Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Should Apple Assist the FBI or Not?

Message 61 of 246
Easy for you to say, who has no business anyway.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 246

I agree only as long it remains top secret.  Apple is a big business and no one has to right to infringe on their copyright of it.  If Apple has rights to their code, then it should remain that way. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 246
YES
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 246

@firefighter wrote:
If the FBI is not able to over come the intelligence of the Apple co.
With out any help from any one.
God Help US.

The FBI isn't into code breaking - that's what NSA does, and they do not want to be involved because however they might "open the phone" would have to be revealed in court. The idea that an American company can develop and market an incryption system our intelligence services cannot easily access is coming close to treason - the part about "willfully giving aid to our enemy".

Handing ISIS and a litany of other bad people a secure communication system is some heavy duty "aid" to an implacable enemy, and ISIS can have it for the price of the product.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 246
I agree with you. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Why did they ever have to make it a cause for public discourse. It could have been handled so discreetly giving the FBI the info it seeks.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 246

As an Apple Stock holder I say "Hell NO."  The government hasn't proven to me that it can keep ANYTHING secure.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 246
If the FBI is not able to over come the intelligence of the Apple co.
With out any help from any one.
God Help US.
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 246
If the original news reports were correct that California PD changed the pass codes before FBI had the phone, algorithm have already been changed.

Apple did At one point offer to look at the phone, FBI doesn't want it out of there sight, that might be chain of evidence I really can't tell.

You're working with encrypted data, and it's still a roll of the dice of recoverable even by Apple if the passcode was changed by California PD or low level Federal tech.

Frozen

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 246

@MIseker wrote:

I wonder why the FBI decided to take this public? They have possesson of the phone..and certainly the knowledge to crack it at least via the "chip off" method. ( I read that article too) Why didnt they choose to quietly do this?

As a side, people that have taken this type of info public ( as opposed to a corp like apple) have been charged with sedition.  Im sure the DOJ knew the risks and implications of Apple being a whistle blower. 

In my opinion, the FBI chose this case because they felt that since they called the criminals terrorists everyone would support them. This is the same mindset that got the "Patriot Act" passed after 9/11.

If Apple creates a program to open this phone all levels of government will use it against them to get them to open the hundreds of other phones that were confiscated from others.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 246

@2Papa wrote:

if you have nothing to hide, why worry about this request by the FBI?  If you worry about it or take a stance against it, you DO have something to hide.  We must assist our protectors in order to be safe.  Do not hamper their efforts.  We don't want situations which may cause the police to say, "I pulled the terrorist over for not having an operable taillight and gave him a ticket.  I was suspicious and wanted to search his car but that would have been illegal, so I couldn't do it.  If I had been able to do a search, I would have found those guns and bombs he used in the mass shooting rampage at the mall and it would have never happened.  Give the peace officers the tools they need to protect this wonderful nation!

Do you leave the front door of your house open all the time? If not, why not since nobody will bother you if you have nothing to hide.

Do you want a country where the police can search every car, house, business, etc. just because they feel like it?

Kudos
Views