Honored Social Butterfly

Rosenstein points clear finger at FBI

Next stage of Russia collusion probe set as Rosenstein points clear finger at FBI

Former deputy attorney general sets stage for Senate to zero in on McCabe, Comey and the FBI.

BY:  John Solomon

Former Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein made clear in his Senate testimony he is no Harry Truman or Janet Reno, two larger-than-life Washington figures from yesteryear who embraced the idea that no matter what went wrong on their watch the bucks stops at the top.

During three-plus hours of uncomfortable interrogation by Republicans and Democrats alike, Rosenstein repeatedly tried to blame others – the FBI and its former deputy director Andrew McCabe often – for failures in a Russia probe he personally supervised.

Rosenstein testified he would not have signed the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act warrant targeting Trump adviser Carter Page for a fourth time in summer 2017 if the FBI had just told him about exculpatory evidence.

He acknowledged the Robert Mueller special counsel probe went on for 18 more months after the FBI knew, by August 2017, that there was no evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia during the 2016 election.

And he claimed the FBI kept him in the dark about the fact that its field agents had recommended closing down an investigation of Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn all the way back in January 2017.

McCabe, the former deputy director and acting director of the FBI, “was not fully candid with me,” Rosenstein said in explaining how he could be so in the dark on so many critical Russia probe issues.

Rosenstein’s performance before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday frustrated many of the committee’s members.

He acted like he wasn't responsible and, you know, that it was somebody else's responsibility to verify these facts,” Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., said on Fox News after the testimony.

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, took Rosenstein to task during the middle of the hearing.

“You came into a profoundly politicized world and yet, all of this was allowed to go forward under your leadership,” Cruz said. “That, unfortunately, leads to only two possible conclusions—either you were complicit in the wrongdoing, which I don’t believe was the case, or that your performance of your duties was grossly negligent.”

Rosenstein could only muster this in response: “You always wish you could have done more.”

Frustrations aside, Chairman Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., got exactly what he wanted out of the hearing as he begins to build his case that wayward FBI leaders allowed a flawed investigation to go forward and hamper Trump’s early presidency unnecessarily and possibly illegally.

There are millions of Americans pretty upset about this,” Graham said. “There are people on our side of the aisle who believe this investigation, Crossfire Hurricane, was one of the most corrupt, biased criminal investigations in the history of the FBI. And we’d like to see something done about it.”

Time and again, Rosenstein tried to suggest to the senators the corrupting of the probe occurred on the FBI’s side, not his.

Here are the key revelations:

Collusion was ruled out early on

"The whole concept, that the campaign was colluding with the Russians, there was no 'there' there in August of 2017, do you agree or not?," Graham asked.

"I agree with the general statement," Rosenstein replied. 

The FBI lacked candor and transparency with DOJ

Rosenstein in many cases appeared to be admitting that he himself was significantly in the dark about the FBI’s early Russian investigations and that McCabe had not been candid with him.

Agent’s recommendation to close Flynn probe was kept secret from him

Rosenstein was asked by Graham if he knew that "in January of 2017, the FBI field office said, 'we recommend General Flynn be removed'" from the F.B.I.'s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

"I did not," Rosenstein responded.

"Would that have mattered?" Graham asked, to which Rosenstein responded: "Yes." 

In hindsight, Rosenstein wishes he did not sign the third FISA renewal.

Rosenstein also told senators that he would not have signed the third and last renewal of the FISA warrant for Trump associate Carter Page if he had been aware of exculpatory information withheld from the FISA court. "If you knew then what you knew now, would you have signed the warrant application?" Graham asked.

"No, I would not," Rosenstein said. 

Rosenstein later indicated that he was not familiar with the full contents of that renewal request. Though he earlier claimed to have read it, he later conceded that he hadn’t read “every page” but that he had reviewed it and was familiar with its contents.

A careful denial about the 25th Amendment plot

Rosenstein denied he ever tried to remove the president from office under the 25th Amendment of the Constitution. “The idea that I was involved in some conspiracy to get the president is ridiculous,” he answered at one point.

When pressed by Sen. Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, if he ever would “suggest or hint at secretly recording President Trump?” as McCabe has suggested, he denied it again.

“I did not suggest or hint at secretly recording President Trump," he answered.

Hirono pressed further, “Have you ever discussed with anyone the possibility of invoking the 25th Amendment to remove this president from office?”

Rosenstein then responded more indirectly. “I have never in any way suggested that the president should be removed from office in the near term.”

McCabe said later Wednesday he believed Rosenstein wasn’t telling the truth. “Mr. Rosenstein’s claims to have been misled by me, or anyone from the FBI, regarding our concerns about President Trump and the Trump campaign’s interactions with Russia are completely false,” McCabe said.

The next steps

Rosenstein’s finger pointing at the FBI opens the door for his committee to interview behind closed doors several frontline players inside the bureau and Justice Department over the next few weeks, and possibly set up another epic hearing with the likes of James Comey and McCabe later this summer.

The question that Graham has now set up in public with Rosenstein’s testimony is clear: Were the FBI missteps in the Russia probe, like keeping Rosenstein in the dark, bureaucratic bungling or an illegal plot to deceive the courts and the nation and to hinder the Trump presidency.

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

The GOP has been on a quest to discredit the FBI.

WHY? Why would anyone attack the World's most respected law enforcement agency?

Because the FBI are the ONLY ones with the resources to investigate and prosecute Corporate Oligarchs and high placed politicians. The Republican party has spent the last 40 years making their crimes legal, and now to make sure none of the GOPerLords has to worry about getting caught for the things they have not been able to legalize, they're going to destroy the only ones who can catch them. Same thing applies to all the heads of the Internal Review activities ToadPOTUS has fired during his maladministration.

If you want Law and Order, you cannot vote for those whose objective is to destroy the police who enforce and defend the Law.

Social Butterfly

No arrests. No indictments. No convictions. No criminals except for convicted Trumpettes..

How many empty conspiracy theories can people believe before they get that they're being conned?

This is truly sad. What a waste of time and resources these wacky theories have been while the country flounders.

Honored Social Butterfly

@LouLit01 wrote:

No arrests. No indictments. No convictions. No criminals except for convicted Trumpettes..

How many empty conspiracy theories can people believe before they get that they're being conned?

This is truly sad. What a waste of time and resources these wacky theories have been while the country flounders.

You are so correct, @LouLit01.

Those on the right spent time on conspiracy theories, misinformation, and distortion when the streets were calm, the market was at its height, there was no virus, and the economy was humming along like a well oiled machine.

Now that there are protesters in the streets(and rightly so), the market was decimated(although there has been some rebound, it may be temporary), the virus is still increasing in many a locale, and the economy is doing ANYTHING BUT humming along(with 13.7% to 19% of the population out of work), what are those are the right concentrating on?

Still concentrating on conspiracy theories, misinformation, and distortion.

Just look at the resources they use.

It is the same fringe resources day after day, week after week, month after month.

It is almost like they are unconcerned about the state of this nation as long as they can continue to propagate a good conspiracy theory, espouse some misinformation that has no basis in fact, or distort a situation(example: peaceful protests on all legit news channels while the FAUX NEWS at FOX pretends that the streets of the nation are war zones.

More and more people are speaking up like you, @LouLit01. There's hope yet.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly

That creaking noise you hear in the distance? that's the collective demoncrat sphincter muscles tightening in Washington.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Honored Social Butterfly

Rosenstein stood by Mueller, and then stood by barr...what side was he really taking, the truth or the trump/barr lies?

Jim is correct, there are choices...good and bad...trump is certainly a bad choice. 

Plus, I’ve always wondering if barr threatened Mueller in any way?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

If JImC were really interested in the truth, he would read the book, "Crossfire Hurricane" by Josh Campbell, former assistant to James Comey. This book tells the entire story of how and why the FBI eventually decided to investigate the Trump campaign.

It had absolutely nothing to do with a Deep State Theory.

Honored Social Butterfly

Talk about floundering...

Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777  Wrote:

Talk about floundering...

++++++++++++++++++++++

I know right?  Like a broken record, like a a broken record, like a broken record...

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 9.24.27 AM.png

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Rosenstein has no credibility. He's a floundering man trying to resurrect his reputation. He reminds me of AG Barr, Trump's number one flunky.

Honored Social Butterfly

Here are some REAL facts from the IG Report. 

"The decision to open the Crossfire Hurricane investigation was made by the FBI's then Counterintelligence Division (CD) Assistant Director (AD), E.W. "Bill" Priestap, and reflected a consensus reached after multiple days of discussions and meetings among senior FBI officials. We concluded that AD Priestap's exercise of discretion in opening the investigation was in compliance with Department and FBI policies, and we did not find documentary or testimonial evidence that political bias or improper motivation influenced his decision. While the information in the FBI's possession at the time was limited, in light of the low threshold established by Department and FBI predication policy, we found that Crossfire Hurricane was opened for an authorized investigative purpose and with sufficient factual predication." 

