Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: SCOTUS to allow states to collect internet sales taxes

Message 11 of 33

@n566192l wrote:

Well New Jersey  can certainly  use any extra revenue this will bring. Let's  hope all the extra 💰  is spent wisely  by the powers that be. 

Funny thing about it, is that if you had been adhering to your state's law on Use tax, you should have been paying it all along - with or without this SCOTUS ruling.

This is the case for most all states that have a Use tax law, which is the majority of of them even if the internet vendor, or any sort of an out of state vendor,  does NOT have a presents in your state.

The New Jersy law is clear - so I guess it is the people in your state who don't file and pay their Use tax - that have been depriving the state of income even before now.

New Jersey- Dept of Treasury - Office of Taxation: Do You or Your Business Owe New Jersey Use Tax?

Use Tax is owed by New Jersey residents and businesses that buy products out of state, online, or via the mail, and then bring the products to New Jersey or have them shipped here for their use. When you buy a taxable item or service in New Jersey, the seller collects New Jersey Sales Tax from you on the purchase. But if you buy the same item or service from a company located in another state, you may have to pay Use Tax to New Jersey, even if the out-of-state seller claims your purchase is tax free or collects sales tax for another jurisdiction.

Why Would You Owe Use Tax?

You owe Use Tax if you bought a taxable item or service outside of New Jersey and:

1. You didn’t pay sales tax of any kind, or
  2. You paid sales tax to another jurisdiction at a rate lower than New Jersey’s.  

The above link has more - the tax rate and how businesses and INDIVIDUALS can report and pay their Use Tax.

Just another one of the things which people get away with because it is hard to enforce - and it does not matter into which economical classification you belong - the 99% or the 1%.

Step up people - pay your Use tax in your state, if they have one, and most do,  and bring more needed money into your states coffers.

Really, do people not know about this ???? 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 33

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Just what do the 99% want and need? BTW, I'm one of the 99%. Getting the tax money is good for the states but it doesn't seem to help the 99%. Maybe the teachers and state employees do well and the state politicians. Do you actually think any of that tax money will "trickle down" to you or me?

Remember when the Republican base was all about EVERYBODY paying income taxes because it gave them skin in the game? Well, here you go. A change to really participate in the same process.  

Oh. I'm sorry. Did I expose more Republican hypocrisy?  When it costs Republicans money skin in the game is not important anymore?

You hit the nail on the head. But then, exposing Republican hypocrisy is far less than difficult.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 33

The Supreme Court has ruled that states can collect sales taxes on goods sold over the internet even if the vendor does not have a presence within the state's borders.  This is going to generate huge amounts of money for state operations and level the playing field with local "brick and mortar" companies.  It is a ruling well overdue. 

In my state I already pay sales tax on what I buy on the Internet, and most of what I buy is off Amazon or Homedepot or specialized vendors.

It won't change my habits, truth is I'm not bound by what the local brick and mortar stores sell anymore, and I like it like that.

Instead of some purchasing agent in the local brick and mortar store making the decisions about what I can buy I can shop online and make my own decisions.

Same thing is going on with commercial suppliers, used to be I bought all my materials at " supply houses" now I can use     https://www.supplyhouse.com/  faster, better, cheaper, better selection, free shipping, less picking mistakes.

I get valves at http://www.hodesco.com/ , the Shome valves they sell are far superior to the Legend valves the local supply house sells, lots of good repair stuff there too. 

Another good one is https://www.buildersdepot.com/, good place to buy better then average tools..

Face it guys

The old ways are not better. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 33

Well New Jersey  can certainly  use any extra revenue this will bring. Let's  hope all the extra 💰  is spent wisely  by the powers that be. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 33

@Richva wrote:

We find that we are moving more of our purchasing online. We have 5 Walmarts/Sams Clubs in our city and they are probably doing more damage to the M&Ps than Amazon. On the other hand, we go to Walmart and do not find something then go home and order it online.  The latest example was toilet paper, of all things. We already get soaps and dog food delivered. 

Not necessarily.  Unless one wants to pay more, it is best to go to the store and select it yourself.  Also who wants to depend on a perhaps disgrunted employee to select your item.  You have no choice of which box to pickup.  Our Walmart online shopping is limited to ordering and picking up at store, with refusal if it doesn't fit our specifications.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 33

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Well, good then. You should have no problem now that companies like LL Bean and Wayfair also have to collect sales taxes. Since it is not a big change and all. 

I've found that I can get better prices from Ebay and other places, and for the same items...and faster.  I would prefer to help mom & pop places selling out of their home than conglomerates like Amazon, etc.  Yes, its no change for me as I've ordered from some before.  I have never ordered from LL Bean.

We find that we are moving more of our purchasing online. We have 5 Walmarts/Sams Clubs in our city and they are probably doing more damage to the M&Ps than Amazon. On the other hand, we go to Walmart and do not find something then go home and order it online.  The latest example was toilet paper, of all things. We already get soaps and dog food delivered. 

As we move more purchasing online, states and localities will either have to collect taxes on those purchases or change the tax structure. Now that the SCOTUS has ruled it is legal, it simplifies the solution and levels the playing field for brick and mortar stores. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 33

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Just what do the 99% want and need? BTW, I'm one of the 99%. Getting the tax money is good for the states but it doesn't seem to help the 99%. Maybe the teachers and state employees do well and the state politicians. Do you actually think any of that tax money will "trickle down" to you or me?

Maybe  yes and maybe not as far as tricking down to the 99% but what I see is that they are not cutting taxes and then leaving the budgets without any moneys. whether they like it or not the State will use that money to cover the holes that they already have because their very stupid tax cuts. Actually they are raising taxes.

The states and federal government have a formula for their spending. They always spend 20% more than they take in. Keep that in mind when you consider their need for more money.

48 states have balanced budget requirements.   They can't spend more than they take in.  They have a limited ability to issue debt, unlike the federal government.   

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 33

Does Oklahoma have a sales tax?  Maybe with this new source of revenue, they can reinstate the 5 day school week and actually provide heat in the schools in the winter.

That would be a very good thing.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 33

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

The Supreme Court has ruled that states can collect sales taxes on goods sold over the internet even if the vendor does not have a presence within the state's borders.  This is going to generate huge amounts of money for state operations and level the playing field with local "brick and mortar" companies.  It is a ruling well overdue. 

This is old news and has circulated around on a number of discussion sites, twitter and other media.

And in this case, old news is good news as it defeats the decades long Republican effort to deny States that ability so they could have to eliminate things the 99% needs and wants.

No wonder GOPers would want to deminish the importance of the ruling - rich people will not receive all the benefit.

Well, that depends on the state you live in.  But state taxes generally pay for:

schools

roads

police

fire departments

jails

public transportation

libraries

airports

public pools

parks

snow removal

public water and sewer

trash removal and waste management

health inspections of restaurants 

day care inspections

fire marshal inspections of public venues

It's not trickle down.   We use many of these services daily. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 33

@Richva wrote:

Well, good then. You should have no problem now that companies like LL Bean and Wayfair also have to collect sales taxes. Since it is not a big change and all. 

I've found that I can get better prices from Ebay and other places, and for the same items...and faster.  I would prefer to help mom & pop places selling out of their home than conglomerates like Amazon, etc.  Yes, its no change for me as I've ordered from some before.  I have never ordered from LL Bean.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors