From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: So, why is auto insurance mandatory?

Message 21 of 46

SP362 wrote--You are correct with the fact that you can avoid auto insurance by simply not driving.  As some else pointed out, the whole purpose of auto insurance is so that you can pay for damages that you cause to others (this is why comprehensive and collision are not part of the required insurance you need to carry).  So for healthcare, does that mean that if somebody is uninsured they should get treated for free (the hospital can bill them, but if they can't pay it, they can't pay it, so the cost ultimately gets passed on), or should they simply be allowed to die.  Neither situation sounds ideal to me.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------This is what we had before Obamacare and it worked pretty good and at a much lower cost to everyone. Signs at my hospital used to read -no person shall be refused medical service regardless of their ability to pay. No doubt  every paying  patient`s bill was a little higher but not to the extreme they are today.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 46

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:
Health insurance is as much linked to being an American as life insurance.  As anyone can see, there is no linkage at all.  Liberals love mandating everything and love totalitarian governments.

I suppose it depends on your definition of linked.  

We are the only country in the world who used employer sponsored healthcare. We are the only major power not to guarantee its citizens access to healthcare. 

However, if you mean this as something every American will one day use, then we are intimately linked to it. If people do not pay for their own healthcare through insurance, are you proposing universal government paid healthcare?  I can back that. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 46

@mickstuder wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I am reading about the Republican attempt to remove health insurance from as many poor people as possible.  

If you truly are "reading that" then you are not reading factual material - you are reading leftwing propaganda.

Even I believe I would take the chance and pay the 30% surcharge if I had to get insurance. Assuming I was young and healthy, of course. 

Still, the big argument against Obamacare was the requirement to have health insurance. So, would conservatives suggest we make auto insurance optional?

This Conservative would not. People have a choice as to whether to drive on the public roads or not. They do not have a choice as to whether or not get sick, fall down, get shot, whatever.

However, the individual mandate was probably the only major part of Obamacare that I agreed with. If we are going to illegalize denial based on previous condition, we have to deal with the "I'll get insurance when I get sick or have the accident" concept.

Wrong - New Hampshire Drivers are not required to have any kind of Vehicle Insurance to register their vehicle and drive on any roads anywhere in the State

New Hampshire Drivers are also the only Drivers in the Country where wearing a seat belt is not mandatory

However, unless a person pays cash for a vehicle Even the Person who purchases a brand new car - never registers it with any state - puts it in a garage and throws the keys away - has to have Comprehensive Fire & Theft Insurance and that mandate is from the Lender

Not To Worry Though

As soon as Trumpcare gets passed - all the working poor and most elderly on a fixed income will be required by their Lenders to have some kind of Health Insurance becuase anyone with any serious illness will require a financial loan to pay for their treatment

This Conservative would not. People have a choice as to whether to drive on the public roads or not. They do not have a choice as to whether or not get sick, fall down, get shot, whatever.

Interesting to note that - getting shot - getting sick and even falling down are three things where Conservatives support eliminating laws that will dramatically increase the chances a US Citizen will fall victim too at least one or more over their lifetime

1. Trumps Plan to Make sure their are no minimum requirements to purchase and own guns and by all means as demostratred by Trump Executive Order last week - allow another 75,000  Mentally ill to now obtain Assault Weapons

2.  Trumps Plan to Get rid of Obamacare and it's mandate that insurers cover preventative health - so everyone can increase their chance of getting everything from the Flu to Serious Life Threatening Illnesses

3. Trumps Plan to dismantle OSHA and lift all those other Punitive Laws that will  “save small businesses from the crushing burdens of unnecessary regulations that are stunting job growth and suppressing wages.”

O.K. - NH is oddball. But surely you are not saying that the principles stated are not appropriate.

No, Conservatives (at least this Conservative) does not support getting shot, getting sick, or falling down.

Your Trump assumptions do not connect. a) Guns - restricting the rights of Americans is not the answer. Dealing with the criminals is. b) Dumping socialized medicine is not going to make anyone sick. And since we don't have a replacement in place yet, that is a presumptive statement for you to make. c) OSHA prevents people from falling down??? You may be pushing some strange theories there. BTW are you in favor of "....crushing burdens of unnecessary regulations that are stunting job growth and suppressing wages"?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 46

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

I think you are catching on.  Auto insurance is linked to driving - no driving means you don't NEED to buy insurance.  Health insurance is linked to being an American - move out of the country means you don't NEED to buy insurance or pay the fee.

Health insurance is as much linked to being an American as life insurance.  As anyone can see, there is no linkage at all.  Liberals love mandating everything and love totalitarian governments.  So that's why Reagan mandated wearing seat belts. That explains everything.  Thanks, NOT!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 46

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

I think you are catching on.  Auto insurance is linked to driving - no driving means you don't NEED to buy insurance.  Health insurance is linked to being an American - move out of the country means you don't NEED to buy insurance or pay the fee.

Health insurance is as much linked to being an American as life insurance.  As anyone can see, there is no linkage at all.  Liberals love mandating everything and love totalitarian governments.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 46

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 46

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

It's NOT mandatory!  If you want to drive legally in your state, you must have insurance.  The healthcare law had no such provision yet the left tries unsuccessfully to compare apples and oranges.

• If you want to drive in your state, you must have auto insurance.
  • The ACA requires that you must have health insurance.

1. You refer to "It is NOT mandatory" but I am not sure if you are referring to auto or health insurance.

2. How are they apples and oranges?

Healthcare insurance (Obamacare) is mandatory, no ifs ands, or buts!  You can opt out of mandatory car insurance by NOT DRIVING.  You just don't have that option with the left's version of healthcare!  You CAN'T opt out.

Yes you can, you just pay a small fee.  And you can opt out be moving out of the country.  Right up there with the logic that suggests NOT driving.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 46

Nothappening

You are correct with the fact that you can avoid auto insurance by simply not driving.  As some else pointed out, the whole purpose of auto insurance is so that you can pay for damages that you cause to others (this is why comprehensive and collision are not part of the required insurance you need to carry).  So for healthcare, does that mean that if somebody is uninsured they should get treated for free (the hospital can bill them, but if they can't pay it, they can't pay it, so the cost ultimately gets passed on), or should they simply be allowed to die.  Neither situation sounds ideal to me.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 46

Richva,

Personally, I do not like most of what is in this legislation - I would have opted for something a lot more severe - like changing our whole health insurance system, i.e. putting most everybody into the individual marketplace and getting rid of employer based coverage, including government employees and active military .

However, to comment on your subject -

The individual mandate was not working for a lot of reasons

1.  The tax penalty was not enough to be punitive compared to the cost of health insurance.

2.  Lots of people got out of paying the tax penalty (individual responsibility payment) because there were lots of exceptions and even then, there were ways to get around it.  The IRS was always playing catch up.

3.  A lot of people got around  the insurance penalty by keeping it for a few months, then dropping it.  (9) months on and (3) months off - That was the reason for the last CMS rule requiring people to catch up on their premiums before they re-upped for the next period.  The insurers were losing these premiums, if they got care during this 2nd 30-days, the providers were also losing money.

4.  The ACA was negligent in making people prove their reasoning when buying health insurance outside of open enrollment - so in essense, many were only buying it when they needed it.

By going to a period-specific punitive penalty, like establishing a premium surcharge for not staying constantly enrolled, within a certain time limit, the legislation is trying to encourange people to get enrolled and stay enrolled - which is and has been the goal.

As to your linkage to auto insurance - they are both insurance, just like home insurance or even workmans comp., but the (use) risk management has been thrown out the window with health insurance. 

However, a question -

Don't you think we should do everything possible to get those "young and healthy" to enroll in health care coverage and stay enroll in order to bring a much better rate for everybody ? 

If we work down the premiums by having a good mix of healthy/unhealthy then we can start to work down the actual cost of medical care. 

Those rules which CMS recently established regarding the marketplace and this current legislation are both an attempt at stabilizing this marketplace - actually to preserve it.  If it gets much worse, there might not be an insurer available in many areas to provide the coverage regardless of the plan or how premiums are paid.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 46

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

I think you are catching on.  Auto insurance is linked to driving - no driving means you don't NEED to buy insurance.  Obamacare is REQUIRED by all.  There is no link and punitive measures get tougher each year you fail to purchase insurance.  It was a plan that was doomed from the getgo.

Hmm perhaps taxes would be a better parallel.  You must pay your taxes for the common good. You must prove you can pay for your own healthcare for the common good.  I like that too. 

The ACA was only doomed because Republicans fought so hard to keep healthcare out of the hands of the middle class. 

I see you still don't get it.  Those with no income don't (have to) pay taxes.  Those that don't buy anything, don't pay sales taxes.  No one is FORCED with penalties to pay taxes except those tied to income or sales.

You have NO CHOICE with healthcare.  The strong arm of the liberal government sweeps you up if you don't buy Obamacare.  There IS NO ESACPE!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors