Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Should poor whites support BLM?

Message 41 of 63

@MIseker wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@MIseker wrote:
The article has a point everyone is missing. I didnt post all of it..just parts. I left it to the poster to read it all for the perspective.

I think people see the point of the article.. but someone thinking that these two groups are natural allies and should work together vs those people thinking that, are two different things.  

Do you posted the article.  Do you think that these two different groups will join together against their perceived common enemy?

Tell me if this is not the point that you are alluding to.

I wish they would join. The history of this country is making poor whites hate poor blacks instead of recognizing they are all poor. 

I agree with you Mlseker. I live in Kentucky and I hear very often from a young white: "I found a job that pays well, $14 an hour (and sometimes even less)". These same people support RTW laws and hate blacks, feel separate from them. It's a poverty issue and they are in the same boat as the very people they dislike and hate.

It's like  'I'm OK as long as I ain't as bad off as them'.  No one wants to be the lowest on the Totem Pole !

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 63

@nyadrn wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Frankly I really don't understand as to why people complain as to the state of our present society/

What is an American supposed to look and act like?

What should the result of the melting pot be?

If the " melting pot " has a predetermined result is it really accurate to call it a melting pot?

I just watched a documentary on Native American boarding schools.  Where whites took Native American kids, placed them in boarding schools to learn to be white, basically, with the intent of destroying the tribal culture. To me, that's "melting pot."  And it does not and never has had good connotations to me. 

I prefer a stew.  Smiley Very Happy   Different flavors that complement one another.  

Just to be correct here,  white is a color. People of the white race are from many many different countries and cultures. They deserve to be recognized as such.  Lumping them all together is not really accurate either

Well, to be correct, there is no such thing as race.  Not scientifically, anyway. I'm speaking about culture.   The context here is America in the late 19th and early 20th century, when they were attempting to wipe out an indigenous culture.   White American people systematically attempted to wipe out tribal languages, religion, culture, and family ties.   

"Kill the Indian and save the man."  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 63

@NerdyMom wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Frankly I really don't understand as to why people complain as to the state of our present society/

If the " melting pot " has a predetermined result is it really accurate to call it a melting pot?

I just watched a documentary on Native American boarding schools.  Where whites took Native American kids, placed them in boarding schools to learn to be white, basically, with the intent of destroying the tribal culture. To me, that's "melting pot."  And it does not and never has had good connotations to me. 

I prefer a stew.  Smiley Very Happy   Different flavors that complement one another.  

Just to be correct here,  white is a color. People of the white race are from many many different countries and cultures. They deserve to be recognized as such.  Lumping them all together is not really accurate either

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 63

@gruffstuff wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 63

@gruffstuff wrote:

The understanding of what "melting pot means has been lost. 

My understanding of the melting pot is a place where different people, races, styles, religions, cultures, are all mixed together. I think by definition the melting pot is not going to have a definition, it is always changing.

I think saying some Americans look or act  unAmerican is counterintutive to the idea of the melting pot. 

You are correct that is the way that it should be but as we have seen the differences that we see in our society today have become too big. I really don't know how any of this will be resolved.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 63

@MIseker wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@MIseker wrote:
The article has a point everyone is missing. I didnt post all of it..just parts. I left it to the poster to read it all for the perspective.

I think people see the point of the article.. but someone thinking that these two groups are natural allies and should work together vs those people thinking that, are two different things.  

Do you posted the article.  Do you think that these two different groups will join together against their perceived common enemy?

I wish they would join. The history of this country is making poor whites hate poor blacks instead of recognizing they are all poor. 

I think that in the future they will as more commonality becomes apparent. Millenials know their common bonds of music and culture and just youth and it's own agenda, but older members of these groups do not always trust each other and neither wants to take a back seat to the other.  I think that is what it will take.. a natural alliance rather than a political one.  JMHO

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 63

@nyadrn wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 63

@MIseker wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 63

@rker321 wrote:

It is of our own making. whe have for years now have put so much empahsis on the differences. that people only think in whatever groups they think they belong.
The goal of this country was to become a melting pot for all. and that has proven to be a failure.

Ther blacks arre now less"American" than ever and the excuse is, that they have to celebrate their culture, above the culture of their country.And so all the other minorities, Now those minorities feel that thay belong inside a box with the name of their race/ethinicity and that they have to celebrate those differences.
above of the ones that celebrate their own country.
We are now more diveded than we have ever  been. Frankly I don't see a solition to this problem,  I have to believe that the poloticians have taken advantage of all of this so simply lock the votes of the minorities that they court.

Actually at the person to person level, in neighborhoods, at work etc people seem to get along together pretty well.  Maybe because in those groups, people are pretty much equals.  They have more in common than they have differences.  They have less issues getting along than the interactions here might lead you to believe.  But I do agree with you about perceived division.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 63
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors