Honored Social Butterfly

Should we open all the schools?

I'm of the opinion... depending on location, that it's the individual states decision, however I'm all for opening schools back up.  

Looks like our public/private education model may have some long lasting changes. 

My kids are all adults and 3 of 4 had the "college" experience. I too did too, but I'm not sure young people want that as much.  

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

We are taking bets here whether St. Andrews opens out of pressure from the President's family, since that's where Barron Trump goes.  

Maryland's Board of Education has offered three models, and each county will decide which one fits its needs best.   Either one day a week in person, two days a week in person, or five days a week/every other week in person.  The rest will be distance learning. And they project this hybrid model will be needed at least until January. 

And it sucks on so many levels.    Kids who need special accommodations don't get them with distance learning. Teachers and counselors can't put eyes on kids who might be at higher risk of abuse at home.  We have had three suicides by students in the county since distance learning began in the spring.   There is a significant mental health component that should not be ignored. 

I think our jurisdiction did a fantastic job switching over to distance learning, ensuring that all kids had chrome books at home.  The county school system distributed more than 40,000 chromebooks to students in need, and continued to feed them too.   (Those eligible for FARMS).

Having said all of that, mothers suffer the most.   School functions as day care as well, and many moms cannot go back to work if their kids are home.

It's a very complex decision to make, and not everyone will be happy.   I personally have no problem sending my kid back in one of these modified formats.  I would not send him back if it returns to normal, where there are 33 kids in each class and everyone is on top of one another in the cafeteria for lunch. 

I hope teachers are a first priority for vaccinations, up there with first responders and health care workers.   

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

We are taking bets here whether St. Andrews opens out of pressure from the President's family, since that's where Barron Trump goes.  

As Trump can't even remember his own son's name, I doubt he even knows where he goes to school.

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

I'm of the opinion... depending on location, that it's the individual states decision, however I'm all for opening schools back up.  

Looks like our public/private education model may have some long lasting changes. 

My kids are all adults and 3 of 4 had the "college" experience. I too did too, but I'm not sure young people want that as much.  

My kids are also adults .... but I also have several grandchildren.

I don't want them to be cannon fodder for Trump's self serving incompetent mandate that "all schools open"!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

I agree that it is a decision for the individual school systems (not states, lower).  Schools are a different matter. They probably should stay closed longer than the  businesses with it is finally safe to open.  The Trump administration should back off on trying to get schools to open. 

Howerer, I do thing the Trump administration should impose nationwide closures and requirements for wearing masks. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777    I am now laughing my head off. I can't believe that a man can actually be so dumb that he thinks that all  is ok and now the kis  WILL  have to go to school whether is safe of not.
I am so glad that I don't have children in school. because there is no way that my kids will go to school under the present circumstances.
I can just see the mothers in this country trying to deal with this issue and getting angrier by the second.
Big mistake you don't tell a mother when to send her kid  school if she doesn't feel secure enough to do so.

no name
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png