Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: SCOTUS to allow states to collect internet sales taxes

Message 21 of 33

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

The major internet companies collects taxes anyway.  There are even sellers on Ebay that charges tax if your state collects sales tax.  Small mom & pop or individual sellers don't.  But this 'startling' news has been around for some time.

Well, good then. You should have no problem now that companies like LL Bean and Wayfair also have to collect sales taxes. Since it is not a big change and all. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 33

The major internet companies collects taxes anyway.  There are even sellers on Ebay that charges tax if your state collects sales tax.  Small mom & pop or individual sellers don't.  But this 'startling' news has been around for some time.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 33

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Just what do the 99% want and need? BTW, I'm one of the 99%. Getting the tax money is good for the states but it doesn't seem to help the 99%. Maybe the teachers and state employees do well and the state politicians. Do you actually think any of that tax money will "trickle down" to you or me?

Remember when the Republican base was all about EVERYBODY paying income taxes because it gave them skin in the game? Well, here you go. A change to really participate in the same process.  

Oh. I'm sorry. Did I expose more Republican hypocrisy?  When it costs Republicans money skin in the game is not important anymore?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 33

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Just what do the 99% want and need? BTW, I'm one of the 99%. Getting the tax money is good for the states but it doesn't seem to help the 99%. Maybe the teachers and state employees do well and the state politicians. Do you actually think any of that tax money will "trickle down" to you or me?

Maybe  yes and maybe not as far as tricking down to the 99% but what I see is that they are not cutting taxes and then leaving the budgets without any moneys. whether they like it or not the State will use that money to cover the holes that they already have because their very stupid tax cuts. Actually they are raising taxes.

The states and federal government have a formula for their spending. They always spend 20% more than they take in. Keep that in mind when you consider their need for more money.

Only Republicans and those who flunked 4th grade math and high school civics buy this BS.

Government "takes in" 100% of what it spends - either in taxes or by selling government securities. The securities create debt for future generations, the taxes do NOT. Before Reagan cut taxes for the Rich, that debt was $829Billion and cost future generations $25Billion each year. At the end of Reagans term, the debt was $3,757Billion and has been costing every generation since $114Billion each year. That, plus the revenue that is NOT being collected because of Reagans taxscam, means Americans have $1.4Trillion LESS  EACH YEAR to pay for the facilities and services our grandparents had BEFORE Reagan gave the money to the top 1%. That's why your kids or grandkids pay hundreds of bucks to RENT school texts each year and why you have to pay tolls to drive on so much of the Interstate.

Google up the tax tables for 1980, apply them to your current AGI and see if you're paying more or less today. Then repeat the test for a taxable income of $1,000,000 then and now and see how that theoritical individual faired.

TAXES are how we pay to have a civilization. Do you think we're more or less "civilized" then we were in 1980? How about in 1964?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 33

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

The states and federal government have a formula for their spending. They always spend 20% more than they take in. Keep that in mind when you consider their need for more money.

Is that the reason as to why they are always cutting taxes? if the spend more than what they get, they should never cut taxes, they should up their taxes.  LOL

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 33

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Here's the thing about taxes Republicans refuse to accept:

100% of taxes COLLECTED are returned to the 99% in the form of facilities (infrastructure) and services (schools, police, fire).

Taxes CUT are returned to the 1% who use them to become more wealthy without creating a single job or benefit for the 99%.

Even if the Government spending seems "wasteful", like highways that almost nobody uses, the people who BUILT the highway spent their pay which grew the economy. Granted, too much sticks to the fingers of the ones who sign the contracts, but with every tax cut since LBJ's, virtually every dime winds up increasing the wealth of the wealthy while the reduction in services caused by the reduced revenue winds up costing the 99% much more than they will ever see in reduced taxes.

The people and Corporations who get tax cuts use it for THEIR benefit - both buy existing assets that create NO jobs while the reduced revenues end services that the 99% now have to pay for "out of pocket" like the school books that were FREE in the 70's and now cost parents hundreds of bucks for each school child and well-maintained highways that didn't require frequent, costly vehicle repairs for those driving on them.

The ONLY time states cut taxes for their citizens is when the rich people are fleeing their state because the taxes are too high. The only people paying state taxes are those in the 1% (most money taken in) and the other 52% middle class (lower to upper middle class). If you give any tax cut, it must go to those actually paying taxes unless you want redistribution from those that pay taxes to those that don't!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 33

Here's the thing about taxes Republicans refuse to accept:

100% of taxes COLLECTED are returned to the 99% in the form of facilities (infrastructure) and services (schools, police, fire).

Taxes CUT are returned to the 1% who use them to become more wealthy without creating a single job or benefit for the 99%.

Even if the Government spending seems "wasteful", like highways that almost nobody uses, the people who BUILT the highway spent their pay which grew the economy. Granted, too much sticks to the fingers of the ones who sign the contracts, but with every tax cut since LBJ's, virtually every dime winds up increasing the wealth of the wealthy while the reduction in services caused by the reduced revenue winds up costing the 99% much more than they will ever see in reduced taxes.

The people and Corporations who get tax cuts use it for THEIR benefit - both buy existing assets that create NO jobs while the reduced revenues end services that the 99% now have to pay for "out of pocket" like the school books that were FREE in the 70's and now cost parents hundreds of bucks for each school child and well-maintained highways that didn't require frequent, costly vehicle repairs for those driving on them.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 33

@rker321 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Maybe  yes and maybe not as far as tricking down to the 99% but what I see is that they are not cutting taxes and then leaving the budgets without any moneys. whether they like it or not the State will use that money to cover the holes that they already have because their very stupid tax cuts. Actually they are raising taxes.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 33

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 33

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

The Supreme Court has ruled that states can collect sales taxes on goods sold over the internet even if the vendor does not have a presence within the state's borders.  This is going to generate huge amounts of money for state operations and level the playing field with local "brick and mortar" companies.  It is a ruling well overdue. 

This is old news and has circulated around on a number of discussion sites, twitter and other media.

And in this case, old news is good news as it defeats the decades long Republican effort to deny States that ability so they could have to eliminate things the 99% needs and wants.

No wonder GOPers would want to deminish the importance of the ruling - rich people will not receive all the benefit.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors