From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: SCOTUS to allow states to collect internet sales taxes

Message 1 of 33

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

State monies are always wasted by the states themselves and not ever to fund the waste by the federal government. That's probably why Obama was not interested in having states collect all that money which funded his taking separate planes for  himself and Michelle/kids.

Bottom line for any President is how much debt did he accrue in 4 or 8 years. I rather doubt that Trump will run up the debt by 100% like Obama did.

Wait, your God Trump takes a weekly vacation to get away from his wife and you are still talking about the  Obama family vacation costs?  Ah, Republican's idea of family values is a bit different than what they pretend. Don't you agree Stormy?

I would point out the "bottom line" for a president is whether he saved the economy from the Republican made Apocalypse as Obama did. 

Next, I would point out the projected deficits created by The Moron. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 33

if individuals had been doing this right all along - paying their USE Taxes - there would have been no reason for the SCOTUS to even get involved

How would the administrative authority audit that?

How would you know if people were paying the tax or not?

The same rationale could be used for in state sales, if people would just pay use tax or sales tax on what they bought that was subject to tax the state wouldn't have to force vendors to collect the tax.

Can you imagine what a nightmare that would be? If each person had to keep a record of every purchase, the sales tax, and the payments?

If that were the case I think there would be rebellion, people just wouldn't do it.

Better to just collect the tax at the till. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 33

@gruffstuff wrote:

However it's easy to see why Internet sales were exempt from sales tax at first, the volume was small and it was a burden to collect, pay and report a lot of different sales taxes for vendors. Now it's big business and I suspect infrastructure has adapted to make it less burdensome.

Like I said, if everybody paid their use tax in states that have it,  people would have been paying their fair share of Internet sales tax even if the company had no presence in their state and did not charge sales tax.

It was ONLY the Internet SELLERS that were exempt from charging sales tax in states where they had no presence - that did not exempt people (the buyers) from paying their use tax if the merchandise was delivered to them in a state that has a sales tax (and a use tax) and the seller did not collect - most people just thought it was tax free to them.  

Applicable Goods that are purchased and brought into a state for businesses or individuals which have not been taxed are suppose to be reported and taxes are due useless the business accounts for them under the 'For Resale' classification -  

Or perhaps it is a piece of something which the business is using to create something else to sell - they are still reported and another line on the business tax form exempts them .  

Individuals get no exemptions on the use tax form.

if individuals had been doing this right all along - paying their USE Taxes - there would have been no reason for the SCOTUS to even get involved - It is just easier  (and easier to track) on the individual to have sales tax paid at the point of sale.  Even though the merchant has to make sure it is right, collected, report and pay it, either manually or with some computer program to do it.

To me this is just another government step-in to fix the responsibility that many people didn't do for themselves and the state where the live.  That's also why employer's collect the employee's part of the income tax from their employees - how many of these employees would do it, if it was up to the individual to pay their own income tax without the involvement of the employer?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 33

@gruffstuff wrote:

However it's easy to see why Internet sales were exempt from sales tax at first, the volume was small and it was a burden to collect, pay and report a lot of different sales taxes for vendors. Now it's big business and I suspect infrastructure has adapted to make it less burdensome.

It can be a burden on small vendors to collect and remit sales taxes for each state.  I'm sure that these vendors would have to obtain a tax number and certificate from each state,  then purchase special software to sort out and remit to the respective ones.

Add that to states like Texas where individual cities and counties also have their separate taxes added on. 

I buy a lot off of Ebay where there are already vendors who collect taxes on purchases from those in many states.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 33

I assume that you are saying that you pay USE tax in your state

My state has a sales tax for in state purchases and a use tax for out of state purchases, every state that collects a sales tax does. In my state the rate for sales tax and the use tax is the same.

It's sales tax by another name, though sometimes, perhaps always,  it's called a sales tax.

Example: if I buy goods from another state they collect sales tax, not a use tax. If I buy goods from a state with no sales tax and it is delivered to me in my state I pay my state sales tax. If I buy goods from a state with a higher sales tax then my state I pay my state sales tax.

It's probably less confusing that way, since different states have different tax rates.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 33

What really enrages the GOPerLords is this 5-4 decision happened because their pet Chief Justice SIDED WITH THE LIBERALS and defeated the four other fascists.

BLASPHEME!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 33

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

It certainly will bring in more income but those Democrats in NJ will waste ALL of the extra money. Your Governor wants to become another sanctuary state so maybe that's what the funds will be used for - caring for illegal aliens.

At least these state monies will not be used to fund Trump's weekly vacations to Mar-A-Lago. Have you ever noticed that the RWNJ's only say "The Democrats waste money" while the liberals give chapter and verse of when and how incompetents like Trump waste money?  It almost makes you think the RWNJ's cannot find any facts. Just bumper stickers. 

State monies are always wasted by the states themselves and not ever to fund the waste by the federal government. That's probably why Obama was not interested in having states collect all that money which funded his taking separate planes for  himself and Michelle/kids.

Bottom line for any President is how much debt did he accrue in 4 or 8 years. I rather doubt that Trump will run up the debt by 100% like Obama did.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 33

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

It certainly will bring in more income but those Democrats in NJ will waste ALL of the extra money. Your Governor wants to become another sanctuary state so maybe that's what the funds will be used for - caring for illegal aliens.

At least these state monies will not be used to fund Trump's weekly vacations to Mar-A-Lago. Have you ever noticed that the RWNJ's only say "The Democrats waste money" while the liberals give chapter and verse of when and how incompetents like Trump waste money?  It almost makes you think the RWNJ's cannot find any facts. Just bumper stickers. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 33

@n566192l wrote:

Well New Jersey  can certainly  use any extra revenue this will bring. Let's  hope all the extra 💰  is spent wisely  by the powers that be. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 33

@gruffstuff wrote:

The Supreme Court has ruled that states can collect sales taxes on goods sold over the internet even if the vendor does not have a presence within the state's borders.  This is going to generate huge amounts of money for state operations and level the playing field with local "brick and mortar" companies.  It is a ruling well overdue. 

In my state I already pay sales tax on what I buy on the Internet, and most of what I buy is off Amazon or Homedepot or specialized vendors.

It won't change my habits, truth is I'm not bound by what the local brick and mortar stores sell anymore, and I like it like that.

Instead of some purchasing agent in the local brick and mortar store making the decisions about what I can buy I can shop online and make my own decisions.

Same thing is going on with commercial suppliers, used to be I bought all my materials at " supply houses" now I can use     https://www.supplyhouse.com/  faster, better, cheaper, better selection, free shipping, less picking mistakes.

I get valves at http://www.hodesco.com/ , the Shome valves they sell are far superior to the Legend valves the local supply house sells, lots of good repair stuff there too. 

Another good one is https://www.buildersdepot.com/, good place to buy better then average tools..

Face it guys

The old ways are not better. 

I assume that you are saying that you pay USE tax in your state - most all states have had a Use tax on their books for a very long time, applicable to both businesses and individuals.

Those that have not been doing it, have been defrauding their own state.

Are we a country where people only pay their fair share if they can't get away with it somehow - Seems so - of most everybody regardless of whether in the 99% or the 1% -

If people had been doing theses taxes correctly, there would have been no reason for this SCOTUS rule - it is just gonna cut out the middle man (the individual) from doing the reporting - so when those internet or some out of state vendor's prices go up because of added state reporting and collections - blame it on the people in the state for not doing what they should have been doing all along.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors