Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Sex Sells Because We Make It So

Message 11 of 19

alferdpacker wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

I agree.  In fact I agree so much I felt it worthy to illustrate your point.  As you know, many, especially us with the xy chromosome's, remain in denial.  Shucks, just two years ago folks were posting that there is no racism in the US.....thus the desire to breakthrough to those lacking in the gene pool and post video's of racist behavior. 

If a marketing campaign is to appeal to right wing shallow end of the gene pool bigots - reality and rationality almost certainly won't sell to them - but sex, greed and prejudice will...

Perhaps their offspring will not be as much like them...

@alferdpacker  This is not a partisan issue; this is the Politics and SOCIETY forum, afterall. Not everything that is posted here is about red and blue. Sexist ads have existed throughout our national history. No one, no party, no consumer is guiltless as long as we respond to ads that use the posterior of young women to sell whatever. That ad above: wasn't it broadcast during the previous administration?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 19

Yep - - - - - - - It's yer mind !!!

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"

Message 13 of 19

Centristsin2010 wrote:

I agree.  In fact I agree so much I felt it worthy to illustrate your point.  As you know, many, especially us with the xy chromosome's, remain in denial.  Shucks, just two years ago folks were posting that there is no racism in the US.....thus the desire to breakthrough to those lacking in the gene pool and post video's of racist behavior. 

If a marketing campaign is to appeal to right wing shallow end of the gene pool bigots - reality and rationality almost certainly won't sell to them - but sex, greed and prejudice will...

Perhaps their offspring will not be as much like them...

Have pity for Melania - she hasn't yet got rid of that ugly fat.

Message 14 of 19

Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 Hearing that!  DH, who is treated to my observations pritnear daily (poor guy, he's really a saint to be able to live with me) still scoffs at my allegations of systemic misogyny.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 15 of 19

Centristsin2010 wrote:

We're selling WHAT????

Right you are, Epster!  It starts with parents TEACHING their children what is and what isn't acceptable.  Fortunately, the Hardee's/Carl's Burgers cost trump his Labor Secretary's cabinet post....we're atarting to see the light.

Some can and do see and others are hopeless...

Here are links to two rather amusing videos by Maddie and Tae that mock and lampoon misogynistic archetypes as well as fatuous not-men/poseurs - and most delightfully so..

Maddie & Tae - Girl In A Country Song - YouTube

Maddie & Tae - Shut Up And Fish - YouTube

Frank Zappa's "what's the ugliest part of your body" has always been worthy of consideration - as is Ed Sander's "iliad" - considering some aspects of the nation's current cultural climate...

Frank Zappa - What's the ugliest part of your body? (lyrics on clip) - YouTube

'the iliad' by ed sanders - YouTube

Have pity for Melania - she hasn't yet got rid of that ugly fat.

Message 16 of 19

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 17 of 19

@Centristsin2010  I don't think sexism, sexual assault and sexual harassment are partisan issues. They have been around since before Madison Ave because our thinking allows it. I'm saying it is time now to clean out our individual thought processes. Smiley Happy

Including, probably, the posting of an ad that sexualizes and exploits females. (ahem Smiley Happy

I think the pendulum has shifted to where we can rise up and demand non-sexual advertising practices. Lord knows advertisers have enough data on us to be able to exploit other weaknesses. Such as what are you talking about on social media; what do you 'like'; what are you thinking about buying; what have your friends just bought; what are you reading online; what model car do you drive; what clothing do you buy; how expensive is your home... . Since we practically live online, their dossiers on us are expansive. They can exploit us in innumerable ways now. 

Message 18 of 19

We're selling WHAT????

Right you are, Epster!  It starts with parents TEACHING their children what is and what isn't acceptable.  Fortunately, the Hardee's/Carl's Burgers cost trump his Labor Secretary's cabinet post....we're atarting to see the light.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Highlighted

Sex Sells Because We Make It So

Message 19 of 19

https://travel.aarp.org/articles-tips/articles/info-2017/muffler-men-roadside-attractions.page.2.htm...

This Muffler Men story on the AARP website includes a 'Muffler Woman'. Each of the male statues are fully dressed. The woman, however, is in a bikini.

This helps present women as objects valued for their bodies rather than for their abilities. We are now going through a rash of sexual abuse revelations. To fix the systemic problem, we must address seemingly innocent but prevalent messaging such as this bikini wearing statue.

We, the consumers, are the gears to all advertising. What we respond positively to is what we'll get more of. Together we can change this depiction of women. We can complain about such advertising protocols. We can choose to spend money elsewhere. We can make a stink. We really can change our world.

In my view, this is a good place to take a stand against misogyny and sexual abuse.

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors