Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Response to climate change

Message 1 of 26

So are you doing as much as you can to lower your carbon footprint?  Eat plant-based foods, drive an electric car, or better yet bicycle everywhere, take a train instead of a plane, downsize to a small house, communicate with your representatives on the local, state and national levels, demanding that polluters pay, that a carbon fee and dividend be adopted, plant victory and pollinator gardens, stop using plastics, etc etc.........the list is endless.  We must all change, and change is hard.  But necessary, we don't have much time to turn this thing around.

Start a book group, read Drawdown by Paul Hawken, to start.  He cites positive solutions that are working right now, and if implemented on a wide scale, offer hope.  And hope is what we need to go forward.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 26

@rk9152 wrote:

As an uncaring GOPerLord, yesterday I helped kill the planet by using the product of BIGCARBON in my BIGAUTO to pick up the product of BIGPHARMA that I was told to take by BIGMEDICINE. While I was out I stopped by at BIGRETAIL to acquire some of the product of BIGAGRA.

I did all that to delay the actions of BIGUNDERTAKER.

In which case you failed BIGGLY. Everything you did hastens the date of that final appointment, but knowing that would require an investigation of the situation that did not begin and end with FOX and the GOPerbots.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 26

@gruffstuff wrote:

As an uncaring GOPerLord, yesterday I helped kill the planet by using the product of BIGCARBON in my BIGAUTO to pick up the product of BIGPHARMA that I was told to take by BIGMEDICINE. While I was out I stopped by at BIGRETAIL to acquire some of the product of BIGAGRA.

If we hadn't been sitting on out hands since the 1970's you could have used the electric from solar panels and stationary batteries to power your electric car to go the drug store and buy prescriptions though your national health plan and stop by the food store to pick up some food that was grown with pesticides and herbicides that did not become part of the foods you consume and the food chain of other animals and had no effect on you genome.

Should we wait one more lifetime ?

It's looking like one more lifetime is going to be to late to prevent catastrophic damage.

We won't live to see it?

You don't believe your lying eyes?

Well, if "we" have been sitting on our hands since the '70s (why not the '60s?) it appears to go across Party and ideological lines not just us GOPerDupes.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 26

@gruffstuff wrote:

No longer will there be ice to reflect sunlight back onto the earth’s surface;"

That sentence makes no sense which indicates that its author is insane.

It's called the Albedo effect Mr Arm Chair scientist. 

Here's  a picture.

Albedo effect on sea

Wrong. Nothing in that picture depicts, "ice to reflect sunlight back onto the earth’s surface"

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 26

Earlier, I suggested that we inform ourselves and then act.  Here's a good website, i think, offering balanced information on the Green New Deal and other issues......I thought this article, and others on the site, might be of interest: https://www.yaleclimateconnections.org/2019/02/green-new-deal-decisions-hinge-on-four-key-questions/

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 26

@rk9152 wrote:

As an uncaring GOPerLord, yesterday I helped kill the planet by using the product of BIGCARBON in my BIGAUTO to pick up the product of BIGPHARMA that I was told to take by BIGMEDICINE. While I was out I stopped by at BIGRETAIL to acquire some of the product of BIGAGRA.

Well, BIGOIL has finally admitted the impact of greenhouse gasses on the climate and is moving to help curb them.  I continue to be amazed that the MMCC deniers base their arguments on the work of political pundits while the rest of the world, now including Exxon, bases their arguments on the work of scientists. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 26

As an uncaring GOPerLord, yesterday I helped kill the planet by using the product of BIGCARBON in my BIGAUTO to pick up the product of BIGPHARMA that I was told to take by BIGMEDICINE. While I was out I stopped by at BIGRETAIL to acquire some of the product of BIGAGRA.

If we hadn't been sitting on out hands since the 1970's you could have used the electric from solar panels and stationary batteries to power your electric car to go the drug store and buy prescriptions though your national health plan and stop by the food store to pick up some food that was grown with pesticides and herbicides that did not become part of the foods you consume and the food chain of other animals and had no effect on you genome.

Should we wait one more lifetime ?

It's looking like one more lifetime is going to be to late to prevent catastrophic damage.

We won't live to see it?

You don't believe your lying eyes?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 26

No longer will there be ice to reflect sunlight back onto the earth’s surface;"

That sentence makes no sense which indicates that its author is insane.

It's called the Albedo effect Mr Arm Chair scientist. 

Here's  a picture.

Albedo effect on sea

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 26

Any group that petty and irresponsible cannot be given any political power if we are to survive as a Nation.

Or survive as a species, and we're not just talking about the human species, we're talking about an extinction event.

Insects disappearing is a big deal, they are the foundation of the food chain.

Science has a conservative bias, if they say it going to bad, it going to be worse.

Man made climate change is a slow process, it took hundreds of years to get to this point, but now we can see it happening. 

Should we not believe our lying eyes?

The world's population has tripled in one lifetime, from 1950 to 2019.

How long can humans go on like that before we kill the planet?

So I think part of the response to climate change has to be human population control though contraception and family planing.

We need to be opening family planing centers not closing them, not to only address drivers of poverty, but to address climate change.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 26

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors