From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: SESSION'S RELIGIOUS LIBERTY TASK FORCE; OH MY GOD!!!!!

Message 1 of 33

Religious law may be coming to America. But it’s not sharia; it’s Christian.

Much-dreaded “sharia law,” or something resembling it, may well be coming to the United States.

Just not in the form many Americans expected.

That is, the religiously motivated laws creeping into public policymaking aren’t based on the Koran, and they aren’t coming from mythical hard-line Islamists in, say, Dearborn, Mich. They’re coming from the White House, which wants to make it easier for hard-line Christians to impose their beliefs and practices on the rest of us.

A few days after declaring his intention to impose a religious test upon refugees so that Christians would be given priority, President Trump gave a bizarre speech at the National Prayer Breakfast. In between a plug for “The Apprentice” and boasts about his disastrous calls with heads of allied states, he made some less-noticed policy news.

He vowed to help blur the line between church and state by repealing the Johnson Amendment.

For those unfamiliar, this tax code provision bars tax-exempt entities such as churches and charitable organizations from participating in campaigns for or against political candidates. It dates to 1954, when it was signed by Republican President Dwight D. Eisenhower. It was not terribly controversial at the time.

The provision basically says that if you want to be exempted from paying taxes — meaning you are effectively subsidized by other taxpayers, who pay for your access to emergency services, roads and other government functions — you can’t be involved in partisan politics. You can’t, among other things, take tax-deductible donations from your worshippers and turn around and spend them on political campaigns.

That’s just the trade-off you agree to make.

Certain religious organizations, in particular those from the evangelical Christian community, have opposed this law in recent years. And during the campaign, Trump indicated he’d do his darnedest to get them what they really want: not the ability to endorse candidates from the pulpit — a practice that the IRS has already been ignoring — but the ability to funnel taxpayer-subsidized funds into the political process.

The president can’t “totally destroy” the law unilaterally, despite Trump’s pledge to do so; he’ll need action from Congress, but that may not be hard to secure these days. Republicans control both houses of Congress, and the most recent Republican platform included a commitment to repeal the Johnson Amendment.

Also, the Nation’s Sarah Posner published a leaked draft of an executive order that would require federal agencies to look the other way when private organizations discriminate based on religious beliefs. Coincidentally, these seem to primarily be religious beliefs held by conservative Christians.

More at the link above....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 33

@MIseker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

nctarheel:

In an obvious move to make the Evangelicals and CHRISTIANITY the religion of the land, Jeff Sessions has announced the formulation of a religious task force.

In Saudi Arabia they're known as the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice. Wonder what the name here will be.

yup. not part of the legal system but a team of harassers. that branch is the one that spawned ISIS. 

were yu to read Session's words yu would see that the protections are not limited to christians..although the idea of officially celebrating Satan's Birthday may not be on the table.

I may not be able to type, but i DO understand what I see. I read what sessions said. Ive read the constitution too, and the idea behind separation of church and state. So despite the typos, i can comprehend.  Obviously, you can't.

it was clearly the defense of the freedom of religion that he was addressing - you seem to have a problem comprehending THAT

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 33

@rk9152 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

nctarheel:

In an obvious move to make the Evangelicals and CHRISTIANITY the religion of the land, Jeff Sessions has announced the formulation of a religious task force.

In Saudi Arabia they're known as the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice. Wonder what the name here will be.

yup. not part of the legal system but a team of harassers. that branch is the one that spawned ISIS. 

were yu to read Session's words yu would see that the protections are not limited to christians..although the idea of officially celebrating Satan's Birthday may not be on the table.

I may not be able to type, but i DO understand what I see. I read what sessions said. Ive read the constitution too, and the idea behind separation of church and state. So despite the typos, i can comprehend.  Obviously, you can't.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 33

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

How about we protect the rights of Christians regardless of the color of their skin?

How about you admit the attack was because the victims were BLACK, and NOBODY in America has been attacked and killed BECAUSE they were Christian

The issue is about religion yet you just have to put racism in there.

How about protecting the religious freedom of PEOPLE - can you handle that.

How about you stop pretending white christians are being attacked?

Again your need for racism.

I have not seen Fox here but since you brought then up, should "no go zones" be protected? No Go Zones do not exist outside the realm of FoxNews where the imaginary becomes terrifyingly real for Foxbots

So then we do not have to be concerned with the no go zones that you brought into the discussion.

And of course your bias - do "fundies" have freedom of religion? Certainly - what they do NOT have is freedom to inflict their religion on others, but Der Trumper is out to change that with his CHRISTIAN Knights of Order Task Force.

I do not recall a group called "CHRISTIAN Knights of Order Task Force". Can you substantiate it or is it just another of your "those" facts?

Next will be a futile and transparently obvious attempt to deny that Sessions is trump's appointed emmisary to Satan...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 33

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

How about we protect the rights of Christians regardless of the color of their skin?

How about you admit the attack was because the victims were BLACK, and NOBODY in America has been attacked and killed BECAUSE they were Christian

The issue is about religion yet you just have to put racism in there.

Again your need for racism.

I have not seen Fox here but since you brought then up, should "no go zones" be protected? No Go Zones do not exist outside the realm of FoxNews where the imaginary becomes terrifyingly real for Foxbots

So then we do not have to be concerned with the no go zones that you brought into the discussion.

And of course your bias - do "fundies" have freedom of religion? Certainly - what they do NOT have is freedom to inflict their religion on others, but Der Trumper is out to change that with his CHRISTIAN Knights of Order Task Force.

I do not recall a group called "CHRISTIAN Knights of Order Task Force". Can you substantiate it or is it just another of your "those" facts?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 33

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Our resident winger seems to think there's nothing wrong with creating a Government task force to protect Christian Churches when the ONLY Christian churches that have been attacked in the last decade "just happened to be" Black Christian churches.

Meanwhile the deadly attacks on Muslim and Jewish congregations are unworthy of consideration as a reason for Government protection in the Trump Administration.

Seems Der Trumper's only rational for this new expenditure of tax dollars is that War on Christmas  and "NoGoZones" being created to enforce Sharia Law in the US he keeps hearing about on Fox...oh yeah, it will also drive more dimwitted Fundies to the polls in November.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 33

@MIseker wrote:

@Panjandrum wrote:

nctarheel:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 33

@Panjandrum wrote:

nctarheel:

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Freedom of Religion VERSUS FREEDOM TO PERSECUTE

Message 9 of 33

@nctarheel wrote:

@bkohatl wrote:

Alabama Jewish Boy.JPG

Your story is repeated time and again, @bkohatl, my friend.

That is why it is so distasteful that OUR GOVERNMENT sees fit to "protect" the MAJORITY RELIGION through use of a TASK FORCE when no mention is ever made of protections for the MUSLIMS, JEWS, HINDUS, SIKHS, GAYS, and other minorities that make up this great country.

That is why those that belong to these minorities see this as the first step toward a THEOCRACY in this country where CHRISTIANITY is the religion of the land.

THIS CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!

THIS ADMINISTRATION NEEDS TO BE REMOVED FROM OFFICE!!!!!!!!

THEY ARE DESTROYING OUR DEMOCRACY AND ITS PHILOSOPHY!!!!!!

Sessions mentioned Jews and Hindus - what are you shouting for????

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 33

@Cirice wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

I have not seen Fox here but since you brought then up, should "no go zones" be protected?

And of course your bias - do "fundies" have freedom of religion?

How about we protect the rights of EVERY AMERICAN, regardless of their religion?

Certainly, but that is not in keeping with the topic.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors