Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: So, Jeff Sessions is heating up the war on pot eh?

Message 1 of 35

@MaVolta

@GailL1

Gail, 

Do you believe that healthcare should return to the free market system?

If the medicinal use of pot has not been determined, why has our government not supported research to determine it is or it isn’t?

Is it real or not

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 35

@GailL1 wrote:

@MaVolta wrote:

Oh please, this is nonsense. Cigarrettes are also a personal choice, but you can't just smoke them anywhere. They are banned in public places and spaces in most of the country, you know that. Of course if pot were legalized for recreational use there would be laws to regulate it's use the same as alcohol or tobacco. 

As for medicinal marijuana, that is a separate matter altogether. It would indeed require regulation to meet certain standards and approval for medical use. No one would argue that. But then, what is the real demand for medicinal marijuana? Is there a market? If there is, then someone/some entity will fill that void. Or if people who want it can get the recreational grade (and I suspect there would be a grade involved), would the demand for the medical grade go away? 

Now I don't expect that there's going to be a huge voter turnout demanding the right to smoke pot, but it could happen over time. After all, voters have made it legal in 8 states + DC. And as you mentioned, there is money involved, lots of it. Yes they are becoming millionaires. And they will be the ones pushing (lobbying) to get the law changed, not your average Joe pot-head.

But that's my point, the way this was done, by state, there won't be any Federal help - there won't be an Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Marijuana Agency - the states have to do the relative enforcement all on their own.  Collect the taxes, confirm registration of merchants, check potency and safety, enforce illegal growing and distribution . . . . . . what will they do if someone wants to haul a bunch of it out of state?

Then you have all those associated laws which the Feds oversee and make the rules - like banking.

There are already 29 states that have medical marijuana laws on the books and more are on their way as well as states which are lining up for recreational use.

Newsweek/Yahoo - 01.02.2018 - Marijuana Legalization 2018: Which States Might Consider Cannabis Laws...

So yea, I see it coming down the pike -  we are just gonna vote this sucker into being - actually both ways - recreational and medically - at least until such time as they get around to proving it medically in its natural form.

That is a far cry from the way it was suppose to be done.

Do you think it would have been done this way except for the benefit of taxation by the various states?  That may not have been all of it being done this way - but IMO a big part of it.

It is not gonna happen over time - give it a couple of election periods - just enough time to get it on the ballot in those states really needing money.

But what is more interesting will be the next one that comes along -

Congress (whether it leans D or R at any given time) can step in and be a part of the solution at the federal level at any time, or they can continue to let the states run their course, and the states will do just that. Even the DOJ admits that they do no have the resources to mount much of an enforcement effort. They may take a run at somebody, somewhere, just to make a statement, but I wouldn't expect much more than that.

Congress will have to deal with this sooner or later. It would be far better if they would tackle it in a bipartisan manner, but they can't just let it ride. Then you will see the lobbyists enter the picture, and elections will be in play.

And you bet, sin taxes have a role in all of this. Presently, the Texas government is opposed to legalizing marijuana for any purpose. However, if more states continue to follow the other 8, and those states are making gains due to the tax benefits, one has to believe that even red-state Texas will sit up and take notice. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 35

@afisher wrote:

In case no one has stated the obvious, the Republicans are huge hypocrites.    There is a thread here about hating FED ( or so they try and sell the "report" by libertarians) and their attempt to try and make sense of their nonsense.   The statement was about reverting back to the Constitutional times when people had liberties...which included to do whatever they wanted as long it didn't impact others.    Notice how they have run away from this sort of topic - because they are prove once again that the Republican "plan" is absolute nonsense and illogical.   

au contraire.

There should be more not less of this voting out of regulation - we do it that way in our healthcare -

We want what we want when we want it - what better way than to take it out of the hands of science and put it in the hands of the voter.

I am sure that we can use this same principal of voting on the "we want what we want when we want it"

concept to solve many of our problems - there are a lot of "majorities" on this and that issue - Don't you see the polls on them all the time?

The problem is doing some of these things at the state level.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 35

@MaVolta wrote:

Oh please, this is nonsense. Cigarrettes are also a personal choice, but you can't just smoke them anywhere. They are banned in public places and spaces in most of the country, you know that. Of course if pot were legalized for recreational use there would be laws to regulate it's use the same as alcohol or tobacco. 

As for medicinal marijuana, that is a separate matter altogether. It would indeed require regulation to meet certain standards and approval for medical use. No one would argue that. But then, what is the real demand for medicinal marijuana? Is there a market? If there is, then someone/some entity will fill that void. Or if people who want it can get the recreational grade (and I suspect there would be a grade involved), would the demand for the medical grade go away? 

Now I don't expect that there's going to be a huge voter turnout demanding the right to smoke pot, but it could happen over time. After all, voters have made it legal in 8 states + DC. And as you mentioned, there is money involved, lots of it. Yes they are becoming millionaires. And they will be the ones pushing (lobbying) to get the law changed, not your average Joe pot-head.

But that's my point, the way this was done, by state, there won't be any Federal help - there won't be an Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Marijuana Agency - the states have to do the relative enforcement all on their own.  Collect the taxes, confirm registration of merchants, check potency and safety, enforce illegal growing and distribution . . . . . . what will they do if someone wants to haul a bunch of it out of state?

Then you have all those associated laws which the Feds oversee and make the rules - like banking.

There are already 29 states that have medical marijuana laws on the books and more are on their way as well as states which are lining up for recreational use.

Newsweek/Yahoo - 01.02.2018 - Marijuana Legalization 2018: Which States Might Consider Cannabis Laws...

So yea, I see it coming down the pike -  we are just gonna vote this sucker into being - actually both ways - recreational and medically - at least until such time as they get around to proving it medically in its natural form.

That is a far cry from the way it was suppose to be done.

Do you think it would have been done this way except for the benefit of taxation by the various states?  That may not have been all of it being done this way - but IMO a big part of it.

It is not gonna happen over time - give it a couple of election periods - just enough time to get it on the ballot in those states really needing money.

But what is more interesting will be the next one that comes along -

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 35

In case no one has stated the obvious, the Republicans are huge hypocrites.    There is a thread here about hating FED ( or so they try and sell the "report" by libertarians) and their attempt to try and make sense of their nonsense.   The statement was about reverting back to the Constitutional times when people had liberties...which included to do whatever they wanted as long it didn't impact others.    Notice how they have run away from this sort of topic - because they are prove once again that the Republican "plan" is absolute nonsense and illogical.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 35

@GailL1 wrote:

@MaVolta wrote:

There is a big difference in regulations that protect air quality, water quality, and the environment which affects everyone, as opposed to legalizing cannabis, which like alcohol, is a personal choice.

OK, why are cigarettes not illegal substances?

Why can't I grow a tobacco plant - they are actually quite pretty.

Like I said, it is not about  cannabis per se, it is about the way this has been done - can we vote out regulations?  Can we vote out just controlled substances?

We see what happened when people liked what opioids did inside their heads -

Oh, and cocaine, in many different forms and meth.

Do you call it being intoxicated - like alcohol?

Can you drive while stoned in states where it is legal?

Can you go to work stoned? 

Who can use it?  Age restriction - like alcohol -

Can an elderly person use it  - what about where they live - nursing home, ok?

Heck, states are even recommending medical use of it without proof of medical findings.

VA.gov - Marijuana Use and PTSD among Veterans

Gotta change that -

All I gotta say, is you better expand that "voting rights" to change regulations and approve something for medical use - cause I think it has lots of promise.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 35

@MaVolta wrote:

There is a big difference in regulations that protect air quality, water quality, and the environment which affects everyone, as opposed to legalizing cannabis, which like alcohol, is a personal choice.

OK, why are cigarettes not illegal substances?

Why can't I grow a tobacco plant - they are actually quite pretty.

Like I said, it is not about  cannabis per se, it is about the way this has been done - can we vote out regulations?  Can we vote out just controlled substances?

We see what happened when people liked what opioids did inside their heads -

Oh, and cocaine, in many different forms and meth.

Do you call it being intoxicated - like alcohol?

Can you drive while stoned in states where it is legal?

Can you go to work stoned? 

Who can use it?  Age restriction - like alcohol -

Can an elderly person use it  - what about where they live - nursing home, ok?

Heck, states are even recommending medical use of it without proof of medical findings.

VA.gov - Marijuana Use and PTSD among Veterans

Gotta change that -

All I gotta say, is you better expand that "voting rights" to change regulations and approve something for medical use - cause I think it has lots of promise.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 35

@williamb39198

Cocaine and Methamphetamine are both Schedule II drugs.

This would have been the classification, MJ would have been assigned if there had been approval for it for medical purposes. 

Schedule II

Schedule II drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with a high potential for abuse, with use potentially leading to severe psychological or physical dependence. These drugs are also considered dangerous. Some examples of Schedule II drugs are:

Combination products with less than 15 milligrams of hydrocodone per dosage unit (Vicodin), cocaine, methamphetamine, methadone, hydromorphone (Dilaudid), meperidine (Demerol), oxycodone (OxyContin), fentanyl, Dexedrine, Adderall, and Ritalin

Could we just vote in some of these too - I know people who would like that !  Woman Wink

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 35

@Richva

@GailL1

@MaVolta

Gail, it almost sounds like you would like for healthcare to return to the free market system with no federal oversight? Wasn’t that the reason that they developed the ACA healthcare? Because many people could not get access to healthcare because of costs and denials to coverage?

And as far as pot, how would it be determined to see if it has usefulness? Hasn’t the government always banned studies and testing for pot? Or did the pharmaceutical industry want those to be banned?

Think better, be better

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 35

@Richva wrote:

This particular government regulation seems to be very similar to banning alcohol sales.  MJ does not meet any of the criteria for a schedule one drug and the documented negative health effects are less than alcohol and certainly less than cigarettes. 

Add to that that 8 states and DC have legalized it, I would say this more like interference on the grounds of morality. 

If you can PROVE all of that based on the regulations of our government - do it.

If you can't do it, maybe the entity that told you about it can - or who told them.

So we vote on safety and in the case of medical use of the biologic, effectiveness - sounds fine to me.

Maybe it will be heroin next time - or peyote , YAH !  All those opioid users could just substitute heroin.

Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa ) is FAST coming on too -

WebMD:  (updated 10/12/2016) What Is Kratom? Why Has the DEA Wanted to Ban It? 

And all we got to do is overwelmingly vote by state -

Look, guys and gal, I have no problem with marijuana - none - I just see some hypocritical rationale going on here.  If you don't like what the Federal government says or does - change it with the process - somebody has got to have the data.   But if you just vote on changing it and let the process be ruled by the numbers, we may be setting a dangerous president here.

You have the states making lots of money on this product - money they all need.

You have the states regulating the product.  Who is determing the potency of the product(s)?

You have some millionaires/billionares being formed in the production of this product - don't let the hippie look fool you.

But all I really want to know is can you grown your own???  Have they limited or curtailed that benefit?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors