Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Reporter Fired After Wearing MAGA Hat

Message 1 of 8

I feel the company was justified in this firing. Had I worn politically provocative clothing while I was reporting, I would have been let go too. And rightly so.

As employees we are representing the company, and they have every right to dictate what that encompasses. This is why I feel those employees taking a knee during the national anthem despite company policy against such behavior should be fired.

I used to have a political bumper sticker on my car each presidential election. Never thought much about it. Then I learned that your employer can actually fire you if they wanted to for that. It's a company violation. After that, I only attached the "magnet" type, just in case I was told to remove it.

So, I can certainly see someone from the media getting fired for what he did.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

@LydiaN586309 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Good.   Everyone complains about biased media.  Nothing more biased than a reporter wearing a political hat.  I don't even like it when they are wearing brands like North Face and LLBean.   

At least the station was trying to maintain an appearance of objectivity. 

Well, let me say up front that I am NOT a fan of 45, MAGA, or the present over-conservative leaning and control in Washington today.  But I think that even though this reporter may have violated this outlet's policy, they should have made a "first step" in disciplining him.  For example, for the initial violation--maybe a write-up or a suspension.   Not termination.  I believe that was too harsh and not called for.  

I’d go for that. Maybe he had been warned in the past. I dunno.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Good.   Everyone complains about biased media.  Nothing more biased than a reporter wearing a political hat.  I don't even like it when they are wearing brands like North Face and LLBean.   

Well, let me say up front that I am NOT a fan of 45, MAGA, or the present over-conservative leaning and control in Washington today.  But I think that even though this reporter may have violated this outlet's policy, they should have made a "first step" in disciplining him.  For example, for the initial violation--maybe a write-up or a suspension.   Not termination.  I believe that was too harsh and not called for.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

There’s a logical nexus between a news outlet’s need for objectivity and not allowing a reporter to wear a political hat.

But there is no logical nexus between the NFL’s running a professional football league and a player’s peacefully demonstrating against racism “before” the actual game.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

I feel the company was justified in this firing. Had I worn politically provocative clothing while I was reporting, I would have been let go too. And rightly so.

As employees we are representing the company, and they have every right to dictate what that encompasses. This is why I feel those employees taking a knee during the national anthem despite company policy against such behavior should be fired.

Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

Good thing to hear about.

44>45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Reporter Fired After Wearing MAGA Hat

Message 8 of 8

maga nbc.jpg

Reporter Fired After Wearing MAGA Hat While Covering Trump Rally

10/06/18

A local TV reporter was fired Friday after he wore a “Make America Great Again” hat while covering President Trump's rally Thursday in Rochester, Minn.

Jim Bunner, a multimedia journalist with Minnesota’s NBC affiliate KTTC-TV, was seen sporting one of the president’s signature red MAGA hats and a red jacket with KTTC's logo.

Someone took a picture of Bunner outside the rally.

“He violated our policy so he’s no longer with us,” said Noel Sederstrom, news director for KTTC. “We don’t allow our people to wear campaign clothing while on assignment.”

Many news outlets recommend or have explicit rules against making political displays or statements in an effort to maintain objectivity in their reporting.

Wearing campaign clothing or pins, especially while working, is prohibited across the industry.

Bunner was also vocal on social media about his political leanings.

The outlet found Facebook profile picture of Bunner dancing when Trump was inaugurated.

KTTC News said that Bunner was fired for wearing the MAGA hat at the rally, not because of his social media posts.

“It’s not something we allow,” he said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/410197-reporter-fired-after-wearing-maga-hat-while-covering-trump...

Kudos
Views
Replies