Honored Social Butterfly

Richard Jewell

Clint Eastwood made another good movie -- "Richard Jewell".

I watched it on DVD.

"Two of the most powerful forces in the world - the United States government and the media." - a line from the movie Richard Jewell.

It's about the 1996 Olympic bombing in Atlanta, Georgia. I thought the movie was well crafted, the actors were very good -- Kathy Bates (as usual), the guy who played Richard Jewell and the guy who played Jewell's lawyer all seemed very convincing to me.

I remember reading about this story in the 1990s. I, too thought the security guard was guilty of the bombing until one day I read someone named Eric Rudolph was captured and confessed.

The Plot:

Despite never being charged with the bombing at the Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia, security guard Richard Jewell underwent a "trial by media", which took a toll on his personal and professional life.

Jewell was eventually exonerated, and Eric Rudolph was later found to have been the bomber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After his exoneration, Jewell filed lawsuits against the media outlets which he said had libeled him, primarily NBC News and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and insisted on a formal apology from them. NBC ended up paying Jewell $500,000 in the lawsuit.

The New York Post and CNN also paid him an undisclosed amounts in their settlements.

Jewell said the lawsuits were not about money, and that the vast majority of the settlements went to lawyers or taxes. He said the lawsuits were about clearing his name.

After he was exonerated Jewell made some public appearances including Saturday Night Live and a cameo in a Michael Moore movie.

Jewell died on August 29, 2007, at age 44 due to heart failure from complications of diabetes.

Here's the movie trailer...

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png