Contributor

Social Security and Medicare

What is AARP doing to protect the CMS and all of us that rely on it for our way of life? Trump is attacking CMS by cutting payroll tax, and it is well known that his and Mitch McConnell both want to defund SS and Medicare, so what are our dues doing to lobby against this?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

As Trump takes actions which will devastate Social Security and Medicare, his cult members are forced to defend them, just like everything else he does. Aren't you glad you're not a cult member?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

@mg85919835 wrote:

What is AARP doing to protect the CMS and all of us that rely on it for our way of life? Trump is attacking CMS by cutting payroll tax, and it is well known that his and Mitch McConnell both want to defund SS and Medicare, so what are our dues doing to lobby against this?

Received this email from AARP today:

Hi there,

On Saturday, President Trump signed a series of Executive Actions, including one to suspend payroll taxes through the end of the year. He has also said he would eliminate the payroll tax completely if re-elected.

---, this is what you need to know:
  • The payroll tax funds Social Security benefits.
  • Americans 50+ are already on edge about their financial and retirement security, and cutting Social Security funding could put benefits and the whole program at risk going forward.
---, we’re calling on President Trump to clarify his statements on eliminating the Social Security payroll tax. Will you help?

Email President Trump today. Ask him to explain how he'll protect benefits and the future of Social ...

Social Security is the largest source of retirement income for most Americans and provides nearly all income for one in four seniors. And across the board — no matter party affiliation or age — the American public overwhelmingly supports Social Security.

Suspending, reducing, or eliminating the payroll tax will interfere with Social Security’s long-term funding — and raise serious questions about the future of the program.

So we demand answers.

Email President Trump today. We deserve an explanation of how the Social Security funding would be r...

action.aarp.org/security

Know this: AARP will never stop fighting to strengthen Social Security and make sure it’s protected for this generation and the next. With so many Americans struggling to afford health care and other basic needs, Social Security remains a vital lifeline.

We’re counting on you to help. Will you do that today by emailing President Trump?

Thank you,

The AARP Grassroots Advocacy team
Silver Conversationalist

"We have come up with a solution that's really, really I think very good," Trump said at a meeting of the nation's governors at the White House.
"Now, I have to tell you, it's an unbelievably complex subject," he added. "Nobody knew health care could be so complicated."

Everybody knew but you, Donnie.

Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.
Donald Trump
Esteemed Social Butterfly

@mg85919835 wrote:

AARP opposes the payroll tax deferral.  You can find that article and more at AARP: Advocacy.

Here are a couple of other related articles (filed under Government & Elections)

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch wrote:

@mg85919835 wrote:

AARP opposes the payroll tax deferral.  You can find that article and more at AARP: Advocacy.

Here are a couple of other related articles (filed under Government & Elections)

Did they or any of you oppose the payroll tax deferral given to employers under the CARES ACT passed in March 2020?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@MsStretch wrote:

@mg85919835 wrote:

Did they or any of you oppose the payroll tax deferral given to employers under the CARES ACT passed in March 2020?

Simple answer. NO as it would be paid at a later date. Big difference between what was done then and what Trump wants to do with his ex. order. He said there could be a deferral of payment through the end of this year. Then if he was reelected he would cancel any repayment by indv. of the deferred tax. That is a bribe. Vote for me and you will not have to pay that tax. That is not what was given to employers in March.

Once again when you understand the total subject rather than one part found by reading incomplete articles on part of the subject we find 2 different problems not one.

Honored Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

Simple answer. NO as it would be paid at a later date. Big difference between what was done then and what Trump wants to do with his ex. order. He said there could be a deferral of payment through the end of this year. Then if he was reelected he would cancel any repayment by indv. of the deferred tax. That is a bribe. Vote for me and you will not have to pay that tax. That is not what was given to employers in March.

Once again when you understand the total subject rather than one part found by reading incomplete articles on part of the subject we find 2 different problems not one.

DEFERMENT is deferment - employer / employee - the devil is always in the details and the details remain to be seen as to what actions his EO or memorandum (for employees) could even bring, if any.  

President Trump does a lot of things and says a lot of things - sometimes they just don't work out/ sometimes legally, they can't work.  He is a showman - unless there is further action, no need to be concerned with his showman words.

People here seem to have a concern about what deferment might do to the Trust Fund - the Trust Funds already have problems before and related to the Covid-19 economic downturn - but deferments are paid back. 

I have already said that I think any payroll tax deferment is not a good stimulus - for employers or employees but evidently Congress (Dems and Rep) thought well of it when they passed the deferment for employers in the CARES ACT.  What happen if they go bankrupt ?  The government just becomes another creditor - maybe 1st in line - but you can't get money out of a turnip.

No need to insult me - I understand things just fine. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

DEFERMENT is deferment - employer / employee - the devil is always in the details and the details remain to be seen as to what actions his EO or memorandum (for employees) could even bring, if any.  

President Trump does a lot of things and says a lot of things - sometimes they just don't work out/ sometimes legally, they can't work.  He is a showman - unless there is further action, no need to be concerned with his showman words.

People here seem to have a concern about what deferment might do to the Trust Fund - the Trust Funds already have problems before and related to the Covid-19 economic downturn - but deferments are paid back. 

I have already said that I think any payroll tax deferment is not a good stimulus - for employers or employees but evidently Congress (Dems and Rep) thought well of it when they passed the deferment for employers in the CARES ACT.  What happen if they go bankrupt ?  The government just becomes another creditor - maybe 1st in line - but you can't get money out of a turnip.

You have no understanding of how a NY Mob Boss works by your comments. Trump is not a showman and when he is looked at as that you have disaster as we have with Dictator Trump. There were people in Germany who thought the same thing about Hitler as he came to power and made excuses for him. Well in the end it took WW2 to correct their error, and even then some still thought Hitler was ok.

People here are concerned about Dictator Trump who told all vote for me and I will not put the money back in to trust fund I did not collect from you. You keep it as part of our deal. You overlook that fact.

The State of GA is one of the worst in the USA from what its far right State govt. does and is getting worse. Now we see kids being sacrificed to the virus because of State govt. policy, and a lot of people just sit bye and watch. That is what happens when  people refused to face what is really happening with a problem.

Honored Social Butterfly

DEFERMENT is deferment - employer / employee - the devil is always in the details and the details remain to be seen as to what actions his EO or memorandum (for employees) could even bring, if any. Unfortunately we have grown accostumed to his Erratic  behaviour and lies. therefore the lack of trust is evident. 

President Trump does a lot of things and says a lot of things - sometimes they just don't work out/ sometimes legally, they can't work.  He is a showman - unless there is further action, no need to be concerned with his showman words.Nice to see that you see the amount of trash that he spits our of his mouth

People here seem to have a concern about what deferment might do to the Trust Fund - the Trust Funds already have problems before and related to the Covid-19 economic downturn - but deferments are paid back. We;;with an authoritarian President, one never knows what is his next step. 

I have already said that I think any payroll tax deferment is not a good stimulus - for employers or employees but evidently Congress (Dems and Rep) thought well of it when they passed the deferment for employers in the CARES ACT.  What happen if they go bankrupt ?  The government just becomes another creditor - maybe 1st in line - but you can't get money out of a turnip. I am glad that you see the flaws. and I am glad that you realize the effects on businesses that depend on SS and Medicare.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@mg85919835 wrote:

What is AARP doing to protect the CMS and all of us that rely on it for our way of life? Trump is attacking CMS by cutting payroll tax------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Here is a thought -Why don`t  we take medicare and Social Security out of the general fund and keep it as a separate fund (s). In 1964 it had a large surplus that would have last for eternity. The greedy politicians  back then  confiscated it   as their special piggy bank for their special programs and guaranteed it would  be in the red forever.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

@mg85919835 wrote:

What is AARP doing to protect the CMS and all of us that rely on it for our way of life? Trump is attacking CMS by cutting payroll tax------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Here is a thought -Why don`t  we take medicare and Social Security out of the general fund and keep it as a separate fund (s). In 1964 it had a large surplus that would have last for eternity. The greedy politicians  back then  confiscated it   as their special piggy bank for their special programs and guaranteed it would  be in the red forever.

Medicare and Social Security funds are not now nor have they ever been included in the General Fund, The only change made was to include the accounting for SS and Medicare on the combined spreadsheet so the debt of the country did not look so bad.

The excess SS funds (those not needed to pay current benefits) are still invested in Government Securities as they have been since the late 1930s.

Honored Social Butterfly

Facts mean nothing in Trump World. Of course Trump is now saying he's in favor of protecting pre-existing conditions 3 months before the election. It's just another empty promise from a pathological liar. 

The administration on Thursday June 25th, filed a legal brief to the Supreme Court asking that the ACA be invalidated, a move that would take away health insurance coverage for about 20 million people and make health care a chief issue a little more than four months out from the presidential election. The ACA’s provision protecting people with preexisting conditions from losing their insurance is one of the law’s most popular aspects

Honored Social Butterfly

CT posted-Facts mean nothing in Trump World. Of course Trump is now saying he's in favor of protecting pre-existing conditions 3 months before the election. It's just another empty promise from a pathological liar. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Here is a fact you won`t like- (more than 3 months)

And, then there is this February 2016  debate exchange between Trump and a CNN moderator:

TRUMP: "I want to keep pre-existing conditions [the Obamacare provision that prohibits insurers from denying coverage]. I think we need it. I think it's a modern age. And I think we have to have it."

DANA BASH: "Okay, so let's talk about pre-existing conditions. What the insurance companies say is that the only way that they can cover people is to have a mandate requiring everybody purchase health insurance. Are they wrong?"

TRUMP: "I think they're wrong 100 percent….We should have gotten rid of the lines around each state so we can have real competition…we should have gotten rid of the borders; we should have gotten rid of the lines around the state so there's great competition. The insurance companies are making a fortune on every single thing they do. I'm self-funding my campaign. I'm the only one in either party self-funding my campaign. I'm going to do what's right. We have to get rid of the lines around the states so that there's serious, serious competition…

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You can listen to Trump Supporters make up stories about Obamacare or you can get the facts. Let's face it, Obamacare has flaws which need fixing, but overall, it made some huge changes in the health insurance field.

Please read the following. Despite its problems, Obamacare positively changed the way health care is implemented in America. Here are some of the major changes which improved our way of life. 

• You can no longer be denied health insurance because of Pre-Conditions and it eliminated the Pre-Condition Penalties (Trump is trying to overturn this clause)
  • The unemployed can buy insurance
  • Those who are Self-Employed can buy insurance
  • All preventive care is free to the patient
Honored Social Butterfly

CriticalThinking wrote  You can listen to Trump Supporters make up stories about Obamacare or you can get the facts

EXACTLY. as you put it  "criticalThinking"    !!  

Fact is that the ACA  was what the  republicans started calling  " Obamacare"   believing it would fail.    Even Medicare has experienced "changes" over time....so the ACA will never be the final product if it survives.     

Republicans with short memories forget that THEIR party had input in the creation of the ACA.  .   

November 2013 Reuters article quote:   
The Senate Finance Committee held meetings from June to September 2009 to develop the health care reform bill, according to the finance committee's website. Present at those meetings were Democratic senators Max Baucus, Jeff Bingaman and Kent Conrad and Republican senators Mike Enzi, Chuck Grassley and Olympia Snowe, but there is no single author of the bill. It was a collaboration of Senate Democrats and Republicans, members of the House of Representatives, the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy and other interested parties, indicates Jonathan Cohn of New Republic.

Honored Social Butterfly

Janmb posted-Republicans with short memories forget that THEIR party had input in the creation of the ACA.  .   ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------It wasn`t a smart thing to do then and regretted ever since .It was only a few but majority Republicans  opposed it  and as we found out  it was a bad program . (couldn`t keep your Doctor, Cost double,mandate etc. etc.) All things Obama said wouldn`t happen. Janmb  now wants Republicans to share the blame. Not going to happen.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

Janmb posted-Republicans with short memories forget that THEIR party had input in the creation of the ACA.  .   ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------It wasn`t a smart thing to do then and regretted ever since .It was only a few but majority Republicans  opposed it  and as we found out  it was a bad program . (couldn`t keep your Doctor, Cost double,mandate etc. etc.) All things Obama said wouldn`t happen. Janmb  now wants Republicans to share the blame. Not going to happen.

Because they don't want the bottom 80% to have healthcare?  Yeah, That sounds like Republican values. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Richva posted-Because they don't want the bottom 80% to have healthcare?  Yeah, That sounds like Republican values. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Funny ,I don`t remember  80 percent being turned away before Obamacare. Another exaggeration

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Funny ,I don`t remember  80 percent being turned away before Obamacare. Another exaggeration

that was back in the days when we had employer paid health insurance. Now that Trump has completely destroyed the economy I don’t think too many people are going to have that. Do you?

Honored Social Butterfly

Richva posted-that was back in the days when we had employer paid health insurance. Now that Trump has completely destroyed the economy I don’t think too many people are going to have that. Do you?----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Many years before Obamacare, Companies were getting out of the healthcare business and pensions and letting  health insurance companies  and 401k`s take over. Most of them were transferable when those employees left employment. The reason -Most people didn`t stay with an employer for 40 years like they did decades before.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

Richva posted-that was back in the days when we had employer paid health insurance. Now that Trump has completely destroyed the economy I don’t think too many people are going to have that. Do you?----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Many years before Obamacare, Companies were getting out of the healthcare business and pensions and letting  health insurance companies  and 401k`s take over. Most of them were transferable when those employees left employment. The reason -Most people didn`t stay with an employer for 40 years like they did decades before.

It only required 25 years. Times changed with medical treatment just like fire fighting.

When paid fire depts first started in our cities like Phila., NYC they were paid by Insurance cos. to put out fires in properties they insured. You got a fire mark from your Insurance Co. to put on your house or building. When the fire Co. arrived they looked for the fire mark and if they had a deal with that Insurance Co they put the fire out.

That did not work to well as cities grew so the cities took over fire fighting for every fire in the city, and we paid for the city Fire Dept. through our taxes. The same thing has happened to medical now. It is so complex and effects every phase of every bodies lives all have to have medical services available to them. Just look at what the virus has done to every part of all our lives. You solve this National Problem with the national govt doing what the cities did with fire fighting. They take it over and everyone has medical help available and we pay for it through our taxes.

Sadly the far right lives in the past as you have shown us. We now have airplanes, electrify, TV, and other modern inventions since the times you speak of.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

CT posted-You can no longer be denied health insurance because of Pre-Conditions and it eliminated the Pre-Condition Penalties (Trump is trying to overturn this clause--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Wrong ---Trump renews vow on pre-existing conditions after urging court to overturn ObamaCare

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking wrote:

. . . . . you can get the facts.

• All preventive care is free to the patient

Let's get the "facts" straight -

NOT ALL "preventive care" - only those measures that are sanctioned in the law of Obamacare - Those that are rated A or B by the USPSTF or those who yelled the loudest and got their way.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Trump World never allows facts to get in the way. Joe Biden is opposed to "Medicare for All". His goal is to fix the flaws in Obamacare and improve the program, which has been very successful.

Honored Social Butterfly

CT wrote-Trump World never allows facts to get in the way. Joe Biden is opposed to "Medicare for All". His goal is to fix the flaws in Obamacare and improve the program, which has been very successful-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Been very successful??? When is it going to kick in so all the Democrats and Republicans will quit complaining about our poor health care and the Dems keep  pushing Medicare for all

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Not defunding SS -AARP has no say in the matter or the dues you pay them. BTW - It is Kamala for VP. Now the fun begins.

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

Joe Biden has inched closer to Medicare for All, promising last week to expand the health program to all Americans over 60. But Mr. Biden’s plan relies on large cuts to hospital revenues that won’t fly in Congress, especially among Democrats. More to the point, his expansion is poorly designed if the goal is to help the uninsured.

Mr. Biden proposes reducing the age of Medicare eligibility from 65, thus establishing an option for older workers that would be heavily subsidized by taxpayers.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-bidens-medicare-for-more-mistake-11587078223

Medicare may be in trouble. According to a 2020 report by the Trump administration, the Medicare Trust Fund, also known as the Hospital Insurance Trust Fund, is running out of funds. Starting in 2026, Medicare Part A will only be able to pay for 90% percentage of the costs.1 Unfortunately, these projections do not take into account the fiscal ramifications of the COVID-19 pandemic which could make Medicare insolvent even sooner.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/is-medicare-going-to-run-out-of-money-4101217

So in other words Biden would bankrupt Medicare sooner................

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi supported the payroll tax cut under former President Barack Obama but opposes it under President Donald Trump.

In the absence of a stimulus deal in Congress, Trump authorized a payroll tax deferral by executive order on Saturday. The order instructs the Treasury Department to look at forgiving the deferred taxes.

Pelosi referred to the executive action as unconstitutional and argued that the payroll tax cut will harm Social Security and Medicare.

While he says he's going to do the payroll tax, what he's doing is undermining Social Security and Medicare, so these are illusions," Pelosi said on Sunday.

In 2010, Obama signed a payroll tax reduction, and Congress extended the cut in 2011 and 2012. Pelosi supported the payroll tax cut at the time.

"Today is a victory for all Americans — for the security of our middle class, for the health of our seniors, and for economic growth and job creation. The American people spoke out clearly and, thanks to President Obama's leadership, 160 million Americans will continue to receive their payroll tax cut," Pelosi said in a statement in 2011.

In 2012, Pelosi applauded the extension of Obama's payroll tax cut as "a temporary measure to help give us a boost."

"This is necessary because our economy and our people need this boost," she said in an interview with PBS.

https://justthenews.com/government/congress/pelosi-favored-payroll-tax-cut-under-obama-victory-all-a...

Funny how when your party makes a policy decision it's all for the best of the country, but when your political opponent makes the same decision it's a disaster for the country.

What do they call that?????

Hypocrisy????????

Honored Social Butterfly

AzrRancher--good post---The Dems wanted the same cuts when they were in power.----The Dems hate it  when you post their history on SS and Medicare-- Here is a repeat what Biden wanted a few years ago-Joe Biden Has Advocated Cutting Social Security for 40 Years

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

AzrRancher--good post---The Dems wanted the same cuts when they were in power.----The Dems hate it  when you post their history on SS and Medicare--

Absurd .... The Democrats created Social Security and Medicare. Republicans have a history of wanting to kill both programs!!!

Here is a repeat what Biden wanted a few years ago-Joe Biden Has Advocated Cutting Social Security for 40 Years

From a highly biased right wing extremist podcast ...

I.E.: No credibility!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png