Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Reply
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
259
Views

Re: So, why is auto insurance mandatory?

259 Views
Message 31 of 46

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

I think you are catching on.  Auto insurance is linked to driving - no driving means you don't NEED to buy insurance.  Obamacare is REQUIRED by all.  There is no link and punitive measures get tougher each year you fail to purchase insurance.  It was a plan that was doomed from the getgo.


Hmm perhaps taxes would be a better parallel.  You must pay your taxes for the common good. You must prove you can pay for your own healthcare for the common good.  I like that too. 

 

The ACA was only doomed because Republicans fought so hard to keep healthcare out of the hands of the middle class. 

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
259
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
254
Views

Re: So, why is auto insurance mandatory?

254 Views
Message 32 of 46

@Richva wrote:

I am still not sure I understand the argument.  If it is that you can opt out of mandatory auto insurance (except New Hampshire) by not driving, I guess that is true.

 

Certainly these two items are similar but not exact. I have NEVER seen this kind of push back on requiring auto insurance in order to get a driver's license.

 

It is relatively certain that all of us will need health care. The current system requires all of us to have it. The Republican system will let you pay a penalty and opt in only when you need it.


I think you are catching on.  Auto insurance is linked to driving - no driving means you don't NEED to buy insurance.  Obamacare is REQUIRED by all.  There is no link and punitive measures get tougher each year you fail to purchase insurance.  It was a plan that was doomed from the getgo.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
254
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
253
Views

Re: So, why is auto insurance mandatory?

253 Views
Message 33 of 46

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:



It's NOT mandatory!  If you want to drive legally in your state, you must have insurance.  The healthcare law had no such provision yet the left tries unsuccessfully to compare apples and oranges.


  • If you want to drive in your state, you must have auto insurance.
  • The ACA requires that you must have health insurance.

1. You refer to "It is NOT mandatory" but I am not sure if you are referring to auto or health insurance.

2. How are they apples and oranges?


Healthcare insurance (Obamacare) is mandatory, no ifs ands, or buts!  You can opt out of mandatory car insurance by NOT DRIVING.  You just don't have that option with the left's version of healthcare!  You CAN'T opt out.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
253
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
266
Views

Re: So, why is auto insurance mandatory?

266 Views
Message 34 of 46

   WOW, Donald supporters must be on some weird med if they believe that Ryan / Trumpcare will not eliminate healthcare insurance for many individuals.  

 

    Avrik Roy, a RW Conservative wrote an article for Forbes yesterday:   He chose these words for the title:  

GOP's Obamacare Replacement Will Make Coverage Unaffordable For Millions -- Otherwise, It's Great

 

   That’s not an ironic headline. Leading House Republicans have included a number of transformative and consequential reforms in their American Health Care Act, the full text of which was published Monday evening. But those reforms are overshadowed by the bill’s stubborn desire to make health insurance unaffordable for millions of Americans, and trap millions more in poverty

 

     Apparently some of Donald Supporters  are as mendacious as their candidate. 

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
266
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
284
Views

Re: So, why is auto insurance mandatory?

284 Views
Message 35 of 46

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Healthcare is very different from auto insurance because every American is already in the healthcare system from the day they're born. If an uninsured person has a health emergency, such as a gall bladder attack, appendicitis, etc. they will get proper treatment in the emergency room and the taxpayers will foot the bill. 

 

Republicans always claim they are in favor of accountability and responsibility, but that's not true. What Obamacare mandates is the following. If you can afford health insurance and don't purchase it, you must pay a fine. Doesn't that sound reasonable to most people? It sure beats paying for that irresponsible person's emergency room surgery because they refused to purchase health insurance.


Other issues here are that not getting regular healthcare increases the severity of the problem.  it also puts the patient into the most expensive ways of providing healthcare.  

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
284
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
287
Views

So, why is auto insurance mandatory?

287 Views
Message 36 of 46

Healthcare is very different from auto insurance because every American is already in the healthcare system from the day they're born. If an uninsured person has a health emergency, such as a gall bladder attack, appendicitis, etc. they will get proper treatment in the emergency room and the taxpayers will foot the bill. 

 

Republicans always claim they are in favor of accountability and responsibility, but that's not true. What Obamacare mandates is the following. If you can afford health insurance and don't purchase it, you must pay a fine. Doesn't that sound reasonable to most people? It sure beats paying for that irresponsible person's emergency room surgery because they refused to purchase health insurance.

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
287
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
288
Views

Re: So, why is auto insurance mandatory?

288 Views
Message 37 of 46

I am still not sure I understand the argument.  If it is that you can opt out of mandatory auto insurance (except New Hampshire) by not driving, I guess that is true.

 

Certainly these two items are similar but not exact. I have NEVER seen this kind of push back on requiring auto insurance in order to get a driver's license.

 

It is relatively certain that all of us will need health care. The current system requires all of us to have it. The Republican system will let you pay a penalty and opt in only when you need it.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
288
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
294
Views

Re: So, why is auto insurance mandatory?

294 Views
Message 38 of 46

NOTHAPPPENING has a valid point and it isn't about the topic.  Health Insurance and auto insurance are not the same things although each, in the end, has a great deal to do with accepting personal responsibility....not just for what you do or don't do personally, but for the actions or inactions of he society in which you live...... and without which you simply would not. 

 

 To be specific, for those with that kind of hang-up, auto insurance is a condition attached to being 'allowed' to drive.  You may do 'harm' to others as a consequence.  That 'harm' is not of their making. 

 

People are irresponsible when it comes to such things. So... the government you elected mandates you be 'insured' before being legally allowed to drive on public roads.  In some states, proof of financial responsibility is accepted as an alternative.

 

Mandatory Health Care Insurance and Mandatory Auto Insurance are similar, but different.  This discussion indicates we really do need to get down to the basic concept[s] and agree....before descending into the deep, dark, detail dungeon

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
294
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
293
Views

Re: So, why is auto insurance mandatory?

293 Views
Message 39 of 46

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I am reading about the Republican attempt to remove health insurance from as many poor people as possible.  

If you truly are "reading that" then you are not reading factual material - you are reading leftwing propaganda.

 

Even I believe I would take the chance and pay the 30% surcharge if I had to get insurance. Assuming I was young and healthy, of course. 

 

Still, the big argument against Obamacare was the requirement to have health insurance. So, would conservatives suggest we make auto insurance optional?

This Conservative would not. People have a choice as to whether to drive on the public roads or not. They do not have a choice as to whether or not get sick, fall down, get shot, whatever.

 

However, the individual mandate was probably the only major part of Obamacare that I agreed with. If we are going to illegalize denial based on previous condition, we have to deal with the "I'll get insurance when I get sick or have the accident" concept.


 


Wrong - New Hampshire Drivers are not required to have any kind of Vehicle Insurance to register their vehicle and drive on any roads anywhere in the State

 

New Hampshire Drivers are also the only Drivers in the Country where wearing a seat belt is not mandatory

 

However, unless a person pays cash for a vehicle Even the Person who purchases a brand new car - never registers it with any state - puts it in a garage and throws the keys away - has to have Comprehensive Fire & Theft Insurance and that mandate is from the Lender

 

Not To Worry Though

 

As soon as Trumpcare gets passed - all the working poor and most elderly on a fixed income will be required by their Lenders to have some kind of Health Insurance becuase anyone with any serious illness will require a financial loan to pay for their treatment

 

This Conservative would not. People have a choice as to whether to drive on the public roads or not. They do not have a choice as to whether or not get sick, fall down, get shot, whatever.

 

Interesting to note that - getting shot - getting sick and even falling down are three things where Conservatives support eliminating laws that will dramatically increase the chances a US Citizen will fall victim too at least one or more over their lifetime

 

1. Trumps Plan to Make sure their are no minimum requirements to purchase and own guns and by all means as demostratred by Trump Executive Order last week - allow another 75,000  Mentally ill to now obtain Assault Weapons

 

2.  Trumps Plan to Get rid of Obamacare and it's mandate that insurers cover preventative health - so everyone can increase their chance of getting everything from the Flu to Serious Life Threatening Illnesses

 

3. Trumps Plan to dismantle OSHA and lift all those other Punitive Laws that will  “save small businesses from the crushing burdens of unnecessary regulations that are stunting job growth and suppressing wages.”

 

 

 

 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
293
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
294
Views

Re: So, why is auto insurance mandatory?

294 Views
Message 40 of 46

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:



It's NOT mandatory!  If you want to drive legally in your state, you must have insurance.  The healthcare law had no such provision yet the left tries unsuccessfully to compare apples and oranges.


  • If you want to drive in your state, you must have auto insurance.
  • The ACA requires that you must have health insurance.

1. You refer to "It is NOT mandatory" but I am not sure if you are referring to auto or health insurance.

2. How are they apples and oranges?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
294
Views