Honored Social Butterfly

Republicans sense momentum after impeachment win

House Republicans believe they are gaining momentum after a terrible week for Democrats and a strong one for President Trump.

GOP lawmakers are becoming optimistic they have a chance to pick up seats or even win back the majority in November.

Taking back the House would require picking up at least 18 seats and would be a tough climb, but Republicans say the turmoil in the Democratic Party and a strong economy bolstering Trump give them reasons for optimism.

Spirits were running high during the House Republican Conference meeting Wednesday morning — on the heels of Monday’s disastrous Iowa Democratic caucuses and Tuesday night’s State of the Union address and just ahead of Trump’s impeachment acquittal in the Senate — with some members saying they feel better positioned than they have in recent months.

A senior GOP aide who attended the meeting said Rep. Roger Williams (R-Texas) told colleagues, “Let's do what we've been doing, stay on message and we'll get the majority back.”

Republicans felt even more rejuvenated following Trump’s remarks at the White House on Thursday celebrating his acquittal, when he gave enthusiastic shoutouts to his congressional allies such as House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and vowed to help them win back the House.

“I will say that you're going to be Speaker of the House because of this impeachment hoax. I really believe it,” Trump said to McCarthy. “And I'm going to work hard on it. I'm going to try and get out to those Trump areas that we won by a lot. And you know, in ‘18 we didn’t win.”

“We are going to win a lot of seats,” he added. 

McCarthy later said that between the strength of the economy and impeachment polling poorly in battleground districts, he feels good about the GOP’s odds for November.

“Look at our favorability rating — it's the best it's been since 2004, 2005. Look at the successes we've had. And then when you contrast that to the Democrats, what do they have?” he said Thursday before taking a swipe at House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) and Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

“You've got the freshman members in Trump districts very upset that Schiff and Pelosi put them in this place,” he added.

Republicans are also looking to capitalize on Pelosi’s tearing up of Trump’s speech after his third State of the Union address on Tuesday, something they hope to hammer home with swing voters.

“There could be no sharper contrast between the president's State of the Union, talking about the great comeback of America because of the things that he's done to get our economy back on track and rebuild our military, contrasted to the complete and utter incompetence upon Democrats to be able to conduct a caucus in Iowa or to conduct themselves with basic decorum on the House floor during the State of the Union,” House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) told The Hill.

“I think it's a sharp contrast, and America is watching. And they realize these are not the people that can be trusted with the reins of government when you've got a president who's been delivering for families and has real results that benefit hardworking Americans,” Scalise added.

And while the election is still about nine months away, GOP lawmakers said they expect campaigns and outside groups will highlight Pelosi’s actions and the fumbles in Iowa between now and then.

“I'm sure there are going to be some campaigns and organizations that probably put enough money behind an ad making sure it doesn't get out of the attention of the voter because it was so different than what we ever expected in the past,” Rep. Rodney Davis (R-Ill.) told The Hill.

The GOP’s wins this week may have provided a confidence boost, but Rep. Greg Walden (R-Ore.), who served as chairman of the House Republicans’ campaign arm during the 113th and 114th Congresses, said it’s still too early to tell what issues will resonate with voters in the fall.

“I used to tell people when I ran the [campaign arm], I can tell you in August or September what the issues in the election will be, not in February. But I would much rather be in this situation in February than something worse,” Walden told The Hill on Wednesday.

The GOP still faces a number of obstacles in its effort to regain the majority in the House, including unfavorable redistricting in North Carolina, a high number of retirements and Democrats holding a significant fundraising advantage after bringing in $40 million more than Republicans last year.

But despite House Democrats’ cash advantage, Rep. Tom Emmer (R-Minn.), who now holds Walden’s previous post, said he thinks the party will flip back seats regardless of the fundraising gap.

“We don't need to be equal on money. We need to be competitive. I think it's going to be extremely competitive,” he told The Hill in an interview.

”And these guys, again, they haven't accomplished anything they came here to do — all they have been obsessed with is trying to undo the 2016 election. And the only way they can beat Donald Trump at the ballot box is by not having him on the ballot,” he added.

Emmer argued Republicans have other factors that will work in their favor. He said progressives launching primary challenges against Democratic incumbents will be a money suck for lawmakers on the other side of the aisle and help level the playing field for Republicans in terms of campaign spending.

“They're going to have more money, but they're going to burn a lot of this money across the country on these left-wing primaries,” he said.

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

Republicans and tRump supporters "sense" that an habitual liar, a Xenophobe, a Homophobic, a racist white supremacist, a mob mentality Putin loving traitor that invited three foreign countries into our National Presidential Election is a 'good' POTUS.

Well, so much for what Republicans and tRump supporters "sense" !

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Republicans and tRump supporters "sense" that an habitual liar, a Xenophobe, a Homophobic, a racist white supremacist, a mob mentality Putin loving traitor that invited three foreign countries into our National Presidential Election is a 'good' POTUS.

Well, so much for what Republicans and tRump supporters "sense" !

I know that my posts are not welcome here and I am attacked by many for Being a Republican and then for  not being a Trump follower.
But, I am at this time extremely concerned as to what is happening. and I will raise my  voice against many of you, hoping that at least you listen.
 If I was between the ages of 18- 29  I would vote for Sanders. he represents  the ideas  that we have about country and government at that age. but, I have not seen at this time anyone  asking is How in this world is he planning to institute his policies? with a Republican Senate and many of Centrist Democrats if he wins the elections?
I would vote for Mayor Pete but, I don't think that this country is ready to accept a gay man for President. I base my words in facts, Like it hasn't been that long when gay men could;t  get married, rent and department and if they were found to be gay, the FBI would probably fire them.
I think he is brilliant. and eventually he will have a great future in politics.but not at this time.
NOw comes Biden. he obviously has fallen out of grace with many and now my faith is having Bloomberg winning the Democratic Candidacy.
I love Amy, I wish they would choose her as a VP
Sanders world would be fine if the unemployment rate was 12% and not 3% sorry. but if you don't want to understand any of that. we will have the worse nightmare of Trump for 4 more years.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Thank you Nancy Pelosi, leader of the "Sore Loser Society" for the tremendous bounce in the polls and an absolute windfall in fund raising from regular Americans!!!

Most Americans are very tired of the dim message articulated by the democrats.  It must really suck to support the message that failed so miserably on the national stage.  

Anyway, enjoy your weekend folks, we survived all 3 days of winter here in Florida, life is good.

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

Thank you Nancy Pelosi, leader of the "Sore Loser Society" for the tremendous bounce in the polls and an absolute windfall in fund raising from regular Americans!!!

Most Americans are very tired of the dim message articulated by the democrats.  It must really suck to support the message that failed so miserably on the national stage.  

Anyway, enjoy your weekend folks, we survived all 3 days of winter here in Florida, life is good.

There is nothing more silly that counting your chickens before they hatch

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

It could be just gas....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

What else would you expect to hear from THE ALL WHITE REPUBLICAN PARY? They never let the truth get in the way of any message they put out for Trump World. And Trump World never questions or challenges any of their messages.

Millions of Americans were turned off by the Republican Members of the Senate who turned, what was supposed to be a trial, into a dictatorship style debacle. What impact will that have on the 2020 election? It's far too early to tell. But never depend on so called news from the ALL WHITE REPUBLCIAN PARTY.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png