Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Sending immigrants to sanctuary cities: costlly & illegal

Message 121 of 162

@JANMB wrote:

I was traveling with a small   group entering the German border just a couple years ago.   There was no WALL....but  we were stopped ..... our passports were checked and the travel-company had to provide information.    I didn't see ANY border walls and was in 14 countries.    

Traveling from the USA into Canada there are no WALLS.  at the border checkpoints.  

This obsession Trump has with a WALL is bizzare and the fact he dropped aid to Central America doesn't help.    (  Fox pundits called  the folks from Central America -  -Mexican  to make their points I guess or maybe they don't know any better )        

Would I be correct in assuming that at the time of your trip there were no caravans of thousands of people intending to enter Germany illegally??

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 122 of 162

trump immigrants golf.jpg

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 123 of 162

@rk9152 wrote:

Snide does not cover - Bottom line you can either get rid of the borders or enforce them. I cannot see a third option.

We have been working (and spending) for years in those countries. Their conditions did not start in January of 2017.

I did not realize that it was necessary to use the least effective and most expensive means possible if we wanted to defend our borders.  I agree those conditions did not start  on  January of 2017 but something is pushing them to move north and it sure looks to be a combination of Trump's tweets and his inability to work with our southern neighbors to help resolve their (and our) problems. The fact that Trump is completely incapable of identifying the cause or presenting a solution does not resolve him of the responsibility to do so.  

I think we should be buying another Participation Trophy in recognition of anther Trump attempt to "try" and fix a problem.  He has to have a whole trophy case of those plastic figures by now.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 124 of 162

I was traveling with a small   group entering the German border just a couple years ago.   There was no WALL....but  we were stopped ..... our passports were checked and the travel-company had to provide information.    I didn't see ANY border walls and was in 14 countries.    

Traveling from the USA into Canada there are no WALLS.  at the border checkpoints.  

This obsession Trump has with a WALL is bizzare and the fact he dropped aid to Central America doesn't help.    (  Fox pundits called  the folks from Central America -  -Mexican  to make their points I guess or maybe they don't know any better )        

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 125 of 162

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

You are referring to the actions of the Dems in the past - before this became a major partisan issue. Now, the partisanship seems more important.

Bottom line you can either get rid of the borders or enforce them. I cannot see a third option.

I had not heard that the Republicans were suggesting we get rid of our borders.  I know the  Democrats would argue against such an action. On the other hand, the Democrats would also recommend Trump stop threatening to close the borders when he plainly cannot afford to do that.  The leaders of countries to our south are well aware that Trump is all bluster but his Tweets are encouraging people to leave for the U.S. immediately.  A competent president would work with our southern neighbors to change the conditions leading to the exodus.  An incompetent president would cut aid and make the situation worse thus encouraging a larger exodus. 

Keep me informed on how getting rid of America's borders works out for you. I will be surprised if it works.

Snide does not cover - Bottom line you can either get rid of the borders or enforce them. I cannot see a third option.

We have been working (and spending) for years in those countries. Their conditions did not start in January of 2017.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 126 of 162

@rk9152 wrote:

You are referring to the actions of the Dems in the past - before this became a major partisan issue. Now, the partisanship seems more important.

Bottom line you can either get rid of the borders or enforce them. I cannot see a third option.

I had not heard that the Republicans were suggesting we get rid of our borders.  I know the  Democrats would argue against such an action. On the other hand, the Democrats would also recommend Trump stop threatening to close the borders when he plainly cannot afford to do that.  The leaders of countries to our south are well aware that Trump is all bluster but his Tweets are encouraging people to leave for the U.S. immediately.  A competent president would work with our southern neighbors to change the conditions leading to the exodus.  An incompetent president would cut aid and make the situation worse thus encouraging a larger exodus. 

Keep me informed on how getting rid of America's borders works out for you. I will be surprised if it works.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 127 of 162

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:The President's staffing practices are hardly relevant to where to place illegals

Your comparison of numbers overlooks the fact that if you go from an attitude of "the borders don't exist" to one of border security, the results will obviously be different.

Rather than making this  partisan issue, wiuldn't it make more sense to fix it. For example if we all agreed that illegal entry must be addressed, then we could work on updating the approach used for legal entry, actually immigrating and short term work permits.

Yes, the problems we are experiencing can be laid at the feet of President Trump. It is because he considers border security an important issue and his responsibility as President. It would be easy to end the lines at the border, the "kids in cages", the "ripped from the mothers'  bosoms" and the rest by simply ignoring the existence of borders. I hardly see that as viable.

As to the snide, "oh well" - don't forget the picture that got the left's panties in a wad awhile ago, which was taken on Obama's watch.

Many conservatives here have pointed out that Democrats have previously voted lots of funds for border protection's. They have even claimed some of it was for wall funding (which is inaccurate).  Now to claim they want to eliminate the borders is  a bit disingenuous.  What we are saying is that it becomes more obvious with every passing day that Trump cannot manage the country, much less the border problems he helped create with his Tweets.

His staffing problems are part if his inability to manage. The mess at the border is part of his inability to manage. The flow of refugees is happening because of his inability to use diplomacy.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 128 of 162

@rk9152 wrote:

Rather than making this  partisan issue, wiuldn't it make more sense to fix it. For example if we all agreed that illegal entry must be addressed, then we could work on updating the approach used for legal entry, actually immigrating and short term work permits.

Partisan? Trump got the best bipartisan deal he could have ever hoped for (the $25 b for border security in exchange for DACA). Trump walked away.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 129 of 162

@rk9152 wrote:The President's staffing practices are hardly relevant to where to place illegals

Your comparison of numbers overlooks the fact that if you go from an attitude of "the borders don't exist" to one of border security, the results will obviously be different.

Yes, the problems we are experiencing can be laid at the feet of President Trump. It is because he considers border security an important issue and his responsibility as President. It would be easy to end the lines at the border, the "kids in cages", the "ripped from the mothers'  bosoms" and the rest by simply ignoring the existence of borders. I hardly see that as viable.

As to the snide, "oh well" - don't forget the picture that got the left's panties in a wad awhile ago, which was taken on Obama's watch.

Many conservatives here have pointed out that Democrats have previously voted lots of funds for border protection's. They have even claimed some of it was for wall funding (which is inaccurate).  Now to claim they want to eliminate the borders is  a bit disingenuous.  What we are saying is that it becomes more obvious with every passing day that Trump cannot manage the country, much less the border problems he helped create with his Tweets.

His staffing problems are part if his inability to manage. The mess at the border is part of his inability to manage. The flow of refugees is happening because of his inability to use diplomacy.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 130 of 162

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Appaerently you do not like this idea - what should be done with them???

Well........I am GLAD you asked.  

First, I would start hiring more judges to hear their cases so they could be expedited. 

I would set up a group to contact relatives and friends in the interior to provide the services charities are being forced by the famous Trump incompetence to provide instead. 

Seems......oh........I don't know.......like obvious solutions? 

The Judge part makes sense. However, how many can you get on board and how fast. And then can the caravans not increase their numbers?

Oh......I don't know.......simple minded but not realistic. 

If they have families here, why do they not set that up themselves in advance??

Oh......I don't know......touchy-feely but impractical

Alternate perspective - we have borders - oh .....I don't know.......should they not be defended?

n 2000, we had more immigrants arriving on our southern border than we do today but that was under a relatively competent president.  In 2016, we had vastly fewer immigrants showing up than we do today but we did not have 3 years of Tweets threatening to close the border and earlier presidents had worked with our neighbors to keep conditions from deteriorating.

Now, we have a president who is considered so repugnant as an employer that he could not find enough executive talent to staff a large McDonalds.  it is amazing that he will Tweet for months about caravans en route and yet is totally unprepared when they arrive at our border. I have to tell you that the hours long waits at the border crossings are starting to impact the economies of the southern borderlands. I can't imagine what they are doing to the northern factories.  

Oh well, incompetence is president.  It is why he is defending the border by putting children in cages. 

The President's staffing practices are hardly relevant to where to place illegals

Kudos
Views