Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Refugees: What's That About GOP Being "CHRISTIANS"?

Message 51 of 58

@nyadrn wrote:

Who should walk around feeling rightous or smug when we have thousands of people in this country sleeping in the streets..  we don't have to import the poor or needy

Nope, no one should feel "righteous or smug" when we don't take care of our own poor.  Not taking care of our own poor justifies nothing, it only shows irresponsibility and lack of compassion on our own part. It doesn't justify us not taking refugees.

Well, I guess that   "Bring me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" means nothing in the United States or to it's people anymore?  You're right ....... nothing to feel smug or righteous about.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 52 of 58

@nyadrn wrote:

Who should walk around feeling rightous or smug when we have thousands of people in this country sleeping in the streets..  we don't have to import the poor or needy

That is entirely correct.  We can't/won't take care of our own but we want to bring more into the country?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 58

Speaking  to the faithful?

No one here is any position to talk about what someone else should do to be more "Christian".. that was kind of a fundamental part of the teachings.. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 58

Like I said previously this am, in 1938 we didn't want any of those Jews from Germany or Poland coming here under visas to escape the coming holocaust, and we saw how well that went for them.

That sounds like a plug for religious discrimination. We should have taken Jews - but what about young German men of fighting age? How about young Japanese men in the early '40s?

Yet, when a Republican suggests such religious discrimination today, they are attacked by the left and mocked by the President.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 58

Like I said previously this am, in 1938 we didn't want any of those Jews from Germany or Poland coming here under visas to escape the coming holocaust, and we saw how well that went for them.

France has the stones to accept their allotment of refugees that they already agreed to accept.

I have bad news for the TP/GOP governors I believe it's against the law not to accept refugees into the US, tempted to call it Murica. Yes, one of those Repugnuts is governor in Maine.

No Christianity, is being shown or compassion to the huddled masses. Seem to recall that Ann Frank's family was also denied entry visas.

Frozen
Guess we are doomed to repeat past mistakes

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 58

This is a harsh criticism but, seriously, if any Conservative sees this, I really want to know, How do you reconcile it? 

How can you call yourselves "Christians" but defend turning away refugees who have suffered? Is this what a "Christian" would do? Is this what JESUS would do?

Maybe a "Republican Jesus"...........you can add Rick Scott to the GOP Governor's gang...Woman Indifferent

Jesus H. Christ Offers to Give Republican Politicians a Christianity Refresher Course

Gay wedding cake topper

http://www.politicalgarbagechute.com/jesus-h-christ-offers-to-give-republican-politicians-a-christia...

KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, ETERNITY — Citing their recent commentary on Syrian refugees in the wake of the Paris, France terrorist attack carried out by ISIS, Jesus Hubert Christ has offered to give “any and all Republican politicians a refresher course in Christianity.”

Many know Mr. Of Nazareth from his lifetime role of Vice-President at Holy Trinity, Inc., the universe’s leading human after life supplier, serving as the “Christ” in “Christianity” for just over 2000 years at time of publication. Christ is considered by most o be the preeminent expert on Christianity. He told reporters at a Monday morning heavenly press conference though, that “clearly there are a hell of a lot of Republicans masquerading as Christians.”

“Here’s the thing,” Jesus told reporters, “the fundamental, core tenet of this hole Me-tianity thing we’ve got going on is agape love. Do you know what agape love means,” Christ asked rhetorically before answering himself, “it means that you’re supposed to love everybody. Literally everybody. See that guy over there that just took a dump on the doorstep of an orphanage? You have to love him. See that woman over there, selling her body for money? You have to love her. That’s how it works.”

Christ said that when he heard Republican governors like Louisiana’s Bobby Jindal, Michigan’s Tom Snyder, Alabama’s Robert Bentley, and Texas’ Greg Abbot announce that they would no longer be accepting refugees from war-torn Syria in light of the ISIS attack on Paris he knew he “had to get those idiots on the horn and disciple some sense into them.” Jesus said that he made several calls to governors’ mansions and presidential campaign managers to “get everyone together so [he] could smack some sense into them.”

“It’s like, literally the most anti-Christian thing you could do,” Jesus said emphatically at one point, “to turn away someone in need of shelter. I mean, did they forget my birth story for Dad’s sake?! 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 58

@runner50 wrote:

How does that work Republicans? You consider yourselves 'Christians." Would JESUS accept the refugees or REJECT them? "Christian" my A**......Would JESUS make everyone pass a "religious test" as Obama has said?......REPUBLICANS are NOT "Christians" but DISGUSTING HYPOCRITES..........Woman Indifferent

Republicans Shouldn’t Call Themselves Christians After Their Response to Syrian Refugees

Read more at: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/republicans-shouldnt-call-themselves-christians-response-syrian-r...

I am not naive enough to believe that there’s no potential of danger in bringing thousands of Syrians within our borders. If you honestly believe that there’s no risk, you need to wake up.

That being said, I support bringing refugees here. Do I feel completely at ease with it? No, I don’t. But I don’t believe in telling thousands of terrified people, many of whom are women and children, that we’re not going to help them. I think the Obama administration owes it to the American people to explain the best they can the screening process they use to verify that the people we do bring here are refugees and not terrorists masquerading as one. I believe that’s where a lot of the confusion and fear comes in with this.

And even though I do fear that a mistake could be made, I cannot in good conscience tell these people that despite our arrogance about being the “greatest nation on Earth,” we’re not going to take in people who are fleeing for their lives from quite possibly the worst collection of evil since the Nazis of WWII.

But the vile lack of compassion and humanity I’ve seen emanating from most within the Republican party has been an absolute disgrace. What’s worse is that it’s nothing but empty pandering to the ignorance that drives their party. Just look at some of these fools like Jeb Bush who’ve suggested that only Christian refugees should be brought here. Yeah, because if ISIS was really determined to find a way through our screening process they couldn’t get through the super tough “Christian test,” right?

After this, in my opinion, Republicans are no longer allowed to call themselves Christians. You can’t vilify and condemn innocents, many of them women and children, to an uncertain future – or even death – and in good conscience say you’re a follower of the values of Jesus Christ.

As the cliché Christian saying goes: What would Jesus do?

Well, I know this much, he wouldn’t turn his back on the needy, the poor and those who desperately need help. And if you think he would, whatever version of Jesus Christ they’re talking about in your church sure as hell isn’t the one on which Christianity is based.

As a Christian myself, I am appalled and ashamed that so many of these Republicans claim to represent my faith when they seem to have no clue what it’s about. Being a Christian is about following the teachings of Jesus Christ above all else. When desperate people fleeing pure evil need your help, you  help them. You don’t ask why – you ask how.

These values aren’t restricted to Christianity, they’re transcendent beyond any faith. These are American values. Now I’m not going to sit here and use the Statue of Liberty and the words displayed upon it to back up my point. Those words are just words. We don’t help people because of what’s mounted on a statue, we help people because this is the United States of America. 

Again, I’m not naive on this. I support taking these people in but they also need to understand that for everybody’s safety and security some sort of monitoring system needs to be put in place while they’re here, at least initially. I know that might sound upsetting to some – too bad. Like I said early, there is a legitimate worry about bringing these folks over here and I think if we’re going to do this we need to be smart about it, which sometimes means not being “politically correct” at all times.

Sadly, there’s a lot of blind bigotry and ignorance that’s fueling a lot of the opposition to bringing them here. That’s exactly what Republicans are pandering to.

So, the next time any Republican proclaims that they’re the party for “Christian values,” I sincerely hope they’re making those comments at a comedy club, because after their reaction to these Syrian refugees, that statement is an absolute joke.

We know that Republicans lie about being observant Christians - in exactly the same manner as they lie about whether their business dealings are moral, ethical and lawful, and that they don't cheat on their spouses...

That fellow Republicans/Conservatives do not condemn and castigate their fellow travellers on the right shows that they tacitly support that dishonesty - as long as they can avoid being linked to it...

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Refugees: What's That About GOP Being "CHRISTIANS"?

Message 58 of 58

How does that work Republicans? You consider yourselves 'Christians." Would JESUS accept the refugees or REJECT them? "Christian" my A**......Would JESUS make everyone pass a "religious test" as Obama has said?......REPUBLICANS are NOT "Christians" but DISGUSTING HYPOCRITES..........Woman Indifferent

Republicans Shouldn’t Call Themselves Christians After Their Response to Syrian Refugees

Read more at: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/republicans-shouldnt-call-themselves-christians-response-syrian-r...

I am not naive enough to believe that there’s no potential of danger in bringing thousands of Syrians within our borders. If you honestly believe that there’s no risk, you need to wake up.

That being said, I support bringing refugees here. Do I feel completely at ease with it? No, I don’t. But I don’t believe in telling thousands of terrified people, many of whom are women and children, that we’re not going to help them. I think the Obama administration owes it to the American people to explain the best they can the screening process they use to verify that the people we do bring here are refugees and not terrorists masquerading as one. I believe that’s where a lot of the confusion and fear comes in with this.

And even though I do fear that a mistake could be made, I cannot in good conscience tell these people that despite our arrogance about being the “greatest nation on Earth,” we’re not going to take in people who are fleeing for their lives from quite possibly the worst collection of evil since the Nazis of WWII.

But the vile lack of compassion and humanity I’ve seen emanating from most within the Republican party has been an absolute disgrace. What’s worse is that it’s nothing but empty pandering to the ignorance that drives their party. Just look at some of these fools like Jeb Bush who’ve suggested that only Christian refugees should be brought here. Yeah, because if ISIS was really determined to find a way through our screening process they couldn’t get through the super tough “Christian test,” right?

After this, in my opinion, Republicans are no longer allowed to call themselves Christians. You can’t vilify and condemn innocents, many of them women and children, to an uncertain future – or even death – and in good conscience say you’re a follower of the values of Jesus Christ.

As the cliché Christian saying goes: What would Jesus do?

Well, I know this much, he wouldn’t turn his back on the needy, the poor and those who desperately need help. And if you think he would, whatever version of Jesus Christ they’re talking about in your church sure as hell isn’t the one on which Christianity is based.

As a Christian myself, I am appalled and ashamed that so many of these Republicans claim to represent my faith when they seem to have no clue what it’s about. Being a Christian is about following the teachings of Jesus Christ above all else. When desperate people fleeing pure evil need your help, you  help them. You don’t ask why – you ask how.

These values aren’t restricted to Christianity, they’re transcendent beyond any faith. These are American values. Now I’m not going to sit here and use the Statue of Liberty and the words displayed upon it to back up my point. Those words are just words. We don’t help people because of what’s mounted on a statue, we help people because this is the United States of America. 

Again, I’m not naive on this. I support taking these people in but they also need to understand that for everybody’s safety and security some sort of monitoring system needs to be put in place while they’re here, at least initially. I know that might sound upsetting to some – too bad. Like I said early, there is a legitimate worry about bringing these folks over here and I think if we’re going to do this we need to be smart about it, which sometimes means not being “politically correct” at all times.

Sadly, there’s a lot of blind bigotry and ignorance that’s fueling a lot of the opposition to bringing them here. That’s exactly what Republicans are pandering to.

So, the next time any Republican proclaims that they’re the party for “Christian values,” I sincerely hope they’re making those comments at a comedy club, because after their reaction to these Syrian refugees, that statement is an absolute joke.

Kudos
Views
Replies