Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Science Explains Deep Political Polarization

 

It is what it is but it's not what it seems --U2 lyric

 

Why is it conservatives and liberals have such apparent difficulty hearing one another, listening to one another, understanding one another?

 

No surprise here, but: guess what? There was a recent study about this issue. 🙂

gop dem.jpg

 

 

 

There may be more to the phrase “the voice of reason” than meets the ear. When it comes to controversial ideas, a person's voice is more persuasive than the written word, according to a new study.

 

In “The Humanizing Voice: Speech Can Reveal, and Text Conceal, The Presence of a Thoughtful Mind in The ...” in a recent issue of Psychological Science, Juliana Schroeder of the University of California at Berkeley and faculty at the University of Chicago conducted several experiments exposing volunteers to ideas they agreed or disagreed with. In one, about 300 people watched, listened to or read arguments about war, abortion or music (country or rap — genres people tend to have strong feelings about).

 

Afterward, the volunteers were asked to judge the person who communicated the argument. Those who were exposed to someone they disagreed with tended to “dehumanize” the communicator. That is, they regarded the person as “having a diminished capacity to either think or feel.” However, those who listened to the argument, either in a video or audio file, were less dismissive than those who read a transcript of the opposing opinion.

 

Beliefs that are communicated by voice make the communicator seem more reasonable, even human, according to Schroeder, an assistant professor at Berkeley's Haas School of Business. But those same beliefs are stripped of the humanizing elements when the opinions are communicated on a piece of paper.

 

The research that forms the basis of the study began with a newspaper article, she said.

 

“One of us read a speech excerpt that was printed in a newspaper from a politician with whom he strongly disagreed,” Schroeder said in an email to The Washington Post. “The next week, he heard the exact same speech clip playing on a radio station. He was shocked by how different his reaction was toward the politician when he read the excerpt compared to when he heard it. When he read the statement, the politician seemed idiotic, but when he heard it spoken, the politician actually sounded reasonable.”

 

 

(snip)

 

“When two people hold different beliefs, there is a tendency not only to recognize a difference of opinion but also to denigrate the mind of one's opposition,” the study's authors wrote. “Because another person's mind cannot be experienced directly, its quality must be inferred from indirect cues.” Those cues, involving the many characteristics of the human voice, are absent in written communication.

 

 

From here, where you can read the entire article.

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Hmm—I see, but I disagreed with Bush, but could stand to listen to him. Ditto Reagan—but, I listen to trump and my concern for my country multiplies with every breath, every word, every lie. My pulse quickens as I hear him lie, twist, and manipulate.

 

I understand the psychology—makes sense—we are who we are from birth,  to an extent.   

 

But trump has made what is a natural difference of opinion into much more than a mere division—he is the grest divider—the difference of opinion is now an abyss.

 

He has done more though—he has threatened the sanctity and security of this nation and her people.

 

That isn’t psychological—that’s fact. 

There comes a time when it isn’t about politics.  This is about our country, morality, real people who are suffering and what our country once—less than one year ago—stood for.

 

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Honored Social Butterfly

IMHO, Der Trumpers lack of ability to function in a position of responsibility is congenital. When he was in highschool, his classmates elected him class leader because eve nthen he knew how to sell himself. Within a week, the School had to step in and remove him from "office" for non-performance. He hadn't done anything WRONG, he just HADN'T DONE ANYTHING AT ALL.  Now we're watching a repeat as he manages to fail at everything we need a President for. But he can still sell himself to those who don't expect much.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66  Is there some sort of secret butterfly designation for going off-topic the most? If not, I am baffled at your response.  What does that story about President Trump's high school years have to to with this topic?

 

Reminder: this topic is about how the written word is a less successful avenue for discussing things with persons holding opposing political beliefs, and that face to face discussions fare better.

 

Do you have anything to add to this topic?

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly


@Epster wrote:

 

 

Reminder: this topic is about how the written word is a less successful avenue for discussing things with persons holding opposing political beliefs, and that face to face discussions fare better.

 

Do you have anything to add to this topic?

 


Perhaps a lack of reading comprehension is to blame? Or perhaps people will post insults on chat sites they wouldn't say to anyone face to face?

 

If one really thinks that written word is not a successful way to discuss politics then why come to a political chat site? Anyone thinking that face to face is better should maybe stick to that I guess.

 

I think a lot of what causes polarization is the right wing propaganda machine created by Murdock, Ailes, the Kochs, Bannon and others. If people wouldn't believe their bull feces we would have less polarization.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

 

Perhaps a lack of reading comprehension is to blame? Or perhaps people will post insults on chat sites they wouldn't say to anyone face to face?

 

@ChasKy53

 

The article notes that the study showed people do indeed have difficulty getting a person's meaning from text alone, and that to truly understand one another, non-verbal clues are necessary.

 

But here we are, right? 

 

So let's discuss how we think we can be better understood in this format. 🙂

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly


@Epster wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

 

Perhaps a lack of reading comprehension is to blame? Or perhaps people will post insults on chat sites they wouldn't say to anyone face to face?

 

@ChasKy53

 

The article notes that the study showed people do indeed have difficulty getting a person's meaning from text alone, and that to truly understand one another, non-verbal clues are necessary.

 

But here we are, right? 

 

So let's discuss how we think we can be better understood in this format. 🙂

 


You stated: "the study showed people do indeed have difficulty getting a person's meaning from text alone"   AND    "that to truly understand one another, non-verbal clues are necessary".  Well, in a text based format, "non verbal clues" can only mean more text, pictures, or text based sources. So according to that, there is no hope of getting anyone to understand you here.

 

No matter how well "understood" one is in this text format, some simply will not consider what is stated, no matter how factual it may be. There are a few so radical to the right here that they have never considered anything stated from anyone who they perceive as being from the left. It is hard to reason with anyone who only listens to FOX and Breitbart as their main information sources. To any rational person, both FOX News and Breitbart are not real news, they are both opinion based and designed to promote a far right political agenda. Those two sources have even convinced some that all other news sources are "fake news", which defies reality.

 

To some "being understood" is simply getting someone else to agree. That is not reality either.

 

I deeply wish that America's people weren't so politically polarized, all aren't, but there is great division. I simply accept that there is little or nothing that I can do about it.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Esteemed Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53—Isn’t feigning respect for those who support the abhorrent called hypocrisy?

 

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Esteemed Social Butterfly


@phyllisc6781 wrote:

@ChasKy53—Isn’t feigning respect for those who support the abhorrent called hypocrisy?

 

Gee, I miss having a real president!


Yep, and then those hypocrites are offered jobs in the Trump administration -- Trump, the man who spent years hurling insults at the then-sitting President, calling him a Muslim from Kenya, and who still to this day hurls insults at those who oppose his policy, while the rest of us are supposed to believe that the political discourse in this country is solely the fault of people that post here, rather than demanding a top-down example-setter.

 

 

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Epster wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

 

Perhaps a lack of reading comprehension is to blame? Or perhaps people will post insults on chat sites they wouldn't say to anyone face to face?

 

@ChasKy53

 

The article notes that the study showed people do indeed have difficulty getting a person's meaning from text alone, and that to truly understand one another, non-verbal clues are necessary.

 

But here we are, right? 

 

So let's discuss how we think we can be better understood in this format. 🙂

 


You stated: "the study showed people do indeed have difficulty getting a person's meaning from text alone"   AND    "that to truly understand one another, non-verbal clues are necessary".  Well, in a text based format, "non verbal clues" can only mean more text, pictures, or text based sources. So according to that, there is no hope of getting anyone to understand you here.

 

  (snip)

 

I deeply wish that America's people weren't so politically polarized, all aren't, but there is great division. I simply accept that there is little or nothing that I can do about it.


@ChasKy53  I disagree. While non-verbal clues are next to impossible to deliver via text, we can ask respectful questions rather than make angry assertions about what someone has written. We can choose to be kind rather than jump on someone over misunderstanding (like what was just done to me on another thread). Respectfulness is not weakness. Respectfulness is not giving up or giving in. Instead, respectfulness is an opening. We need that. And we can help create that one un-divisive, respectful post at a time. 🙂

 

dreamer.jpg

 

 

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
584 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

 

@alferdpacker  See my previous post. I just answered your question in a response to @ChasKy53..

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly


@Epster wrote:

 

@alferdpacker  See my previous post. I just aswered your question in a response to @ChasKy53..


Fascinating allegation...

 

I'll wait for links to proved and validated facts to be posted...

 

 

44>dolt45
0 Kudos
707 Views
7
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@alferdpacker wrote:

@Epster wrote:

 

@alferdpacker  See my previous post. I just aswered your question in a response to @ChasKy53..


Fascinating allegation...

 

I'll wait for links to proved and validated facts to be posted...

 

 


@alferdpacker  Uh ... huh? OK. I'll try a little active listening. Here's what I get out of what you just posted: "Egad, woman, you scare me. I don't want to chew the fat with you. Plus, you're a Republican, so I can't." 

 

Correct whatever I got wrong, please.

 

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

 


@Epster wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

@Epster wrote:

 

@alferdpacker  See my previous post. I just aswered your question in a response to @ChasKy53..


Fascinating allegation...

 

I'll wait for links to proved and validated facts to be posted...

 

 


@alferdpacker  Uh ... huh? OK. I'll try a little active listening. Here's what I get out of what you just posted:

 

Egad, woman, you scare me. Nope - not in the least - however, extreme fringe righties that may be armed are an extremely good reason for reasonable concern - and appropriate measures... 

However, there is a distinct probability that you scare and intimidate many republican not-men...

 

I don't want to chew the fat with you. You may be onto something there, considering that social chit-chat, politics, and advertising are society's most popular forms of legalized lying...

There are other sites and topics much better suited to chewing the fat and social chit-chat - things I've never been at all fond of...

 

Plus, you're a Republican, so I can't   Nope - not quite.  Would you deliberately and willingly want to talk to either Roy Moore - a republican - or Jerry Sandusky also a registered republican when he "befriended" young boys, or would something about their personalities cause you to feel distaste and revulsion?  

republicans - well - most of them don't cause me to feel distaste and revulsion - there simply is no logical and rational reason to converse with them -  given that I never enjoyed engaging in social chit-chat...

Post dissent from their statements and opinions here?  

Sure, why not?

 

 

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

 

@alferdpacker OK, some more active listening: 

 

Are you assuming I'm an extremist? Hm. Would that be because I grew up hunting on an Indian reservation and know how to handle a weapon, how to gut a deer and how to butcher a wild turkey? Or because I voted for Trump? 

 

(Side note: mostly I scare women. Truth.)

 

About the chewing of the fat: my bad language there. I'm with you: I detest small talk. What I really would like to see us do here is drop the constant distrust and fisticuffs and learn to hear one another. Because all my life I've been gifted by the viewpoints, understandings and opinions of persons from another religion, social standing, vocation and political creed, but I find here there is very little of that, and it troubles me. 

 

I won't comment on Roy Moore. He hasn't been charged, tried or convicted. Except in the court of public opinion. Which stinks to high heaven, IMHO. I will say that I would not want to be in the same room, nor would I wish to have an audience with Mr Sandusky. That said, I think we can pull up plenty of names of registered Democrats who have been convicted of misdeeds. Their misdeeds are not the result of their voting habits. So let's drop that BS line of patter, OK? It gets us nowhere.

 

And of course it's fine if all you want to do is post whatever are the talking points du jour, or play Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robot with your Republican counterpoints here. Really: go play.

 

It's just that I hope for something better. I hope for real dialogue. Respectful. Earnest discussion, sharing, opining. It is possible to fully disagree and be fully respectful.

 

 

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

I didn't accuse you of being an extremist.  

I made statements that allowed you to perform the conflation in your own mind.

Yes - it was a set up of sorts...

 

Do I think you're an extremist?  No - I don't.  

 

See how a combination of deliberate phrasing on my part and your conflation created something that never existed?

 

I believe "establishing dialogue" will create imaginary solutions to non-existent issues.

 

Nice that you grew up doing much the same sort of things that I did - I was born and raised on a relatively rural and remote sheep and cattle ranch on the Uncompahgre Mesa until I was 12, when I moved to Denver, lived with my aunt, and got to go to what was at the time the public school system with the highest academic achievement levels in the state. 

 

I was fortunate.

 

I'm of the opinion that the deep political polarization is a very good thing that I very sincerely hope will result in trump's removal from office.

I'm of the opinion that trying to reduce the polarization is a disservice to the nation.

 

 

44>dolt45
0 Kudos
659 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@alferdpacker wrote:

 

 

I'm of the opinion that the deep political polarization is a very good thing that I very sincerely hope will result in trump's removal from office.

I'm of the opinion that trying to reduce the polarization is a disservice to the nation.

 


AGREED !!!!


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

 

 

@alferdpacker  My asking for clarification of your sloppy language was not a trap.

 

I have long thought that you post here simply to stir things up. Thanks for saying as much.

 

Go in peace.

 

Addendum: Ah, I see you edited your post and changed your meaning regarding the trap. Welp, still  ... go in peace.

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
621 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Epster wrote:

 

 

@alferdpacker  My asking for clarification of your sloppy language was not a trap.

 

I have long thought that you post here simply to stir things up. Thanks for saying as much.

 

Go in peace.

 

Addendum: Ah, I see you edited your post and changed your meaning regarding the trap. Welp, still  ... go in peace.

 


It's far simpler than that - trump is evil in word and deed.

 

I cannot in good conscience do other than be in opposition to trump and his cabal/klan of inhumanity, dishonesty, and corruption.

 

I saw how republicans were/are deep inside when nixon's felonious actions were supported and ford perfidiously pardoned a man who fully deserved to be tried,convicted and sentenced to a term in prison - in the best interests of this nation of law.

 

Either country is more important or party is more important.

 

I decided what was more important a little over forty years ago.

 

Consider that - everything Hitler did in Germany was "legal".

 

Should trump to be allowed to do morally and ethically bankrupt - but technically "legal" things here and now?

 

 

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly


@Epster wrote:

@Olderscout66  Is there some sort of secret butterfly designation for going off-topic the most? If not, I am baffled at your response.  What does that story about President Trump's high school years have to to with this topic?

 

Reminder: this topic is about how the written word is a less successful avenue for discussing things with persons holding opposing political beliefs, and that face to face discussions fare better.

 

Do you have anything to add to this topic?

 

 


Is that an attempt to - as the article you cited in the original post said - an attempt to "dehumanise", "demean", and disrespect - and therefore quite unsuccessfully attempt to invalidate the accuracy of the fact that Olderscout66 posted - one that gave a revealing and accurate view into the nature of trump's job performance and management techniques in his youth?

 

Shouldn't that fact be discussed, rather than attempting a gratuitous attack upon valid fact?

 

 

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly


@alferdpacker wrote:

 


Is that an attempt to - as the article you cited in the original post said - and attempt to "dehumanise", "demean", and distrspect 

 

Shouldn't that fact be discussed, rather than making a gratuitous attack upon valid fact?

 

 @alferdpacker Nope, not a whit. President Trump is not the topic here. If someone wants to discuss another topic, they are free to start a separate thread. I started this thread because I wanted to discuss ways we could try to better communicate on the political forum. 

 

 


"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly


@Epster wrote:

 I started this thread because I wanted to discuss ways we could try to better communicate on the political forum. 

 

 



@Epster- at this point it's quite obvious that the vast majority of posters here are quite effectively and without much in the way of equivocation managing to quite unambiguously communicate their beliefs, opinions, and feelings of a political nature...

 

It appears to me - and - just perhaps to some other posters here as well - that an undisclosed politically ulterior motive is at play here...

 

 

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

@alferdpacker I couldn't disagree with you more about communication on this board. Effective communication requires more than constant postulation. To be effective, a communication must be understood. 

 

Do I understand you? I doubt it. Do you understand me? Clearly not. Your suspicion that I'm posting here operating as a politico rather than the schoolmarm I truly am proved that point. 

 

To be frank, I personally find the political boards nearly impossible to read due to the tendency of the many to reduce each topic to partisan character assassination (as well as participant character assassination). Ain't nobody got time for that. 🙂 (Well, nobody who seeks to spend their time in productive pursuit, anyway)

 

So then what is being accomplished here? The spending of time. Do we hope for more? I do. Thus this topic.

 

🙂

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly


@Epster wrote:

@alferdpacker I couldn't disagree with you more about communication on this board. Effective communication requires more than constant postulation. To be effective, a communication must be understood. 

 

Do I understand you? I doubt it. Do you understand me? Clearly not. Your suspicion that I'm posting here operating as a politico rather than the schoolmarm I truly am proved that point. 

 

To be frank, I personally find the political boards nearly impossible to read due to the tendency of the many to reduce each topic to partisan character assassination (as well as participant character assassination). Ain't nobody got time for that. 🙂 (Well, nobody who seeks to spend their time in productive pursuit, anyway)

 

So then what is being accomplished here? The spending of time. Do we hope for more? I do. Thus this topic.

 

🙂

 

 

So - will the topic deal with applying hard cold scientific realities to political thought and discussion, and rejecting non-reality?

 

 


44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

 

Science has discovered basic differences in brain structure that influence and determine - who we are - what we are - and how we think.

 

Psychology - a non-science - is useful and interesting - but is not science.

 

Science has findings that suggest that just as we are born male or female - and there's now absolutely no doubt that we are born gay - straight - or bi - we may also be born with a predisposition toward being liberal or conservative.

 

Read, listen, and learn some really interesting facts that describe aspects of the real world that some of us will find fascinating - others find threatening - and that some will always persist in denying...

 

Gay brains structured like those of the opposite sex | New Scientist

(can't "make a choice" and "regrow" those sructures - those developed in utero)

 

How Conservative Brains Are Wired Differently and What This Means for Our Politics | Alternet

 

Liberal Brains Are Different from Conservative Brains, with Psychiatrist Gail Saltz | Big Think

 

This suggests that "coming together to talk" may help with some aspects of conflicts and disagreement - but certainly will not succeed in changing the basic brain structure that makes us who and what we are.

 

Point of fact - some people cannot be "talked to" - "treated" - and subsequently be made safe to be free in society - they must be kept away from society in order that they they cannot harm members of society.

There are an unfortunate number who have a perceptual irregularity - they are certain that fulfilling their wishes and desires is of greater importance than any aspect of society or well being of any members of society - and any laws to the contrary.

 

The fact that you may or may not disagree - have a different opinion/belief - or that holes may be picked in the content of my post - does not constitute proof that those scientific findings are incorrect - in the long run scientific facts remain facts - just as evolution is every bit as much a fact of science as gravity - these findings indicate that people are born with a predisposition toward liberalism or conservatism.

 

So - is trump's malignant narcissism a congenital condition?

 

Scientific proof for?   

 

Scientific proof against?

 

trump's malignant narcissism remains a significant threat to the nation's future well being.

 

 

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

 

@alferdpacker  That's probably the calmest, most considerate, rational and readable response I've ever seen you post. Kudos.

 

And Merry Christmas. 🙂

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
1,540 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Epster wrote:

 

@alferdpacker  That's probably the calmest, most considerate, rational and readable response I've ever seen you post. Kudos.

 

And Merry Christmas. 🙂

 

 


Science is composed of groups of fact.   

 

Fact does not need support or advocacy.   

 

It IS.

 

For example...

 

 

And there was light.png

 

 

 

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

divided.png

 

 

 

Another story snippet:

 

 

Schroeder thinks her research can help explain — and maybe alleviate — the rise in polarizing political opinions.

 

“In some ways, technology is making more of our interactions text-based,” Schroeder said. “Many people receive the majority of their news from social media​ now. This can be dehumanizing, and may increase polarization. It's easy to imagine how this could become cyclical; dehumanization leading to more polarization leading to more dehumanization.”

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Honored Social Butterfly

Science Explains Deep Political Polarization

 

Well I agree with the dehumanization observation, but I don't think that comes from where people receive their news. We had plenty of human behavior that was dehumanizing before social media came along. Just in the US the indigenous people genocide, slavery, oppressive conditions is the work place, child labor, the inferior status of women at the hands of men, Jim Crow and now how skin color and the wrong religion has become the new yellow star of David.

 

Most of the listed above just goes back to the drive to reduce the cost of labor and the blow back from pitting people against each other for profit.

 

As bad as the past was there is more to come, new waves of dislocation, of the masses fighting over scraps, the drive to reduce the cost of labor continues, off shore production,  automation, artificial intelligence, have already taken their toll and there is more, much more to come. Dislocations we haven't seen in this country since the transition from an agrarian  society to an industrial society.

 

Then there is the problem of climate change, and the human conflicts that arise as climate change bottlenecks every living thing on earth.

 

Our response as a nation is denial, we won't even acknowledge these problems much less prepare for them.

 

As the Bob Dylan song goes ............ A hard rain is going to fall.

 

That won't come from social media, though social media will be used to protect the haves from the have nots.

 

Honored Social Butterfly


@gruffstuff wrote:

Science Explains Deep Political Polarization

 

Well I agree with the dehumanization observation, but I don't think that comes from where people receive their news. We had plenty of human behavior that was dehumanizing before social media came along. Just in the US the indigenous people genocide, slavery, oppressive conditions is the work place, child labor, the inferior status of women at the hands of men, Jim Crow and now how skin color and the wrong religion has become the new yellow star of David.

 

Most of the listed above just goes back to the drive to reduce the cost of labor and the blow back from pitting people against each other for profit.

 

As bad as the past was there is more to come, new waves of dislocation, of the masses fighting over scraps, the drive to reduce the cost of labor continues, off shore production,  automation, artificial intelligence, have already taken their toll and there is more, much more to come. Dislocations we haven't seen in this country since the transition from an agrarian  society to an industrial society.

 

Then there is the problem of climate change, and the human conflicts that arise as climate change bottlenecks every living thing on earth.

 

Our response as a nation is denial, we won't even acknowledge these problems much less prepare for them.

 

As the Bob Dylan song goes ............ A hard rain is going to fall.

 

That won't come from social media, though social media will be used to protect the haves from the have nots.

 


@gruffstuff  Thank you for this post. Good stuff.

 

Yes, the money changers and power brokers are in it for themselves, and through social media, more than ever, we are their merchandise. This is true even of the AARP site (clickity click click click, ya'll). Even my bank tracks me now: to use their free bill pay, I must allow it. You think they need to know my online activity in order to distribute funds? No: they collect and sell data.

 

OK, a wee rant. 🙂 Sorry. 😉

 

Yes, I agree: the American people are, by and large, in denial. We see that in the obesity epidemic: we know what causes it, yet we do not take the steps to help ourselves. We see that in the fact that few Americans can pull $400 out of savings for an emergency. (This is, at least for many, due to financial mismanagement.) We see it in the way we batter one another online: so much of what we claim are our opinions have actually been fed to us by our news watching and online habits. We let the system talk at us, but are losing the ability to talk with one another, it seems. 

 

Since online political forums stoke political divisiveness, and divided we fall, who is behind this? Right. It ain't the little guy: he's just the one doing the dance. 

 

People remember not what you say, after all, but how you made them feel. This is why political division is such a powerful weapon against the people.

 

My question, then, is this: are we going to go down without a fight? Can't we decide instead to knit ourselves back together as a people? Understanding and allowing for an opposing view is not the same thing as adopting it. If we truly stand for diversity, wouldn't that include respectfully allowing divergent thought?

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
0 Kudos
610 Views
5
Report
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png