Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Republicans T o Privatize USPS

Message 1 of 5

The Oligarchs would like to see all government services outsourced to for profit companies that the 1% owns and make profits from. At the same time their bought and paid for Congress would give them even more tax cuts.

More for the richest out of the pockets of all of the rest of America.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

Last week, during War Hero Bush's funeral, Der Trumper's OMB issued a "study" recommending the USPS be reorganized to become MORE PROFITABLE, and then the entire operation should be SOLD to a private, unregulated Oligarch.

How would the public insure accountability and the public interest?

How would we stop the UPS and it;s pension fund from being looted, as we have seen happen so many times before during acquisitions?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Would you care if all junk mail was handed off to some private entity?  I wouldn't. 

I don't care about junk mail, as things are I get junk mail delivered along with my essential mail.

I don't see how it would be " more profitable * to do it any other way.

Why have two or more delivery systems for one person's mail?

That could get incredibly expensive in low population states like Wyoming.

As I see it junk mail subsidises essential mail in the current arrangement, some of the cost of delivering essential mail is offset by what the UPS is paid to deliver the junk mail.

Pensions are a problem, but the UPS is not alone in that, local, state, federal government employees, and people set to receive Social Security and Medicare all face that problem.

Truth is they are all probably going to have to take a 20 or 25% hair cut. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

I believe you are misinterpreting the report.

Here it is - A summary of the Recommendations starts on page 74

USPS - A Sustainable Path Forward

In a nutshell, the recommendation says in this respect -

Universal Service Obligation

The USO is a public policy that defines what citizens and businesses need from a government provided postal service, representing a mission statement for a country’s postal system. The generally accepted attributes for defining the USO include specifying the geographic coverage for postal delivery, frequency of delivery, processing standards, mode of delivery, range of required postal products, level of access to post offices, and rules for affordable postal rates.

In the United States, the USO is not clearly defined. For the USPS’s business model to achieve sustainability, the USO must be defined with greater specificity. The Task Force believes that the USO must distinguish between the types of mail and packages for which a strong social or macroeconomic rationale exists for government protection in the form of price caps and mandated delivery standards (“essential services”), versus those types of mail and packages that are commercial in nature, and therefore would not have a basis for government protection. This definition will provide the USPS and the PRC with a framework to sustainably manage pricing, costs, and products.

The link above is the whole report -(December 2018) - something does have to be done - separating it into these classification seems logical to me - that way all Americans will still get these essential services - 

Would you care if all junk mail was handed off to some private entity?  I wouldn't.  

The only thing which I saw in the report which I might have a problem with was the small suggestion that we pay a user fee for our mail receptacle. (Page 10) - HA, HA - wonder if that includes maintenance and repairs?

Why would you think retirement benefits would not stay within the USPS (government) to be given when an employee retires?  We don't transfer a civil employees retirement benefits when they leave and go to some private employer before the day they retire.  

The report calls for restructuring this Postal Health Retirement obligation for the USPS - They are 43 BILLION BEHIND in payments anyway. (Page 10)

Read the whole report before jumping to conclusions because whether this Administration does something about it, another one will have to, regardless of party affiliation.  

The way the USPS works now is a liability to all of us - we need to streamline it to cover only the services which are mandated in clear definition and essential to this mandate.  

How much are you or anybody else willing to pay keeping it as it is today - they have been losing money for many years, not even considering their mandated contributions to their Retiree Health Benefits program.

With making it only essential services like mail delivery as mandated by frequency and coverage, we can keep what we need and let somebody else deliver the junk mail and packages (some or all ).  

As an aside, can we recapture all this money in the USPS Retiree Health Benefits Fund for inclusion into that 'Medicare for All' plan that keeps spinning its wheels in liberal circles?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Republicans T o Privatize USPS

Message 5 of 5

Last week, during War Hero Bush's funeral, Der Trumper's OMB issued a "study" recommending the USPS be reorganized to become MORE PROFITABLE, and then the entire operation should be SOLD to a private, unregulated Oligarch.

Republicans gave the USPS a poison pill in 2006 when they re-wrote rationalism into a requirement for USPS to pay $5.25BILLION each year into their retirement fund until there's enough money to fund retirement of all their employees for another 75 years.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!! The SCOTUS long ago ruled that pension funds were the property of the CORPORATION, not the workers. 

The porcine pukes of the GOP are "fattening up the cow" so they can hand their owners hundreds of billions of dollars IN THE PENSION FUND, which said owners will then decide to use for bigger bonuses, cut staff, and put the Post Office OUT OF BUSINESS.

The Post Office is NOT a "Profit Center". It is a PUBLIC SERVICE, designed from the beginning to provide an essential service to ALL Americans. REPUBLICANS HATE THAT - The new Democratic House needs to find a way to short circuit this monumental cash grab by the GOPers.

Kudos
Views
Replies