Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: SHOCKING NEW DNA STUDY

Message 91 of 136

This OP subject was based upon a report from "Liberty Counsel" - a legal group who, a couple of years ago, was an obvious failure at keeping their client, Kim Davis, a Kentucky court clerk, out of jail, and an equal failure at defending/supporting her "right" to deny marriage licenses to same sex couples in Rowan County, Kentucky.

Now it turns out that Kim Davis, who was originally represented by Liberty Counsel, still stands to lose at least one suit brought by a same sex couple she denied a marriage license to - and possibly more - should other couples she refused licenses to also wish to sue...

Same-Sex Couple Can Seek Damages From Kentucky Clerk: U.S. Appeals Court | Top News | US News

Don't think I'd consider selecting them to defend my dog if she growled when she heard thunder(yes, she does), and someone standing nearby irrationally reacted emotionally, fell, injured themselves, and blamed a "vicious dog". 

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 136

@BigLib wrote:

I've known plenty of women with all the "proper organs" who were never able to give birth, including through IVF treatments. I feel like I'm talking to Todd Akin.

==

And you are attempting to confuse the issue by bringing up those who are physically and naturally women with those who think they are women in a man's body.  That is not what has been said initially.

According to the thinking part, then if someone believes and feels they are something then they are?

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. . . FDR
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 136

@Olderscout66 wrote:

I was unfamiliar with "epigenetics", so I looked it up. Seems this is the science of changes in how the body reads the genetic code brought about by environmental factors - such as people who were gestating while their mothers experienced famine were less likely to develop diabetes, and the trait seemed to be heritable (pass to the children).

I'd suggest the reason Liberty is interested in this branch of science is entirely tied to the "brought about by environmental factors" bit which I'm sure they hope to use to bolster their fantasy that people can learn "the gay" and therefore can also "unlearn" it.

Exactly. And the way they "unlearn" it is to brainwash them, the same way they had religion brainwashed into them. Their religion is a learned behavior. Being attracted to who you're attracted to is what it is. Nature v. Nurture.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 136

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The Weisman study only offers an absence of proof, which is NOT a proof of absence.

--

Absence of proof which means there is no proof of anything from the study?  Meaning this can't be proved, nor disapproved.  So that leaves everything to opinion.  Based on the fact that mankind has been reproducing for thousands of years, then couldn't we say that not being gay is the normal condition? 

This has now gone from someone thinking they are someone else inside the wrong body to being gay?  And this topic was originally about the research of a group of scientists in Israel, transmitted via Liberty.  But getting Liberty involved contaminated that research?

Seems the only thing which has been proven is that Liberty has no idea what the study did.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 136

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The Weisman study only offers an absence of proof, which is NOT a proof of absence.

--

Absence of proof which means there is no proof of anything from the study?  Meaning this can't be proved, nor disapproved.  So that leaves everything to opinion.  Based on the fact that mankind has been reproducing for thousands of years, then couldn't we say that not being gay is the normal condition? 

This has now gone from someone thinking they are someone else inside the wrong body to being gay?  And this topic was originally about the research of a group of scientists in Israel, transmitted via Liberty.  But getting Liberty involved contaminated that research?

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. . . FDR
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 136

I was unfamiliar with "epigenetics", so I looked it up. Seems this is the science of changes in how the body reads the genetic code brought about by environmental factors - such as people who were gestating while their mothers experienced famine were less likely to develop diabetes, and the trait seemed to be heritable (pass to the children).

I'd suggest the reason Liberty is interested in this branch of science is entirely tied to the "brought about by environmental factors" bit which I'm sure they hope to use to bolster their fantasy that people can learn "the gay" and therefore can also "unlearn" it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 136

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

?

Following that logic, a woman who is unable to give birth is not a woman. Further along that logic, if a woman that is unable to give birth adopts a child, she can't call herself a Mother. Nice sentiment for Mother's Day.

Of course sarcastic replies from the Amen Corner.  Stands to reason that if someone doesn't have the proper organs to give birth can't do so.  Now you are going far out to include adoption?   Nothing said about being a mother, just giving birth.

You said (since you edited it out):

"So a man says that he is a woman in a man's body is he able to give birth?  What about that old cliché about someone thinking he is Napoleon?  Does that make him Napoleon?"

I've known plenty of women with all the "proper organs" who were never able to give birth, including through IVF treatments. I feel like I'm talking to Todd Akin.

You then went "far out" and introduced Napoleon complexes. However, your logic didn't extrapolate out. You define the female sex's worth by limiting it to her ability to give birth. Plenty of women give birth and are lousy Mothers. Plenty of Mothers never gave birth to the children they raised, and were never considered to be anything but that child's Mother.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 136

@pc6063 wrote:

AP-In fact, the article seems to be more hate mongering from the right.

I do remember that four or five years ago when I was teaching, scientists  were looking for tags on the DNA of people who were known homosexuals, so they're actually have been things published about DNA and homosexuality.   From your post, I have to assume that none were found?

Recent research has led some ucla scientists to look between the genes for clues about the differences between gay men and straight men.

Scientists find DNA differences between gay men and their straight twin brothers - LA Times

As yet nothing definitive is known about DNA, transgender issues, and sexual dysphoria issues - however - in situations where identifying as the opposite sex is not repressed - suicide rates are considerably lower.   

The unqualified success of Kim Petras' transition, among others, has led psychiatrists worldwide to allow children to identify based upon their feelings - and not society's dictates - with considerable success thus far.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 136

Scout--  I'm so glad you posted that. I knew there was a study that showed tags on DNA that showed people's sexual orientation was determined before birth. Thank you so much. When I first read those studies, they were still researching, now I know where that research went.  Makes me happy!

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 136

What Tex and the cryptochristians in Liberty are trying to say is Gay isn't a natural condition - same as they've been trying to say for generations.

Here's a bit from the LA Timeswriter Melissa Healy, 8 Oct 2015, that lacks the ambiguity of the Weisman study:

For men, new research suggests that clues to sexual orientation may lie not just in the genes, but in the spaces between the DNA, where molecular marks instruct genes when to turn on and off and how strongly to express themselves.

On Thursday, UCLA molecular biologist Tuck C. Ngun reported that in studying the genetic material of 47 pairs of identical male twins, he has identified "epigenetic marks" in nine areas of the human genome that are strongly linked to male homosexuality.

In individuals, said Ngun, the presence of these distinct molecular marks can predict homosexuality with an accuracy of close to 70%.

The Weisman study only offers an absence of proof, which is NOT a proof of absence. Others have found considerable evidence supporting the genetic basis for homosexuality, but I'm sure we'll continue to hear about folks whose research FAILS to find evidence using different techniques. GOPers will never question whether the problem is in the techniques that failed and continue to consider those failures a victory for their Science from The Bible.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors