Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Republicans Could Have Blown Up Obamacare Yesterday, But Didn’t

Message 1 of 14

rker321--When a single payer tax system was suggested, Reed said he didn't beleive in that.  I personally reminded him that he worked for us and his job was to do as we wished.  Personally, I think that a single payer tax system would work.  It is amazing that with sooo many other countries in some way providing health care to their citizens we can't cherry pick what is the best amonsgt them and get our act together, rather than focusing on how many times a day Little Donnie lies to the American people.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

Gail, it doesn't work that way at all, we have discuss this before. a single payer system needs to be a Federal program and not a State program in order to work.

It is silly to continue to propose plans that have been doomed from the start.

either that, or California secedes, and then becomes a country and then that single payer system will work. But, remember we will need an entry visa to visit California.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

I posted just about the whole text of H.R.676 (John Conyers, D - MI) a while back.  He has reintroduced this same legislation for the last several years.

Since the Republicans have control of the (3) branches of government, maybe he doesn't think he should reintroduce it again for this Congress.  Would not have a chance - especially the way Republicans feel about any new taxes.

But the replacers still might be considering doing away with the tax benefit of some or all of the Employer (and employee) health benefit to help fund the new plan.

Not to worry, I read today that some California state legislator has introduced a bill for single payer in the State of Ca

Kaiser Health News 02/21/2017 Single Payer Bill introduced in CA Senate

I wish them better luck that the few others that have tried to come up with a plan.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

"Congress people and Senators are on some type of Government health care, right?"

Per the 2010 law, members of Congress and their staffs are on Obamacare.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14
either that, or just open Medicare to all???? Its already in place, seniors and others generally are very happy with it. It just makes sense. But the GOP doesn't want government involved in healthcare, never mind that Congress people and Senators are on some type of Government health care, right?
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

Yes PC, the Republicans are learning they will have to essentially keep many of the features incorporated into Obamacare. I suspect they are going to rename it, make some changes, and try to take the credit. 

Obamacare targeted the self employed, those working at companies which don't provide health insurance, and those who are laid off or looking for a job. The Republican plan will target more financially savvy people who don't need much help from the government.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

Gail.

Why is it that no one is proposing a Single payer system instead of a repeal and replace program?

Do you have an idea as to why no one even talks about this option?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

CriticalThinking--When HSA's were mentioned at the townhall here, the immediate response from the crowd was, "HOW WILL THE POOR BE ABLE TO ACQUIRE SAVINGS ACCOUNTS?

NO ANSWER--DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS LOOK.

When tax credits or credits were mentioned, the response was-THAT'S WHAT THE SUBSIDIES ARE-

THE CROWD DID LIKE TRANPORTABLE HEALTH CARE.

SO---where does that leave us?  WITH THE ACA???  Really, all of you, where does that leave us?

GOOD LORD I MISS MR. OBAMA.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

Tom5678--Like most of his ramblings, Trump's plan exists only in his world of fantasy--the only thing we are hearing about the new health plan is that it will include three major tenants of ACA--pre-existing conditions, no caps, kids up to age of 26 who are living at home.  These are the three things Mr. Obama spoke with the "so called president" about when the two met at the WH, Pre-inauguaration.

If you listen to the Congressman who are stumbling their way through the townhalls, there are no other plans.  Trump refuses to read anything longer than a page--how could he possibly be able to produce a health care plan?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14

Your article is wrong on a couple of points.

The last sentence in the 1st paragraph says, "The problem was that there was no funding mechanism for this provision included in Obamacare. So the administration applied other funds from the Treasury."

There was a funding mechanism within the PPACA (Obamacare) - it was called the Risk Corridor Program and it was covered under Section 1342 of the PPACA. (Pub. L. 111–148, title I, § 1342, Mar. 23, 2010, 124 Stat. 211.)

Here is a good synopsis of how the program was suppose to work, why there was debate and what happened up to that point  to bring us to this court case.

Health Affairs - Health Policy Briefs - Risk Corridors 06/26/2014 with an update 02/19/2015

This law gave an enormous amount of power to the Sec. of HHS to move around funds.  When they saw that the fund was gonna be short, there was talk about taking the funds from Medicare - Senator Marco Rubio in December 2015 nipped that in the bud.  Then President Obama was trying to get the U.S. Treasuer to OK fund disbursement from an account used to pay law suits.  Nothing worked so the insurance companies, including many of the co-ops (failed or open for business) ended up filing the lawsuit.

The Republicans now in control of the House, do not want to tank the PPACA (Obamacare); at least not until they have a viable plan available to take its place.    By tanking this lawsuit, IMO, they would have caused even more insurers to vacate the marketplace.  The ACA without any insurers isn't worth much to the people insured through it.  So they have done the only thing which they could do under the circumstances . . . .asked for a delay in the proceedings until they figure out some way to make up for these losses and keep the insurers happy enough to hopefully remain in the (whatever) new program.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors