From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Response to climate change

Message 11 of 26

The GOPerLords deny climate change because it will cost Big Carbon PROFITS if they cannot extract and burn all that coal, oil and gas. The connection is rather obvious, but I'll make it anyway: The GOPerLords ARE Big Carbon, also Big Pharma, etc.

With enough money, they will survive the coming global catastrophe they are causing...until those who will not fair so well realize who is responsible, and since that will include most of our active military and all our vets, its rather obvious the GOPerLords did not think this through. Perhaps they think they will buy the loyalty of those with the big guns, but if they allow their supposed "protectors" inside their sanctuaries, who then will be in charge? DEFINITELY did not think this thru did ya GOPerLords?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 26
SylviaD812355 posted..

You ask "what should we do?" First of all, inform yourself. There is so much information available now regarding the earth and what is happening, read sources like the NYTimes, as well as the Wall Street Journal and the Guardian, the Economist....use google, learn! Be a real citizen...Learn what is happening on your local level, the state level, and the federal government. Learn about the carbon fee and dividend bill, other bills for preserving trees, stopping plastics, composting food..... Then choose to act, letting your representatives know of your concern. In addition, as individuals, learn about your "carbon footprint" and consider what changes could be made in your life to walk more lightly on the earth. Send money to those movements who seem to be doing the right thing, as you get to know them. Read, learn, discern, act! Even then, although I want to believe there is hope, I fear for the future of the young people.....

=============================================

I am for REASONABLE ways to reduce our pollution.and am doing my share to get it done.

I hope you do not believe in the Green New Deal...its a asinine idea. It reminds me of the hypocrite Al Gore and his scare tactics that many feel for.

FYI...

The Green New Deal is a pipe dream, not a serious policy proposal

https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/432105-the-green-new-deal-is-a-pipe-dream-not-a-serio...

A good read if you are interested.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 26

Kid,

What can you do, log into countable.us app

on iOS or Android or through social media, and read total report which T doesn’t believe in, and then draw a logical conclusion, and send it off to your Congressional Rep in DC.

Climate Change is real and happening now, Hope you never experience the thrill of -35 or -45* temperatures.

Trust me it isn’t fun👎 Done that, don’t wish to do again. In the good old day - okay -10 to -20* for 1-2 weeks no problem.

Now, forget it.Contrary to T’a Opinion, it won’t get just warmer. Temperature variances will swing wildly, hotter and colder, widespread flooding , increased hurricanes, blizzards.

Believe the first effect official was a small island off the coast of Mali, Marshall’s Or Kiribati, all are ringing a bell in my memory. As far back as 2011.Its called the oceans are rising now, the glaciers are melting now. Oceans temperatures are rising, now.

10-15 years according to brighter minds than mine.

And T seems to be the only one putting a known climate change denier in power to conduct another panel to research climate change, caused by MAN.

Caused by fossil fuels, pollution,coal, etc.

Guess no one told him or gave pretty little pictures and flash cards of what to expect in our bleak future if nothing is done to prevent that silly 1.5* temperature rise.

Just my 2 cent opinion, as I prepare for another week of overnight -30 to -40* nights with greater winds, this will be my 4th or 5th week. At those types of temperatures, and toss in power outages it’s frigging cold. Hope you never experience the joy of discovering no power, woodstove feeding and still subarctic temperatures while wearing thermal insulated everything and trying to remain warm until power is restored.

Those temperature variances are happening in Maine as in Other states, it’s real. Never required air conditioning when I moved here initially. Now heat pumps or air conditioners to combat 100* to 110* temperatures or more. Thank my neighbor every time I plug into his welder/generator 50 Kw and 300 foot direct cable extension cord.**👍

Before anyone asks the transfer switch failed, replacement couldn’t happen at 8 pm , in rural community. No power generated or from grid available. I felt snark possible.

Its real.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 26

Easy to identify a culprit......  Better to look at our own actions, as well.  Take the time to learn what is happening, if you don't already know - then act.  Support those who are acting responsibly, communicate with your representatives, join organizations like 350.org and the Climate Mobilization, talk with your neighbors, learn why they have supported the president.  Make sure that it doesn't happen again.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 26

Who? Someone we know who is selfish, self centered, does not care about others, gathers with other like minded people who do not care about the world’s populace or future...wanna guess who?

how about those financials donnie

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 26

@SylviaD812355 wrote:
I object to whoever added that information about Republicans, as if that could take care of everything. At least, identify yourself! We are all complicit in creating the current situation which is threatening our existence, and more important, the future of our grandchildren. We must all take responsibility for our actions.

Most of us are well aware of the dire consequences of climate change; indeed we have had this discussion many times before.  But before you get indignant about comments concerning Republicans, I would ask you who removed the United States from the Paris Accord Agreement?  Who is rolling back regulations set in place to promote clean energy and limit carbon emissions?  Who doesn't believe the climate report published by his very own administration, instead electing to cherry-pick his own authors to publish another report, presumably to contradict what has already been proven.  Who ignorantly declares that cold temperatures proves there is no global warming?  Who refuses to take, much less admit, responsibility?

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 26

You ask "what should we do?"  First of all, inform yourself.  There is so much information available now regarding the earth and what is happening, read sources like the NYTimes, as well as the Wall Street Journal and the Guardian, the Economist....use google, learn!  Be a real citizen...Learn what is happening on your local level, the state level, and the federal government.  Learn about the carbon fee and dividend bill, other bills for  preserving trees, stopping plastics, composting food..... Then choose to act, letting your representatives know of your concern.  In addition, as individuals,  learn about your "carbon footprint" and consider what changes could be made in your life to walk more lightly on the earth.  Send money to those movements who seem to be doing the right thing, as you get to know them.  Read, learn, discern, act!  Even then, although I want to believe there is hope, I fear for the future of the young people.....

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 26

In essence, those folks who decry the validity of global warming and the threat it poses to THE WORLD (not just this country), are the same kind of people who for centuries believed the world was flat.  People then feared that if they sailed too far, they would fall off the end of the earth.  Well, if we continue to debate and do NOTHING about the impending global ecological disaster that awaits in the very near future, we won't have to worry about "falling off the earth."  It will simply slowly disintegrate around us (meaning-- more pollution, more destructive and unpredictable changes in weather, and just an  overall reduction in our quality of environmental life).

This in all reality is NOT a political issue.  It is a human right to LIFE issue!

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 26

@SylviaD812355 wrote:
I object to whoever added that information about Republicans, as if that could take care of everything. At least, identify yourself! We are all complicit in creating the current situation which is threatening our existence, and more important, the future of our grandchildren. We must all take responsibility for our actions.

Wrong. "We" do not all have grandchildren. But, thanks a lot for reminding me that I don't. 

I point out that someone with N progeny will, on average, cause N/2 times more carbon dioxide to be released into the air than someone without any progeny. I hope that revelation makes you feel good about yourself.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 26
SylviaD812355 posted..

These reports sound an alarm. We, as responsible elders, must attempt to understand what our young people are protesting, and act both individually and in our legislatures to do what we can to respond.

=============================================================

As the more people we have the more pollution ...one reason or climate change.

I ask you what would you suggest we do?
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors