Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Should poor whites support BLM?

Message 51 of 63

The understanding of what "melting pot means has been lost. 

My understanding of the melting pot is a place where different people, races, styles, religions, cultures, are all mixed together. I think by definition the melting pot is not going to have a definition, it is always changing.

I think saying some Americans look or act  unAmerican is counterintutive to the idea of the melting pot. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 63

The only thing needed from these corners of white America is leadership.

The three men I admired most, the father, the son, and the holy ghost, all caught the last train for the coast, the day the music died.

Hopefully millennials will do better then the boomers did, they are the most diverse generation in American history.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 63

@gruffstuff wrote:

Frankly I really don't understand as to why people complain as to the state of our present society/

What is an American supposed to look and act like? Like any other American

What should the result of the melting pot be?The result is to make us all equal in all respects.The cultural differences years ago in the inmigrants did not make immigrants different, they were all Americans.

If the " melting pot " has a predetermined result is it really accurate to call it a melting pot? You  just have made mu point.  The understanding of what "melting pot means has been lost. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 63

Frankly I really don't understand as to why people complain as to the state of our present society/

What is an American supposed to look and act like?

What should the result of the melting pot be?

If the " melting pot " has a predetermined result is it really accurate to call it a melting pot?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 63

It is of our own making. whe have for years now have put so much empahsis on the differences. that people only think in whatever groups they think they belong.
The goal of this country was to become a melting pot for all. and that has proven to be a failure.

Ther blacks arre now less"American" than ever and the excuse is, that they have to celebrate their culture, above the culture of their country.And so all the other minorities, Now those minorities feel that thay belong inside a box with the name of their race/ethinicity and that they have to celebrate those differences.
above of the ones that celebrate their own country.
We are now more diveded than we have ever  been. Frankly I don't see a solition to this problem,  I have to believe that the poloticians have taken advantage of all of this so simply lock the votes of the minorities that they court.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 63

@MIseker wrote:
Its a question. If I said "poor whites are stupid for not joining blm" that would be rather inflamatory wouldnt it? Instead, i chose a question that might bring out opinions. I notice you didnt answer that question. You chose to attack the question instead.

Exactly,  you asked people what they thought another group of people should do.  

I don't think it is attacking to ask why you chose to ask a question about what a group of people should do.  I find it interesting at best.  I did not answer because I am in no position to tell anyone else what they should do.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 63
Its a question. If I said "poor whites are stupid for not joining blm" that would be rather inflamatory wouldnt it? Instead, i chose a question that might bring out opinions. I notice you didnt answer that question. You chose to attack the question instead.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 63

@MIseker wrote:

Excellent article..it begs the question..why dont poor whites support BLM?

>>

OK  first question.  Why did you choose to use "Should" in your title?  People do or do not and "should" has no part in it.  Each person has their own set of values and reasons to make their own right judgements and decisions.  No other person can make that judgment for them and they more they try, the more resistant a person will be.  To imply otherwise is to make plain that you believe them too dumb or simple or whatever to make a correct decision.  They are going to immediately find this somewhat pretentious of the person implying that they are not reaching the correct answer.   Of course this is just my own take. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 63
There are some here that will never get "it". maybe i should jut name them at the start of topics lol.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 63

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

Excellent article..it begs the question..why dont poor whites support BLM?

http://www.fox2detroit.com/the-americans-with-charlie-leduff/leduff-more-white-people-than-black-peo...

Without doubt - by any statistical measure or quality of life category - blacks suffer more than whites. And it's also worth remembering that white are five times the population than blacks. That means, blacks are 2 ½ times more likely to be shot by police when adjusting for their proportion of the population. Seeing as there are two separate white societies in America, we should ask ourselves what kind of whites get shot?  

One is the privileged whites. The monied whites. The college-educated whites. The political and business and media class whites. Those connected to centers of influence and power.

Then there are the underprivileged whites. The poor whites. The working whites. The truckers and roofers. These whites are paid little mind by the privileged whites, who control the airwaves and the printing presses. In these corners of America, they too fear the police. They too are told to "comply."......

And the treatment is different. Rich guys can afford lawyers; poor guys get public defenders. Cops know that. When looked at this way, the numbers start to even out.

Are we to believe that every police shooting of a white person is legitimate? Is this an oversight by the media, or does the privileged white class think somehow working class whites deserve it since race is not a factor and they "should know better?" Maybe white working class America has something in common with black America.......

As far as police reform goes, the Black Lives Matter movement might find a natural ally in the trailer parks, apartment blocks and the blue-collar cul-de-sacs across the country. The only thing needed from these corners of white America is leadership.

Much more at link.

We had those white leaders before, they were murdered. So were the Black leaders that started to pull people together. 

Most blacks shot by police are committing violent crimes or attempting to kill the policeman.  There are exceptions that we hear about on the news where a policeman does violate someone's rights and then we also have more violence. In addition, when a court case is heard and the policeman is vindicated by a jury (like in St. Louis), blacks, BLM, Antifa, thugs bussed in from other cities riot and cause more violence.  Race is a factor since police as well as FBI statistic show that blacks commit more violent crimes on a percentage basis than whites.

Well, here is a list of 100 unarmed black deaths by police in 2015.  How many is "a few"?  (Fake news again, I am afraid)

/https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/unarmed/

100 is a few when you consider 4,149 murders were caused by blacks representing only 13% of the population while the other 87% remaining committed 4,000 murders.  Yours, my friend is the "fake news" again.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-43

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors