Social Butterfly

Redheaded Stepchildren Left Out in the Cold

For Those On SSI

Beneficiaries of Supplemental Security Income, which often benefits old or disabled people in poverty, are not included in the current version of the bill.

These people don't get sick so no reason to send them checks. Oy.

Honored Social Butterfly

For Those On SSI

Beneficiaries of Supplemental Security Income, which often benefits old or disabled people in poverty, are not included in the current version of the bill.

They don't get a lot of money either, they are the poorest of the poor. Generally speaking they do receive Medicare, but they have to pay for it.

I don't think you could live anywhere in the nation on SSI without other assistance.

Social Butterfly

My latest research finds SSI recipients will get help but may have to file tax returns to get it.

SSI is non-taxable income so many recipients don't file returns. Since the Treasury Dept and not SS is handling stimulus checks... that's a problem. But at least there's hope.

Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers...

Social Butterfly

If you are receiving Social Security benefits but didn’t file taxes in 2018 or 2019, you will be eligible to receive a stimulus check without a tax return based on data available to the IRS from your annual Social Security benefits statement. The government will send you a direct deposit or check using the information from your Form SSA-1099 Social Security Benefit Statement or your Form RRB-1099 Social Security Equivalent Benefit Statement. You will not have to file a 2019 tax return to get a stimulus check.

https://www.aarp.org/politics-society/advocacy/info-2020/coronavirus-stimulus-checks.html?cmp=EMC-DS...

I hope that settes it. 

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

As of 6:45 pm 3/25, Fortune Magazine says no help for SSI.

Just sayin'.

Bronze Conversationalist

For Those On SSI

'Beneficiaries of Supplemental Security Income, which often benefits old or disabled people in poverty, are not included in the current version of the bill.

These people don't get sick so no reason to send them checks. Oy.'

These people are on SSI and are already receiving government assistance no matter what their age. The stimulus is for taxpayers. The limits are stated in the stimulus bill, but the bill hasn't passed the Senate yet last I heard!  So who knows what is in it......for sure?????

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@quidduo wrote:

For Those On SSI

'Beneficiaries of Supplemental Security Income, which often benefits old or disabled people in poverty, are not included in the current version of the bill.

These people are on SSI and are already receiving government assistance no matter what their age. The stimulus is for taxpayers. The limits are stated in the stimulus bill, but the bill hasn't passed the Senate yet last I heard!  So who knows what is in it......for sure?????

Time passed, and now we know: It includes a REPUBLICAN DEMANDED PROVISION to stop FICA payments for up to 2 years. No indication the Fed will replace the lost income to the SSTF, so this is more part of the GOPers obsession with KILLING Social Security and helping people by letting them keep a little more of their paycheck - it will only apply to those who keep working.

On the plus side, it BANS all payments to any business or other enterprise owned by toadPOTUS or his spawn OR ANY MEMBER OF CONGRESS. There's also considerable "oversight" of Mnuchin's handing out the LOANS to big business, something Republicans only agreed to when Bernie told them if they were going to filibuster on that issue, he'd fillabuster on making NO payments to Corporations who paid no Federal income tax or who had profits ofmare than a million bucks. The GOPers decided a little oversight wasn't so bad after all.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@quidduo wrote:

For Those On SSI

That makes no sense. Lots of people who don't pay taxes are getting help. Corporations who don't pay taxes are getting 500 billion with no strings attached according to Bernie. Go look up how much Amazon paid in taxes last year. People who have done their research know there's no money for SSI people for sure. At least not at this point. The info's easy to find. None of this stuff is a secret.

And those people on SSI, which is not enough to live on, pay taxes everyday. They buy a coke, they pay tax, buy a beer, gas, 6 McNuggets, see a movie, tax tax tax.

They said they have a deal. I think they spoke too soon. Now is when the real dealing starts. IMHO.

Honored Social Butterfly

@quidduo wrote:

For Those On SSI

Do you mean we have to wait until it is passed before we know what is in it? I seem to recall that that was a big problem with the ACA according to the right.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png