"We did not find any documentary or testimonial evidence that political bias or improper motivation influenced the FBI's decision to conduct these operations. Additionally, we found no evidence that the FBI attempted to place any CHSs within the Trump campaign, recruit members of the Trump campaign as CHSs, or task CHSs to report on the Trump campaign."

Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking I thought maybe you were interested enough in this topic to have watched his testimony last week.  Guess I was wrong...

Enjoy your day.

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

Facts, documentation, and the truth thoroughly confuses Trump Cult members. They want to believe every conspiracy theory known to man, as long as it's in sync with their distorted view of the real world.

Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking Wrote:

Facts, documentation, and the truth thoroughly confuses Trump Cult members. They want to believe every conspiracy theory known to man, as long as it's in sync with their distorted view of the real world.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Did you not watch Rosensteins testimony on CSPAN?  Did his words "trigger" you?  Hey, it is what it is...  Your post seems to indicate you do not believe he said what he said, under oath.  Does that sound like reasonable behavior?

Here is a fact.  Either Rosenstein is lying or Andrew McCabe is lying.  The committee will get to the bottom of it, most reasonable people, will be able to process that information.  Then some folks will be "Triggered" by it...

Life is full of choices.

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

This article is more of the non-stop make believe Trump World conspiracy theories in their attempt to re-write history, propaganda style (which they learned from Joseph Goebbels).

Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:
Next stage of Russia collusion probe set as Rosenstein points clear finger at FBI

Former deputy attorney general sets stage for Senate to zero in on McCabe, Comey and the FBI.

BY:  John Solomon

As usual, when you research a source of @jimc91's posts, one of several names always pops up.

Here, when you research John Solomon, you find that he was once the EDITOR IN CHIEF of THE WASHINGTON TIMES.

Yes, folks..... the same WASHINGTON TIMES founded by Sun Myung Moon, head of the MOONIES, a CULT, that has ruined the lives and financial status of many a family who lost family members to the cult.

Yes, folks.... the same WASHINGTON TIMES that disputes climate change, second hand smoke warnings, and a variety of other scientifically proven concerns for this earth and its inhabitants.

Yes, folks.... the same WASHINGTON TIMES that has published RACIST content, promoted ISLAMOPHOBIA, and propagated CONSPIRACY THEORIES.

Come on, @jimc91........ I would like to research just one of your sources when THE WASHINGTON TIMES or THE DAILY CALLER or one of the other FRINGE MEDIA OUTLETS doesn't pop up.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly

nctarheel:  Here, when you research John Solomon, you find that he was once the EDITOR IN CHIEF of THE WASHINGTON TIMES.

John Solomon has a reputation for dishonesty, but I doubt that bothers our friends on the right.

The Hill finds John Solomon 'failed' to identify key details of sources

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/19/hill-john-solomon-failed-disclose-details-115976

Honored Social Butterfly

Like I said, I haven't followed this case closely, so I need to catch up on the events.

Here are two videos put out by the Wall Street Journal.

Opinion: Biden Will Answer for FBI Abuse -- WSJ:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/biden-will-answer-for-fbi-abuse-11590077408

and

In this video Rosenstein appears to be pointing the finger at G-men Andrew McCabe and James Comey, and that he (Rosenstein) was left in the dark.

Opinion: Rod Rosenstein Knew Nothing -- WSJ:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rod-rosenstein-knew-nothing-11591310992

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Just like what the FBI has done to others... a possible long prison sentence will make one of the liars start singing. 

The issue is which liar has the most credibility? 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I must admit, early into the Russian / Trump investigation, I wasn't following the details. In fact, I didn't know who Rosenstein was even though I saw people posting about him here on this website. 

Eventually I saw Rosenstein give a couple of press conferences.

Even though I didn't know much about him, to me, he seemed a bit overly zealous. I thought either he hated Trump or he has the goods on Trump.

Now he appears to be joining others with the "I know nothing" defense, and pointing the finger of blame at others who apparently work at the FBI. 

The way Rosenstein is carefully wording his responses makes me suspicious that he knows more than he is letting on.

Those FISA warrents are disturbing and Rosenstein did sign off on them. Now he's implying his subordinates misled him. We hear that same argument all the time from those at the top - in both business and government. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png