Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Republicans move in 2017 is cut Social Security

Message 201 of 332

@rk9152 wrote:

cat - you are aware, are you not, that the next recession is right around the corner no matter who gets elected due to the "funny money" of QE and the ridiculous artificial interest rates.

Is it really necessary to personalize every issue as to who will be effected? Can't we all simply be Americans and concerned with America?

Anyone truly concerned about America and not just about their self would not support the de-funding of the SS fund through even partial privatization.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 202 of 332

@rk9152 wrote:

@cat2015 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Hey NOT, speaking of Taxes , where are Trump's Tax returns.

Why do people keep asking variations on that silly question? They are right where the questions of legality are answered - the IRS.

The right is only concerned with transparency when it involves Democrats. When it involves one of their own, they believe any excuse.

Trump is never going to produce his tax returns because he has too much to hide. It has nothing to do with an IRS audit. Buffet's taxes are under audit, and he produced his returns.

cat - try to follow the bouncing ball. The question was, "Where are the Trump tax returns?" and the answer was with the IRS. 

Nothing "the right" in that, just truth.

But Trump can still release them, you cannot be correct in denying that.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 203 of 332

@myexper wrote:

Here it is folks, Hillary saying she will raise taxes on the middle class and stick it to you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLhqobB-88U

Nope ..... Hillary actually stated "AREN'T going to raise taxes on the middle class" in that video ...... as determined using computer analysis by linguistic experts (professors) from the University of Chicago and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Myexper, we have already established that math gives the Radical Right headaches and that the Radical Right does not believe in science. The science of Linguistics from the University of Georgia, the University of Chicago, or the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, means nothing to Radical Right Wingers. Neither does math.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 204 of 332

@rk9152 wrote: (Chasky53 in red text)

@mandm84 wrote:

With all due respect,  rk9152 supports and applauds Trump for " Being Smart " because he hasn't paid Federal Income Taxes for Years ,

With all due respect, rk9152 wonders what mandm84 would prefer to call someone who follows the tax law?.

With all due respect, some support those tax codes and some don't Do you? I don't, and those who don't are mostly on the Left. Hillary apposes them, Trump supports them. I want Hillary in the White House and Dems in Congress, it's our only shot at eliminating those kind of tax codes.

but rk9152 survives on a nice Tax Payer Funded Gov't Pension with Cost of Living Increases and Lifetime Medical Coverage. I

Getting a bit personal there? rk9152 is just like millions and millions of people who sacrificed part of their compensation for  a retirement package to be used later. It's called planning for retirement.

I have a pension and I draw SS. But .... I don't support a change in SS that allows my own personal greed to want to opt out of SS FICA taxes and invest in the Stock Market. I do still work in retirement and still pay FICA taxes. As a true Patriot, I believe in the SS safety net for society. Allowing even a partial opt-out will de-fund the SS program, PERIOD.

F the rest of us Tax Payers were as " Smart As Trump " rk9152 would NOT have his Gov't Pension !!!

Besides expressing bitterness, what does that mean?

You should thank us for our tax dollars, they support you in retirement.

Poster's like rk9152 and a few others, apparently well off , want it both ways to favor themselves and now want Privatization of Social Security so they can Play the stock market with the added cushion of SS money.

Common sense would indicate that neither rk9152 nor any other retiree would be involved in any changes to SS. But, it appears that common sense is not a factor here - only bitterness and envy.

Common sense should indicate to anyone that even allowing a partial opt out of FICA taxes will de-fund SS. It appears that common sense is not a factor here, only bitterness and greed.

Well most dont onhave the Govt Pension Luxury and need S.S. to just survive with some sort of dignity. Some dont seem to understand how lucky they are to have that pension of Luxury and dont seem to get how others are struggling.!!!

What about private sector pensions - are you envious of them to? We all enjoy (or not) the results of past decisions. Once retired, it is too late to say, "I shudda......" but to be bitter about the decisions made by others does seem a wee bit small.

I don't only consider myself in my decisions, I also weigh how they will effect all of those around me and in this world, a concept lost on many Radical Right Wingers. Their decisions often seem to be based on selfishness and greed, that kind of thinking is "a bit small".

People need to look beyond their own noses once in a while , to see some of their neighbors struggling and many to no fault of their own !!!

There , but for the grace of GOD go I !!!

Bottom line - the intention behind proposed SS changes is to increase the outcome for retirees - but only for future retirees. Is that another source of your bitterness - it won't apply to you

No, the intention is to de-fund SS and to give Wall Street and the Elites more blocks of stock money to move around and make millions more in hedge funds and short sales in the Stock Market. They place their own personal greed ahead of the welfare of society as a whole, that greedy "small thinking" once again.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 205 of 332

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@myexper wrote:

Please read and understand the past 6 Republican Budgets to see that it is your Republicans who want to "raise taxes on the middle class" ..... AND NOT HILLARY!!!

Please understand that the Donald said he plans on lowering everyones tax and lowering the corporate tax from 35% to 15% while YOUR candidate specifically singled out the middle class for tax INCREASES.

Here it is folks (with brains) the real original with Hillary saying she was raising taxes on the middle class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLhqobB-88U

Even though Obama has reduced the deficit every year you want to erase that by lowering corporate taxes and funding those cuts on more borrowed money??  Tax cuts are like spending, we cannot afford those cuts. Fiscal responsibility are empty words to Republicans.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Republicans1st move in 2017 is cut Social Security

Message 206 of 332

@GailL1 wrote:

I don't see this as any big decision for people - most, especially in the lower income tier, would not participate in this Voluntary measure.  However, the higher the cap, the higher the progressive computation of benefits, may influence those in the higher income tiers to consider it and determine their own (financial) risk exposure for this investment for their own age.

This does not negate the fact that it would still partially de-fund the SS fund, no way around that.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 207 of 332

@Olderscout66 wrote:

As this thread so aptly demonstrates, GOPers have no clue how SS functions nor can they work the simple math to see just what the average worker will have to replace SS with the "partial" privatization plan Republicans want to use to destroy Social Security and hand trillions over to Wall Street to lose just as they lost half the value of everything on the stock exchange thanks to Republican deregulation and unbridled averice.

Let's see some RW numbers to show the average worker can retire on an investment of 3.1% of their income, or even replace the SS they will lose when they opt for the Republican Scam.

I have posted before about this. Math problems cause headaches in many people, Scout. The Left, on average, is higher educated than the Right Wing base. You are asking the Right to understand math and work math problems to understand and accept your correct position on this. Next to impossible, you give them a headache.

https://www.wired.com/2012/11/painful-math/

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 208 of 332

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Why don't YOU give up your SS?

I'll answer that.  

I don't give up my SS because I participate in this Social Safety Net Program. I am patriotic, I believe that our society needs this social safety net both for society as a whole and for individuals who cannot, by circumstance, save for their retirement or have no job related retirement program. SS needs to be regulated to invest the SS funds in safe investments away from hedge funds and volatile investments in the stock market. It was designed rightly with restrictions as to how the money is invested, mostly bonds.

Social Security is not an investment program, it is an insurance. Greed could induce anyone to want to opt out of SS and invest in the market and I know that. That way if you die, the dollars there would go to heirs, and the gains could be larger than in the SS program. I do not succumb to that greed, I participate in the Social Security (safety net) Program of free will and patriotically believe in it for the good of our society. I do this in the spirit of 'WE', and not just 'ME'.

Society as a whole needs the SS program and it needs strengthened by raising the FICA cap and expanding it. Privatization, even partially, will de-fund and destroy it. IMO privatizing SS is unpatriotic and based on individual greed.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 209 of 332

I think it's telling that you think of SS as "wealth redistribution."

I think it's telling that you say that. The think is that I can't tell if it is "telling" in that you cannot understand what was meant by that or "telling" in that you do and intentionally misrepresented.

Mandm is pointing out that you have a guaranteed federal pension that is generously subsidized by taxpayers and that wouldn't exist if everyone dodged taxes like Trump.

Just have to personalize dontcha? A person's pension is paid for by his employer. whether that employer gets the money from the taxpayers of the consumer is irrelevant.

She's also pointing out that you apparently want to play the stock market with SS funds from the comfort of your guaranteed pension

If she thinks "play the market" is the proposal, she and you are sorely misinformed. Remember the TSP discussion?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 210 of 332

@cat2015 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

I am sure every one has seen the stats that compare the value of a dollar in SS just sitting there and the same dollar prudently invested. So it is hard to see the idea of investing some SS money to have it grow as "destroying SS".

Social Security is no more an investment than your guaranteed federal pension. It's old age insurance. You are proposing that we destroy the very nature of SS and turn it into something different.

Sorry, rk, but that ship has sailed. You're not going to sell anyone on privatizing SS.

1. Again - "I am sure every one has seen the stats that compare the value of a dollar in SS just sitting there and the same dollar prudently invested."

2. Anyone's earned retirement program is not a factor in this discussion.

3. "Partially investment" does not change the purpose of SS, it merely offers the possibility of increased benefits.

4. As an elitist, you really seem to hate the idea of people being able to make their own decisions rather than having the government decide for them.

5. Why do you have so much trouble with the word "partial"? 

Kudos
Views