Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Rural Kentucky Hit by the Economic Effects of COVID

Message 1 of 1

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-eastern-kentucky-struggling-families-2020-3

So is the food gone in some rural areas because people there are also hoarding?  Even though the virus hasn't really hit them hard yet?  Or has the supply chain been so significantly disrupted that now everyone is suffering from hoarding in the impacted cities?  

The Walmart Supercenter in Corbin, Kentucky, was out of meat. So was the nearby Save A Lot, the Kroger, and several food banks. Coronavirus-fueled panic buying appeared to be in full effect.

On a recent Tuesday, Andrea Moss, age 33, went to all of those grocers. She'd heard she could join the lineup at Walmart, her standby, at 5 or 6 a.m. every day to buy meat for her, her husband, and her four boys and one girl, her youngest. "She's a firecracker," she said.

At Walmart, Moss found a can of green beans and a can of corn. As she picked up the last few jars of peanut butter, a woman who said she had two babies at home asked her if she could have them. Moss handed them over. Then at Kroger, she saw a person dumpster diving.

Moss told her mother, Melinda Lindsey, about the lack of options. Lindsey, an out-of-work, 51-year-old truck driver with coronavirus symptoms, is considering all options.

"I have a big pond out here on my property, so I can fish out of it," Lindsey told me. "We can definitely do some fishing."

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

September is Emergency Preparedness month.

Do you have an emergency plan in place?

Share or ask questions today.

Emergency preparedness kit

Top Authors