Ready for your next job? Get a free resume review from AARP Resume Advisor.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Shadowy Email Harvesting Behind Go Fund The Wall Fundraiser

Message 11 of 18

In Trump/Fox world, they all used a flawed premised. If you're not in favor of Trump's Vanity Wall, then you're not for border security. It's too bad they think such simple thoughts and don't understand the ramifications. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Shadowy Email Harvesting Behind Go Fund The Wall Fundraiser

Message 12 of 18

This is just  an attack  against the pro  wall people who wants border security. The attack is against Christians,Seniors,Republicans,The right wing, and Trump supporters. Mostly conducted by Trump haters who are always losing and looking for ways to reclaim their defunct power.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18

: Shadowy Email Harvesting Behind Go Fund The Wall Fundraiser

No need to wonder if there is a correlation between right wing Christian organizations and right wing politics either, I'm sure when you give money to the 700 Club your name and information is farmed out to the Republican Party and other right wing organizations.

Not given away I'm sure, sold.

It would be interesting to see that database, the effect, the correlation between different right wing groups, targeted solicitations, and fund raising.

I'm sure  they have built personality profiles of individuals, what pushes their buttons, what the best pitch to use is for  each individual person.

Data harvesting  is nothing new, shadowy groups target older people, people with problems, one step closer to death, people in pain,  people looking for a life saver. 

Old people have always been targets, they were targets before the Internet, and now shadowy groups have better tools to target people with, and of course they target old people as a demographic.

However I'm sure racism works too, if a person is old and racist  that's two boxes to check, if they want a wall that's three, if they want to keep their guns that's four.

And so on.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

Chasky53,

I am just so happy I saw the original post about this go fund me page. See, my neighbor was

about to donate 10,000 to the cause. My neighborhood was getting calls to donate, posts where showing up on Next Door. My 87 year old neighbor, thought she had to donate to be safe. 

Anyway, my sincerest thanks to all of you. I have reached out to Betty's family to let them know my concerns... Nancy

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

@n566192l wrote:

Chasky53,

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on the email harvesting. 

This isn't the only place email harvesting goes on.  I think it to be exceptionally sad that an amputee war veteran who runs fake news sites would also stoop to a Go Fund The Wall Page to scam the intelligence challenged wall/trump supporters for profits from compiling valuable email lists. Oh well, trump scammed them, so did this guy.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18

Chasky53,

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on the email harvesting. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

You're right Chaz and good article.  Thanks.

The GOP has dominated the fraud and the lying and Fake News catagory of Trivia Pursuit for decades.....WMD's, Cheny and Halliburton, Hey, let's have a war and give no-bid contracts to our friends....and it continues today to trumps, a fraud a day revelations.  Sadly, this isn't too surprising, Chaz.  It's who they are....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Shadowy Email Harvesting Behind Go Fund The Wall Fundraiser

Message 18 of 18

Behind the viral #GoFundTheWall fundraiser, a rising conservative star and a shadowy email harvesting operation

Brian Kol**bleep**e, a triple-amputee Air Force veteran, has operated fake news websites and fundraisers to build a lucrative email list.

Image: Border Wall On US Mexico Border Continues To Be Sticking Point Driving Government Shutdown Into Its Third Week

A man walks on the Mexican side of the U.S.-Mexico border barrier on Jan. 8, 2019 in Tijuana, Mexico.Mario Tama / Getty Images

Jan. 11, 2019, 4:44 PM CST
By Brandy Zadrozny and Ben Collins

The GoFundMe fundraiser that promised to help privately fund President Donald Trump's plan for a wall spanning the length of the U.S.-Mexico border surpassed $20 million dollars in donations this week. But the man behind it — Brian Kol**bleep**e, a rising conservative media star — may have had another goal.

Through his border-wall campaign, he claims to have gathered 3.5 million email addresses, which are essential to his broader operation — a wide-ranging and multipronged effort to collect a list of Trump supporters who have proven to be sources of donations for conservative efforts, former employees told NBC News.

According to former employees and public records including website archives, Nevada business registrations and property records, Kol**bleep**e has repeatedly created GoFundMe campaigns and published inflammatory fake news articles, pushing them both from websites that he sought to hide behind shell companies and false identities, in part to harvest email addresses. Those addresses were then used to push people back to Kol**bleep**e’s websites, to sell a brand of coffee he owns, or to be stockpiled for future use by conservative campaigns.

Kol**bleep**e, a triple-amputee Air Force veteran, had mostly worked behind the scenes of this operation until the viral GoFundMe campaign made national headlines.

Retired U.S. Air Force Sr. Airman Brian Kol**bleep**eRetired U.S. Air Force Sr. Airman Brian Kol**bleep**e speaks to reporters during a 2016 groundbreaking ceremony for a new home he and his family were receiving through the Gary Sinise Foundation's RISE program at Sandestin, Florida, on Jan. 14, 2016.Devon Ravine / Northwest Florida Daily News via AP file

Six days after the campaign was launched, it was edited to include a new call: "AFTER DONATING, SIGN OUR PETITION WE NEED 100 million signatures.” The text repeats four times at the top of the page before any description about the fundraiser itself.

A spokesperson for GoFundMe told NBC News that all donors would be refunded because Kol**bleep**e had changed the language midcampaign, erasing an earlier pledge to “refund every single penny” if the goal of $1 billion was not met. Those donors will also be offered a way to refuse the refund and instead have it routed to a new charity set up by Kol**bleep**e, the spokesperson said.

Kol**bleep**e also used GoFundMe to solicit donations by check to a P.O. Box in Colorado, manned by former Freedom Daily writer Amanda Shea. The amount raised via checks is unclear, though Kol**bleep**e noted in a tweet that payments by check had put them "over the record.”

GoFundMe says it has no hand in refunding those funds.

“We process refunds for donations made online through GoFundMe. That does not include any offline donations,” the spokesperson said.

The campaign, however, is only the most high-profile part of Kol**bleep**e’s email harvesting operation, which former employees told NBC News extends back to his creation of far-right news websites — an effort that resulted in a Facebook ban.

Fake news, real emails

Kol**bleep**e’s email harvesting previously relied on two ultra-conservative websites, FreedomDaily and Right Wing News, that frequently trafficked in false and politically divisive news, according to two former employees and two owners of competitor websites.

MUCH more at link:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/behind-viral-gofundthewall-fundraiser-rising-conservative-sta...

Geeez, you really just can't trust a conservative ......... not even a conservative disabled veteran.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Replies