Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Senate Coronavirus Bill Threatens Soc. Sec.

Message 1 of 5

"If Trump and Republicans retain power after November's elections, they will make sure that corporations never repay Social Security." — Michael Phelan, Social Security Works

A Republican controlled Congress and a Trump presidency would spell trouble for Social Security.

A Republican controlled Congress and a Biden presidency would also spell trouble for Social Security.

Centrists are always saying how well Biden works WITH Republicans. Biden, himself, brags about it.

And Biden has a record to prove it:

• He supported George Bush's Iraq War.

• He voted with Republicans in dismantling the FDR's Glass-Steagal Act allowing Banks, Insurance compaines and Wall Street to merge.

• He sided with Republicans (and the credit card companies) on the Bankrupcy Bill.

• He worked with Republicans to (try) to cut Social Security.

https://www.newsweek.com/biden-denies-advocating-social-security-cuts-democratic-debate-1492428

I think the economy is going to sink like we've never seen before. It will likely be referred to as a "Depression". That's when the Pendulum will swing to the left, just like it did in the 1930's under Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Someone once described the difference between a "Recession" and a "Depression":

"If you were employed, to you, it was a "Recession". If you were unemployed, it was a "Depression".

When our economy sinks, we will need big, bold ideas. Not pragmatism. Not incrementalism. People will look to the "fighters" to solve our problems.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: "I've spent so many years of my life scared... I'm sick of being scared, I want to solve these problems once and for all. We should not be scared of what will happen if we try, we should be scared of what will happen if we don't."

aoc bernie cell phone.png

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5
Even though nutty nancy's only gave a tepid endorsement of the senate bill ... the market sees that as a win.

libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Thanks Gordy. 
Or as they say strike while the iron is hot. I've been hearing more about the repub attack on SocSec. And I have long backed the increase in the limit that Scout is referring to. And why not. 
And then there were the Senate trump repubs who voted against unemployment benefits...they are just disgusting, as is trump. Perhaps the House might take a shot at both items...

We hope! Stay tuned. 

Wierd? 3 million apply for jobless claims and the stock market goes up! What am I missing. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Leave it to the Republican Party to use a National Disaster as cover for a sneak attack on the Social Security System. No real surprise tho, GOPers have been doing everything they can to destroy SS since August 14th, 1935.

House Democrats need to not only remove the posion pill but replace it with an increase in the SS "Cap" to $300,000 and index it so the cap will always cover 90% of income. Then they should consider dropping some major weapon systems from DOD and use the money to REPLACE small business (less than 500 employees) FICA contributions for 3 months. Why? The best way to avoid sucker punches in the future is to COUNTER-PUNCH fast and hard.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Senate Coronavirus Bill Threatens Soc. Sec.

Message 5 of 5

House Democrats Urged to Remove 'Insidious Attack' on Social Security Hidden Within Senate Coronavirus Bill

"The Democrats are walking right into the trap," Michael Phelan, deputy director of Social Security Works, warned in an email before the Senate passed its massive coronavirus stimulus bill Wednesday night.

Progressives are demanding that the Democrat-controlled House of Representatives prioritize removing a little-noticed provision in the massive Senate-passed coronavirus stimulus bill that would allow employers to stop paying into Social Security for at least the rest of the year—potentially threatening the program's long-term financial health.

"If Trump and Republicans retain power after November's elections, they will make sure that corporations never repay Social Security." — Michael Phelan, Social Security Works

Section 2302 of the nearly 900-page legislation would let companies defer until next year their payment of the employer payroll tax, one of the primary funding mechanisms for Social Security.

The bill would require that companies pay 50% of their owed 2020 payroll taxes by December 31, 2021.

While the section has thus far received little media attention, advocacy group Social Security Works said the language authorizes an "insidious attack" on the New Deal-era program and must be stripped out before final passage.

The House is expected to vote on the bill as early as Friday.

(We'll see what happens)

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/26/house-democrats-urged-remove-insidious-attack-social-se...

soc sec save it.jpeg

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors