SAD DAY FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: SAD DAY FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION

Message 1 of 17

Soosie- teaching is not a finite art, as you were dealing with people,  not things,and; therefore,  there is no one solution.  I can tell you the two most important things are patience and caring.  I'm not sure if social services really does a very good job as far as teaching parents how to parent and I really have no answers,  for that. but I will tell you that calling something a charter school and passing it off as something better,  while discarding an institution that's been around for hundreds of years, won't solve the problems as the same situations will arise.

Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos is pushing this,  but she never attended a public school,  her children never attended a public school, and she has never taught at a public school. In short, she has no idea what goes on in a public school, which makes her incredibly ill equipped for this job and makes what she's trying to do even worse.

With regard to your last comment,  that door swings both ways.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 17

pc6063...,...I appreciate your response. It was long and detailed, but I still don't see anyone with a plan to fix the problem. I keep hoping someone will come up with a plan. We all seem to be good at identifying problems, but no one seems willing to work together for a solution. Good parenting cannot be mandated. It is hard to imagine the need because I guess I thought we were born with parenting instincts.

When I lived in N. C., I worked with a program where we were trained to go into homes where children had been removed. The goal was to teach that parent basic homemaking and parenting skills. I went into some pretty tough areas. I volunteered for the program and think I was the first chosen because I am an adoptive parent. The overall goal was to create a better home if the child could be placed back.

Again, as long as our country is so divided and we don't work together many things cannot be accomplished. In my opinion there are so many seniors with great parenting skills that could be role models in programs. Teaching on a one on one level may be a key to helping create better skills for parents who need these skills.  At least it is a start. Not everyone has to stay completely retired if they have the health that enables them to volunteer.

Just a note off subject, it is hard to take someone seriously who continues to put others down just because they have different views.  This continues to drive the dividing wedge.

Soosie

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 17

Soosie- in what way do you think teachers hands are tied? If you're talking about state mandated testing, then let me tell you this--any teacher who is adequately doing his or her job is already teaching those items which are on the test.

Secondly, there are professors who have a very strong accents , I found Indian profs very hard to understand, yet I learned to cope  because there are challenges in life and this was just a minor one put in my path.  For the record, two of the best professors I ever had were from India.

There are THOUSANDS of magnificent teachers and professors.You met ONE who was talking about Beyoncé. If you did not enable this teacher, I will  assume  you went to the chair of your department or the dean of students and reported the teacher.

Thirdly, in what way could you possibly construe clothing children who come to school in filthy, smelly rags because their parents either don't care or don't have the money to cloth them properly, or feeding children who can't eat at home because there is no food enabling.  Funny, I always thought that was protecting the youngest amongst us.

With regard to the parents, I will share one incident in which I had one student whose mother threw him out in the middle of winter because he ate the last M & M.  When he told me what had happened, I did three things. 1. I called the nurse who checked him cor hypothermia and  clothed him from a repository of clothing always on hand at our school.

2. I pulled in an aid to sit with my class, making sure they had a clear cut assignment, walked to the office,informed my supervisor as to the situation and called CPS.

3.  I then sat with the child until CPS came, stayed with him during the interview, and sat with him long after,  until a family member came to get him and take him to the safety of her home.

And the mother? I enabled her right into a one-year sentence for endangering the welfare of a child!-and it wasn't her first offense.  Her beautiful son? graduated, thanked me at the graduation ceremony, and then went on to college.  And, by the way, when he took his college English pretest, he was reading on a second-year college level.  That  is how I enabled my students. 

Teachers at my school always spoke about how we could have saved a lot more children had we been able to take them from their parents at the moment of birth.  Unfortunately,  that can't be done. what can be done is for those in the community who see abuse to report  it, instead of turning a blind eye. If they see a child who is neglected or who is struggling,  reach out a hand.  

I've had shame parents into caring about their own children. I've had to call parents and explain to them that their children need them , and I've had to explain to them how and why they are an intrical  part of their children's life. It just amazed me the first time I had a parent say that he never thought about it like that.--incredulous ---parents have to meet teachers partway, and when they don't, teachers do have to make that little bit of extra effort and do what  needs to be done.

As I said before, I wasn't some superhero teacher.  I was one like hundreds of thousands in this country. 

So if you're still thinking while I was doing this I neglected the rest of my students let me tell you that New York State has an English Regents. When I was teaching,  it was a two day,  3 1/2 hour (each day),  five essay beast. I never had a single failure in the last five years I taught.  I believe you sell teachers very short.

House Bill 610 rapes our children of a fair balance education and endangers their future success and that of America's.

I once again ask everybody to call their representatives and ask them to say NO to HS Bill  610. 

Remember that reps are on break.  I called this morning and did get an aid in the Washington DC office to whom I drlivered my message.   All can leave yours Tuesday,  or if it's not too late in your time zone, today.

REMEMBER that without public education,  without teachers in the public educational system,  there would be no doctors, there would be no lawyers, there would be no nurses,  there would be nothing-we would be nothing.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 17
To any poster who thinks I have a low regard for teachers, I would like to write this. In my high school and college days which was long ago, I had great teachers and professors. But, back then their hands were not tied. They actually taught. Most parents supported the teacher and the schools.

My last trip back to school was very different. This time was not so many years ago. One professor spoke limited English and I had great difficulty understanding him. Another teacher was so focused on a few students at the front that she talked mostly about Beonce (sp). Most of the rest of us soon felt left out. After all, Beonce is not what we were there to study. Teachers with biased opinions should not let them spill over into a classroom.

It is very kind to give and protect students. There is also a word called "enabler." Believe it or not some parents could take care of their children's needs, but they put many other things as priorities. They play systems and go to multiple places for their basics. Do the kids suffer? Sure they do? Do they deserve it? Of course not. Until we find a way to have parents lay down those darn cell phones and take responsibility, we will have these problems. I'm thinking the parents need classes.

I have looked up to many teachers. I especially looked up to those who called me down when I needed it. I looked up to those who wrote in clear sentences that I could understand and gave me good directions. I felt loved by the teacher who stopped me from cutting classes.

We can't live in the past. I will applaud anyone who can put together a good game plan to solve our educational problem

Soosie
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 17

Afisher- it never ceases to amaze me that the people who support trump the most, are the people who will  suffer of the most under his ridiculous and thoughtless administration. 

Yesterday he signed an order saying that states now have the right to defund Planned Parenthood, and guess which states will be hurt the most? those very red states whose majority supported the idiot in the White House.

This is the proverbial shooting oneself in the foot. I hope these people like pain.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 17
THANK YOU FOR BEING A TEACHER. I am sure you touch many of lives.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 17

Mimi

I couldn't agree with you more- in 23 years of teaching,  I never once knew of any teacher under suspicion for molesting the student. the fact that we hear about them is because these incidences are so rare. 

I am not the only teacher I knew who supplied children with food, clothing orwho called CPS when there was clearly a problem that  could not be resolved within the context of the school.  I and other teachers stayed active in their personal lives after until We knew that problems were resolved.

Some  of the comments we heard come from those who have no idea what goes on in schools. my own mother told me that all teachers do was sit around in break rooms and drink coffee. I personally didn't even take a lunch break for over 10 years because the needs of my students were so great.  I was not alone in this practice. 

Teaching is difficult and there is much responsibility on the shoulders of teachers who truly have the future of America depending  on their skills.

Thank you for supporting teachers and children and for letting others know how wrong they are.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 17

I recommend that people do nothing and let this bill move forward.   It will galvanize the voters around the country, especially Republican / rural voters who don't have private charter schools anywhere near them.

That is why the Legislature in TX continues to vote against Vouchers, in spite of the far right leadership demand for passing this bill.   

#StayWoke.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 17

Soosie,  so sad that you have such low regard for teachers.  In my experience raising 4 kids and 4 grandsons the teachers were caring and dedicated to students.  They bought supplies, sometimes meals and clothing and shoes.

Most disturbing was your comment:  "Then, there were the teachers who went to prison because they could not control their "urges" toward young girls and boys." WOW! That is so rare I question why you mention it.  What percentage of teachers fall in that category?

Too many American parents have abdicated their responsibilities leaving teachers to make up for that neglect.  Many parents resent having to spend time with homework..... or attending Parent Teachers meetings.

THE WATER IS WIDE by Pat Conroy is worth reading..  I would love to hear your thoughts on that book.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 17

To say this bill is a good thing  that returns control to parents is more than ignorant. 

This bill eliminates equal opportunity for all students!

Easy to read, but let's take a look at just a few programs that will be gone to see what that means.

1. ELIMINATES NUTRITION PROGRAM

A. Children no longer will receive free breakfasts or lunchs. These are often the only meals these children will get during the day.  It's not just left wing rhetoric, I've seen this first hand.

1. Hungry children have trouble focusing, which means they no longer work to their full potential.

PARENTAL CONTROL? The parents of these kids can't afford to feed them-the children are the victims of poverty. Not all kids have same financial stability as yours did. Many of these children's parents are amongst the working poor.

WHY SHOULD YOU CARE? 

These children are the next generation who will run this country. Education is the way out of the cycle of poverty

2. AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS WILL BE ELIMINATED

These programs provide learning opportunities across a broad spectrum. 

Latch key kids have no supervision.  Want to know when crime amongst kids goes up? In those hours after school when there is no supervision.

PARENTAL CONTROL? 

Just how does having kids home alone and prone to all sorts if temptations translate into parental control?  Many  of these kids are too old for sitters-if parents could afford them.

WHY SHOULD YOU CARE?

These children are the next generation to run this country. 

3.  DOES AWAY WITH THE CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES ACT

This ensures that children with disabilities have access to equal educational opportunities. 

PARENTAL CONTROL? 

If we lose this, parents can no longer insist their children have the same educational rights as others

WHY SHOULD YOU CARE?

These children are the future of this country.

4. Gifted students, who need more stumulation in the classroom, may lose their advanced placement classes. 

What does this mean?

A.  They will lose opportunity to take college credit courses-up to a full semester) while still in high school, which saves parents who often can't afford college, money.

B. Students who become bored often develop behavior or attendance problems.

Ahh yes, the number one reason for behavioral problems in the classroom is boredom.  If teachers teach to the top, they lose  2/3 of class. If they teach to the bottom, they lose 2/3. 

C. Eliminating AP programs could mean we lose some of our most gifted scholars.

PARENTAL CONTROL??

Parents of gifted kids will niw have control of paying for tutors to keep their kids stimulated.

WHY SHOULD YOU CARE? 

These children are the future of this country.

4. This bill also does away with accountability programs. Once removed if your kids school isn't doing its job, so what? 

WHERE IS THE PARENTAL CONTROL IN THAT?

This bill does much further damage than the four I've pointed out. But overall, it removes access to fair educational opportunities to all children.

The statutes in place actually GIVE parents control over their children's education in a much more far reaching manner than when we were in school-no matter whether you are 50 or 100. 

I've seen what happens to kids who are throw aways. Please don't let our government throw away large populations of children. Call your reps and ask them to say no to HR Bill 610.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors