Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Science Explains Deep Political Polarization

Message 21 of 36

@alferdpacker  See my previous post. I just answered your question in a response to @ChasKy53..

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 36

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Perhaps a lack of reading comprehension is to blame? Or perhaps people will post insults on chat sites they wouldn't say to anyone face to face?

@ChasKy53

The article notes that the study showed people do indeed have difficulty getting a person's meaning from text alone, and that to truly understand one another, non-verbal clues are necessary.

But here we are, right? 

So let's discuss how we think we can be better understood in this format. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 36

@Epster wrote:

@alferdpacker I couldn't disagree with you more about communication on this board. Effective communication requires more than constant postulation. To be effective, a communication must be understood. 

Do I understand you? I doubt it. Do you understand me? Clearly not. Your suspicion that I'm posting here operating as a politico rather than the schoolmarm I truly am proved that point. 

To be frank, I personally find the political boards nearly impossible to read due to the tendency of the many to reduce each topic to partisan character assassination (as well as participant character assassination). Ain't nobody got time for that. Smiley Happy (Well, nobody who seeks to spend their time in productive pursuit, anyway)

So then what is being accomplished here? The spending of time. Do we hope for more? I do. Thus this topic.

Smiley Happy

So - will the topic deal with applying hard cold scientific realities to political thought and discussion, and rejecting non-reality?

44>45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 36

@Epster wrote:

Reminder: this topic is about how the written word is a less successful avenue for discussing things with persons holding opposing political beliefs, and that face to face discussions fare better.

Do you have anything to add to this topic?

Perhaps a lack of reading comprehension is to blame? Or perhaps people will post insults on chat sites they wouldn't say to anyone face to face?

If one really thinks that written word is not a successful way to discuss politics then why come to a political chat site? Anyone thinking that face to face is better should maybe stick to that I guess.

I think a lot of what causes polarization is the right wing propaganda machine created by Murdock, Ailes, the Kochs, Bannon and others. If people wouldn't believe their bull feces we would have less polarization.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 36

@alferdpacker I couldn't disagree with you more about communication on this board. Effective communication requires more than constant postulation. To be effective, a communication must be understood. 

Do I understand you? I doubt it. Do you understand me? Clearly not. Your suspicion that I'm posting here operating as a politico rather than the schoolmarm I truly am proved that point. 

To be frank, I personally find the political boards nearly impossible to read due to the tendency of the many to reduce each topic to partisan character assassination (as well as participant character assassination). Ain't nobody got time for that. Smiley Happy (Well, nobody who seeks to spend their time in productive pursuit, anyway)

So then what is being accomplished here? The spending of time. Do we hope for more? I do. Thus this topic.

Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 36

@Epster wrote:

I started this thread because I wanted to discuss ways we could try to better communicate on the political forum. 

@Epster- at this point it's quite obvious that the vast majority of posters here are quite effectively and without much in the way of equivocation managing to quite unambiguously communicate their beliefs, opinions, and feelings of a political nature...

It appears to me - and - just perhaps to some other posters here as well - that an undisclosed politically ulterior motive is at play here...

44>45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 36

@alferdpacker wrote:

Is that an attempt to - as the article you cited in the original post said - and attempt to "dehumanise", "demean", and distrspect 

Shouldn't that fact be discussed, rather than making a gratuitous attack upon valid fact?

@alferdpacker Nope, not a whit. President Trump is not the topic here. If someone wants to discuss another topic, they are free to start a separate thread. I started this thread because I wanted to discuss ways we could try to better communicate on the political forum. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 36

@Epster wrote:

@Olderscout66  Is there some sort of secret butterfly designation for going off-topic the most? If not, I am baffled at your response.  What does that story about President Trump's high school years have to to with this topic?

Reminder: this topic is about how the written word is a less successful avenue for discussing things with persons holding opposing political beliefs, and that face to face discussions fare better.

Is that an attempt to - as the article you cited in the original post said - an attempt to "dehumanise", "demean", and disrespect - and therefore quite unsuccessfully attempt to invalidate the accuracy of the fact that Olderscout66 posted - one that gave a revealing and accurate view into the nature of trump's job performance and management techniques in his youth?

Shouldn't that fact be discussed, rather than attempting a gratuitous attack upon valid fact?

44>45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 36

@Olderscout66  Is there some sort of secret butterfly designation for going off-topic the most? If not, I am baffled at your response.  What does that story about President Trump's high school years have to to with this topic?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 36

IMHO, Der Trumpers lack of ability to function in a position of responsibility is congenital. When he was in highschool, his classmates elected him class leader because eve nthen he knew how to sell himself. Within a week, the School had to step in and remove him from "office" for non-performance. He hadn't done anything WRONG, he just HADN'T DONE ANYTHING AT ALL.  Now we're watching a repeat as he manages to fail at everything we need a President for. But he can still sell himself to those who don't expect much.

Kudos
Views