the payroll tax.

And no, Trump has no other source to fund Social Security OR Medicare!

ALL CURRENT SENIORS AND FUTURE SENIORS WILL BE SEVERELY SHAFTED BY TRUMP.

TRUMP'S PLAN TO ELIMINATE THE PAYROLL TAX IS A DEATH SENTENCE FOR ALL SENIORS!!!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Social Butterfly

Trump cant do this all by himself at this stage of the game.

Congress controls the  purse strings.

The Republicans in the Senate are going to lose, like basterds at a family reunion.

The Democrats will never allow this.

The payroll deduction deferral is only mandatory for federal employees per Trumps ex. order.

All private employers and employees can opt out and pay ss and medicaid as normal.

He passed a tothless tiger act, trying to look strong, which did nothing for no one.

Stupid people get a 4 month defferal and a 4 month payback with double deductions in January.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Hopefully folks who depend on SS or Medicare will wake up to what trump is up to...how can programs survive when revenue sources are taken away?

And with folks out of work, and businesses not operating, we lose further revenue...trump seems bent on choking our Government to death!

Honored Social Butterfly

Make sure to vote like your life depends on it, because it just may!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png