Honored Social Butterfly

So That Happened

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n7wn7m/welp-trumps-own-former-defense-secretary-just-compared-him... 

Welp Trump’s Own Former Defense Secretary Just Compared Him to the Nazis So That Happened

James “Mad Dog” Mattis just slammed the president as a threat to America’s Constitution.

WASHINGTON — It’s not every day that a sitting president gets compared to the Nazis — by his own former Secretary of Defense.

But here we are.

President Trump’s first defense chief, James “Mad Dog” Mattis, dropped a thousand pound hammer on Trump in a short essay in The Atlantic on Wednesday evening, breaking his silence by slamming Trump as a threat to America’s Constitution. Mattis pointedly noted, in two adjacent paragraphs, that Nazis tried to divide Americans during World War 2 — and that Trump is trying to divide Americans now.

Mattis on Nazis: “The Nazi slogan for destroying us…was ‘Divide and Conquer.’ Our American answer is ‘In Union there is Strength.’”

Mattis on Trump: “Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us.”

The essay represents a stunning reemergence by Mattis, who has held a notable silence about Trump since departing from his cabinet position over a year ago. Mattis resigned over Trump’s abrupt decision to withdraw troops from Syria. But before his departure date, Trump fired him.

Mattis had more to say, too, than just bringing up the Nazis, including that U.S. troops shouldn’t be used for “bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.”

READ: Trump’s secretary of defense just trashed the president’s plan to use the military against Americans...

That remark was a reference to Trump’s march across the front lawn of the White House on Monday to a church that had been partially burned by demonstrators, after protesters there were violently dispersed by security personnel.

The broadside against Trump comes as the president is openly considering using the 1807 Insurrection Act to deploy U.S. combat soldiers to American cities to quash the unrest and looting that has accompanied protests against police brutality.

Read the rest of Mattis’ remarkable take-down of his former boss right here.

Honored Social Butterfly

ToadPOTUS knew of the disaster coming our way back in November 2019, BUT since he had destroyed the emergency pandemic response teams President Obama had established in CDC and NSA, removed all CDC monitors President Obama had stationed in China, sent 14 TONS of vital medical supplies to China, halted funding to expand the National Strategic Medical Stockpile Obama had created and, 18 months ago, cancelled the contract that maintained the stockpile in ready to use condition he turned what had been a well prepared Nation into a cesspool of disease in order to try and keep the DJA high.

Then we have the rest of the Republican Party who subsidized the move of our ability to manufacture PPE to China, leaving us at the mercy of foreign Governments for the material needed to protect our frontline workers battling the disease. Those same GOPers facilitated Toad's gutting of the CDC and are now working to abolish the Post Office so nobody can vote by mail!

Honored Social Butterfly

Technically, Barack Obama did not fire James Mattis. Instead, Mattis is reported to have retired from the role of Commander of the United States Central Command in March 2013.

In his memoirs, Leon Panetta, Obama’s defence secretary between 2011 and 2013, states that Mattis and the Obama administration didn’t always see eye-to-eye, especially when it came to Mattis wanting to increase the US presence in Syria.

So while there may have been some tension, officially Mattis did retire, only to be brought out of his retirement by Trump.

Honored Social Butterfly

"I am told that General Mattis was travelling and in a meeting when an aide passed him a note telling him that the Pentagon had announced his replacement as head of Central Command. It was news to him -- he hadn't received a phone call or a heads-up from anyone at the Pentagon or the White House," Thomas E. Ricks reports.
In another post, Ricks says Mattis was fired because:

Pentagon insiders say that he rubbed civilian officials the wrong way -- not because he went all "mad dog," which is his public image, and the view at the White House, but rather because he pushed the civilians so hard on considering the second- and third-order consequences of military action against Iran. Some of those questions apparently were uncomfortable. Like, what do you do with Iran once the nuclear issue is resolved and it remains a foe? What do you do if Iran then develops conventional capabilities that could make it hazardous for U.S. Navy ships to operate in the Persian Gulf? He kept saying, "And then what?"

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/weekly-standard/obama-fires-top-general-without-even-a-phone-call

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Odd that the Examiner did not quote a source for its claim of a late night phone call between Obama and Mattis. 

Technically, Barack Obama did not fire James Mattis.

Instead, Mattis is reported to have retired from the role of Commander of the United States Central Command in March 2013.

In his memoirs, Leon Panetta – Obama’s defence secretary between 2011 and 2013 – states that Mattis and the Obama administration didn’t always see eye-to-eye, especially when it came to Mattis wanting to increase the US presence in Syria.

So while there may have been some tension, officially Mattis did retire, only to be brought out of his retirement by Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/trump-fact-checker-book/2020/06/01/c6323b88-a435-11ea-b619-3f... 

Honored Social Butterfly

I didn't see anyone demonize Mattis. The one thing everybody agreed about him, he placed duty to our Constitution and country ahead of everything else. The only criticism I heard was his failure to speak out until now.

Honored Social Butterfly

I didn't either. But as Ceetee so eloguently pointed out, you gotta admire a man that puts country ahead of party!
Honored Social Butterfly

So the Trump haters demonized Mattis when he was with Trump . Now he is their hero.  Hmmm? That says a lot. The old phrase -" Mad Dog and Englishmen ,go out in the noon day sun." seems to apply here.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

So the Trump haters demonized Mattis when he was with Trump . Now he is their hero.  Hmmm? That says a lot. The old phrase -" Mad Dog and Englishmen ,go out in the noon day sun." seems to apply here.

Absolutely incorrect.  I didn't demonized Him when he was with the Trump team, because I couldn't figure out as to how a decent military man could actually be in the company of such a man.
When he left. I criticized him to no end. because I felt that he never had the guts and the moral responsibility to speak out and tell the American people what we should all know. and to set the example of speaking out loud. and hiding behind his so called military ideas of not criticizing a sitting President, He has never been my hero, and just because he got the stones now to say something that doesn't repair the damage I think he is guilty of.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

Actually, Trump's hypocrisy DOES apply here.

Trump praised Mattis up and down when he wanted him approved for Secretary of Defense.

But now that Mattis found his conscience and realized that he was conned by Trump, Trump attacks Mattis up and down.

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

Trump praised Mattis up and down when he wanted him approved for Secretary of Defense.

So why did both Obama and Trump fire Mattis?

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Trump DIDN'T fire Mattis....he resigned because trump is a MORON!!!!  But thanks for asking....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

Nonhappening posted-So why did both Obama and Trump fire Mattis? Good point-One time Trump should have listen to Obama.Valuable lesson Trump learn with many of his picks. Don`t trust misplaced loyality.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

easyed598>> Nonhappening posted-So why did both Obama and Trump fire Mattis? Good point-One time Trump should have listen to Obama.Valuable lesson Trump learn with many of his picks. Don`t trust misplaced loyality.

One of the joys of actually researching the facts before posting is that you find out the truth and it never makes you look bad.  Neither Trump NOR Obama fired Mattis. Mattis resigned as defense secretary in protest over Trump’s decision to pull U.S. troops from Syria, giving two months' notice. Then Trump decided to replace him earlier because of the embarrassment. 

The retired four-star Marine general announced on Dec. 20, 2018, that he would step down in February 2019. “General Jim Mattis will be retiring, with distinction,” Trump tweeted then, praising him as a “great help” in getting allies to put up more money for their military obligations. “I greatly thank Jim for his service!”

But the matter didn’t sit well with Trump and three days later he abruptly said he was bringing in a replacement Jan. 1, 2019, not waiting until the next month.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/06/04/us/politics/ap-us-trump-mattis-fact-check.html?searchRes... 

Honored Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

Nonhappening posted-So why did both Obama and Trump fire Mattis? Good point-

No ..... an "erroneous point" as neither "fired" Mattis!

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

They didn't ...... Mattis retired under President Obama's administration and resigned under Trump's administration.

In any case .... your question does NOTHING to change the fact that Trump praised Mattis up and down when he wanted him approved for Secretary of Defense.

But now that Mattis found his conscience and realized that he was conned by Trump, Trump attacks Mattis up and down.

Your erroneous question only serves as an evasion to that fact!

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

They didn't ...... Mattis retired under President Obama's administration and resigned under Trump's administration.

In any case .... your question does NOTHING to change the fact that Trump praised Mattis up and down when he wanted him approved for Secretary of Defense.

Wrong again, as usual.

Obama Fires Top General Without Even a Phone Call

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/weekly-standard/obama-fires-top-general-without-even-a-phone-call

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

Wrong again, as usual.

As usual, a right wing biased source using nebulous qualifiers like "was told" and "it is a belief" .... no substantiation just more uncertainties!

Again .... I'll stay with non biased sources that write with certainty and not contrived conjecture!

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Wrong again, as usual.

Sorry, NOTHAPPENING, I, like many adults, don't use biased "news" sources.  I encourage you NOT to as well...

right041.png

MBFCMixed.png

RIGHT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

• Overall, we rate the Washington Examiner Right Biased based on editorial positions that almost exclusively favor the right and Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks.

Detailed Report

Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180

History

Founded in 2005, The Washington Examiner is an American political journalism website and weekly magazine based in Washington, D.C. that covers politics and policy in the United States and internationally. The current editor is Hugo Gordon. 

Funded by / Ownership

The Washington Examiner is owned by Clarity Media Group, which is in turn owned by Philip Anschutz, who is an American billionaire entrepreneur who describes himself as a “conservative Christian.” Anschutz is also the owner of the right leaning Weekly Standard and has donated millions of dollars to right leaning causes, including anti-LGBT groups, such as the Family Research Council, which has been labeled a hate group. The Washington Examiner is funded through an advertising and subscription model.

Analysis / Bias

In review, the format and content of the Washington Examiner has been compared to The Hill, albeit with a right leaning tilt. They generally report political news as well as local Washington DC news stories. The Washington Examiner frequently utilizes loaded wording in sensationalized headlines such as: Trump’s manic Monday amid the Kavanaugh storm. While the headlines may be sensational, the content of articles are written with less bias and tend to be properly sourced to credible media outlets. Editorially, the Washington Examiner is 100% right. It is virtually impossible to find a single editorial that offers some form of balance. Most editorials have anti-left loaded headlines such as this: Obama, the Great Divider when in office, lacks the credibility to lecture America.

A factual search reveals several failed fact checks by IFCN fact checkers.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Muexper-They didn't ...... Mattis retired under President Obama's administration and resigned under Trump's administration.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Oh my -another false statement-

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

Muexper-They didn't ...... Mattis retired under President Obama's administration and resigned under Trump's administration.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Oh my -another false statement-

Another article from a highly biased right wing conservative publication .... laced with gross uncertainty by using nebulous qualifiers such as "I am told that" or " it is a belief" .....

Naw .... I'll stay with what non biased sources say ..... as we ALL should!

Honored Social Butterfly

My exper posted-Another article from a highly biased right wing conservative publication .... laced with gross uncertainty by using nebulous qualifiers such as "I am told that" or " it is a belief" .....

Naw .... I'll stay with what non biased sources say ..... as we ALL should!------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Mattis is an old-school warrior known for his colorful rhetoric and his commitment both to his men and to his mission.  He, along with other generals like David Petraeus and Stanley McChrystal, did have a problem with Obama's quest for a substitute for victory in Iraq and Afghanistan.

As the New York Post reported:

Officially, the Obama administration offers a nothing-to-see-here explanation for Mattis' departure, noting that his tenure in the crucial job was about average for the post.  Maybe.  But politics is at play here as well.  The brusque Mattis apparently fell afoul of National Security Adviser Tom Donilon, an Obama apparatchik.  Why?  Because Mattis says things the Obama team doesn't want to hear, especially about what might well become the next theater of operations – Iran.

Okay, maybe Mattis was saying things Trump didn't want to hear about tactics and strategies, but we have only one commander-in-chief at a time, and the one we have now is trying to rebuild the military, so we can win wars, not letting the military atrophy while generals who want to win are purged.

We have not only ISIS jihadis to worry about.  We have the Iranian nuclear threat, an expansionist China with sub-launched nuclear missiles capable of hitting U.S. cities, and a belligerent Russia developing hypersonic missiles we might not be able to stop as it negotiates with a crumbling Venezuela to base its nuclear-capable bombers on an island not far from Caracas.

So chill out, Chicken Littles of the left and right.  There is an adult in the room.  His name is Donald J. Trump.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

My exper posted-Another article from a highly biased right wing conservative publication .... laced with gross uncertainty by using nebulous qualifiers such as "I am told that" or " it is a belief" .....

Naw .... I'll stay with what non biased sources say ..... as we ALL should!------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Mattis is an old-school warrior known for his colorful rhetoric and his commitment both to his men and to his mission.  He, along with other generals like David Petraeus and Stanley McChrystal, did have a problem with Obama's quest for a substitute for victory in Iraq and Afghanistan.

As the New York Post reported:

Officially, the Obama administration offers a nothing-to-see-here explanation for Mattis' departure, noting that his tenure in the crucial job was about average for the post.  Maybe.  But politics is at play here as well.  The brusque Mattis apparently fell afoul of National Security Adviser Tom Donilon, an Obama apparatchik.  Why?  Because Mattis says things the Obama team doesn't want to hear, especially about what might well become the next theater of operations – Iran.

Okay, maybe Mattis was saying things Trump didn't want to hear about tactics and strategies, but we have only one commander-in-chief at a time, and the one we have now is trying to rebuild the military, so we can win wars, not letting the military atrophy while generals who want to win are purged.

We have not only ISIS jihadis to worry about.  We have the Iranian nuclear threat, an expansionist China with sub-launched nuclear missiles capable of hitting U.S. cities, and a belligerent Russia developing hypersonic missiles we might not be able to stop as it negotiates with a crumbling Venezuela to base its nuclear-capable bombers on an island not far from Caracas.

So chill out, Chicken Littles of the left and right.  There is an adult in the room.  His name is Donald J. Trump.

A colossal evasion from the fact that Mattis retired under President Obama's administration and resigned under Trump's administration.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

My exper posted-A colossal evasion from the fact that Mattis retired under President Obama's administration and resigned under Trump's administration.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Obama -Hey Mad Dog ,don`t bother coming in today ,someone else is sitting at your desk. Nope ,not even this happen and it has been reported that an aid told him he was replaced while he was traveling for the government.

Honored Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

My exper posted-A colossal evasion from the fact that Mattis retired under President Obama's administration and resigned under Trump's administration.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Obama -Hey Mad Dog ,don`t bother coming in today ,someone else is sitting at your desk.

President Obama never said that .... further diminishing your credibility!

Nope ,not even this happen and it has been reported that an aid told him he was replaced while he was traveling for the government.

"it has been reported" ....by who?

More heresay  .... more nebulous qualifiers .... no substantiation!

NOTHING to indicate any credibility!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

How? How does that saying apply here? Do you know where the saying comes from? No, you don't. Do you know what the phrase ridicules? No, you don't. How do I know you don't? Because the saying in no way applies to the rest of your post.

Mad Dogs And Englishmen   

Noel Coward

In tropical climes there are certain times of day
When all the citizens retire to tear their clothes off and perspire.
It's one of the rules that the greatest fools obey,
Because the sun is much too sultry
And one must avoid its ultry-violet ray.
The natives grieve when the white men leave their huts,
Because they're obviously, definitely nuts!

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun,
The Japanese don´t care to, the Chinese wouldn´t dare to,
Hindus and Argentines sleep firmly from twelve to one
But Englishmen detest-a siesta.
In the Philippines they have lovely screens to protect you from the glare.
In the Malay States, there are hats like plates which the Britishers won't wear.
At twelve noon the natives swoon and no further work is done,

But mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

It's such a surprise for the Eastern eyes to see,
that though the English are effete, they're quite impervious to heat,
When the white man rides every native hides in glee,
Because the simple creatures hope he will impale his solar topee on a tree.
It seems such a shame when the English claim the earth,
They give rise to such hilarity and mirth.
Ha ha ha ha hoo hoo hoo hoo hee hee hee hee ....

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
The toughest Burmese bandit can never understand it.
In Rangoon the heat of noon is just what the natives shun,
They put their Scotch or Rye down, and lie down.
In a jungle town where the sun beats down to the rage of man and beast
The English garb of the English sahib merely gets a bit more creased.
In Bangkok at twelve o'clock they foam at the mouth and run,

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
The smallest Malay rabbit deplores this foolish habit.
In Hong Kong they strike a gong and fire off a noonday gun,
To reprimand each inmate who's in late.
In the mangrove swamps where the python romps
there is peace from twelve till two.
Even caribous lie around and snooze, for there's nothing else to do.
In Bengal to move at all is seldom ever done,

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

LOU POSTED-How? How does that saying apply here? Do you know where the saying comes from? No, you don't. Do you know what the phrase ridicules? No, you don't. How do I know you don't? Because the saying in no way applies to the rest of your post.

Mad Dogs And Englishmen   

Noel Coward---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks for the poetic lesson of the day. I actually knew that but after 50 years I forgot the author. Also ,Living in England for 3 years  I often used that phrase on my daft  English friends. However my analogy still seems appropriate when it comes to mad Dog Mattis.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

So the Trump haters demonized Mattis when he was with Trump . Now he is their hero.  Hmmm? That says a lot.

What say's a LOT are trump supporters making up historical events and falsely claim Mattis was demonized....Is that another Faux News narrative?

Honored Social Butterfly

-

@easyed598 wrote:

So the Trump haters demonized Mattis when he was with Trump . Now he is their hero.  Hmmm? That says a lot.

What say's a LOT are trump supporters making up historical events and falsely claim Mattis was demonized....Is that another Faux News narrative?-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Many links found from 2016 again proved you wrong.---Democrats have no good outcomes if they try to oppose Mattis for Defense Secretary

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@easyed598 wrote:

Many links found from 2016 again proved you wrong.

Your ONE link, proved YOU wrong.....bawahahaha....

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png