From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Should Apple Assist the FBI or Not?

Message 1 of 246
Last post fed's dismissed case against Apple.

The hack they used works on 17% of iPhones and iPads . anything with "secure enclave" it can't be used.

So if you don't care about encryption just use old tech for cheap and you are golden. It will be the equivalent of using XP or 8.0 on a computer.

Anyone can hack you with no security patches available ever. Yes, that is a simplistic comment😈.

My money's on Snowden telling them how to do the hack.Chip off or multiple writes to ram, to. Break the 10 wrong guess hack vs total delete.

I've watched the Celebrite Pro in action and that won't happen easily, and I don't have $100k spare to test my own device.

😈😈.

Frozen
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 246

Prosecco,

Probably won't find out who until April 5 for officially. That's when Apple is told how it happened in theory, and they have chance to fix or correct if security issue.they also have given an answer to in the past. Or did the owners have a funky jailbroken or free app that also caused the Fed's to crack the iPhone.

There's a little problem that tends to drive people nuts, whether the crack came from vulnerability in the hardware or software that's fed's should give answer to or whether it was security flaw in the coding that in theory (don't we love that word) 

Theory is little tweeting bird that sounds so pretty - Apple's next day in court is April 5 - supposedly. Despite Fed's saying they didn't require the backdoor due to the crack they found. I don't think it was Celebrite. Can't find anything one way or the other.

Of approx 60 journals it's all whodunit, do you know? And to the security types like me it's 

all of the above, and could it have been a worm, just to make things more interesting.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 246

Dark as Darth Vader - eh.

Was it the Lazarus, or something else comment?

Could be worse I guess too much dark humour from BOFH, or how to survive in IT.

BOFH

Required reading for anyone that needs a lesson in understanding my dry Humor. I could be worse.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 246

For goodness sake Frozen, sometimes you sound darker than Darth Vader.  LOL.  Well whomever it was, it simply proves a point that everything will be hacked given enough time. 
Frankly I really don't care too much about the security on my phone, I am afraid that i am quite boring and only very few people have my cell phone number. 
I am of the belief that a phone should be for speaking with a person  and that is it.
I am not technophobic, I have three pc on a network, my laptop. two tablets and spend too much time here in my pc. Therefore, when I go out of the house, the only time that I want to hear the phone is on emergencies. of something that cannot wait.

And it is usually my husband. If my children call I will answer. but they have instructions to call on my landline first.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 246

Frozenoem posted this:

"Looks like it could have been Snowden's tip or Celebrite.

Yes, that Snowden from Moscow at the moment he suggested chip off recovery.

And Celebrite is Israeli based and does have software $9000 per license that did do recoveries on iOs 7,8 and previous versions."

So whodunit???  Woman Frustrated

"All signs are pointing to Cellebrite, an Israeli company, as the mysterious "outside party" that helped agents unlock the iPhone used by the San Bernardino terro...."

To read more, go here:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/31/technology/cellebrite-fbi-phone/index.html

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 246

Once more into the breach....

Once more into the breach...

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 246

Looks like it could have been Snowden's tip or Celebrite.

Yes, that Snowden from Moscow at the moment he suggested chip off recovery.

And Celebrite is Israeli based and does have software $9000 per license that did do recoveries on iOs 7,8 and previous versions. If names sound familiar I think I mentioned them seemingly a billion posts ago.

And the crowd goes wild for leaks, or it could have been an agency of the federal government who would prefer to remain nameless and faceless.

Used to be back in the darker ages before ios9.x or Google android "Lollipop" phones, the FBI encouraged all consumaers to turn on encryption for cellphones, used to be and now they may want it outlawed. Suddenly I feel so much safer for on-line banking, credit card purchases, etc

I dunno

encryption anyone

Just for giggles any wise consumer should or might like to mouse through the above link, and please remember Apple did give the FBI assistance as far as they could. They are no more the evil empire then M$, Apache, Linux or other software companies. The link is relatively good, far removed from best.  For why encryption is a necessary evil just thumb through any of the Anonymous or other Hacks of late and databases infiltrated. 

They Apple - removed themselves as has Google  from being able to access anything on phones other than thru cloud backups. Customers remain happy as do quite a few US and foreign countries. 

Lot to be said for protecting your data and not giving away those dandy old computers without a wipe. Judging by some posts in my inbox from long dead aarp'ers with neat malware encrypted payloads that want me to click on 'em. Long dead more than 5 years, like Lazarus they've arisen.

Frozen

K9 is busy treeing a squirrel

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 246

Looks like somebody else did what Apple wouldn't (my guess:Mossad-for them letting the other side's mail go unread is suicidal)

Still think there should be some way to "share" encryption keys - the prime numbers used to scramble the data - and that should be enough to read any encrypted data.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 246

We like you so much better when you're not sleep-deprived!  Thanks for the info.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 246

Actually most white hat hackers do publish. Even some black hats, there is a reason for trade journals, there is also a reason for hacking conventions.

I found my post from January of this year.

Surprise, Apple OS X is the most vulnerable software of 2015

OSx is the most vulnerable software 384 Vulnerabilities, Number 2 is a drum roll please iOS (Iphone software) 375 Vulnerabilities.

More than double all Windows Operating Systems.

Windows 7 had 147 Vulnerabilities

8 had 146 "  "

and RT 8.1 had 139 "    "

Windows 10 only had 53 Vulnerabilities or CVE.

No, I'm not an Apple FanBoy otherwise I'd have the latest and greatest piece of hardware in their phone or computers, one or two  (yech, Apples) and an old phone is fine with me. Although I might very well run out and buy their new iphone for $399 sometime soon. 

If you behave nicely and don't jailbreak them to invite trouble - life is good even with Apples, and update, update, update. You want things to worry about explore "Stingray" not a fish but, surveillance for a mere $10 Million of all phones in given locale. Or kids selling their online souls for free app's. Adults with their free app's and AV programs having their info. sold, malware being loaded on Hospital computers and info being sold online, at black sites. Like I said above or in one of these posts , stuff happens is an old adage in security and computers.

I think I'll just take another nap, everything is hooked up and now I need to recover someones nightmare, and scan someone else's network for one more oopsie in life on Apple and Unix and Windows computers.

I have a warped sense of humor and only rarely get worked up, my bloodpressure must remain low. Generally why I avoid Politics and Current Events except when I read something that I actually like or almost enjoy.

Frozen and K9

Kudos
Views