Stay Safe During Summer Storms with Disaster Preparedness Tips on AARP Live at 10 p.m. ET. Watch Now!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Sam's clubs close same day as $11 raise and bonus

Message 11 of 87

BigLib wrote:

Show me where I ever said they weren't complying with federal law. You're only saying that now because you painted yourself in a corner with post #46 about employees getting 60 days of pay. And let's be clear, not all of them are getting 60 days - SOME are getting 60 days of pay. You're only mentioning the federal law now because *I* brought it up, and blew up your meme.

But by all means, back up your current assertion that I said they are failing to comply with federal law.

It does appear that you keep wanting to make this into an argument.  And you are the one who brought up the 60 day notice as required by federal law.  But they are complying with this by paying employees for the next 60 days...regardless of how you put it.

Perhaps you need to back up your post where you are say only some are being paid for the next 60 days.  Further, I do gather that you have something against the corporation, that seems to be the liberal mantra, but no doubt you also shop at either the club or Walmart. 

I really don't care either way what the company is doing since we have mostly bought groceries at out local Walmart and various items at Sam's where we sometimes find them cheaper.  Other than that, we have a regional supermarket chain, H.E.B., that we find is competitive with Walmart. 

We shop with our pocketbook rather than the political correctness that is evidenced here.  I buy from Walmart, Sam's, Ebay, Amazon, or wherever I get the best price or whatever I'm looking for. 

As far as this discussion, I gather that you are not interested in civil discussion, so I have better things to do rather than engage in argumentative posts. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 87

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

You are making their actions as being nefarious and not complying with federal law. 

Show me where I ever said they weren't complying with federal law. You're only saying that now because you painted yourself in a corner with post #46 about employees getting 60 days of pay. And let's be clear, not all of them are getting 60 days - SOME are getting 60 days of pay. You're only mentioning the federal law now because *I* brought it up, and blew up your meme.

But by all means, back up your current assertion that I said they are failing to comply with federal law.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (8 pages of lies and growing)

Message 13 of 87

gruffstuff wrote:

I used to use Sam's Club, I used it for many years, but for me at least the pricing on the things I bought just turned Sam's Club into a Walmart with a membership fee I had to drive forty minutes to get to.

So I stop paying the membership fee and I stopped going to Sam's Club.

We have to drive a distance to the closest Sam's Club, but it's because we can obtain over the counter medicines at a much lower cost.  Also, even items like coffee is several dollars cheaper than the same quantity and name at local Walmart and other stores.  Sam's and Costco are a short distance from each other, but after going through both, we decided on Sam's since we didn't care paying a fee to each....

Message 14 of 87

BigLib wrote:

They're doing it because it's the LAW. If you're so "aware" of these things, then why are you still trying to pass it off as some sort of benevolent gift from the Waltons. That shot down one of your assertions. Let's blast another.

"About 10 to 12 of the stores are slated to be closed temporarily as the retailer converts them to regional distributional centers to help fulfill online purchases. Workers previously employed at those sites are not guaranteed one of the new positions."

I don't recall saying that they are doing anything because they care of their employees.  Just an assumption on your part to engage in a partisan type argument.  I did effectively say that they are complying with the law by paying them for the next 60 days even though they are terminated. 

You are making their actions as being nefarious and not complying with federal law.  The question is why yours and others indignation about their closing down locations while other companies have done even worse.  Of course because it's wicked and selfish Walmart....RIGHT?  I bet many of you even mostly shop there.

Message 15 of 87

ChasKy53 wrote:

Isn't it fun messing with the CONs?  They're so easy !!!  Grammatical and spelling errors out the wazoo !!!

Vincente Fox said it about liddle donnie - and it is unquestionably true and factual - I suggest that it also accurately applies to the bleephole that is the corporation of Walmart and it's owners.

Those who are defending corporate abominations?

We each get to make up our own minds, don't we?

Have pity for Melania - she hasn't yet got rid of that ugly fat.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 87

A coincidence?    Not even maybe.

The timing of the closings and a failure to give advance notice to the employees?

It is no coincidence.

They held the closings off until after the tax cuts.

I used to use Sam's Club, I used it for many years, but for me at least the pricing on the things I bought just turned Sam's Club into a Walmart with a membership fee I had to drive forty minutes to get to.

So I stop paying the membership fee and I stopped going to Sam's Club.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 87

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

BigLib wrote:

And then to tout that the fired employees are getting 60 days pay, as if the Waltons are doing it because they're upstanding people. Uh huh. Ever heard of the WARN Act? HERE'S A LINK!

Still attempting to find fault.  At least Sam's is giving the employees a 60 day salary as severance to cover the required notice.  Yet you continue to find fault with these closings. 

And yes, I'm aware that a company is required to give notice when closing down a company or location.  I do read a lot and pay attention to what is going on.  You apparently are more interested in being argumentative than civil discussion.  I do

They're doing it because it's the LAW. If you're so "aware" of these things, then why are you still trying to pass it off as some sort of benevolent gift from the Waltons. That shot down one of your assertions. Let's blast another.

"About 10 to 12 of the stores are slated to be closed temporarily as the retailer converts them to regional distributional centers to help fulfill online purchases. Workers previously employed at those sites are not guaranteed one of the new positions."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/01/11/sams-club-closing-dozens-stores-reports-say/10249860...

That shoots down another of your assertions. Ironic how you complain that proving the claims you make are false is being "argumentative." Must be the only defense left when one gets caught peddling fake news.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (8 pages of lies and growing)
Highlighted

Message 18 of 87

phyllisc6781 wrote:

As I’ve mentioned before, I live in an Appalachian area.

They closed our Sam’s Club yesterday. People here are devastated.

Our Reps. are asking the company to reconsider. This really hits the elderly and the poor,  who often take taxis to the store.

I'm sure that the elderly and poor can't afford to pay the membership fees associated with these membership clubs but are more prone to shop at Walmarts, etc.  Especially if they also can afford to take taxis to shop. 

I have my doubts about the content of your post regarding the elderly and poor for those reasons.  Also I have noted that there are more of the lower incomes at Walmart rather than at Sam's.

Message 19 of 87

BigLib wrote:

And then to tout that the fired employees are getting 60 days pay, as if the Waltons are doing it because they're upstanding people. Uh huh. Ever heard of the WARN Act? HERE'S A LINK!

Still attempting to find fault.  At least Sam's is giving the employees a 60 day salary as severance to cover the required notice.  Yet you continue to find fault with these closings. 

And yes, I'm aware that a company is required to give notice when closing down a company or location.  I do read a lot and pay attention to what is going on.  You apparently are more interested in being argumentative than civil discussion.  I do

Message 20 of 87

ChasKy53 wrote:

"All retail stores?  Really?  Costco pays around $17.50 an hour with benefits. I guess Walmart and others need to 'hit the hip', huh? Not only that but most of their workers are full time, with Walmart it's just the opposite.

Besides we are talking about regular retail stores, not membership clubs.  Costco is not an average retail store.

Job Title Costco Wholesale Salary
Front End (Cashier Assistant)$12.95/hr
Cashier Assistant$12.74/hr
Morning Stocker$13.10/hr
Supervisor$23.48/hr
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors