Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Science Explains Deep Political Polarization

Message 1 of 36

@phyllisc6781 wrote:

@ChasKy53—Isn’t feigning respect for those who support the abhorrent called hypocrisy?

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Yep, and then those hypocrites are offered jobs in the Trump administration -- Trump, the man who spent years hurling insults at the then-sitting President, calling him a Muslim from Kenya, and who still to this day hurls insults at those who oppose his policy, while the rest of us are supposed to believe that the political discourse in this country is solely the fault of people that post here, rather than demanding a top-down example-setter.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 36

@ChasKy53—Isn’t feigning respect for those who support the abhorrent called hypocrisy?

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 36

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Epster wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Perhaps a lack of reading comprehension is to blame? Or perhaps people will post insults on chat sites they wouldn't say to anyone face to face?

@ChasKy53

The article notes that the study showed people do indeed have difficulty getting a person's meaning from text alone, and that to truly understand one another, non-verbal clues are necessary.

But here we are, right? 

So let's discuss how we think we can be better understood in this format. Smiley Happy

You stated: "the study showed people do indeed have difficulty getting a person's meaning from text alone"   AND    "that to truly understand one another, non-verbal clues are necessary".  Well, in a text based format, "non verbal clues" can only mean more text, pictures, or text based sources. So according to that, there is no hope of getting anyone to understand you here.

(snip)

I deeply wish that America's people weren't so politically polarized, all aren't, but there is great division. I simply accept that there is little or nothing that I can do about it.

@ChasKy53  I disagree. While non-verbal clues are next to impossible to deliver via text, we can ask respectful questions rather than make angry assertions about what someone has written. We can choose to be kind rather than jump on someone over misunderstanding (like what was just done to me on another thread). Respectfulness is not weakness. Respectfulness is not giving up or giving in. Instead, respectfulness is an opening. We need that. And we can help create that one un-divisive, respectful post at a time. Smiley Happy

dreamer.jpg

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 36

@Epster wrote:

@alferdpacker  My asking for clarification of your sloppy language was not a trap.

I have long thought that you post here simply to stir things up. Thanks for saying as much.

Go in peace.

Addendum: Ah, I see you edited your post and changed your meaning regarding the trap. Welp, still  ... go in peace.

It's far simpler than that - trump is evil in word and deed.

I cannot in good conscience do other than be in opposition to trump and his cabal/klan of inhumanity, dishonesty, and corruption.

I saw how republicans were/are deep inside when nixon's felonious actions were supported and ford perfidiously pardoned a man who fully deserved to be tried,convicted and sentenced to a term in prison - in the best interests of this nation of law.

Either country is more important or party is more important.

I decided what was more important a little over forty years ago.

Consider that - everything Hitler did in Germany was "legal".

Should trump to be allowed to do morally and ethically bankrupt - but technically "legal" things here and now?

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 36

@Epster wrote:

@gruffstuff Tossing around terms like Nazis is detrimental to peaceful conversation. You don't want that, do you? If so, why are you posting to this thread? No, I think what you are saying is not that these people are wrong but that their ideas are not yours. Well, OK. But behind the ideas that you are so sure are wrong* are people --Americans-- who vote, who love, who dream, who pay taxes and who want the best for their family and their community. To build a bridge of understanding we start with choosing commonality. 

We are better than this divide. We are stronger, more fair, more compassionate, too. Or at least we can choose to be. Smiley Happy

Respecting other people actually brings you respect. That's the secret to this. Smiley Happy

I agree with gruffstuff.  If people display Nazi beliefs or White Supremacist beliefs here in this forum or out on the streets, I could care less if they think what I say is disrespectful or not, I am going to tell them how wrong they are, how wrong their beliefs are, and how unacceptable their beliefs are.  I could care less if a Nazi or a White Supremacist likes what I say or not.  I refuse to show any respect for such vile individuals.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 36

@alferdpacker wrote:

I'm of the opinion that the deep political polarization is a very good thing that I very sincerely hope will result in trump's removal from office.

I'm of the opinion that trying to reduce the polarization is a disservice to the nation.

AGREED !!!!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 36

@Epster wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Perhaps a lack of reading comprehension is to blame? Or perhaps people will post insults on chat sites they wouldn't say to anyone face to face?

@ChasKy53

The article notes that the study showed people do indeed have difficulty getting a person's meaning from text alone, and that to truly understand one another, non-verbal clues are necessary.

But here we are, right? 

So let's discuss how we think we can be better understood in this format. Smiley Happy

You stated: "the study showed people do indeed have difficulty getting a person's meaning from text alone"   AND    "that to truly understand one another, non-verbal clues are necessary".  Well, in a text based format, "non verbal clues" can only mean more text, pictures, or text based sources. So according to that, there is no hope of getting anyone to understand you here.

No matter how well "understood" one is in this text format, some simply will not consider what is stated, no matter how factual it may be. There are a few so radical to the right here that they have never considered anything stated from anyone who they perceive as being from the left. It is hard to reason with anyone who only listens to FOX and Breitbart as their main information sources. To any rational person, both FOX News and Breitbart are not real news, they are both opinion based and designed to promote a far right political agenda. Those two sources have even convinced some that all other news sources are "fake news", which defies reality.

To some "being understood" is simply getting someone else to agree. That is not reality either.

I deeply wish that America's people weren't so politically polarized, all aren't, but there is great division. I simply accept that there is little or nothing that I can do about it.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 36

@gruffstuff Tossing around terms like Nazis is detrimental to peaceful conversation. You don't want that, do you? If so, why are you posting to this thread? No, I think what you are saying is not that these people are wrong but that their ideas are not yours. Well, OK. But behind the ideas that you are so sure are wrong* are people --Americans-- who vote, who love, who dream, who pay taxes and who want the best for their family and their community. To build a bridge of understanding we start with choosing commonality. 

We are better than this divide. We are stronger, more fair, more compassionate, too. Or at least we can choose to be. Smiley Happy

Respecting other people actually brings you respect. That's the secret to this. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 36

Or so I think, anyway.

I understand what you're saying but I'm not respecting people or ideas that are wrong, because it gives them and their ideas  respectability.

I'm not respecting Nazis for example because you know they have free speech and everyone has their own opinion, I've done that all my life, I'm done doing that.

I'm going to be like my parents and their parents and brothers and sisters and fight the Nazis, and there is no comparison, I'm not going to storm the beach in Normandy or fight my way up the hill at Anzio, but I'm will speak up and I will vote.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 36

@gruffstuff  Well of course, you have your views and opinions. It's excellent to form one's own view, and even, I would go so far to say, a gift you offer to the American people. Even if I disagree with your view, I think you forming your own opinions is a great thing.

Expressing them with respectful conviction is also good. Being able to express them here without being attacked, would also be a great thing. Smiley Happy

For when we are treated with respect, we tend to return it. When we feel we are heard, we tend to listen. But when we pull people out of their car and beat them for having an opposing opinion, and so forth, we not only do democracy a disservice, we only manage to push people away and their thoughts underground. 

If I call you a heathen pig for having XYZ belief, you and I will soon stop talking. But if we keep talking respectfully, you and I will end up with an enhanced understanding of the American on the other side of the pixels (more importantly: that American's needs). That's a prize well worth respect.

Or so I think, anyway. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors