Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Should We Teach Religion in Schools?

Message 1 of 39

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
I'd even include paganism. I'm sure some can relate to the incessant chants.

Good Idea

There must be a lot of Pagans at Trump Rallys - because all you hear is incessant chants

Lock Her Up

Make America Great

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 39

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Starting to look like those Pakistani Madras schools where they only teach religion. No math, science, history, art.  Who needs that stuff when you can reach a child's soul?

Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 39

@MaVolta wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@MaVolta wrote:

I believe that there is a big difference in teaching about religions (in general) as a part of social studies and history, and the teaching of a particular religion, or bible study. I see no problem with teaching the former as long as it is general information given in the context of studying world cultures and world history. But the latter should be reserved for private schools with a particular religious affiliation. It seems to me that teaching bible study (or any religion) in a public school would definitely violate separation of church and state and should never be allowed.

I would think that getting deeper into the subject matter of world religions would be better left to the realm of academia, and the students who elect to study those subjects at college or university. 

I don't see how you can teach about religion "in general".  This is not to be insulting but are you going to tell the kids that some people believe there is an old white man who lives in the clouds who grants wishes if you are worthy or pathetic enough?  That is the general story.  Until you get into the Bible with or without Christ and then the East and American Indian religions or Scientology you don't have much to talk about and by then you have crossed the line. 

It doesn't have anything to do with explaining a particular religion or anything about a belief system. That would be the same as teaching religion. This is only to do with religion as associated with a culture, or as a part of world history. It's a flyover at 30,000 feet, not down in the weeds. 

For example, in the study of India, it might be noted that there are four major religions that had origins in India; Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism and Jainism. The first two paragraphs in this Wikipedia article show how religions in Indian culture and their influences can be addressed without getting into any belief system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_India

Does that make sense? 

Makes sense to me. 

The question asks "Should We Teach Religion in Schools?"  Loaded question.  Are we talking about religion or theology?  Are we talking religion or Christianity in particular?  Public schools do not need to teach anyone who or how to believe, but I do not believe they can ignore the role religion has played in history.  This very country was born from migrants seeking to escape religious persecution in their home country.  The 1st amendment -- "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" -- that's is what needs to be taught.  Tolerance.  Believe or not believe anything you want, but learn to respect.

Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 39

Libs search for the light of day in the dead of night
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 39

@MaVolta wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
We seem to have a difference of what should be taught. I like others believe religion (all of them) have played a significant role in the history of the world. How can anyone understand ancient Egypt, or Rome without Judaism and the beginning of Christianity? or the rise of Muhammad, and the Crusades. The change in Europe from the reformation, Church of England, the migration for religious freedom.

Again, It's history.

Agreed. Teaching history and world culture is not teaching religion. Religion often plays a significant role in many cultures. How do you understand the culture if you don't recognize the religion that goes along with it? Or is it proposed that we just don't teach students to understand people who are different? 

In teaching world history, it cannot be ignored that roles of government and religion were quite often tightly intertwined. How did we come by the First Amendment (adopted 1791) in the first place if it wasn't meant to defeat the influence of religion over government that had carried on for centuries before? 

England was literally a bloody mess from the persecution of one religion over another solely based on the religious conviction of the monarch on the throne at the time. And exactly how did all of these monarchs in Britain and throughout Europe come to believe that they were 'God-annointed' kings or queens since the Emperor Charlemagne? And speaking of Charlemagne, how would one explain the existence of the 'Holy Roman Empire' over which he had himself anointed emperor by a Catholic pope?

Quite a lot of the problems in the world today evolved out of some form of clash of religions and governments. How do you teach or even begin to understand the history of Asia Minor and the Levant without the background knowledge of the role of religions and governments that dominated the areas? Are students not to understand what happened in the past that have caused most of the problems in the world today? Or is history just to be white-washed and rewritten to skip over the fact that religions played a role in all of that history? 

The Study of World History is not the Study of Religion

When I was in School we had a Civics Class and We had a Civics Book

It said in a Paragraph - Holocaust - 6 Million Jews Killed By Hitler

Now a Jewish Civics Teacher might have spent two weeks reviewing that Historical Fact

A Muslim Teacher might have spent a Hour

Neither is Right - Neither is Wrong - Who Choses?

Just like The Subject of the Thread is -

Should We Teach Religion in Schools

Not Should we Teach About Religions Historical Significance

I'm not sure why this has even come up

Should we have Religioius Education Classes in any Form in Public School - NO

Should we teach our Children Historical Facts - Yes

We teach Children about Communism & Marxism - do we spend weeks Teaching Children that Marx was a Jew and how his Religious Faith framed his Ideology and Why or Why not Judaism is Just and should be followed?

No - Good

" )
" - Anonymous

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 39

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
We seem to have a difference of what should be taught. I like others believe religion (all of them) have played a significant role in the history of the world. How can anyone understand ancient Egypt, or Rome without Judaism and the beginning of Christianity? or the rise of Muhammad, and the Crusades. The change in Europe from the reformation, Church of England, the migration for religious freedom.

Again, It's history.

Agreed. Teaching history and world culture is not teaching religion. Religion often plays a significant role in many cultures. How do you understand the culture if you don't recognize the religion that goes along with it? Or is it proposed that we just don't teach students to understand people who are different? 

In teaching world history, it cannot be ignored that roles of government and religion were quite often tightly intertwined. How did we come by the First Amendment (adopted 1791) in the first place if it wasn't meant to defeat the influence of religion over government that had carried on for centuries before? 

England was literally a bloody mess from the persecution of one religion over another solely based on the religious conviction of the monarch on the throne at the time. And exactly how did all of these monarchs in Britain and throughout Europe come to believe that they were 'God-annointed' kings or queens since the Emperor Charlemagne? And speaking of Charlemagne, how would one explain the existence of the 'Holy Roman Empire' over which he had himself anointed emperor by a Catholic pope?

Quite a lot of the problems in the world today evolved out of some form of clash of religions and governments. How do you teach or even begin to understand the history of Asia Minor and the Levant without the background knowledge of the role of religions and governments that dominated the areas? Are students not to understand what happened in the past that have caused most of the problems in the world today? Or is history just to be white-washed and rewritten to skip over the fact that religions played a role in all of that history? 

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 39

A couple of questions. Who is paying for this?  I assume there will be religion teachers and they will have salaries. Books and educational materials?

Will the kids have to stay extra hours? If so, see my question about paying for this. If not, what subjects are going to be cut and will it be consistent?  For example do we get rid of art in favor of religion classes or math?  Does each school district decide what to remove?

How will the curriculum be chosen?  Will the Church of Satan be covered in a positive light? Perhaps Thor or Odin?  

Will you cover the religions of the kids in the class?  If my family worships a rock just outside of Cleveland, will you provide the teacher with instruction on the intricate religious beliefs we have? 

Alternately, why not let the churches teach their own religion and the schools teach STEM?

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 39

How about teaching ETHICS instead?

If the lessons include all the people, including religious leaders, who told us the secret to a peaceful society was to treat eachother as we wanted to be treated, no problem.

If it even included all the injunctions against lying, stealing, murdering, etc., found in religious texts along with all the laws going back to the Code of Hammurabi that would not be promoting any religion.

GOPers will object as teaching ethical behavior would deprive them of new members, but how bad would that be?

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 39

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Again, It's history.

Well that's the whole point in favor of No Religion - who decides?

Who decides what Religion?

Who decides what is Religion?

Who decides if Alternate or Opposing Points of view are taught?

The Religious Finatics want opposing beliefs about Abortion required by Law as part of America's Healthcare System

What's next a state law requiring a God Story Fish on the back of every New Car?

Religion Finatics want to start Human History at a point that's convenient & supportive of the God Story

I might be more supportive if Religious Finatics were willing to compromise like for example - what's the God Story say about Man destroying the Planet that the God Story says God created?

Seems to me if aborting a Organism that can't survive outside its host is Murder - what about the Murder of the Host that supports every Organism in existence?

Just one example of the Hypocrisy & why people who want to push anything that isnt supported by Science & Math are simply Con Artists because they feel entitled & justified to just make it up as they go along!

" )
" - Anonymous

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 39

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Again, It's history.

Yep - it's history of fairy tale driven massacres and church/government dictatorships throughout the centuries...

44>dolt45
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Thursday, July 9 – Coronavirus Event

1 p.m. ET - Answering Your Frequently Asked Questions

Call: 1-855-274-9507

Top Authors